2019-2020 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone please confirm that the grading system is pass/fail? I thought I heard that it was in my interview, but I cannot find anything on the website to confirm this.
it is!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed March 16th and have not heard anything back yet... I sent in LOI/thank you the night of my interview and received an email that it was received. The portal shows that my decision was already made and that I should wait 7 days but tbh I'm not entirely sure when that change was made to my portal. Anyone else in the same boat? I was told during the interview that they would call if we got accepted so at this point I feel like they would've called already if I did?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed March 16th and have not heard anything back yet... I sent in LOI/thank you the night of my interview and received an email that it was received. The portal shows that my decision was already made and that I should wait 7 days but tbh I'm not entirely sure when that change was made to my portal. Anyone else in the same boat? I was told during the interview that they would call if we got accepted so at this point I feel like they would've called already if I did?

Front desk person told me that right now they’re only sending emails. I believe another person echoed the same thing in this thread. They're probably scrambling with all that is going on and don’t have time to make calls

Can someone please confirm that the grading system is pass/fail? I thought I heard that it was in my interview, but I cannot find anything on the website to confirm this.

So when I spoke to an MS4 the other day, she said the preclinical years are pass/fail and the clinical years are “a numerical score and a letter of evaluation” (like you could get an 85 in radiology and your radiology attending would also submit a write-up about your performance.)
Just wanted to clarify! I hope I’m not remembering wrong or something lol

So when I spoke to an MS4 the other day, she said the preclinical years are pass/fail and the clinical years are “a numerical score and a letter of evaluation” (like you could get an 85 in radiology and your radiology attending would also submit a write-up about your performance.)
Just wanted to clarify! I hope I’m not remembering wrong or something lol

At the Second Look, they said they have not yet determined how clinicals are going to be graded for us. Phase 2 might be pass/fail. Phase 3 will most likely have grades, but they didn't specify what the scale would be.

Last edited:

I'm in the same position (also on the 16th).My portal updated last Tuesday. Going to contact them next week as that will be 6 weeks, which was the max of the original 4-6 week estimate.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same position (also on the 16th).My portal updated last Tuesday. Going to contact them next week as that will be 6 weeks, which was the max of the original 4-6 week estimate.
I have the same portal update and have not heard anything. Interviewed March 9th

Im sure this has been asked already but does anyone have the link for the class of 2024 accepted students group?

I'm in the same position as well, I interviewed on March 23, I called the office and they were very vague they just said I should hear something in the next few weeks

Withdrew my A which really hurt because I absolutely loved my interview here :( but godspeed to everyone on the WL!!

Reactions: 14 users
Has anyone had trouble joining the student Facebook group? I was sent an invitation but haven’t been able to join or find the group for some reason...

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my admissions decision 8 months after interviewing. Withdrawing. Good luck to everyone still waiting and stay safe.

Reactions: 9 users
Were you placed on the alternate list earlier?
Nope, it was the first communication I had from the school since last year, lol. I actually called a couple of months ago and was told there's nothing they can tell me. I'm not salty given how the cycle turned out but when you're told 6-8 weeks and it ends up being months.....

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Nope, it was the first communication I had from the school since last year, lol. I actually called a couple of months ago and was told there's nothing they can tell me. I'm not salty given how the cycle turned out but when you're told 6-8 weeks and it ends up being months.....
Wow 8 months after interviewing! that's such a long time to hear back from a school, especially when you interviewed so early. I was told I was on the alternate list 2 weeks after my interview and subsequently received an acceptance ~2 months later. Did you apply to both MD and MD-MPH program? I only heard about my MD-MPH status and did not hear about my MD status. When I called about my MD status they said admission is independent and I just need to keep checking my email. I probably would have faced the same situation you are in had I not applied to the MD-MPH program.

have people received responses within the last couple weeks from Dean Weisman about chances from the alt list?

have people received responses within the last couple weeks from Dean Weisman about chances from the alt list?
Emailed April 16th, was told "I believe you have a reasonably good chance. We will know more after April 30th."

Emailed April 16th, was told "I believe you have a reasonably good chance. We will know more after April 30th."
did you receive a response the same day? i've emailed him a few weeks earlier and haven't heard back, but I know he must be very busy especially given the circumstances

did you receive a response the same day? i've emailed him a few weeks earlier and haven't heard back, but I know he must be very busy especially given the circumstances
Yeah, I scheduled my email to send at 8:00 AM that morning so it would be at the top of his inbox and he responded within a couple of hours. I do think that they're overwhelmed trying to contact people while probably working remotely, so I'm sure he'll get back to you at some point, hopefully soon.

They’ve been doing multiple second look (and third look) sessions along with their regular day to day work so I’m sure they’re trying their best to respond

I got “I’m still optimistic” on April 20th. Not sure though if he’s actually telling people if they have no shot though. So I’m not sure if that response was actually a good sign.

I got “I’m still optimistic” on April 20th. Not sure though if he’s actually telling people if they have no shot though. So I’m not sure if that response was actually a good sign.

If he told you that I’m almost positive he’s being honest. He usually says something like I think you should begin exploring other options if he doesn’t think you’ll get in. I recommend ppl email him directly and NOT to CC admissions. There’s a much higher chance he’ll respond if it’s just him on the email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Thank you for your email. We hope to be going to our alternate list as we approach April 30th. It is difficult to predict how many seats will become available. "

This to me says "You're not our first choice, but if a lot of seats open up then maybe"

"Thank you for your email. We hope to be going to our alternate list as we approach April 30th. It is difficult to predict how many seats will become available. "

This to me says "You're not our first choice, but if a lot of seats open up then maybe"

Or it could be that he’s been getting the same question from others recently and isn’t able to make a good estimate. I’ve heard he will tell you if your chances aren’t good

Or it could be that he’s been getting the same question from others recently and isn’t able to make a good estimate. I’ve heard he will tell you if your chances aren’t good

Maybe. It is impossible to win a game of speculation, but best of luck to all of us!

Maybe. It is impossible to win a game of speculation, but best of luck to all of us!

I emailed Dr Weisman and got the same exact response several minutes ago. Hopefully things work in our favor!

I emailed Dr Weisman and got the same exact response several minutes ago. Hopefully things work in our favor!

My guy Weis keeps that mf copypasta on the clipboard for us lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
If he told you that I’m almost positive he’s being honest. He usually says something like I think you should begin exploring other options if he doesn’t think you’ll get in. I recommend ppl email him directly and NOT to CC admissions. There’s a much higher chance he’ll respond if it’s just him on the email

I really hope so. Miami is my first choice so I’m crossing my fingers that he actually is optimistic.

i would say youre not out of the running completely, but not to really expect getting off the waitlist. I think hes saying its possible you might but that it wont be in the first rounds after april 30th and depending on how those go in terms of yield there may be a seat for you. Dont wanna bring you down but want to be realistic with you. from ppl in my class most who got off the waitlist most were in the very beginning of major waitlist movement around that May 1st date.

Reactions: 3 users
i would say youre not out of the running completely, but not to really expect getting off the waitlist. I think hes saying its possible you might but that it wont be in the first rounds after april 30th and depending on how those go in terms of yield there may be a seat for you. Dont wanna bring you down but want to be realistic with you. from ppl in my class most who got off the waitlist most were in the very beginning of major waitlist movement around that May 1st date.

I appreciate the candor! I am happy to go where I am currently accepted

I appreciate the candor! I am happy to go where I am currently accepted

Hope I’m wrong but either way congrats on your current acceptance!

So I interviewed and have not received an official decision yet but have sent a letter of intent, I am assuming that means on the waitlist...would it be too bold of me to ask Dr. Weisman my chances?

I think there’s not much point in doing anything right now other than waiting til Apr 30th waitlist; maybe send a LOI if top choice

I know WLs suck but speculating his responses might give y’all more anxiety than what its worth; he’s not gonna be able to tell everyone what their exact order off the WL is.

Reactions: 7 users
So I interviewed and have not received an official decision yet but have sent a letter of intent, I am assuming that means on the waitlist...would it be too bold of me to ask Dr. Weisman my chances?

I would email him and say you’ll go here if you get in. Last year for scholarship offers a bunch of ppl emailed from SDN around the same time asking about matching offers or getting a scholarship and he gave everyone different answers (some optimistic some no’s). I’d say it’s worth it

I would email him and say you’ll go here if you get in. Last year for scholarship offers a bunch of ppl emailed from SDN around the same time asking about matching offers or getting a scholarship and he gave everyone different answers (some optimistic some no’s). I’d say it’s worth it

I made sure to mention that I would go if I get in my letter of intent so I'm thinking I will just leave it at that and wait till April 30th. But thanks for the advice :)

I made sure to mention that I would go if I get in my letter of intent so I'm thinking I will just leave it at that and wait till April 30th. But thanks for the advice :)

Oh I misread the part of you having already sent an LOI. Hope it works out!

Has Miami switched completely to A by email instead of phone call? That would be awesome because I don’t wanna start answering all my robo calls again come next week.

Does anyone know if they usually start sending out As this week or not until May 1st?

When is the commit to enroll date for Miami?

I remember Dean Weisman saying several weeks before the academic calender begins so sometime in late June

I got my alternate list email today. Interviewed in the middle of March (virtually).

Reactions: 3 users