2019-2020 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Getting scared guys - my CTE to another school is 6/15 and I'm still on the 5/10 WL
Have you contacted Downstate about this? I definitely would if it's still your first choice over the other school

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My fault guys. It's a summer program that introduces us to the type of material we'll see when med school actually starts. They make us take exams and quizzes and what not but none of it actually counts. Its like a prep.

How did you hear about this and how do we sign up?

How do you access banner self service if you are not doing financial aid? Is there a way to find out your ID and password?

Have you contacted Downstate about this? I definitely would if it's still your first choice over the other school

I just sent a continued interest/impending deadline update to their email + uploaded to the portal. Is there a number I can call to directly talk to someone?

I just sent a continued interest/impending deadline update to their email + uploaded to the portal. Is there a number I can call to directly talk to someone?
I’m just curious as to what you will say on the phone? They did give an emergency phone number in one of their emails.

I’m just curious as to what you will say on the phone? They did give an emergency phone number in one of their emails.
I’m actually not sure, maybe something along the lines of “is there any update to my application because my CTE deadline is tomorrow” or something lol. What would be good to say?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m actually not sure, maybe something along the lines of “is there any update to my application because my CTE deadline is tomorrow” or something lol. What would be good to say?
Lol. I’m probably going to do the same, but I’m 99% sure they would reply with at this point your application is currently under review.

I’ve asked for updates several times and the same “your application is still under review” is given every time

Our of curiosity when you called them, what did they say? I'm pretty much in the same boat as well.

Our of curiosity when you called them, what did they say? I'm pretty much in the same boat as well.
They basically said that there were no waitlist movements as of my calling (3PM). However, they also said that schools were not allowed to force students to CTE until a few weeks out from orientation (she said 14 days but she wasn’t sure). Has anyone else heard about this? Btw, my CTE is for Stony Brook (6/15, today lol).

They basically said that there were no waitlist movements as of my calling (3PM). However, they also said that schools were not allowed to force students to CTE until a few weeks out from orientation (she said 14 days but she wasn’t sure). Has anyone else heard about this? Btw, my CTE is for Stony Brook (6/15, today lol).

what number did you call? I keep getting this automated message that the admissions team is working remotely and are not taking calls but actively responding to emails!!

what number did you call? I keep getting this automated message that the admissions team is working remotely and are not taking calls but actively responding to emails!!
I called that one email with the emergency phone number, but it also took me a few tries to get through (I tried every hour)

I called that one email with the emergency phone number, but it also took me a few tries to get through (I tried every hour)
Did they mean that they don’t expect anymore waitlist movement?

Is the medical school class size fixed? On their website they say approximately 200 but I remember looking at MSAR in various years and sometimes it was 201 sometimes 198, and sometimes 203.

Did they mean that they don’t expect anymore waitlist movement?
No, she didn't say that. I think she said to still expect waitlist movement, but as of my conversation with her there was no waitlist movement (no e-mails to be sent out at that point)

just a question, if you sent an electronic pdf. how long did it take them to mark it on the checklist?

just a question, if you sent an electronic pdf. how long did it take them to mark it on the checklist?
It varied for me. Sometimes same day, other times within a couple of days. I sent a few more documents last week, but they still haven't marked it complete. My guess would be they are swamped with us sending documents because we're sending our stuff closer to the deadline.

Does anybody know when orientation/classes start? Their registrar hasn't uploaded the 20/21 calendar yet, but wondering if anybody heard directly from them. Based on last year's calendar, my guess would be orientation starts 8/3 and classes the following Monday.

Reactions: 2 users
It varied for me. Sometimes same day, other times within a couple of days. I sent a few more documents last week, but they still haven't marked it complete. My guess would be they are swamped with us sending documents because we're sending our stuff closer to the deadline.

Does anybody know when orientation/classes start? Their registrar hasn't uploaded the 20/21 calendar yet, but wondering if anybody heard directly from them. Based on last year's calendar, my guess would be orientation starts 8/3 and classes the following Monday.
i think during the Virtual Chat this Friday, we will find out more info in regards to dates and online/in-person, hopefully.

Reactions: 3 users
i think during the Virtual Chat this Friday, we will find out more info in regards to dates and online/in-person, hopefully.

If it goes online, would they be allowing students to possibly defer a year? Hence, more waitlist movements if it comes to that..

there is a virtual chat this friday?

On a real note, when should those of us remaining on the AL reasonably “give up”? I’m trying to hold on to some amount of hope that more people will be picked. Does the waitlist really go on until August? It seems incredibly unreasonable to have students wait that long.

• Sad
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
On a real note, when should those of us remaining on the AL reasonably “give up”? I’m trying to hold on to some amount of hope that more people will be picked. Does the waitlist really go on until August? It seems incredibly unreasonable to have students wait that long.

Same dilemma. I am going to get my health forms completed probably early next week. Hopefully it is worth it haha

Reactions: 1 users
Same dilemma. I am going to get my health forms completed probably early next week. Hopefully it is worth it haha

Yea I went recently. I figured that even if I end up not getting in, I’ll probably need the forms for something eventually. I’m in a fortunate position where I have another A but this waiting game is really becoming unfair to students. The more time passes, the more I get put off by the entire process.

I know someone who got off the waitlist a week before classes started. It happens

There are cases where applicants get accepted super last minute. Had an old coworker get accepted day before classes started and she quit same day lol.. I wouldn't say I'd lose hope, but just be prepared in case you aren't accepted!

Just wondering, other applicants still on the AL, have you guys completed/started the pre matric checklist? If so, which ones have you completed?

For everyone asking this was the email they sent out on 6/3:

Congratulations on your SUNY Downstate acceptance to the College of Medicine!

On Friday, June 19th, 2020, the Office of Student Admissions will be hosting a Virtual chats session with a few of our currently enrolled medical students on Zoom between 3 pm – 4 pm.

If you previously participated in one of our virtual chat sessions, you do not need to participate again. If you were not afforded the opportunity to chat with our students, it is not too late to do so. If you have an interest in speaking with currently enrolled students to learn more about classes, and find out more about what is really special about us, please RSVP via email to: [email protected] to schedule a "Virtual Chat Session".

Please RSVP by Wednesday, June 10th in order to ensure that you receive the Zoom link to the chat session. We will email you this information the day before the event.

See you soon!

Just wondering, other applicants still on the AL, have you guys completed/started the pre matric checklist? If so, which ones have you completed?
I've emailed them my BLS certification and a picture of my passport which they replied to two hours later saying my checklist was updated. I ordered my final transcript to be sent and I'm going to my doc this week to get my health forms filled out. I'm trying to have everything submitted by July 1st, I don't believe there is a specific deadline but generally most schools say to try to get all their forms in at least one month prior to orientation so nothing holds you up (most important thing to submit asap would be the health forms).

I've emailed them my BLS certification and a picture of my passport which they replied to two hours later saying my checklist was updated. I ordered my final transcript to be sent and I'm going to my doc this week to get my health forms filled out. I'm trying to have everything submitted by July 1st, I don't believe there is a specific deadline but generally most schools say to try to get all their forms in at least one month prior to orientation so nothing holds you up (most important thing to submit asap would be the health forms).

Deadline is actually 7/1

Ah okay, thanks for the info. I wonder if the completion of the checklist affects their decisions at this point.

My school's CTE Deadline is July 6th...what are the chances I'll hear before then...I'm still on the 5/10 AL

Has Medadmissions or student health been replying to anyone recently cause they haven't gotten back to me

I emailed last week and got a response a day later. In my experience, it usually takes a day or two.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there like a social or a meet and greet? Thinking of organizing something like that on my own after reaching out to Downstate. I haven't even been accepted into the fb group yet lol

I had sent my electronic transcript on the 12th and the transcript service says it was received on the 12th but I just got a reply from medadmissions saying it hasn't been received as of yet? uh anyone have that issue

Did anybody who get accepted already would like to take a year off and be part of the super awesome class or 2025? So many of us in the waitlist would be super grateful i swear

• Haha
I didn't have that issue. Hours after my transcript was delivered, Downstate checked it off the prematric list. Maybe it ended up in their spam folder or someone opened it but frogot to check it off. You can either resend it all together or email them explaining that it was delivered. I would attach proof of the delivery.
thanks so much for letting me know. deff going to hit them up about it.

Just got accepted Guys 5/6 waitlist. Dreams come true
dont give up

• Love
Reactions: 28 users