2019-2020 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you get that? I feel like I haven’t heard anything from the office since being accepted except for their second look invite

I think they are making their way through accepted students. Because I just got that last week and I’ve been accepted since Nov

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a student ID and password etc but no pre matriculation form ... ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only certain students are invited to participate in the pre-matriculation program over the summer-

"Pre-matriculation is by invitation only and intended for students meeting one or more of the following criteria:
  • Identify as an Under-represented Minority in Medicine (URMM)
  • Non-science major/background
  • Identified as at-risk based on academic history"

Have any accepted students hear back about merit scholarships yet?
Are there any other forms we have to fill out other than FAFSA?
I'm wondering about the financial aid timeline as well. Other schools seem to have financial aid deadlines mid-February or March 1st, but I haven't received any financial aid guidance from MCG yet either. Does anyone have any insight into how things went during previous cycles or when can expect to get further financial aid info?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only certain students are invited to participate in the pre-matriculation program over the summer-

"Pre-matriculation is by invitation only and intended for students meeting one or more of the following criteria:
  • Identify as an Under-represented Minority in Medicine (URMM)
  • Non-science major/background
  • Identified as at-risk based on academic history"

Am I the only one who thinks it’d weird that they accept anyone who they think needs some kind of summer “Pre-matriculation program” to be successful...?

Am I the only one who thinks it’d weird that they accept anyone who they think needs some kind of summer “Pre-matriculation program” to be successful...?

I kind of take offense to that. They invited me to the pre-matriculation program. And I know that I will be successful in medical school. I graduated magna cum laude from an ivy league school (so yeah I don't think medical school will be that hard compared to my school). Schools literally do these programs because they want URMs to be successful and have an established support group when they enter medical school since we are underrepresented in medicine and don't want us to drop out

In conclusion, think before you type. URMs accepted to medical school are definitely smart enough to be there

Reactions: 5 users

Please elaborate Mr. 28 applications

I kind of take offense to that. They invited me to the pre-matriculation program. And I know that I will be successful in medical school. I graduated magna cum laude from an ivy league school (so yeah I don't think medical school will be that hard compared to my school). Schools literally do these programs because they want URMs to be successful and have an established support group when they enter medical school since we are underrepresented in medicine and don't want us to drop out

In conclusion, think before you type. URMs accepted to medical school are definitely smart enough to be there

Woaaaaah. Let’s take a step back before you get so upset. No where in my comment did I take aim at URMs in any way and that seems to be all you got from it somehow.

My comment was moreso, in theory aren’t they taking all of the applicants that they think will be the best doctors and thus are most prepared for medical school? And if so, why is it necessary to have some supplemental program? Essentially my question is why is his program necessary and you seemed to take it as “why are they accepting URMs?” Which is by no means what I said or meant.

Admittedly I don’t really know what this program entails, this is the first I’ve heard of it. Either way, I never said that I don’t think URMs that they accept aren’t smart enough to be in medical school, rather I think that if their smart enough to be in medical school, why is this program a thing? Also, URMs are one of three bulleted groups listed there so I’m again troubled that you’re instantly trying to label me as anti-URM.

“In conclusion, think before you type.”

Please elaborate Mr. 28 applications

I guess see my comment above as elaboration. Obviously I was unclear wth my intentions initially if it triggered you enough to make an account just to add this comment ;)

Woaaaaah. Let’s take a step back before you get so upset. No where in my comment did I take aim at URMs in any way and that seems to be all you got from it somehow.

My comment was moreso, in theory aren’t they taking all of the applicants that they think will be the best doctors and thus are most prepared for medical school? And if so, why is it necessary to have some supplemental program? Essentially my question is why is his program necessary and you seemed to take it as “why are they accepting URMs?” Which is by no means what I said or meant.

Admittedly I don’t really know what this program entails, this is the first I’ve heard of it. Either way, I never said that I don’t think URMs that they accept aren’t smart enough to be in medical school, rather I think that if their smart enough to be in medical school, why is this program a thing? Also, URMs are one of three bulleted groups listed there so I’m again troubled that you’re instantly trying to label me as anti-URM.

“In conclusion, think before you type.”

I still stand by what I said. And I explained why the program exists. Even though URM is only 1 of the 3 criteria, it’s really just about URMs and them being participants in the program.

Personally, I don’t care about the program nor want to go, but this type of program is mainstream at most medical schools and most top undergrad schools

Reactions: 1 users
I still stand by what I said. And I explained why the program exists. Even though URM is only 1 of the 3 criteria, it’s really just about URMs and them being participants in the program.

Personally, I don’t care about the program nor want to go, but this type of program is mainstream at most medical schools and most top undergrad schools

Fair enough. I stand by my confusion as to why certain matriculants would ultimately need more help than others. I feel like I would be kind of insulted by the invite if I fell under that category (which I think I might, since I wasn’t a traditional science major).

Nonetheless, I’m sorry if my question came off judgemental/dismissive, and for my ignorance regarding these types of programs.

Nothing yet for me, what time do they traditionally send emails out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing yet for me, what time do they traditionally send emails out?
Usually between 8:30 and 9:00 AM. It's also usually on the 3rd Friday of the month which was when they sent them last year in February too.

I thought they sent some decisions like this time last year though.

last year they sent out a big wave on 2/8 then waitlists on 2/15, maybe they're behind this year?

Maybe it's because this is the first Friday of the month and last year the February 1st was the first Friday so and sent them on the second Friday?

@RIPMamba when you posted that the next wave was today were you just guessing or did someone actually tell you that?

Waitlists went out the 15th last year which was the third Friday of the month. Im just thinking they're doing second and third fridays like they release decisions on the third friday of the month before January

Lol ugh I guess I’m gonna deal with this higher heart rate for at least 7 more days.

People who were accepted (Congrats BTW!) could you give stats/interview date? Thank you!!!

I had a 509 MCAT, 3.81 GPA, and interviewed December 17th. This was my third application round after being waitlisted twice. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
anyone know if acceptances are sent out in waves? if not guess I’ll be waiting for that WL email next week

Reactions: 3 users
anyone know if acceptances are sent out in waves? if not guess I’ll be waiting for that WL email next week
emoji28.png

Looks like we should expect rejections early next week and a mass waitlist wave on Friday, as all has been fairly similar to last year.

I was waitlisted last year till the very end!- They periodically rejected (and accepted) people off of the waitlist from what I remember. Ended up receiving my secondary application for this cycle on the same day as my rejection email.

For those who have not received any acceptances, time to readjust our focus on bolstering our applications while still hoping for the best. Good luck!

Looks like we should expect rejections early next week and a mass waitlist wave on Friday, as all has been fairly similar to last year.

I was waitlisted last year till the very end!- They periodically rejected (and accepted) people off of the waitlist from what I remember. Ended up receiving my secondary application for this cycle on the same day as my rejection email.

For those who have not received any acceptances, time to readjust our focus on bolstering our applications while still hoping for the best. Good luck!
I was also waitlisted last year until the very end! Got my secondary a few weeks after my rejection in July 2019 lol.

Hopefully everyone received good news soon, but if not, unfortunately we'll have to work on improving our apps.

Do you think any acceptances will be released next week as well or just WL & R?

I am so sad lol.. if we are following last year’s trend today was last day of acceptances and monday will be rejections and next Friday is waitlist. So frustrating because this was the one interview I actually felt good afterwards about

I am so sad lol.. if we are following last year’s trend today was last day of acceptances and monday will be rejections and next Friday is waitlist. So frustrating because this was the one interview I actually felt good afterwards about
I just called actually and said they believe they will be sending out more! So really hoping this is the case

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
Accepted on Friday morning by email! Still in shock as my family is in Atlanta and I badly wanted to attend MCG but already made my peace as a OOS applicant.

Does anyone know how much interest the Athens campus receives? I chose Athens and am really hoping to make that my home for the next four years.

NY applicant but grew up in Atlanta area, non traditional student, 512 mcat and 3.67 gpa (4.0 post-bacc sgpa)

Accepted on Friday morning by email! Still in shock as my family is in Atlanta and I badly wanted to attend MCG but already made my peace as a OOS applicant.

Does anyone know how much interest the Athens campus receives? I chose Athens and am really hoping to make that my home for the next four years.

NY applicant but grew up in Atlanta area, non traditional student, 512 mcat and 3.67 gpa (4.0 post-bacc sgpa)
I went to the MCG-Athens open house a while back and they said that everyone that wanted to go to the Athens campus got to go. So, if you want Athens, I'm guessing the chances are pretty high that you will get it!

I went to the MCG-Athens open house a while back and they said that everyone that wanted to go to the Athens campus got to go. So, if you want Athens, I'm guessing the chances are pretty high that you will get it!

Thank you for making my day!

Hey all accepted applicants! I was just accepted last Friday and mailed in the acceptance letter and deposit, as well as finished FAFSA this morning. Just wanted to touch base with y'all and make sure that's all we've been asked to do thus far. I don't have a Pounce ID yet but based on what I've seen in the previous posts those take a while. I apologize if I'm asking a redundant question, but I just wanna make sure I'm up to date since I was accepted later in the game. Thanks!

Hey all accepted applicants! I was just accepted last Friday and mailed in the acceptance letter and deposit, as well as finished FAFSA this morning. Just wanted to touch base with y'all and make sure that's all we've been asked to do thus far. I don't have a Pounce ID yet but based on what I've seen in the previous posts those take a while. I apologize if I'm asking a redundant question, but I just wanna make sure I'm up to date since I was accepted later in the game. Thanks!

That’s all for now unless you’re really antsy and want to get bloodwork done now! I was accepted mid-November and it took until last week to get my email and ID so don’t be concerned if it takes a while to hear back!

Congrats to all the acceptances!!

Question: if i interviewed back in October but still haven't heard anything back, should I assume my chances are pretty slim now?

Congrats to all the acceptances!!

Question: if i interviewed back in October but still haven't heard anything back, should I assume my chances are pretty slim now?
Yeah if I were you I would assume i was either waitlisted or rejected

Yeah if I were you I would assume i was either waitlisted or rejected

I spoke with admissions earlier this week. That stated they still have waves of acceptances that we’re gonna send out. They stated they’ve missed a few meeting due to weather and if you haven’t heard anything don’t assume it’s a waitlist.

Reactions: 5 users
I spoke with admissions earlier this week. That stated they still have waves of acceptances that we’re gonna send out. They stated they’ve missed a few meeting due to weather and if you haven’t heard anything don’t assume it’s a waitlist.
But this person interviewed back in October. I interviewed in mid-late October and heard back in November. They have definitely already reviewed this person’s application.

That’s all for now unless you’re really antsy and want to get bloodwork done now! I was accepted mid-November and it took until last week to get my email and ID so don’t be concerned if it takes a while to hear back!
Thanks so much, I also just did the background check that was emailed to me. I almost missed it because it didn't come from an MCG email address. I think we have to wait for blood work because I think the TB test has to be "no more than 90 days prior" to the first class.

Lol huh. I do not recall any inclement weather this year that was enough to cancel anything. Whatevs, I hope they had like 50 meetings they missed so we all get in.

Last edited: