2019-2020 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you all please post the prompts?

Reactions: 1 user
1. Please explain your primary interest in applying to the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University.
2. Please describe your motivation for becoming a physician. What contributions do you feel that you could make to the medical profession in the future?
3. Please list any additional clinical experiences that are not included on your AMCAS application. Please include the physician’s name OR type of experience (i.e., Nursing, PA, EMT, E.R. Scribe, etc.) in the description column below along with the location, dates and total number of hours. If no additional experiences have occurred, please select "N/A."
4. The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of our school. The Admissions Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
5. Please describe the geographical area in which you would most likely practice medicine. Please include the country, region, state, city and/or town in your response.
6. Please explain any inconsistencies in your academic record. This may include below average course performance, grade trends, MCAT scores, etc.
7. If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed in your application.

All 400 words minus question 3 which just lets you add a name/description of the experience

Members don't see this ad :)
How many words are you all writing for number 5? I'm finding it difficult to fill up to 400 words.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm a rising M1 and I figured since I just finished the process I may be able to help you guys with questions so feel free to ask!
Hey can you describe the differences between all the regional campuses? I know it probably wont affect my education till at least second year, but I was wondering what was different about them

Anyone still waiting for a secondary? IS here that was verified early.

Hey can you describe the differences between all the regional campuses? I know it probably wont affect my education till at least second year, but I was wondering what was different about them

He/she can give you a more in depth answer of course but I know that you can start at the Athens campus in your first year if you want and their curriculum focuses on problem-based learning. Not sure about what the other campuses offer starting M3 but I assume they have mostly to do with the type of clinical experience you're looking for (ie. rural, etc.).

Anyone still waiting for a secondary? IS here that was verified early.

I'm there with ya haha. I'm sitting on like 15 apps to get done but I'm considering going ahead and prewriting this one since it is one of my top school choices and most possible as an IS applicant.

i applied previously and was waitlisted so might be why I received a secondary earlier....just a thought

Does anyone know if the CASPer is required to be completed and scores received before they review your app and offer an II?

Does anyone know if the CASPer is required to be completed and scores received before they review your app and offer an II?
I think you just have to complete it, but the scores aren’t required for an II. (Very heavy on the “I think”.)

I think you just have to complete it, but the scores aren’t required for an II. (Very heavy on the “I think”.)
when i called them, they said "application is not considered complete until they receive CASPER scores." so i take that to mean that you cant get an II without sending casper scores first

when i called them, they said "application is not considered complete until they receive CASPER scores." so i take that to mean that you cant get an II without sending casper scores first
Well there you have it. Theres your answer, good luck

Members don't see this ad :)

Gotcha, thanks for that. At this rate if I don't get a secondary soon then they'll probably get my CASPer not much later than my secondary submission anyways lol. Taking CASPer on July 30th and hoping it's putting me at a disadvantage.

i applied previously and was waitlisted so might be why I received a secondary earlier....just a thought
I applied previously and was waitlisted. I was thinking that's why I still haven't received this secondary, guess not

Getting antsy, any idea when an EDP applicant could expect to hear back/ get some kind of communication from MCG
I heard the EDP interviews are going to be August 27 and 29

Are there usually only two interview dates for edp?
Also, any idea when interview invitations would go out?
I don’t know if these are the only two, I just know those are the first two. I’m assuming invites will go out 2-4 weeks before the first date, but again, I don’t know for sure.

How many words are you all writing for number 5? I'm finding it difficult to fill up to 400 words.
I wrote 100 words about the general region I could see myself practicing in. I can't imagine many people would know the exact county and town that they want to practice in years down the road...

Secondary received today (7/23). It's the first secondary I've seen with a 2 week deadline, not that 2 weeks isn't feasible.

1. Please explain your primary interest in applying to the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University.
2. Please describe your motivation for becoming a physician. What contributions do you feel that you could make to the medical profession in the future?
3. Please list any additional clinical experiences that are not included on your AMCAS application. Please include the physician’s name OR type of experience (i.e., Nursing, PA, EMT, E.R. Scribe, etc.) in the description column below along with the location, dates and total number of hours. If no additional experiences have occurred, please select "N/A."
4. The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of our school. The Admissions Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
5. Please describe the geographical area in which you would most likely practice medicine. Please include the country, region, state, city and/or town in your response.
6. Please explain any inconsistencies in your academic record. This may include below average course performance, grade trends, MCAT scores, etc.
7. If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed in your application.

All 400 words minus question 3 which just lets you add a name/description of the experience
there's no "NA" checkbox for question 7, but I'm assuming if we don't have anything to put for it, we can just put NA right? or should we definitely have something to put here?

Received supplemental yesterday. But I also think that was affected by still being on the waitlist until July 18th

Is it a bad sign that I didn't receive a secondary until yesterday if I I was verified 6/14? My MCAT score didn't come in until 7/2 so maybe that affected it?

Is it a bad sign that I didn't receive a secondary until yesterday if I I was verified 6/14? My MCAT score didn't come in until 7/2 so maybe that affected it?
no not at all. MCG was definitely a little more late on sending out secondaries this year

At least you got secondaries, I am still probably the only one that’s waiting on it.who knows maybe I got screened out! If that’s the case oh well, maybe next year cycle

At least you got secondaries, I am still probably the only one that’s waiting on it.who knows maybe I got screened out! If that’s the case oh well, maybe next year cycle

Haha don't stress man, it's still early. If you have stats within the 10th percentile then I highly doubt you'd get screened out. Are you a GA resident?

MCG doesn't do any screens. You will get it!

dude last year, I got my secondary for this school in august and still got an interview. and I had friends that filled out the secondary in october and still got interviews

Anyone in-state got a complete notification for RD secondary after submitting everything? (lawful presence, federal tax form, state tax form, parent drivers license, applicant license)

Anyone in-state got a complete notification for RD secondary after submitting everything? (lawful presence, federal tax form, state tax form, parent drivers license, applicant license)

Jeez I haven't started doing the secondary app yet but we have to send all of that stuff?

is anyone getting a "500" error when they try to save the tuition classification page?

Secondary submitted, only took 3 days, a trip to the Georgia DMV, and annoying the parents to make sure I'm listed as a dependent on tax forms :soexcited:

Did anyone else have this weird thing happen to them when submitting the secondary application? I wrote down my full legal name and clicked the check mark and submitted the application, but when it was reloading my name disappeared as if it looks like that I did not write my name attesting before submitting? Anyone else have this issue?

Did anyone else have this weird thing happen to them when submitting the secondary application? I wrote down my full legal name and clicked the check mark and submitted the application, but when it was reloading my name disappeared as if it looks like that I did not write my name attesting before submitting? Anyone else have this issue?
Seems like there are a few people having technical issues with the secondary. I had a problem with mine where one of the questions I answered wouldn’t save so I couldn’t submit the application. I just called the admission people and they asked for some screenshots and it got fixed later that day. If you’re still having problems just give them a call.

Are y'all pretty much just copying and pasting your diversity essay for the "Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine." prompt? Do you think it's far off from a "how would you bring diversity to the class" prompt?

Are y'all pretty much just copying and pasting your diversity essay for the "Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine." prompt? Do you think it's far off from a "how would you bring diversity to the class" prompt?

That's what I did, but it's more than just your personal attributes that bring diversity; be sure to relate them to medicine.

I pretty much copy and pasted my diversity essay. However, I modified parts of it and included some stuff to answer the part about how it influenced goals and preparation. I didn't change my essay too much, but I made sure that I clearly answered it since they explicitly asked for it

Anyone else still waiting on the freakin' secondary? I'm getting a little concerned. Was verified by first week of June. OOS with strong ties.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else still waiting on the freakin' secondary? I'm getting a little concerned. Was verified by first week of June. OOS with strong ties.

If you were in state I'd say definitely don't worry but since I know MCG is very in-state favoring idk if that could be a potential reason. I was verified on June 14th and didn't get mine until last week though, so it might just be that they take a while.

Out of curiosity, what's your "strong tie" to GA (if you don't mind telling me)?

Grew up in Atlanta, went to college there. Same for my husband. All of our immediate and extended family in the state.

I’ll reach out tomorrow to see what’s up.

Grew up in Atlanta, went to college there. Same for my husband. All of our immediate and extended family in the state.

I’ll reach out tomorrow to see what’s up.

Gotcha. Yeah I doubt they’d screen you out then. Plus I don’t think they really look at much before offering secondaries anyways. You might not get a willing response with regard to your status if you call cause I know a lot of schools explicitly say they won’t accepts calls of this nature, but not sure what MCG’s response is

Has anyone received confirmation that their application is complete?
I got an email that they received my secondary, but nothing about it being 'complete'

Do y'all think I'm selling myself short if I type only ~300-350 words for any of the secondary essays (other than the geographical one which obviously doesn't need that much elaboration)? I'm working on my "anything else?" essay and feeling like I'm trying to force making it reach 400 words.

Do y'all think I'm selling myself short if I type only ~300-350 words for any of the secondary essays (other than the geographical one which obviously doesn't need that much elaboration)? I'm working on my "anything else?" essay and feeling like I'm trying to force making it reach 400 words.
No as long as you’re explaining everything you need to, I doubt it’ll matter

Does anyone else's transcripts say "missing" on the secondary app?
I asked about that when I called them. That’s for if you get accepted and they want your final transcripts then you’ll have to submit them directly to mcg. You’re good for now

If they're the 25th percentile it's definitely not out of question, I'm assuming you'll just need to have something that the people with 512+ don't to be competitive. Do you have a head turning EC or two? And is your GPA high?

From what I've been told by advisors, my ECs are pretty good and unique. Nearly all of my research, volunteering, extracurriculars revolve around working with disadvantaged/medically underserved communities, which I made the focal narrative of my primary and secondary. My gpa is also pretty high (>3.85). My school's pre-med advisor told me that my gpa, ECs, and essays make up for my average mcat so I'm hoping MCG sees it that way too.

From what I've been told by advisors, my ECs are pretty good and unique. Nearly all of my research, volunteering, extracurriculars revolve around working with disadvantaged/medically underserved communities, which I made the focal narrative of my primary and secondary. My gpa is also pretty high (>3.85). My school's pre-med advisor told me that my gpa, ECs, and essays make up for my average mcat so I'm hoping MCG sees it that way too.

The service to underprivileged populations is great for any medical school but to my knowledge isn't like a key component of MCG's mission. Again, it'll look great but you should also apply to all of the schools where this is a central part of their mission like Rush if that's part of your big draw as an applicant. Also, I'm assuming you applied to Mercer?