2019-2020 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone having their parents join the Zoom conferences with them tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if phase 1 of NextGen MD is going to be true pass/fail, or is there going to be internal ranking?

Does anyone know if phase 1 of NextGen MD is going to be true pass/fail, or is there going to be internal ranking?

I recall them saying true pass fail but I’ll verify Friday

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We went to true P/F starting with MD 2023 class (no internal ranking). Ranking is based on clinical years.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else on the WL getting sudden onset diarrhea thinking about their movement

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
For anyone that joined the Facebook group, did you receive an email or did you have to reach out to someone about being added?

Any accepted students that haven't received an invite to the FB group can PM me and I can help with that.

For anyone that joined the Facebook group, did you receive an email or did you have to reach out to someone about being added?

Congratulations on your acceptance! They send invites to the e-mail address associated with your AMCAS account. I had to link my AMCAS email to my Facebook account.

Also, I reached out to @JohnnyColorado.

Congratulations on your acceptance! They send invites to the e-mail address associated with your AMCAS account. I had to link my AMCAS email to my Facebook account.

Also, I reached out to @JohnnyColorado.

You are such a beautiful human. Thanks so much!

• Love
I’m just tryna find a Zoom bae today

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know where the MD/MBA application is? I can't find it in the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Luis is the MVP of Miami Virtual Second Look. That man is working so hard and I just want him to know I appreciate him

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I really really hope that the zoom sessions get posted online later, but if they don’t can somebody share some notes from the research/extracurricular sessions? Or any other fun highlights I missed? I had to leave at like 12:30 :(

I really really hope that the zoom sessions get posted online later, but if they don’t can somebody share some notes from the research/extracurricular sessions? Or any other fun highlights I missed? I had to leave at like 12:30 :(

You missed a funny one;

“Why is the MD MPH more expensive?”

“....Because it’s two degrees?”

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
if I want to send a letter of intent, should I just send it to the Office of Admissions via email?

if I want to send a letter of intent, should I just send it to the Office of Admissions via email?
I've had this debate with myself about even sending a letter of intent: is there any point if the waitlist is ranked anyway?

• Sad

I would send one to weisman. Lots of ppl did so last year and they ended up getting off the waitlist (obvi don’t know if they would have gotten off either way). I’d frame it as asking Weisman your chances of getting off and saying you would come here if you did. Historically, he’s been very honest about your chances (he’ll say just hold on or that you should look for other options). Who knows what he’ll say with everything going on but it’s worth a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V random, but I gave a tour to an applicant in mid-March and wanted to touch base with them. If your name starts with M and we talked about your fiance please message me!

I've had this debate with myself about even sending a letter of intent: is there any point if the waitlist is ranked anyway?
Who knows. I submitted one and got off the alternate list two weeks later. If you’re ready to put all your eggs in the UM basket, I would say it’s a good opportunity to put your best writing in front of them with really solid reasons why you want to attend. It can’t hurt if you do it right.

• Love
I would send one to weisman. Lots of ppl did so last year and they ended up getting off the waitlist (obvi don’t know if they would have gotten off either way). I’d frame it as asking Weisman your chances of getting off and saying you would come here if you did. Historically, he’s been very honest about your chances (he’ll say just hold on or that you should look for other options). Who knows what he’ll say with everything going on but it’s worth a shot

so a few people i know including myself have sent letters of intent to weisman and cced admissions, we all got responses from admissions saying that they added it to our file but have not recieved responses from weisman directly

Reactions: 2 users
so a few people i know including myself have sent letters of intent to weisman and cced admissions, we all got responses from admissions saying that they added it to our file but have not recieved responses from weisman directly

Did you explicitly ask your chances of getting off the waitlist?

What did everyone think about the second look curriculum?
The mandatory TBL sessions 4x/week with frequent exams and no traditional lectures make me a little nervous, especially since we’re gonna be the guinea pigs for all of the kinks. But I do like the shortened pre-clinical aspect and greater emphasis on research!

Last edited:
My main worry about the curriculum was how arbitrary it seemed based on the grader, but clerkships are like that anyways. The pre-clinical knowledge is less important with the step changes, but shortening it would make me fear there is less time to build credibility. Just some thoughts I overall think it is very progressive

The mandatory TBL sessions 4x/week with frequent exams and no traditional lectures make me a little nervous, especially since we’re gonna be the guinea pigs for all of the kinks. But I do like the shortened pre-clinical aspect and greater emphasis on research!
I’m also a little worried about this! Although, the students i stayed with said that they tried a lot of the new curriculum stuff with their class (current M1s), so some of the kinks have been worked out. They also said that the administration has been super understanding and accommodating to requests. I am concerned about learning to shift my learning strategies from traditional lectures to this kind of learning.

Yeah, I have some feelings about mandatory group work but honestly knowing it’s only 14 months of such nonsense helps.

(Plus, who knows, maybe I can make myself into a morning gym person and drag myself to these 6am spin classes if I know I have to be on campus at 7:30-8am anyway. It’s a stretch, but...)

It’s been a week since my portal changed and still no decision :( I called and they said it could take weeks..

My main worry about the curriculum was how arbitrary it seemed based on the grader, but clerkships are like that anyways. The pre-clinical knowledge is less important with the step changes, but shortening it would make me fear there is less time to build credibility. Just some thoughts I overall think it is very progressive

But it’s true pass fail so as long as your grader passes you you’re good right?

Is anyone worried that due to covid (NBME stated changes would occur no earlier than January of 2022) Step1 may not change to p/f for our year meaning that we would be taking Step1 and Step2 during the same summer following clerkships.

Is anyone worried that due to covid (NBME stated changes would occur no earlier than January of 2022) Step1 may not change to p/f for our year meaning that we would be taking Step1 and Step2 during the same summer following clerkships.
Yes! I have also thought about this. That would really suck tbh. I feel like there's a good chance we'd have a numerically scored Step1. I would hate to take both exams in one summer if Step1 is not p/f

Yes! I have also thought about this. That would really suck tbh. I feel like there's a good chance we'd have a numerically scored Step1. I would hate to take both exams in one summer if Step1 is not p/f
I feel like a lot of the steps that need to be taken to make Step1 P/F are pretty independent of COVID, but taking both would be really hard. I guess we do get 3 months but still....

Are there no traditional lectures at all? I assumed there would be pre-recorded lecture videos that we would watch prior to coming in for the TBL sessions--but I guess I never actually heard them state this.

Are there no traditional lectures at all? I assumed there would be pre-recorded lecture videos that we would watch prior to coming in for the TBL sessions--but I guess I never actually heard them state this.

I think, though I'm not sure, it will be a mix of things depending on what is needed for that specific TBL. So maybe a lecture video, a reading, or both. That's a good question to ask at the Third Look on Friday though.

Reactions: 2 users
I think, though I'm not sure, it will be a mix of things depending on what is needed for that specific TBL. So maybe a lecture video, a reading, or both. That's a good question to ask at the Third Look on Friday though.

If I were you guys I would make sure to press them on how many hours per week you would have mandatories. That’ll be super important depending on your learning style (for example it would be good if you learn in small groups but not so much if you learn better on your own)

Reactions: 6 users
Can someone please confirm that the grading system is pass/fail? I thought I heard that it was in my interview, but I cannot find anything on the website to confirm this.