2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got accepted off the WL yesterday! Very excited, but holding another A and don't know if I can justify the CCOM tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted to CCOM! Does anyone know when classes start??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there accepted students groups/facebook pages/portals? If so, when does that be made available? Wondering how to get connected with others for housing options.

Do any current students know ways to get reduced cost on Metra, CTA, or Pace? I've never been to Chicago, but it look like I will be using all three systems often and Midwestern isn't on the list I have seen of schools that participate in the U-pass.

Hey guys this probably isn’t the place to do this but I need some advice. I have been accepted to DMU for quite some time now but recently was accepted to CCOM. CCOM is more ideal to me due to location, family/gf close by, and rotating through Chicagoland, but the tuition is ridiculous. Anyone have any thoughts on why they would choose one over the other?

Hey guys this probably isn’t the place to do this but I need some advice. I have been accepted to DMU for quite some time now but recently was accepted to CCOM. CCOM is more ideal to me due to location, family/gf close by, and rotating through Chicagoland, but the tuition is ridiculous. Anyone have any thoughts on why they would choose one over the other?

A few of my friends have chosen DMU over CCOM, despite being local, due to the cheaper tuition and equal caliber of education. DMU has core rotation sites in Chicago for 3rd/4th year which will allow them to move back for those years. So really, you’d only have to be in Des Moines for 2 years but would save around 80k in tuition when it’s all said and done

Tuition at CCOM is high, but there are options to make it more reasonable that eventually convinced me to enroll.
1. Your 3rd and 4th year, you can borrow directly from the school at a 2% interest rate
2. You can apply to be an OMM fellow, where your 3rd and 4th year are covered by the school in turn for a teaching/research year.

DMU is a great option too!

Tuition at CCOM is high, but there are options to make it more reasonable that eventually convinced me to enroll.
1. Your 3rd and 4th year, you can borrow directly from the school at a 2% interest rate
2. You can apply to be an OMM fellow, where your 3rd and 4th year are covered by the school in turn for a teaching/research year.

That’s right I forgot about the OMM fellow position, how many people actually get that per year though?

That’s right I forgot about the OMM fellow position, how many people actually get that per year though?
I believe 3 students, out of 205. But not everyone applies, and it extends your time to an extra year, where your 3rd, 4th, and 5th year as a fellow is covered by the school. It is a great opportunity for those who want to contribute to OMM and have a passion for it!

Last edited:

How did you get to borrow from the school for 2%? Online it says they offer student loans directly from Midwestern for 5% interest.

Edit: Source - Loans

At the end of the day, whether you do OMM scholars or not, your cost ends up being the same. You’re in medical school an extra year, which takes away one year from being in the workforce which is an opportunity cost of $300k. OMM scholars isn’t for you if you’re doing it to “save money” because you’re not saving money. It’s for people who are interested in OMM
I get what you’re saying, but the reality is many competitive specialties require a research year nowadays anyways, and if it’s possible to conduct research and save ~$160k of tuition starts the same time while teaching something you believe in I think it’s worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just keep in mind that at least one of these people advising you to lean towards DMU due to the high costs of CCOM are currently on the waitlist for CCOM and may be saying this just so another spot opens up here haha however they're certainly not lying about the super high tuition

Anyone know if classes/labs and everything are all online? I know campus tours have opened.

I had my tour recently and the lady told us that lectures will be online and labs will be in person but in small groups!

To all waitlisters - have you reapplied yet?
I have my application ready to go. But, because of the pandemic and that it isn't as imperative to submit early to AACOMAS like it is to AMCAS I will likely submit at the beginning of August. Hopefully, I'll get verified in a couple of weeks and submit my secondaries in the beginning of September - I didn't submit any secondaries until the end of November this past cycle so I hope the 2-3 months gives me an advantage. I really think it depends how many schools you're waitlisted at though - if it's only one I'd probably reapply now versus if its 4-5 schools I'd say you could still hold out for another month. Again, this is just my opinion. Unfortunately, if I don't get off any of the waitlists I cannot reapply to MWU CCOM because my MCAT is too old. Thankfully, there are still 9-10 DO schools that accept an MCAT older than 3 years old.

A,B,C,F. No, only scrubs for clinical and OMM lab.

Do you think this could be changing? Under the "academic services" in the student portal, the Grade legend shows what looks like an Advanced Placement/Pass/Fail system. I just found this today.

Do you think this could be changing? Under the "academic services" in the student portal, the Grade legend shows what looks like an Advanced Placement/Pass/Fail system. I just found this today.

The entire university has been very resistant despite repeated student movements.

I assume you are refusing to this:
IMG_9368.png

That only refers to specific codes which may appear in place of grades on your transcript.

This is the grading scale:

The entire university has been very resistant despite repeated student movements.
This isn’t correct. My class that just graduated collectively voted no to change to pass/fail this past year, as this would have affected our residency applications. The M1s and M2s voted in favor of the change, which makes more sense, as their GPA hasn’t been affected by as many graded classes and rotations.

This isn’t correct. My class that just graduated collectively voted no to change to pass/fail this past year, as this would have affected our residency applications. The M1s and M2s voted in favor of the change, which makes more sense, as their GPA hasn’t been affected by as many graded classes and rotations.
Sorry we ruined it for y’all

If it's okay, can I ask how many people are still on the waitlist for CCOM (at least the people on sdn), just to get an idea? I'm still waiting - interviewed 4/6 waitlisted around 4/30

If it's okay, can I ask how many people are still on the waitlist for CCOM (at least the people on sdn), just to get an idea? I'm still waiting - interviewed 4/6 waitlisted around 4/30
Same as Klebsiella1. Been on the waitlist since 05/23. Interviewed on 05/12.

Just got an acceptance call!!! So excited!!! Been on the waitlist since 3/31!

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know how we choose our 3rd clinical rotation site? I don't remember if they told use on interview day

Any waitlist movement in the past couple weeks? I'm officially starting to lose hope.

Just got the official notice that all of the classes seats are full and they are no longer accepting anyone off the waitlist :cryi: just thought this might help provide a timeline for those applying here for the 2020-2021 cycle.

Just got the official notice that all of the classes seats are full and they are no longer accepting anyone off the waitlist :cryi: just thought this might help provide a timeline for those applying here for the 2020-2021 cycle.
Did you get an email? I didn't get anything :/ are you instate or oos?

Yeah, I received an email from Stephanie Gable this morning. I'm OOS.
Oh okay, I called yesterday and was told that I'm still active on the list.. So maybe there's still hope for instate? Though I doubt it because classes started yesterday :(

Can anyone here articulate how/why they justified attending CCOM despite the massively high tuition?

I am a current applicant of the 2021 cycle. I was accepted here and went on my tour last week - I LOVED everything about it, I have family in the Chicago area, but the tuition is so daunting. I am unsure how to justify it, or even know if it will be manageable debt to pay off once I graduate. I have a few other acceptances at smaller schools but I didn't love these places, and still a few interviews left. But again, I really really like this school. If anyone could help me with this decision I would be forever grateful. Feel free to respond or PM me!

Thank you in advance :)

Can anyone here articulate how/why they justified attending CCOM despite the massively high tuition?

I am a current applicant of the 2021 cycle. I was accepted here and went on my tour last week - I LOVED everything about it, I have family in the Chicago area, but the tuition is so daunting. I am unsure how to justify it, or even know if it will be manageable debt to pay off once I graduate. I have a few other acceptances at smaller schools but I didn't love these places, and still a few interviews left. But again, I really really like this school. If anyone could help me with this decision I would be forever grateful. Feel free to respond or PM me!

My decision to attend had a lot to do with personal factors. I'm from the midwest, so I'm closer to family here. Makes traveling home easier. And I love Chicago so being nearby is nice. Alternately, while I liked the other school I was accepted to, it was a pretty new DO school. Not quite as "reputable" as CCOM, I guess. I also didn't want to be in the locations of this other school's clinical sites that had yet to fill, so that had me leaning toward CCOM.

As for non-personal reasons, CCOM boasts a lot about its rotation sites. I had some M4's tell me at my interview that during their residency interviews, they were always asked about working at some of the specific sites (insinuating this was because the sites were impressive). As an M1 I obviously can't speak to the rotation sites, so take with that what you will. Most of them are in the Chicagoland area, which I was excited about for several reasons (I had a lot of experience working with diverse, urban populations in undergrad). One of the M4s actually said the high tuition is worth it because of the "amazing rotation sites," but that's really up to you to decide after some research on them, I think.

CCOM is also one of the first DO schools, which they love to talk about. Most of the faculty have been very helpful (the anatomy department is especially wonderful). I haven't met most of my classmates thanks to COVID, so I don't know how socializing normally would be here. But we connect over group chats, and everyone has been very willing to share resources and help each other out. The campus is nice, but I don't spend a lot of time there, so again, I can't speak to it too much.

Does any of this TRULY justify a 75K tuition? Mm, probably not. It's way too high. But it's a nice school, and as of right now, the tuition is the only thing I can really complain about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Recent grad here. Tuition sucked and I’m not entirely sure I can justify it. However, as the poster above has mentioned, the rotation sites are stellar. During the interview trail, and even now while on different services, people comment on some of the hospitals CCOM had me rotate through and I honestly attribute the quality of my work (not to say it’s superior to anyone, by any means) to my experiences. If you get accepted at a cheaper school with similar rotation quality, go there instead

i personally turned down CCOM bc of the tuition. it was super steep and another school with the same caliber gave me a scholarship. nonetheless, CCOM is a phenomenal school. i would make a pros and cons list depending on where you get in, but i would say, if you get into CCOM and no other DO school with the same caliber (i.e. pcom philly, KCU, MSU, or touro) go to CCOM

just wondering, did you get an A after? I am on the wait list for the 2020-2021 cycle and am trying to gauge if it moves at all... hope you got it somewhere.
I was just placed on the alternate list. Stated it was unranked and would remain open until August.