2019-2020 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And I think you're crazy for that.

Its nothing against ARCOM or any DO school, but just for the sake of not taking two sets of board exams would be enough for me to have to taken the MD accept.

There are people who take DO over MD. If OMM is your goal or if you feel like the school is what you absolutely want, two rounds of exams is worth it for some people. You don’t have to take USMLE either if you don’t want to and just get away with COMLEX... though there are fewer residency options if you do that.

ARCOM has dirt cheap tuition too. Approaching LECOM territory.

My advice: go on the interviews and decide from there. Lots of people were talking about their top picks without even going to the schools and seeing them. Make up your mind after setting foot on campus. Good luck y’all!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
There are people who take DO over MD. If OMM is your goal or if you feel like the school is what you absolutely want, two rounds of exams is worth it for some people. You don’t have to take USMLE either if you don’t want to and just get away with COMLEX... though there are fewer residency options if you do that.

My advice: go on the interviews and decide from there. Lots of people were talking about their top picks without even going to the schools and seeing them. Make up your mind after setting foot on campus. Good luck y’all!!
Not that I would have done it myself, but I know several people in my class that have chosen ARCOM over a MD school. One of them is a good friend who plans to practice for the Army, so he's pretty much guaranteed a residency spot anyway whether he takes the USMLE or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I think the max in state tuition in any Texas school is 20k. I dont think any school comes close to that unless it’s like NYU and free tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the max in state tuition in any Texas school is 20k. I dont think any school comes close to that unless it’s like NYU and free tuition.

Try being from anywhere but Texas. Cheapest in state tuition for me is $250k.

43k is cheap? Kay. I own a house in central Arkansas. I would have leapt at the chance to go to UAMS. Instead I'm 4 hours from my family and paying 16k more a year in tuition alone.

Not that I would have done it myself, but I know several people in my class that have chosen ARCOM over a MD school. One of them is a good friend who plans to practice for the Army, so he's pretty much guaranteed a residency spot anyway whether he takes the USMLE or not.
That's different. HPSP you can get away with just COMLEX even for competitive stuff. After having an OS CPA in the middle of Neuro, which was already rough...

43k is cheap? Kay. I own a house in central Arkansas. I would have leapt at the chance to go to UAMS. Instead I'm 4 hours from my family and paying 16k more a year in tuition alone.
43K is not cheap, but cheaper than most other DO schools or private medical schools I'd say.

Just added to my list! Looking forward to correspondence

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive secondaries yet? I've heard nothing since my confirmation email on 7/15.

What was the COMLEX 1 pass rate and average score for the first class?

Scores are still coming in for the class. Faculty is reporting higher than national average pass rates for the first class. However, people who usually take the exam late do worse. All of those results haven’t been compiled from what I understand. I’ve heard from a few third years who have scored over 700 on COMLEX and over 240 on step.

Last edited by a moderator:
questions:
Please describe a difficult time in your life and how you overcame it. Limit your response to 2-3 paragraphs. *

Please tell us about a time you felt proud. Limit your response to 2-3 paragraphs. *

ARCOM students can choose residencies in a wide range of specialties. If you had to pick today, what top 2 specialties would you be interested in learning more about? A narrative is not required, please simply list specialties of interest. *

Briefly explain how you are a good fit to the ARCOM mission. *

@PapaGuava

Last edited:
Does ARCOM screen for secondaries?

Any idea if its based on a minimum GPA or MCAT or do they do a holistic screen of the entire application?
I believe both. I know someone that applied last year and got a silent screen. They emailed them and asked about their app and they responded that they recommended an MCAT retake and/or increase of sGPA. I think they are holistic but I also definitely believe they have cutoffs.

I believe both. I know someone that applied last year and got a silent screen. They emailed them and asked about their app and they responded that they recommended an MCAT retake and/or increase of sGPA. I think they are holistic but I also definitely believe they have cutoffs.
Awesome, thank you for all the information!!

Any idea if its based on a minimum GPA or MCAT or do they do a holistic screen of the entire application?
They screen GPA and MCAT, then location. 1st priority is given to people in and around Arkansas like MO, OK, TX, TN, and people from small underserved areas. That's what I heard from one of the ADCOMs.

Reactions: 4 users
They screen GPA and MCAT, then location. 1st priority is given to people in and around Arkansas like MO, OK, TX, TN, and people from small underserved areas. That's what I heard from one of the ADCOMs.
Any idea what the MCAT and GPA might be around?

I’m from Michigan and I got a secondary so ‍... i don’t know what they screen for
Are you from an underserved area though? Also, they do interview and accept people from other areas too, they just give more priority to people from certain areas. I was told this literally yesterday.

Are you from an underserved area though? Also, they do interview and accept people from other areas too, they just give more priority to people from certain areas. I was told this literally yesterday.

No I'm in an urban city, but maybe it's because of my EC's. I've got a lot of orgs in underserved areas. Also my stats are very normal 501 mcat 3.81 gpa. My aacomas app was complete on 06/03

Btw y'all should check your spam folder...found my secondary in there lol

Reactions: 4 users
Damn. That's a short time. I submitted on 5/23 and haven't received a secondary yet.
What was the email you all received the secondary from? "[email protected]"?
I was submitted around the same time too and haven’t received it. I’m sure it will be coming our way though. Seems like they barely started late yesterday afternoon. I am assuming they have so many applications stacked up at this point from them taking this long to send them out that it will take awhile to get it to everybody.

Btw y'all should check your spam folder...found my secondary in there lol

+1 to the junkondary. Also, the email that notified me of submission of the secondary went to junk mail

Reactions: 1 users
Damn. That's a short time. I submitted on 5/23 and haven't received a secondary yet.
What was the email you all received the secondary from? "[email protected]"?
I was submitted around the same time too and haven’t received it. I’m sure it will be coming our way though. Seems like they barely started late yesterday afternoon. I am assuming they have so many applications stacked up at this point from them taking this long to send them out that it will take awhile to get it to everybody.
From the previous class threads, if you get a secondary, it was highly likely you would also get an interview invite. It seemed like they only sent secondaries to people they are really interested in. Also, it's not that hard to go over a lot of applications. Everything is computerized, they can sort applications using different parameters, screen applications using GPA and MCAT, ect...

Is there anybody that applied here that is expecting a secondary that still hasn’t received it?

From the previous class threads, if you get a secondary, it was highly likely you would also get an interview invite. It seemed like they only sent secondaries to people they are really interested in. Also, it's not that hard to go over a lot of applications. Everything is computerized, they can sort applications using different parameters, screen applications using GPA and MCAT, ect...

Idk if that’s true... They sent secondaries to about half of the people who applied. They went over the numbers in orientation. Did you hear about this?

Idk if that’s true... They sent secondaries to about half of the people who applied. They went over the numbers in orientation. Did you hear about this?
Well, at least for my class they did then. That was a real trend. And no, I didn't hear about that.

Is there anybody that applied here that is expecting a secondary that still hasn’t received it?
I received secondaries to nearly all the other DO schools I applied to. Nothing from Arkansas yet.

I received secondaries to nearly all the other DO schools I applied to. Nothing from Arkansas yet.
Same. This is literally the only DO school that I haven't received a secondary from. Womp womp. :/

Found secondary in the spam folder on Friday