2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is this a good school for crushing libs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm guessing I'm not the only one confused by the fact that Miami's Website says they require CASPer, but CASPer does not list Miami as one of the possible recipients on their website...

So I'm guessing I'm not the only one confused by the fact that Miami's Website says they require CASPer, but CASPer does not list Miami as one of the possible recipients on their website...

My understanding is that Miami has very recently added the requirement and CASPer probably hasn't updated their site yet

I think they said in the email that they will make CASPer availible to submit to the school once they send out secondaries

So how brutal is this secondary for all who have received it?

So how brutal is this secondary for all who have received it?

I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone has gotten one yet. I just received an email saying they’re reviewing my primary app and will send another email soon.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I called this school to see if they would consider US citizen applicant who did a Canadian undergraduate degree but they said no, they only consider US undergrad degree. I always thought US and Canadian UG are interchangeable..Is there anyone at UMiami who can clarify this? I felt there's a possible misalignment since AMCAS treats US and Canadian undergrad the same and verifies both..unless the definition of "foreign" means differently here.

I called this school to see if they would consider US citizen applicant who did a Canadian undergraduate degree but they said no, they only consider US undergrad degree. I always thought US and Canadian UG are interchangeable..Is there anyone at UMiami who can clarify this? I felt there's a possible misalignment since AMCAS treats US and Canadian undergrad the same and verifies both..unless the definition of "foreign" means differently here.
I think AMCAS just verifies what they see (ie. That your transcript matches what you put for course listings and grades). The weight of the transcript/grades depends on the schools accreditation. You'll need to thoroughly research each school to which you're applying to find out which are friendly to international degrees

I think AMCAS just verifies what they see (ie. That your transcript matches what you put for course listings and grades). The weight of the transcript/grades depends on the schools accreditation. You'll need to thoroughly research each school to which you're applying to find out which are friendly to international degrees

From AMCAS: Foreign Coursework Pay very close attention to this section if you participated in a study abroad program or will be including in your application coursework attempted anywhere other than at an institution in the United States or Canada.

I was so sure that AMCAS treat US and Canadian UG the same though..

I checked again on U Miami website for 2017-2018 M.D. Prerequisite Course and got a conflicting info:
"The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine accepts students who have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours of college work, including the required courses shown in the following table.
All coursework must be taken in a college or university located in North America or Puerto Rico and approved by a national accrediting agency and listed in the current Education Directory of the US Office of Education. Except for study-abroad courses taken while attending a qualified institution, credits earned at foreign institutions are not accepted. On-line courses cannot be used to fulfill the prerequisite requirements."

Now I am very confused. I would assume North America includes Canada.

From AMCAS: Foreign Coursework Pay very close attention to this section if you participated in a study abroad program or will be including in your application coursework attempted anywhere other than at an institution in the United States or Canada.

I was so sure that AMCAS treat US and Canadian UG the same though..

I checked again on U Miami website for 2017-2018 M.D. Prerequisite Course and got a conflicting info:
"The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine accepts students who have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours of college work, including the required courses shown in the following table.
All coursework must be taken in a college or university located in North America or Puerto Rico and approved by a national accrediting agency and listed in the current Education Directory of the US Office of Education. Except for study-abroad courses taken while attending a qualified institution, credits earned at foreign institutions are not accepted. On-line courses cannot be used to fulfill the prerequisite requirements."

Now I am very confused. I would assume North America includes Canada.
Yeah you kind of summed up what I said . AMCAS treats the courses the same. They don't care about accreditation, they just care that your transcript matches what you enter into their app. That's their job. But AMCAS does not equal medical school admissions. They just provide med schools with course verifications. Each med school then decides what that means to them. Miami (and I think most if not all med schools) require that your institution be accredited according to the rules that you posted from their website. AMCAS will pass on whatever courses you send their way with a legit transcript, but that doesn't mean the courses will have any value to the med school if they're not from an accredited institution. You need to find out if your university is accredited according to Miami's requirements which you posted above

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you kind of summed up what I said . AMCAS treats the courses the same. They don't care about accreditation, they just care that your transcript matches what you enter into their app. That's their job. But AMCAS does not equal medical school admissions. They just provide med schools with course verifications. Each med school then decides what that means to them. Miami (and I think most if not all med schools) require that your institution be accredited according to the rules that you posted from their website. AMCAS will pass on whatever courses you send their way with a legit transcript, but that doesn't mean the courses will have any value to the med school if they're not from an accredited institution. You need to find out if your university is accredited according to Miami's requirements which you posted above

Fair enough. I will email the institution. It's just slightly weird when pretty much every other school recognizes U of Toronto and McGill from Canada.

Duke is one of my top choices and I have done some pretty in-depth research and found nothing even close to the UM video that breaks it down. My guess is that the # of secondary applications completed is ~70-80% of the # of primary applications. My reasoning is that applicants are more likely to be serious about a Duke application and thus more likely to submit (and the ones that don't are probably the reach applications anyways).

It's around 50-60%

Actually it looks like @medschoolzombie just got it :O
Well funny story here. I got 3 emails from Miami. The first 2 about the “we’ll get back to you with that secondary” and then a few hours later I got a notification with a heading that’s like “ the link to your secondary app is below” but when I refreshed the page, that message disappeared.

Now I’m freaking out that they messed up, rescinded that email, and are screening me out

Fair enough. I will email the institution. It's just slightly weird when pretty much every other school recognizes U of Toronto and McGill from Canada.

Please let me know what they say as I am in the same boat.

Well funny story here. I got 3 emails from Miami. The first 2 about the “we’ll get back to you with that secondary” and then a few hours later I got a notification with a heading that’s like “ the link to your secondary app is below” but when I refreshed the page, that message disappeared.

Now I’m freaking out that they messed up, rescinded that email, and are screening me out

Wait the email disappeared from your inbox? I don't think they can just unsend an email to you..

Reactions: 1 users
Wait the email disappeared from your inbox? I don't think they can just unsend an email to you..
Ya like I still have the ‘3 emails’ but the last one doesn’t have content anymore.

You apparently can Unsend emails at least in gmail. Don’t know what admissions uses

Ya like I still have the ‘3 emails’ but the last one doesn’t have content anymore.

You apparently can Unsend emails at least in gmail. Don’t know what admissions uses
That only works for up to 30 seconds. I use it for work emails just to proofread for typo's. Recipients don't receive the email until the 30 second is up.

You may want to contact their admissions office and see what's going on. It's impossible to revoke emails that someone has already received.

I got the acknowledgment of primary receipt Monday, and have still not received the secondary or any duplicate email in error...

Just checked Casper's website, looks like Miami has been added!

wow...TIL ^

That only works for up to 30 seconds. I use it for work emails just to proofread for typo's. Recipients don't receive the email until the 30 second is up.

You may want to contact their admissions office and see what's going on. It's impossible to revoke emails that someone has already received.
I probabaly will. On the bright side I just got another “we’ll let you know about that secondary” email again so

Added Miami to the primary application last Thursday/Friday and still haven't gotten a single email from Miami, including the "receipt of your application" one. Anybody else in the same boat?

In their "2022 Class Profile" page it says that one of the students went to McGill... so I think it should be fine :)

In their "2022 Class Profile" page it says that one of the students went to McGill... so I think it should be fine :)

Hey I actually just emailed them about my full situation and called. The office lady said she will escalate this to the dean and I am just waiting for the dean's response. Hopefully it's fine!

Added Miami to the primary application last Thursday/Friday and still haven't gotten a single email from Miami, including the "receipt of your application" one. Anybody else in the same boat?
I'll lend you my emails man. Just got my 4th notification that miami received my primary lol

I'll lend you my emails man. Just got my 4th notification that miami received my primary lol

Greatly appreciated, but I will have to respectfully decline. I am actually praying for my secondaries to release slowly and not all at once (especially UM's one lol) :laugh::laugh:. Cause my committee letter is going to be another month or so and would rather not have to do all these secondaries so early.

Hey I actually just emailed them about my full situation and called. The office lady said she will escalate this to the dean and I am just waiting for the dean's response. Hopefully it's fine!
Great, let me know what they say!

Can anyone who received Miami's secondary post the prompts?

Perhaps they are making it smaller this year

Just paid the CASPer fee for Miami. Hopefully secondary arrives soon.

Anyone else memorize their credit card information yet, lol. I can type in everything without even getting my card from my wallet anymore. These secondaries are really adding up

Reactions: 4 users
Just paid the CASPer fee for Miami. Hopefully secondary arrives soon.

Anyone else memorize their credit card information yet, lol. I can type in everything without even getting my card from my wallet anymore. These secondaries are really adding up

Shoutout google chrome autofill for memorizing every secondary app's username and password. You the real MVP.

Reactions: 9 users
It appears that starting this cycle they screen for secondary invites. Anyone know if it's a number or holistic screen?

It's under Admission, page "Changes to 2018-2019". It is in the same paragraph where they talk about the competitive MCAT ranges 505-515.

Number screens don't usually take this long so I would guess it's holistic. Kinda makes sense though with how long their secondary is though
Nobody wanna sort through all those essays

Number screens don't usually take this long so I would guess it's holistic. Kinda makes sense though with how long their secondary is though
Nobody wanna sort through all those essays
Maybe they are screening based on what they asked in the secondary last year and will change it to have a more focused and less broad range secondary for those who get it (or at least we can hope so).

Maybe they are screening based on what they asked in the secondary last year and will change it to have a more focused and less broad range secondary for those who get it (or at least we can hope so).
Love the positivity. I'm saving this secondary for last because I feel a change coming as well

Love the positivity. I'm saving this secondary for last because I feel a change coming as well
I just added them today when I saw they screen in hopes that the secondary will change. Seems like a lot of schools are hanging prompts this year.

It's under Admission, page "Changes to 2018-2019". It is in the same paragraph where they talk about the competitive MCAT ranges 505-515.

I guess it depends on how you interpret this:

"The Miller School of Medicine has a new policy of sending secondary applications to most US citizens and permanent residents who submit an AMCAS application. It will be the applicant’s decision whether to fill out the secondary application and submit it" (emphasis mine)

Most =/= all so there must be some kind of screen but it doesn't sounds like a particularly stringent one

I guess it depends on how you interpret this:

"The Miller School of Medicine has a new policy of sending secondary applications to most US citizens and permanent residents who submit an AMCAS application. It will be the applicant’s decision whether to fill out the secondary application and submit it" (emphasis mine)

Most =/= all so there must be some kind of screen but it doesn't sounds like a particularly stringent one
Given how ambiguous this sound, I would say it's a holistic screen. Don't think it's a number screen because they probably won't know what the cutoff should be given that it's the first year they're screening

Anyone else ask for feedback from last cycle and get roasted? Some steep standards at Miami and I even have a well rounded app haha