2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
submitted secondary today! everything is complete as of 06/27/19

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
4th yr here. Holla if you have any questions about the school or application process

What kind of residency do you hope to match into? Where are you doing your rotations? How does the school help you prepare for boards?

Thanks for the helpfulness!

What kind of residency do you hope to match into? Where are you doing your rotations? How does the school help you prepare for boards?

Thanks for the helpfulness!
I’m applying EM this fall. Rotation sites are determined by a lottery system and I was fortunate to get the majority of mine in the city (county and Swedish). As far as boards go, the school just gets us 3 months of free uworld

4th yr here. Holla if you have any questions about the school or application process
2 questions;
1. I'm applying as a FL resident, are in-state applicants significantly favored over out-of-state?
2. What is the lowest, highest and average MCAT accepted here? My MCAT is on the low side, and i really want to send in an application but not sure if it's worth it.

Thanks!

2 questions;
1. I'm applying as a FL resident, are in-state applicants significantly favored over out-of-state?
2. What is the lowest, highest and average MCAT accepted here? My MCAT is on the low side, and i really want to send in an application but not sure if it's worth it.

Thanks!

hi, I emailed admissions about MCAT scores and they told me this:

"Thank you for your email! We do not have a minimum MCAT score requirement for our program. Our average MCAT is a 507 and we recommend that applicants be as close to this average to be competitive. Please let me know if you have any additional questions."

don't underestimate yourself, if your mcat is below this but you have other strengths in your app I think it is worth putting yourself out there :)

I have a very low MCAT, retaking next Friday. maybe its naive to think but I still applied because I want to do everything I can on my end to try, ya know?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
2 questions;

Thanks!
As a private institution, there is no bias for in vs out of state applicants. That said, the majority of the class happens to be from Illinois because a lot of in state applicants choose to remain in state for their own reasons. I think my class is something like 40% Illinois.
With regards to the MCAT, I’m not sure what the highest and lowest are. But with the avg being a 507, the best advice is to have your score be as close as possible. Not to say that a low score will cause an automatic rejection. I was on the lower side of the bell curve as well but made up for it in other areas

hi, I emailed admissions about MCAT scores and they told me this:

"Thank you for your email! We do not have a minimum MCAT score requirement for our program. Our average MCAT is a 507 and we recommend that applicants be as close to this average to be competitive. Please let me know if you have any additional questions."

don't underestimate yourself, if your mcat is below this but you have other strengths in your app I think it is worth putting yourself out there :)

I have a very low MCAT, retaking next Friday. maybe its naive to think but I still applied because I want to do everything I can on my end to try, ya know?

If your MCAT is above 500, I think you're okay if your GPA is high. But if lower than 500, prob best to retake then

Reactions: 1 users
I'm doing some research on their programs and do you have any experience with the MWU clinic that's mentioned on their website? There aren't too many details regarding what the med students specifically can do so I was wondering if you/anyone you know has had any experience with it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing some research on their programs and do you have any experience with the MWU clinic that's mentioned on their website? There aren't too many details regarding what the med students specifically can do so I was wondering if you/anyone you know has had any experience with it?
The multi specialty clinic is mainly for the dental school. For CCOM, we have the opportunity to do the Community Heath Clinic or OMM clinic. For those, there is a selection process that is done I believe during winter quarter

My secondary has been complete since 6/29/19. Will the status ever change to "under review" or is it just always marked as complete until you receive an II?

Sorry! that was convoluted, I was just wondering which what were some of the programs at CCOM that you have enjoyed most so far?

I interviewed at all of the established osteopathic schools and a few MD, and it seems CCOM has some of the best facilities compared to the majority of osteopathic schools, as well as decent on-site research facilities with some of the professors producing a good amount of publications.

My guess is that’s where a lot of the tuition $$$ is going since they are constantly building new facilities.

Whelp, just got my MCAT score, looks like I won't be able to apply. I don't think I have the confidence to take it again in September to get a score high enough to be considered competitive that late in the cycle. Looks like I'll have to try again next cycle and try the MCAT again next year.

Good luck to everyone else seriously follow your dreams and I hope people get accepted where they want to go and succeed.

My secondary has been complete since 6/29/19. Will the status ever change to "under review" or is it just always marked as complete until you receive an II?
Where can you find your status??

Whelp, just got my MCAT score, looks like I won't be able to apply. I don't think I have the confidence to take it again in September to get a score high enough to be considered competitive that late in the cycle. Looks like I'll have to try again next cycle and try the MCAT again next year.

Good luck to everyone else seriously follow your dreams and I hope people get accepted where they want to go and succeed.

Don’t get discouraged friend, enjoy the next year and show the MCAT who's boss when the time comes.

That was me last year! I was so sad and thought I would never get in. Took the MCAT again this year for a third time and have three interview invites already with an average score. You can do it, don't get discouraged!

Reactions: 3 users
That was me last year! I was so sad and thought I would never get in. Took the MCAT again this year for a third time and have three interview invites already with an average score. You can do it, don't get discouraged!
WHAT?!?!?! Which school???

PSA: CCOM is $80K/year in tuition alone. Last cycle, I submitted a primary here without doing my research, and then found out the price tag and didn’t bother submitting a secondary. I get that some people have extremely restrictive geographic needs or come from super-wealthy families... but I just wanted to bring this up in case any of you are concerned about finances.

PSA: CCOM is $80K/year in tuition alone. Last cycle, I submitted a primary here without doing my research, and then found out the price tag and didn’t bother submitting a secondary. I get that some people have extremely restrictive geographic needs or come from super-wealthy families... but I just wanted to bring this up in case any of you are concerned about finances.

Isn’t it 73K/year tuition? Still crazy expensive though.

Are we suppose to receive a complete/under review email after submitting our secondary?

Yes, I received one from both Midwestern Campuses saying they got my secondary and they will he reviewing and let me know with updates etc.

IIs started going out around this time last year.. fingers crossed

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone gotten an interview invite yet??
Nope its been quiet for both Midwestern DO campuses...I was marked complete two weeks ago.
Heres hoping II come in this week!

Nope its been quiet for both Midwestern DO campuses...I was marked complete two weeks ago.
Heres hoping II come in this week!
AZCOM hasn’t been quiet—they started II’s several weeks ago.

Oh really? Darn hope I wasnt passed up. I am well in their average.
Heres hoping for this week we receive II from both campuses :)

Oh really? Darn hope I wasnt passed up. I am well in their average.
Heres hoping for this week we receive II from both campuses :)
I’m sure you’re good! I submitted my secondary over a month ago, I’m sure you’ll hear back soon!

II
complete around 7/17 (secondary submitted in June)

II! I am so excited. Good luck to everyone!