2019-2020 LSU New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here are less sucky directions for interview day:
Park in the garage, go to its third floor where there is an entrance to the walk way. Walk down the walk way to where there is a fancy glass door entrance on the left. Go in it and then walk down the hallway that is on the left ‘til you get to some elevators. Go up the elevators to floor 3. Floor 3 of the garage is floor 2 of the buildings- Yes, I know it is dumb, deal with it. Exit the elevators and walk through the café with the tiger statue. Keep heading in that direction, and you will walk by a big glass room (The fishbowl). If you walked down the hallway without the cafeteria on the side, you will see the office of admissions at the end of the hall. If you walked down the cafeteria side, take a right at the cut through between the elevators and the fishbowl. You will see office sign in front of you and its door is to the left. If you still get lost or confused at any point just ask someone around you for where the office is.

Post-II communications are via snail-mail. The committee meets every couple of weeks and then makes decisions.

Interviews; 3 Interviewers, open file. Usually pretty chill and straight-forward. Know your app and be an engaging person.

Tour Advice: Ladies, wear shoes you can walk in, There is a lot of walking and you need to go across the street to the hospital and then walk around there. Some folks brought small flats they kept in their bag for the walking portion. Also, it rains in Louisiana, a lot. Bring an umbrella if it is threatening, there should be places to store it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
No Further Action aka Waitlisted :(, Interviewed 2 weeks ago

It's not necessarily a waitlist. You could be brought up again at the next meeting and accepted then! It's better than a rejection at least. Did it come via snail mail?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not necessarily a waitlist. You could be brought up again at the next meeting and accepted then! It's better than a rejection at least. Did it come via snail mail?

Yep. It was dated Monday 10/28 & arrived today. Thank you for the positivity, best wishes to you! Kinda sucks to play the waiting game again.

No Further Action aka Waitlisted :(, Interviewed 2 weeks ago
I heard they give out a ton of those, especially since we're still early-ish in the cycle! Don't lose hope! Do you mind saying what day exactly you interviewed (you can PM me if you want)? I interviewed a little less than two weeks ago and I'm not sure when I should be expecting anything!

Just checked the mailbox today and I was accepted!!! I'm so freaking excited, LSU is one of my top choices!!

Interviewed on 10/23, OOS, LM < 65

Reactions: 6 users
Do you guys think this school is very strict about keeping graduates in LA practicing primary care? Right now I am more into surgery, even though things could change. I know general surgery is listed among the primary care specialties but what if I am interested in neurosurgery? Do you think the chances of practicing other specialties besides primary are lower? 54% of graduates matched in primary care residencies, either they were all interested in it, or they were kinda forced to chose it for some reason and that's what worries me :/

Do you guys think this school is very strict about keeping graduates in LA practicing primary care? Right now I am more into surgery, even though things could change. I know general surgery is listed among the primary care specialties but what if I am interested in neurosurgery? Do you think the chances of practicing other specialties besides primary are lower? 54% of graduates matched in primary care residencies, either they were all interested in it, or they were kinda forced to chose it for some reason and that's what worries me :/

No one is holding a gun to your head to choose primary care and stay in the state. Yes, the state has a vested interest in you staying and has programs such as the rural scholars track as a result, but you aren't forced to sign a contract saying you will practice in the state like some schools (cough, Ohio, cough). Also, internal medicine has a plethora of subspecialties such as cards, GI, nephrology, etc. which aren't primary care, but you gotta go through a primary care residency to get there and that can skew the numbers. Just some food for thought.

I and many of my classmates were upfront in our interests in non-primary care fields and why we were thinking of pursuing them. It was no hindrance as far as I know. Pursue what interests you and have an open mind, it will take you far in med school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one is holding a gun to your head to choose primary care and stay in the state. Yes, the state has a vested interest in you staying and has programs such as the rural scholars track as a result, but you aren't forced to sign a contract saying you will practice in the state like some schools (cough, Ohio, cough). Also, internal medicine has a plethora of subspecialties such as cards, GI, nephrology, etc. which aren't primary care, but you gotta go through a primary care residency to get there and that can skew the numbers. Just some food for thought.

I and many of my classmates were upfront in our interests in non-primary care fields and why we were thinking of pursuing them. It was no hindrance as far as I know. Pursue what interests you and have an open mind, it will take you far in med school.

Yeah this was spot on, esp. about I.M. Skewing numbers. Of the 54% primary care, 31 students (the biggest amount in one category for LSU NO) were IM. A lot of these guys may want to specialize too, or at least have the opportunity to. As far as staying in LA, if you look at the matches you can see that there was a good portion of students who opted to go out of state. I think at state schools a lot of people may want to stay in the stars because of family (esp. in the South), so you have to remember the personal reasons for those statistics, too!

Also, any advice on where to live from some current students?
Mid-city, uptown, and lakeview are all popular. Find some roommates to keep things cheap. Don't live somewhere the streets always freakin' flood.

Anyone know when it's late to receive a II? I haven't heard anything yet and I'm getting a little worried/: I'm an instate re-applicant and don't want to overthink, but I also want to be prepared if I have to reapply.

Anyone know when it's late to receive a II? I haven't heard anything yet and I'm getting a little worried/: I'm an instate re-applicant and don't want to overthink, but I also want to be prepared if I have to reapply.

I think you still have a good chance to receive a II. LSU nola still has a ton of students that they haven't interviewed yet. Did you interview last year?

I got No Further Action... Interviewed 3 weeks ago

I've heard of so many people getting NFA'd then getting in. Might just be a long wait till you hear any movement. Keep your head up!

The school doesn’t really push you towards primary care (unless you’re in rural scholars) with the exception of your family medicine clerkship third year, where you have time dedicated to hearing about how awesome and important primary care is (which, to be fair, it is, even if you don’t want to do primary care). Other than that, I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a push towards primary care.

Don't live somewhere the streets always freakin' flood.

This is the best advice for living in New Orleans that you will get.

I didn’t receive an II until the end of December when I applied, and I know some people who got them as late as March who were accepted.

To my knowledge, most people get NFA’d first.

Can they talk about NFA people at any meeting or do they only discuss NFA applicants at the 2 advocacy meetings? If so, how common is it to get a yes or no before the Feb advocacy meeting after being initially issued an NFA? Thanks in advance!!

Can they talk about NFA people at any meeting or do they only discuss NFA applicants at the 2 advocacy meetings? If so, how common is it to get a yes or no before the Feb advocacy meeting after being initially issued an NFA? Thanks in advance!!
I'm pretty sure you can get brought up at any meeting!

yup. Are they late in the cycle or still have a decent amount of interview invitations left? Some schools seem to be earlier than others.
Based on the last few years threads, seems like they don't give out IIs way in advance and they interview far into the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Is sending thank you emails to your three interviewers after you interview a customary thing at this school?

Interview next week, just have a quick question regarding curriculum. Can anyone confirm that LSUHSC does indeed integrate students into rotations within the first 2 years rather than classroom for 2 years and rotations/blocks after?

Interview next week, just have a quick question regarding curriculum. Can anyone confirm that LSUHSC does indeed integrate students into rotations within the first 2 years rather than classroom for 2 years and rotations/blocks after?

2 years of pre clinical then 2 years of rotations. Unless they changed something all of a sudden, but I doubt that.

2 years of pre clinical then 2 years of rotations. Unless they changed something all of a sudden, but I doubt that.

Unless you want to count the 3 days of rounds and the longitudinal selective in 2nd year, but saying that it’s integrative is stretching it a lot.

For anyone wondering, in your second year, you have a longitudinal selective, which will put you in a clinical setting for 5 or so total days through a semester (depending on what LS you pick). You still get only a negligible amount of clinical experience prior to third year.

Hey all! Just popping in here to say congrats on your recent acceptance(s) and IIs - I'm excited to hear where everyone ends up!
If you want or are willing to add to the tracker to help those in future years many would be grateful :) You've worked hard and it's paying off.

MD IIs:
Add your interview data here.
Check your school's data here.
Add your outcomes
HERE

• Love
Unless you want to count the 3 days of rounds and the longitudinal selective in 2nd year, but saying that it’s integrative is stretching it a lot.

For anyone wondering, in your second year, you have a longitudinal selective, which will put you in a clinical setting for 5 or so total days through a semester (depending on what LS you pick). You still get only a negligible amount of clinical experience prior to third year.
All those counted as was an interruption in my studying for step. The non-clinical selectives were good though.

Anyone know where they are with interviews? Been under active consideration since 7/22 and haven't heard back since

Anyone know where they are with interviews? Been under active consideration since 7/22 and haven't heard back since
Same! But it looks like they send interviews really late in the cycle, someone mentioned that people who interviewed last march were even accepted.

Any more IIs recently? I got one from Tulane and Shreveport but all silent from LSU-NOLA.
Can I ask what your stats are? I applied to all 3 of these schools as well. I'm waitlisted at Tulane and haven't heard from LSU-S or Nola yet, besides that my application is complete.

I’m OOS With close ties but applied to all three. Silence from LSU but accepted at Tulane. I guess to be expected since I lack residency

Can anyone confirm that the next meeting to discuss acceptances is Dec 13th?

Can I ask what your stats are? I applied to all 3 of these schools as well. I'm waitlisted at Tulane and haven't heard from LSU-S or Nola yet, besides that my application is complete.
MCAT 50X, with the 32 hr rule for Nola: >3.9, otherwise AMCAS <3.0 but I'm pretty non-traditional.

Where did you hear this?
During the interview orientation Dr. Eubanks said the next meeting to discuss applicants would be Friday December 13. Those of us who recently interviewed should get notification of rejection, acceptance, or NFA in the mail by Christmas.

Accepted!

Interviewed 11/12. Letter postmarked 11/18.

Stats: IS, 3.98, 511

I’m from south Louisiana and this has been my dream school for awhile now :) Hoping everyone else gets some good news soon!

Reactions: 7 users