2019-2020 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you folks have to start your lease for June, July or August? I'm finding a lot of place open in Sept...

Sept is the main leasing cycle since that's when most undergrads move to Boston. I think June is the second most common. Given the situation with covid, you may be able to find housing that starts earlier than Sept if the current tenants are trying to move out early. These will usually run 14/15 months to end up back on the September cycle.

The best places to find these types of sublets are on the Boston housing facebook groups (if you search for them on FB and join the top 3-4 results then you should find some options!).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you folks have to start your lease for June, July or August? I'm finding a lot of place open in Sept...
My lease starts July 1st. Most places start sept 1st but there are still plenty of places available for July and August start dates. All the places that didn’t rent in June will now become July start dates, so on and so forth.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's been nearly 3 weeks since the only reported WL movement on SDN :( I was really hoping for more movement than that...

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I know, I was hoping for more too. I suspect that if there is any additional movement, you'll be among the first to know! I think there's still the potential for movement through the end of the month--last year there wasn't much wait list movement until June. It's definitely time to start planning a reapplication, although it's probably okay to wait another couple of weeks to actually submit.

Reactions: 1 users
I know, I was hoping for more too. I suspect that if there is any additional movement, you'll be among the first to know! I think there's still the potential for movement through the end of the month--last year there wasn't much wait list movement until June. It's definitely time to start planning a reapplication, although it's probably okay to wait another couple of weeks to actually submit.
You're absolutely right, and I'm just putting the finishing touches on my reapplication right now! I just really liked the school when I interviewed and I just got my hopes so high when I saw that first WL A! I thought it would be the first of several, but I guess if it's meant to be, it'll happen whenever and I can't control it. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone apply for the Bridges to MD Program (the master's program that guarantees acceptance if x GPA maintained) or know how many people are invited to apply for it? They told me only 1-2 people are admitted to it per year.

Is there a group for students accepted into the deferred program for class of 2025? Anyone know whether the classes will be online?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news on Maine Track? Is the CTE deadline for Maine Track 6/29?

For those folks moving in this summer: Are you starting your lease now, July or August? I've heard Jamaica Plains has been a popular rental location (due to the Orange line). What are some other neighborhoods people are settling into?

For those folks moving in this summer: Are you starting your lease now, July or August? I've heard Jamaica Plains has been a popular rental location (due to the Orange line). What are some other neighborhoods people are settling into?

from what I’ve seen, some are moving into apartments within 5-10 min of campus. A few others are moving to Cambridge. I personally went with JP cause it was more affordable and still offered a relatively easy commute.

July

Part of the reason I’m asking about the timing to move in is that it seems most all of orientation will be virtual. So being in Boston may not be necessary until Aug 1.

Part of the reason I’m asking about the timing to move in is that it seems most all of orientation will be virtual. So being in Boston may not be necessary until Aug 1.

I chose to move in July. Either could work, personally I wanted to be settled in before classes officially start. Moving can be hectic, especially if you're coming from another state and need to spend another couple days shopping for/assembling furniture & kitchen ware.

I chose to move in July. Either could work, personally I wanted to be settled in before classes officially start. Moving can be hectic, especially if you're coming from another state and need to spend another couple days shopping for/assembling furniture & kitchen ware.

What neighborhood did you settle on?

I’m moving in August 1!

It seems like the going rate within 20 minutes of campus is btwn $3000-3800 for a 3 Bd. Worse neighborhood, away from transportation, further commute = lower rent.

What neighborhood did you settle on?

I will be living in Somerville :) rent is ~$1100/ea for a 3 bed 1 bath, but each room has a lot of space. Having the extra study space is something I thought would be especially important during covid-era!

It seems like the going rate within 20 minutes of campus is btwn $3000-3800 for a 3 Bd. Worse neighborhood, away from transportation, further commute = lower rent.
Welcome to living in a city lol. If you live anywhere on the orange line you can get to Tufts very quickly and easily.

I will be living in Somerville :) rent is ~$1100/ea for a 3 bed 1 bath, but each room has a lot of space. Having the extra study space is something I thought would be especially important during covid-era!

Thinking about that. Traditionally Med students work some long / odd hours on campus / hospital. I’m not sure I’d want the commute to save 1-200 a month. We’ll see.

classes done pretty early, worth the saving,older brother attended school,no odd hours for first two years,

Thinking about that. Traditionally Med students work some long / odd hours on campus / hospital. I’m not sure I’d want the commute to save 1-200 a month. We’ll see.

I think we will be required to be on campus only 2 days out of the week (at least from what the important dates PDF suggests). The savings & larger space is definitely worth it IMO. Living close to campus will not only be more expensive, you are also more likely to have a much smaller space to study in.

Accepted from the Maine Track waitlist yesterday. Keep the faith!

Reactions: 9 users
One of the deans did say that they were still in the process of finalizing the class! Hang in there everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone is still looking for housing/roommates in the area and is cool living with a dog hit a girl up.

21 days prior to matriculation. It's coming up I think this Friday?

Orientation begins Tuesday July 28th. So if that's the matriculation date, the CTE deadline should be tomorrow.

EDIT: the person I was talking to deleted their posts, making it look like I was having a discussion with myself... They asked first when the CTE deadline would be, and then when classes start.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I've heard a lot of M1's renting in Jamaica Plains, but Is anyone moving into "The North End?"

I've heard a lot of M1's renting in Jamaica Plains, but Is anyone moving into "The North End?"
I am living in the North End and I absolutely love it!! I do not have a car, but I live an eight-minute walk to two different T stations and everything is very accessible. The neighborhood is very vibrant and safe. Let me know if you decide to live in the North End

Just got the rejection letter after deferral to wait list. Good luck to everyone applying next year!