2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current AZCOM students watching or active in this thread?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Receiv
Hey, screen however. Whatever gets the best candidates! I just think it's poor taste to charge students for something they have no chance at getting into. I dunno, maybe that's just me, and maybe I'm just salty I got this L

I agree. Not upset at a similar outcome - but surely some action could be taken against a school found to be offering secondaries to students who will subsequently be rejected - in an apparent money grab effort. Obviously no one would do this - but their practice in offering secondaries to applicants who pay the fee and are later told they aren't competitive is really suspect.

Reactions: 1 user
Receiv

I agree. Not upset at a similar outcome - but surely some action could be taken against a school found to be offering secondaries to students who will subsequently be rejected - in an apparent money grab effort. Obviously no one would do this - but their practice in offering secondaries to applicants who pay the fee and are later told they aren't competitive is really suspect.
I agree. I think it is foolish on their end for this move.
They shouldnt both putting applicants on the WL for II. I havent heard of that. While its good to hear, I would rather just wait it out for the actual interview invite email or reject.

How do you like it so far?

It’s a lot of work! However, the support is amazing. Plenty of people here to help and they genuinely want to see you succeed. Everyone from administrators to deans are available to answer questions, alleviate stress, or just chat about places to hike. It’s a very welcoming community so, if you can get over the heat, it’s a great place to apply.

It’s a lot of work! However, the support is amazing. Plenty of people here to help and they genuinely want to see you succeed. Everyone from administrators to deans are available to answer questions, alleviate stress, or just chat about places to hike. It’s a very welcoming community so, if you can get over the heat, it’s a great place to apply.

Is the tuition and financial assistance situation as much of a dilemma as people say it is at Midwestern? I’ve heard it’s extremely expensive and increasing at the Chicago campus, and becoming worse at the AZ campus as well. I know beggars cannot be choosers, but I’d be curious to know what I’m getting myself into were I to go here!

Receiv

Pretty sure they look at your stats to see if you meet their minimum baseline before they take the time to actually review your actual primary/secondary. So is it really unethical? Not really. If Stanford went through each and every application they’d never finish. This isn’t Stanford obviously, but everyone’s got limited amounts of time and their minimum requirements. As a reapplicant who has a bunch of interviews this cycle, I know how easy it is to be angry at the system. Been there, done that. My best advice is to look at your application and assume the worst until proven otherwise. If you get an invite, congrats and good luck. If not, you’ll be one step ahead from where you would be if you had to reapply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure they look at your stats to see if you meet their minimum baseline before they take the time to actually review your actual primary/secondary. So is it really unethical? Not really. If Stanford went through each and every application they’d never finish. This isn’t Stanford obviously, but everyone’s got limited amounts of time and their minimum requirements. As a reapplicant who has a bunch of interviews this cycle, I know how easy it is to be angry at the system. Been there, done that. My best advice is to look at your application and assume the worst until proven otherwise. If you get an invite, congrats and good luck. If not, you’ll be one step ahead from where you would be if you had to reapply.
No anger here and I appreciate your response. The only issue I have is that when asking what could be better about my app, they refer to the current class stats. They had those stats prior to issuing the secondary. So why ask people to complete a secondary who aren’t competitive? Their min stats for a secondary and what what they will actually consider in review don’t seem to align, which makes one wonder why they offered the secondary at all.

Reactions: 1 users
No anger here and I appreciate your response. The only issue I have is that when asking what could be better about my app, they refer to the current class stats. They had those stats prior to issuing the secondary. So why ask people to complete a secondary who aren’t competitive? Their min stats and what what they will actually consider in review don’t seem to align.
Do you have strong letters of rec, enough shadowing, research, clinical hours/scribing? If so, maybe consider spending more time on your personal statement etc if you need to reapply. Literally what I did was look at my app critically, in the cruelest way possible and added to it. Didn’t even ask for feedback because honestly, we’re just another number and a name. No one will look out for you or care for you as much as you

Do you have strong letters of rec, enough shadowing, research, clinical hours/scribing? If so, maybe consider spending more time on your personal statement etc if you need to reapply. Literally what I did was look at my app critically, in the cruelest way possible and added to it. Didn’t even ask for feedback because honestly, we’re just another number and a name. No one will look out for you or care for you as much as you
Forgot to say volunteering and a story. If you don’t have a story, the only thing that can save you are amazing stats.

And about the minimum. There’s no finite minimum. Like I bet they pick like a 3.0 just to say if god forbid, everyone with gpa’s above 3.0’s died. What’s the minimum gpa needed to have a class that can actually graduate? It really depends on who you’re “competing” against. I say that loosely because we’re all here for the same reason and at this point, we’re all in this together.

No doubt and I hear you - truly. I have more than 10 publications, 2 first-authored. I have presentations. I work at a top hospital. I have shadowing experience. I have volunteering hours. My MCAT is low - 504. My GPA could be better. It isn't the 3.55 cGPA they sent me as average for their class. I do need more DO hours. Best of luck to you! Congrats

The point is, Stanford wouldn't send students a secondary application if they didn't meet a minimum baseline, and most other universities wouldn't either. Some universities take the opportunity to make a little extra change off of people, and I think it reflects poorly on them.

The point is, Stanford wouldn't send students a secondary application if they didn't meet a minimum baseline, and most other universities wouldn't either. Some universities take the opportunity to make a little extra change off of people, and I think it reflects poorly on them.

Yeah, usually there is a little more transparency beforehand. Almost all schools that have a hard cutoff clearly advertise that on their website.

You all are so lucky. I havent heard back from anyone yet. I wish I was lucky as you all are right now with receiving news from CCOM!

Can anyone confirm actually getting an R pre-interview? I submitted 8/3, though haven't heard anything yet.. And I feel like this is worse than getting on the preII WL.

Anyone else interviewing 8/29 want to link up? I'm staying at Drury. PM me :)

When I scheduled my interview the only options were in October :( I wish I could reschedule for an earlier date

Still an early interview! I was offered an II for another program last month and had to reschedule this week, they were booked out to November!

current OMS1 at AZCOM lemme know if you have questions. Good school, awesome faculty, very helpful. Open door policy they really live by. The heat is intense in the summer but its dry heat. Good luck to everyone applying!

Last edited:
3.2 ugpa, 3.47 smp, 518 mcat. received a waitlist even though my mcat is above the cut-off?

Hey, screen however. Whatever gets the best candidates! I just think it's poor taste to charge students for something they have no chance at getting into. I dunno, maybe that's just me, and maybe I'm just salty I got this L
I'm in the same boat.
My stats are barely below their "competitive" cut off. But I received a rejection even before my letters of recommendations were in.
I emailed them and they copied and pasted their "competitive" scores and told me that i'm below it - which is why I was rejected.
But at the same time, I also have a friend who went through the SMP program. He had a score of 499 and is currently matriculating this year.
I do agree that they probably try and net all of their high scorers in the beginning to save spots for SMP students at the end.

I was complete 7/20 and haven't heard anything yet! Should I be concerned?