2020-2021 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to all of the applicants for 2020-2021. Making the decision to join a calss of mecial studnet and chooing the right medical school is in fact has a deep impact in your future professional life.
I am a first year medical student at Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM), ready to answer your questions about ARCOM and helping you to asses if ARCOM is a right choice for you.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm another first year here as well. I can also help field some questions. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where do a majority of students reside? If off campus how far is daily commute?

Biggest pro/con of this school?!

Where do a majority of students reside? If off campus how far is daily commute?

Biggest pro/con of this school?!

It seems a good portion of student live in the student resident. However, It does not mean that it is also a good choice for you as well. In general, If you are a type of student that only need to come to school in morning ,stay there , eat lunch and then go back home late afternoon off , then off campus might be a good choice, since Off campus is also often cheaper with the same utilities, if not more.

Talking about applying to ARCOM, maybe the more important factor to investigate is whether coming to ARCOM fits you.

Reactions: 1 users
It seems a good portion of student live in the student resident. However, It does not mean that it is also a good choice for you as well. In general, If you are a type of student that only need to come to school in morning ,stay there , eat lunch and then go back home late afternoon off , then off campus might be a good choice, since Off campus is also often cheaper with the same utilities, if not more.

Talking about applying to ARCOM, maybe the more important factor to investigate is whether coming to ARCOM fits you.

Thank you for the reply!

I'm another first year here as well. I can also help field some questions. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.

Hello :) I'm currently trying to finalize my list and was wondering if ARCOM is near a teaching hospital?

Hello :) I'm currently trying to finalize my list and was wondering if ARCOM is near a teaching hospital?
Hello, ARCOM is close by to the two hospitals in the fort smith city that have limited capacity and can not contain all of the ARCOM students for third year. But, please keep in mind that "No hospital is affiliated with ARCOM".
Medical schools that have affiliated hospital can easily fit their students after third year in their own hospital (for example in the Corono virus crisis they can easily mange their student concerns through the school). In ARCOM, after second year, students are mostly distributed around Arkansas and some of the neighbor states and they have to rotate after couple of months.
It is some thing that an applicant should carefully assess before applying for schools like ARCOM. For example, It means that the senior students have to find new accommodations or arrangements each time they rotate to different hospital and that is beside the concern that how well these hospitals actullay treat and attempt to train the rotating students.

ARCOM is close to 2 Hospitals (Mercy and Baptist Health). Mercy is about to become a teaching Hospital with ARCOM sponsoring 2 residency programs there in Family Medicine and Internal Medicine soon. And Baptist Health in Fort Smith has a Family Medicine program associated with UAMS, the state only MD school located in Little Rock. We also have an affiliation with another teaching Hospital in the state, Unity Health in Searcy, which has residency programs in Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Psychiatry. Additionally, ARCOM also plans to open other residency programs with other Hospitals too such as CHI St Vincent in Hot Springs and Baptist Health system. At the end of 2nd year, if you choose Little Rock as rotation site, you will rotate (3rd year) at the metro Baptist Health system (3 Hospitals Little Rock, North Little Rock and Conway) which has residencies (IM and FM) associated with UAMS (2 hours from Fort Smith). UAMS also has its own main teaching Hospital (with residency programs pretty much in all specialties) that you could potentially use to do your elective (or audition) rotations in your 4th year. Good luck! (See links for more info)

Sent from my SM-G981U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
also wondering - app was sent out last week and waiting for secondary

@zackdbrown @jassssymine be patient young Padawans. As early as July, as late as January-March. If the pattern persists, a secondary means a near definite interview invite. Best of luck this cycle!

Does ARCOM send out secondaries and/or interview invitations without LORs? I’m having the hardest time getting in touch with two of my professors since classes moved online in March. I’m worried that I’m not going to be able to get their letters until I’m back on campus (hopefully) in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does ARCOM send out secondaries and/or interview invitations without LORs? I’m having the hardest time getting in touch with two of my professors since classes moved online in March. I’m worried that I’m not going to be able to get their letters until I’m back on campus (hopefully) in August.
This may be a better question for admissions considering the non-canonical nature of this application cycle. Wild guess (grain of salt kinda deal) is no since LoRs are a required and essential point of evaluation for all applicants. Keep in mind submitting the application even into October is not considered late for DO.

I only had 2 LOR for my application sent in and I received a secondary/interview invite. My last LOR was sent in after my interview.

Let me know if anyone gets a secondary here, and can someone give me a good breakdown on this school vs NYIT-Arkansas? I hear this school connects better with the state, makes sense if true.

Let me know if anyone gets a secondary here, and can someone give me a good breakdown on this school vs NYIT-Arkansas? I hear this school connects better with the state, makes sense if true.
They are both relatively new programs but the consensus favors ARCOM due to the overall support from the state. Also, tuition tuition tuition (43k vs 60k). New York Institute of Technology in Jonesboro, AR? Always found that weird.

Interviewed and accepted at both. Incoming second year here.

NYIT is more established and has a good history. It’s on Arkansas State’s campus and is actually pretty nice. They have a whole building cut out for themselves. Jonesboro is suburban and isn’t too bad either. The price is significantly higher.

ARCOM is obviously newer but has much better access to hospitals and rotation sites. They’re the main and only branch of the medical school unlike NYIT. They’re also the state school. This means ARCOM doesn’t have to compete for resources like NYITCOM-AR might with their parent campus in New York. ARCOM is graduating it’s first class and faculty is very optimistic we will have next to a 100% match rate. This means we will very likely get full accreditation from COCA at that point. Really the only thing that concerns me is ironing out kinks in the curriculum, but that comes standard with new schools. ARCOM projectile vomits money at anything that may be a problem and corrects things very quickly. There’s been virtually no faculty turnover either, another good sign.

If you want a good comparison of ARCOM, look at ACOM or BCOM.

I picked ARCOM because I liked the price and the vibe better. Med school is med school. Go where you think you will have the best success. You can’t go wrong getting into a US med school. Overall I’m very happy with my decision.

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed and accepted at both. Incoming second year here.

NYIT is more established and has a good history. It’s on Arkansas State’s campus and is actually pretty nice. They have a whole building cut out for themselves. Jonesboro is suburban and isn’t too bad either. The price is significantly higher.

ARCOM is obviously newer but has much better access to hospitals and rotation sites. They’re the main and only branch of the medical school unlike NYIT. They’re also the state school. This means ARCOM doesn’t have to compete for resources like NYITCOM-AR might with their parent campus in New York. ARCOM is graduating it’s first class and faculty is very optimistic we will have next to a 100% match rate. This means we will very likely get full accreditation from COCA at that point. Really the only thing that concerns me is ironing out kinks in the curriculum, but that comes standard with new schools. ARCOM projectile vomits money at anything that may be a problem and corrects things very quickly. There’s been virtually no faculty turnover either, another good sign.

If you want a good comparison of ARCOM, look at ACOM or BCOM.

I picked ARCOM because I liked the price and the vibe better. Med school is med school. Go where you think you will have the best success. You can’t go wrong getting into a US med school. Overall I’m very happy with my decision.

"Projectile vomits money at anything that may be a problem"

This statement makes me like ArCOM even more.

Hey everyone! Good luck to all that are applying this cycle! I am an OMS 2 at ARCOM and I am an Ambassador for the school! Please feel free to ask any questions regarding applications, student lifestyle, and experiences, housing, or any details you might be wondering about the school. I hope to see you guys here at interviews or visiting as future student doctors!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Good luck to all that are applying this cycle! I am an OMS 2 at ARCOM and I am an Ambassador for the school! Please feel free to ask any questions regarding applications, student lifestyle, and experiences, housing, or any details you might be wondering about the school. I hope to see you guys here at interviews or visiting as future student doctors!
I've been to online fairs/forums and have been really impressed by ARCOM's program from an academic / clinical POV. What I'm curious about is: What's the surrounding area like? Housing costs? Things to do, esp. for families? Do you see yourself settling down here? Are the people progressive or more traditional? Have you made good connections? Thanks!

I've been to online fairs/forums and have been really impressed by ARCOM's program from an academic / clinical POV. What I'm curious about is: What's the surrounding area like? Housing costs? Things to do, esp. for families? Do you see yourself settling down here? Are the people progressive or more traditional? Have you made good connections? Thanks!

The surrounding area of ARCOM is more like rural area. You have acess to two Walmart and a Target shop for usual shoppings by driving about 5-15 minutes. The Housing costs is like rural area and you can find cheap rooms off campus. The main things you can do here is to use nature especially outside the city. I personally can not imagine myself settling down here. The people here and generally in Arkanas are definitly more traditional and it takes some time to made good connections.

ARCOM Corona Virus ALERT:

Today, it is announced that yesterday an ARCOM student test result came positive. The student is in an off-site learning environment and under treatment.

• Okay...

Today, it is announced that yesterday an ARCOM student test result came positive. The student is in an off-site learning environment and under treatment.
It's a student on rotations away from Fort Smith, and other schools have had cases too.

The surrounding area of ARCOM is more like rural area. You have acess to two Walmart and a Target shop for usual shoppings by driving about 5-15 minutes. The Housing costs is like rural area and you can find cheap rooms off campus. The main things you can do here is to use nature especially outside the city. I personally can not imagine myself settling down here. The people here and generally in Arkanas are definitly more traditional and it takes some time to made good connections.

Yeah, it looks rural compared to other decent sized cities, but you'll find everything you need here. Fort Smith population is over 90,000 people, so based on that alone it's not considered rural, and the metro area (meaning all the surroundings) counts over 280,000 people. In terms of what to do for fun, you could go hiking, bike riding, kayaking, fishing, walking at one of the public parks, play tennis, mini golfing, spend a day on the lake, visit the Fort Smith brewery and get some drinks, spend time at one of the local restaurants, ect... and if/when you get tired of Fort Smith (although schools probably won't give you time to get bored), North West Arkansas (the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers-Bentonville area) just an hour away is where all the fun is at. It's a college town with football and all, so there's a lot more to do there since that's where the money is at. You could also visit the Crystal Bridges, Clinton house and Walmart museums there, and lots of different artists go there to perform usually at the Walmart AMP. Additionally, Fort Smith is only 3 hrs away from OKC and Dallas if you enjoy the NBA then that's for you (also Memphis, 4 hours), 2 hours from Tulsa and Little Rock, 4 hours from Kansas City. About the question whether the people are progressive or traditional, I'd say the northwest region of Arkansas (including Fort Smith) and Little Rock (the capital) are usually more on the progressive side compared to the rest of Arkansas since they are college/university areas, so there's a lot more young people around, but don't be surprised if you meet more traditional people in Fort Smith compared to more progressive cities.

Last edited:

I really have no idea why this was relevant to the thread but okay.

Last edited:
I just got an email that says they received my application and will review it to determine if I get a secondary, did anyone else get this?

I just got an email that says they received my application and will review it to determine if I get a secondary, did anyone else get this?

Same here. It said secondaries should start going out at the end of July.

Is ARCOM heavily biased towards instate, or states close to AR? I'm from PA and idk if that would hurt my chances

Is ARCOM heavily biased towards instate, or states close to AR? I'm from PA and idk if that would hurt my chances
They are biased towards people from neighboring states as they do make majority of the class, but not heavily biased because I also know many people from other states and from the North-East in my class.

I think the majority of the class being from neighboring states may be more due to selection bias by the applicants and where they choose to attend school. Im from FL for example and was accepted early in the cycle. A good portion of the 2024 class is from coastal states as well.

They are biased towards people from neighboring states as they do make majority of the class, but not heavily biased because I also know many people from other states and from the North-East in my class.
Sorry, I should have said the biggest portion of the class is from in-state and neighboring states, like TX, MO, KS, OK. I'm not totally sure if they still make the majority of the class (meaning more than 50% of the class). In fact, like mentioned above the majority of any particular class is from out-of-state and that includes those neighboring states. It says on their ChooseDO page that for the 2019-2020 enrollment there were 23 in-state and 135 out-of-state. Also, I wanna point out that the school does say on their website that they give preference to people from the school service area. With that said, I'd say apply, you still have a fair chance of getting accepted here (Edit: if you have the stats and ECs necessary).

Last edited:
Has anyone received a secondary yet? If so did the prompts change from last year?

I am a reviewer of osteopathic medical schools, the direction ARCOM is moving is concerning especially since this school has yet to secure its accreditation. First, there seems to be a high faculty turnover, second there are complaints about lack of diversity and intolerance towards other races by both faculty and students.
Do you have any info that you can post to support this?

Do you have any info that you can post to support this?
With all due respect to the person who posted that comment, past posts would indicate they are a disgruntled applicant who did not get in off the waitlist. I have never heard of a "reviewer of osteopathic medical schools"...unless you're actually an employee of COCA.

I don't know much about ARCOM, and TBH I'm not sure how I feel about Arkansas itself, but I was impressed by their virtual open house, high admission standards, and student feedback.

With all due respect to the person who posted that comment, past posts would indicate they are a disgruntled applicant who did not get in off the waitlist. I have never heard of a "reviewer of osteopathic medical schools"...unless you're actually an employee of COCA.

I don't know much about ARCOM, and TBH I'm not sure how I feel about Arkansas itself, but I was impressed by their virtual open house, high admission standards, and student feedback.
Yeah I looked back after I posted and thought the same thing. I’ve lived in Arkansas most of my life and loved it. Would love to go to ARCOM and stay there. Toured there when it first opened up.. super impressed

Email received today stating I will receive the secondary link within 24 hours.

Email received today stating I will receive the secondary link within 24 hours.
If it follows similar trends as previous years, a secondary almost always gets followed by an interview invite after completion. So definitely complete it in a timely manner and good luck.

Last edited:
Does secondary invite to this school mean an interview invite down the road given that you don't mess up badly on the secondary?

Does secondary invite to this school mean an interview invite down the road given that you don't mess up badly on the secondary?
Yes, from previous years people would get an interview invite 2-4 days after submitting their secondary. Unless the trend changes, a secondary most likely also means an interview invite.

Yes, from previous years people would get an interview invite 2-4 days after submitting their secondary. Unless the trend changes, a secondary most likely also means an interview invite.

Stephen Strange are you part of inaugural class? How are rotation sites? Do you think they will have quality/varied match sites/affiliates? How is staff? There was a very informative woman who spoke on a webinar panel I attended, seemed like the school (and area?) is growing well. I really wish I could visit the area - it seems outdoorsy (?) and I'm super outdoorsy. I just got a secondary - any particular side of us you think they want to see other than the usual? Thanks!

Stephen Strange are you part of inaugural class? How are rotation sites? Do you think they will have quality/varied match sites/affiliates? How is staff? There was a very informative woman who spoke on a webinar panel I attended, seemed like the school (and area?) is growing well. I really wish I could visit the area - it seems outdoorsy (?) and I'm super outdoorsy. I just got a secondary - any particular side of us you think they want to see other than the usual? Thanks!
No, the inaugural class is one year ahead of me. Rotation sites are very decent, except preceptors can be very hit or miss with the pandemic going on right now. The school already has academic affiliation with Unity Health (read it here: ARCOM partners with Unity Health for graduate education program) and is working to create new ones with Mercy, $1.3M donation benefits New Mercy, ACHE medical school residency program; Retaining doctors will improve health care, boost economy in River Valley, leaders say | ARCOM, and CHI St Vincent, CHI St. Vincent Hot Springs Announces Residency Program. The one in CHI was supposed to begin this year, but hit some road bumps plus the pandemic, and probably won't start till next year or the year after, or hopefully by the time you graduate for sure. Staff and faculty are very friendly and you'll notice that from the very first time you set foot on campus for your interview, and if you get other interviews, you'll definitely notice the difference at other schools. Yes, the whole northwest area of Arkansas is very outdoorsy and very representative of the state slogan "the natural state". If you like hiking, biking and spending time on lakes, then you'll be very happy here for sure.

Definitely complete your secondary within a week, and you're most likely gonna get an interview. The interview itself is very relaxed (unless they change the format for this year), just be yourself. They just want to know that you're a decent human being that can carry out a conversation for 30 minutes without being weird or fake.

Edit: wanted to add that for the interview make sure you have an answer for why medicine? why OSTEOPATHIC medicine specifically? and why the ARCOM? Just don't rehearse. Interviewers can easily catch rehearsed answers.

Last edited:
No, the inaugural class is one year ahead of me. Rotation sites are very decent, except preceptors can be very hit and miss with the pandemic going on right now. The school already have academic affiliation with Unity Health (read it here: ARCOM partners with Unity Health for graduate education program ) and is working to create new ones with Mercy, $1.3M donation benefits New Mercy, ACHE medical school residency program; Retaining doctors will improve health care, boost economy in River Valley, leaders say | ARCOM and CHI St Vincent, CHI St. Vincent Hot Springs Announces Residency Program . The one in CHI was supposed to begin this year, but hit some road bumps plus the pandemic, and probably won't start till next year or the year after, or hopefully by the time you graduate for sure. Staff and faculty are very friendly and you'll notice that from the very first time you set foot on campus for your interview, and if you get other interviews, you'll definitely notice the difference at other schools. Yes, the whole northwest area of Arkansas is very outdoorsy and very representative of the state slogan "the natural state". If you like hiking, biking and spending time on lakes, then you'll be very happy here for sure.

Definitely complete your secondary within a week, and you're most likely gonna get an interview. The interview itself is very relaxed (unless they change the format for this year), just be yourself. They just want to know that you're a decent human being that can carry out a conversation for 30 minutes without being weird or fake.

Edit: wanted to add that for the interview make sure you have an answer for why medicine? why OSTEOPATHIC medicine specifically? and why the ARCOM? Just don't rehearse. Interviewers can easily catch rehearsed answers.
Great info, thank you. And thanks for being in the cohort that's dealing with all this unprecedented stuff! I'm sure it's really hard, but the silver lining is that it's helping the rest of the world deal with the nation's response to medical crisis and preparing medical students for that scenario, too.

I got the invite email yesterday, but no official link for the secondary. It said within 24 hours we would get the link. Has anyone gotten it?

I got the invite email yesterday, but no official link for the secondary. It said within 24 hours we would get the link. Has anyone gotten it?
I emailed today and they stated should be by end of business day monday

" Letter of Recommendation from a DO. A letter from an MD CANNOT be accepted in lieu of a DO letter. "

Does anyone know of any leniency towards this because of COVID-19? I have a MD LOR but my DO shadowing was cancelled. I am still trying to find a DO within my workplace who would be willing to write me a LOR.

" Letter of Recommendation from a DO. A letter from an MD CANNOT be accepted in lieu of a DO letter. "

Does anyone know of any leniency towards this because of COVID-19? I have a MD LOR but my DO shadowing was cancelled. I am still trying to find a DO within my workplace who would be willing to write me a LOR.

I only have an MD letter and got a secondary. My AACOMAS app indicates my intended DO shadowing being interrupted by COVID. If they don't provide a little wiggle room here, they will have a significantly smaller pool to choose from. I wouldn't worry about it.

I only have an MD letter and got a secondary. My AACOMAS app indicates my intended DO shadowing being interrupted by COVID. If they don't provide a little wiggle room here, they will have a significantly smaller pool to choose from. I wouldn't worry about it.

THANK YOU! Submitting AACOMAS now!