2019-2020 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else qualify for the fee assistance during this application cycle, but only qualify for loans here? I know Tuft's criteria differs from AAMC, but man I was hoping for at least something positive.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else qualify for the fee assistance during this application cycle, but only qualify for loans here? I know Tuft's criteria differs from AAMC, but man I was hoping for at least something positive.

I would call the office and talk to them if you want to see if there is wiggle room, but the reason why it differs from FAP is because Tufts takes into account your parents assets. They think this is the "best" way to even the playing field even though I think it's total BS. It could also just be that there are more people who accepted offers that demonstrated more need than you did. I know it sucks. I am in the same boat :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone contacted admissions about pass fail coursework? My school is allowing us to electively take courses pass fail, and I know that tufts has said they strongly suggest we take courses for a grade if we have the option. Does this mean that my acceptance could be rescinded if I take a P/F?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone contacted admissions about pass fail coursework? My school is allowing us to electively take courses pass fail, and I know that tufts has said they strongly suggest we take courses for a grade if we have the option. Does this mean that my acceptance could be rescinded if I take a P/F?

Highly doubtful

Just withdrew my acceptance to Maine Track... bittersweet but hoping that someone else gets my scholarship and acceptance! It was such a tough decision.

Reactions: 6 users
Was I supposed to select Plan to Enroll before today? I just logged onto AMCAS and I couldn't select either Plan to Enroll or Commit to Enroll for some reason... and I've withdrawn from everywhere else and put my deposit down

Was I supposed to select Plan to Enroll before today? I just logged onto AMCAS and I couldn't select either Plan to Enroll or Commit to Enroll for some reason... and I've withdrawn from everywhere else and put my deposit down
There seems to be technical issues with CYMS right now

This school is insanely expensive. On the waitlist and am wondering if people removed from waitlist are equally considered for award packages..?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This school is insanely expensive. On the waitlist and am wondering if people removed from waitlist are equally considered for award packages..?

there really isnt an award package other than loans xd

I mean, I got a good award package and I’m planning to attend, but I’m sure there are others who got a good package and are still going to enroll elsewhere!

According to the FA office, they do redistribute any aid that was given to students who do not attend. They said that in years past, aid has been sent out later during the year once they have more information about what is remaining in their budget. The FA office also mentioned that there are a lot of students with significant financial need who were admitted this year and that may reduce funds available for redistribution. To complicate matters further, many admitted students have sent in petitions for their award package due to COVID.

Accepted off wl for Maine track this evening
Will ask about aid and then make a decision

Reactions: 11 users
Nice, congratulations! Also, did they call you to accept you off the wait list or did they just send an email? Thank you!

They just sent an email. And unfortunately I’m from the mountain west so it will likely be too expensive for me.

Reactions: 2 users
They just sent an email. And unfortunately I’m from the mountain west so it will likely be too expensive for me.
That makes sense, and I'm sorry to hear that--I thought everyone in Maine Track got the scholarship, and I just realized it's only half the class max. The cost is hard to justify if you have other options...

Thanks again for replying, and I hope you're happy and successful wherever you end up :)

I think a major reason Tufts has a decent amount of "turn downs" is the cost. It is worth noting for Maine Track folks, years 2, 3, 4 you should have significantly cheaper living expenses than living in Boston. You can get a decent apartment in Portland for 1000-1200 a month. Rural rotations more like $6-800 a month.

Also, one of the people who interviewed me at my Maine Track interview said that if you choose to do the LIC program 3rd year, the school sets you up with free housing. Not sure if this is currently in place still but would obvious help with cost

Any movement at all from anyone on the regular MD waitlist? Just wondering!

Any movement at all from anyone on the regular MD waitlist? Just wondering!
You were on the priority wait list, right? You'll probably hear before anyone else when wait list movement begins :p

You were on the priority wait list, right? You'll probably hear before anyone else when wait list movement begins :p

Hahaha fair enough Just waiting on that movement to start now...

Hahaha fair enough Just waiting on that movement to start now...
I'm really hoping we do see some movement. Looking through past years' threads, Tufts has a history of over-accepting, and one year actually sent out emails asking people to defer... But since the change to the new PTE/CTE system, schools (including Tufts) have been more cautious with their As, and last year it looks like Tufts had some reasonable wait list movement. Although I think it started in late May last year. I guess we have no option other than to keep waiting :D

I didn’t know Tufts had a priority waitlist. Is this new?

I didn’t know Tufts had a priority waitlist. Is this new?
Based on previous years' threads, it's for people who interviewed later in the cycle who would have gotten a regular acceptance had they interviewed earlier. We don't know how many people are on it, but given how few people mention it, it is safe to assume it's pretty short.

I called admissions today and they straight up told me they have no idea when the WL might move. Apparently they are waiting for some accepted peeps to make their decisions so it sounds like they are taking the cautious approach. Either way, super nerve wracking and pretty cruel to be honest.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I called admissions today and they straight up told me they have no idea when the WL might move. Apparently they are waiting for some accepted peeps to make their decisions so it sounds like they are taking the cautious approach. Either way, super nerve wracking and pretty cruel to be honest.
That's at least confirmation that it hasn't moved yet! Thank you for making the call, you're awesome <3

I'm really hoping we do see some movement. Looking through past years' threads, Tufts has a history of over-accepting, and one year actually sent out emails asking people to defer... But since the change to the new PTE/CTE system, schools (including Tufts) have been more cautious with their As, and last year it looks like Tufts had some reasonable wait list movement. Although I think it started in late May last year. I guess we have no option other than to keep waiting :D

That’s a good point! I’m actually having a hard time actually finding Tufts’ CTE deadline, do you know when that is?

On their info for accepted students page:

All applicants admitted to Tufts University School of Medicine must select the ‘commit to enroll’ option no later than 21 days prior to matriculation (this deadline is dependent on an applicant’s specific program start date).

That’s a good point! I’m actually having a hard time actually finding Tufts’ CTE deadline, do you know when that is?
Considering

All applicants admitted to Tufts University School of Medicine must select the ‘commit to enroll’ option no later than 21 days prior to matriculation (this deadline is dependent on an applicant’s specific program start date).

Im sorry but doesnt that make it super crappy for WL people if someone is trying to decide between one or the other and just biding their time?

Last year they had a CTE deadline of 6/30 I think, and given matriculation is ~7/30 it looks like they actually pushed the deadline even closer to matriculation this year. They must have a reason to make it so late, but I don't quite understand it...

Hi I hope everyone has been hanging in there. I just received the call from Dean Neumeyer, I’ve been accepted off of the priority waitlist!! There is movement — good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

Reactions: 10 users
Hi I hope everyone has been hanging in there. I just received the call from Dean Neumeyer, I’ve been accepted off of the priority waitlist!! There is movement — good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

Congrats!! Can I ask when exactly today you got the call? I’m also on the priority waitlist

Are we allowed to call the admissions office to inquire about our position on the waitlist?

Are we allowed to call the admissions office to inquire about our position on the waitlist?
I think we are *allowed* to, but I don't think they are necessarily willing to divulge information. I emailed and didn't hear back.

Has any accepted student began looking for housing? Can anyone give advice on the best locations to live around the area