2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Middletown Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just concerned about the time to study for boards/ extracurriculars. know they give you 4 weeks as a designated study period. But with the residency merger happening, I'd want to do as well as possible on both the USMLE and COMLEX. And while we're watching videos, aren't other people doing stuff to better their application for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just concerned about the time to study for boards/ extracurriculars. know they give you 4 weeks as a designated study period. But with the residency merger happening, I'd want to do as well as possible on both the USMLE and COMLEX. And while we're watching videos, aren't other people doing stuff to better their application for residency?

The videos aren’t the problem. Every school has lectures—some have in-person ones and others don’t. I actually prefer recorded lectures that you can watch on your own time over mandatory in-person lectures, so Touro is good for me in that regard.

Personally, my biggest concern is the clicker sessions. At some other schools, you just have recorded online lectures and mandatory labs, so you have a lot of time to self-study and do board prep on the side. The clicker sessions dig into study time, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
The videos aren’t the problem. Every school has lectures—some have in-person ones and others don’t. I actually prefer recorded lectures that you can watch on your own time over mandatory in-person lectures, so Touro is good for me in that regard.

Personally, my biggest concern is the clicker sessions. At some other schools, you just have recorded online lectures and mandatory labs, so you have a lot of time to self-study and do board prep on the side. The clicker sessions dig into study time, in my opinion.
When I interviewed, most students said they spent a lot of their clicker sessions studying and watching lectures rather than really participating in the clicker sessions. Also, they said you don’t essentially “have to” attend the clicker sessions if you are doing well and happy not getting that extra percentage on top of your grade just based on exams etc. In my opinion, we will just have to see what happens once we start and get into the groove of things. Everyone studies differently and manages time differently, but I’m confident we will find our methods that work best for us!

Reactions: 1 user
When I interviewed, most students said they spent a lot of their clicker sessions studying and watching lectures rather than really participating in the clicker sessions. Also, they said you don’t essentially “have to” attend the clicker sessions if you are doing well and happy not getting that extra percentage on top of your grade just based on exams etc. In my opinion, we will just have to see what happens once we start and get into the groove of things. Everyone studies differently and manages time differently, but I’m confident we will find our methods that work best for us!

Yeah, hopefully it’ll be ok.

what are clickers worth, like 10%? Does anybody know the typical schedule/exam schedule of a second-year student?

Last edited:
Also for step 2 preparation does touro expect you to study for the physical exam and clinical skills and take them all within the 4 week vacation block?

Last edited:
Would a current student be able to comment about the surrounding area? It seemed fine when I interviewed, but I’ve heard from a few people that it’s not the safest

I hope they publish the 2018-2019 match rate and COMLEX pass rates soon. Would be really informative.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know when match results will be posted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know how "hard" the weekly exams are? Advice on how to board prep with clickers at same time?

Anyone know if there is/was a second look day?

Anyone from the 2/25 OR LATER interview dates get accepted?

Anyone from the 2/25 OR LATER interview dates get accepted?
Do we know the last interview dates that have gotten feedback either way? I was 3/18 and continue to barely maintain my sanity as I wait.

Got pulled off the waitlist yesterday!
Interviewed on 1/14 and waitlisted on 3/7

Reactions: 3 users
Got pulled off the waitlist yesterday!
Interviewed on 1/14 and waitlisted on 3/7

Did you send any emails to Frank between the time you were waitlisted and when you were accepted?

The curriculum at TouroCOM NY is very dysfunctional. I would caution anyone who plans on attending here. They use a "flipped classroom" model where you watch recorded lectures at home and then attend interactive sessions with faculty where you discuss concepts and answer questions based on that week's material. Class attendance is 10% of your grade. The problem is, these sessions are mandatory and take up A LOT of time during the week. Touro does not use a block exam schedule so there is at least one exam per week but can be up to 3-4 per week during busier parts of the semester. What ends up happening is that it becomes impossible to prepare both for exams and interactive sessions simultaneously. So you stop watching lectures before class and end up sitting there knowing absolutely nothing because you have instead been studying for the next exam which, invariably, covers a ton of content. Devoted study time for exams is sorely lacking at this school. We constantly have to cram full units of material in a weekend because so much of our time is wasted during the week attending the interactives. It is very frustrating and very stressful. Year after year, students plead with the administration to lessen the number of hours of mandatory class and nothing has been done yet. By spring semester second year, people just stop going anyway. They allow only two unexcused absences before your grade is affected. I am not necessarily saying that you shouldn't attend Touro but I want to give fair warning that the curriculum is very deeply flawed.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you send any emails to Frank between the time you were waitlisted and when you were accepted?
I sent an LOI as well as an update letter to Frank between that time.

The curriculum at TouroCOM NY is very dysfunctional. I would caution anyone who plans on attending here. They use a "flipped classroom" model where you watch recorded lectures at home and then attend interactive sessions with faculty where you discuss concepts and answer questions based on that week's material. Class attendance is 10% of your grade. The problem is, these sessions are mandatory and take up A LOT of time during the week. Touro does not use a block exam schedule so there is at least one exam per week but can be up to 3-4 per week during busier parts of the semester. What ends up happening is that it becomes impossible to prepare both for exams and interactive sessions simultaneously. So you stop watching lectures before class and end up sitting there knowing absolutely nothing because you have instead been studying for the next exam which, invariably, covers a ton of content. Devoted study time for exams is sorely lacking at this school. We constantly have to cram full units of material in a weekend because so much of our time is wasted during the week attending the interactives. It is very frustrating and very stressful. Year after year, students plead with the administration to lessen the number of hours of mandatory class and nothing has been done yet. By spring semester second year, people just stop going anyway. They allow only two unexcused absences before your grade is affected. I am not necessarily saying that you shouldn't attend Touro but I want to give fair warning that the curriculum is very deeply flawed.

Why do they do this? Don’t they realize that the most successful DO schools right now don’t have mandatory lectures/clicker sessions? This is truly the most unappealing aspect of Touro-NY. It’s not like the school is doing great with their board passage rates (putting it lightly), so why are they not changing the curriculum to allow for student autonomy?

I like Touro-Middletown because of its geographic convenience for me as a New Yorker, and I think there’s a nice sense of community there... but I can’t wrap my head around the clicker sessions. I was hoping to go to a truly attendance-optional school, because I’m an independent learner.

Why do they do this? Don’t they realize that the most successful DO schools right now don’t have mandatory lectures/clicker sessions? This is truly the most unappealing aspect of Touro-NY. It’s not like the school is doing great with their board passage rates (putting it lightly), so why are they not changing the curriculum to allow for student autonomy?

I like Touro-Middletown because of its geographic convenience for me as a New Yorker, and I think there’s a nice sense of community there... but I can’t wrap my head around the clicker sessions. I was hoping to go to a truly attendance-optional school, because I’m an independent learner.
Agree to disagree, I think having some form of interactive learning is better than nothing, and worst yet, some schools have mandatory lectures M-Fr 8-5. Although, I considered myself a semi-independent learner, i do in fact, love the idea of sitting in class and have that opportunity to exercise what i learn by talking/discussing with my classmates and professors. As you can see already, not everyone is alike in terms of studying habits. So, don't bash the curriculum just bc it may not be the best-fit for you. Anyway, Im not a current student, so I don't know truly to the extent of how current students are handling this issue, but to me, I don't mind at all being in class bc having it mandatory keep me on my feet and stay on task. My take is, wherever you go for med school, manage your time well, and work around the school curriculum, and you'll be just fine!

Agree to disagree, I think having some form of interactive learning is better than nothing, and worst yet, some schools have mandatory lectures M-Fr 8-5. Although, I considered myself a semi-independent learner, i do in fact, love the idea of sitting in class and have that opportunity to exercise what i learn by talking/discussing with my classmates and professors. As you can see already, not everyone is alike in terms of studying habits. So, don't bash the curriculum just bc it may not be the best-fit for you. Anyway, Im not a current student, so I don't know truly to the extent of how current students are handling this issue, but to me, I don't mind at all being in class bc having it mandatory keep me on my feet and stay on task. My take is, wherever you go for med school, manage your time well, and work around the school curriculum, and you'll be just fine!
+1 The way the curriculum is set up aligns very well to the results of a lot of STEM education research. Also not a current student but my perspective as an applicant. But as with any curriculum, it takes a good amount of buy-in for it to be successful.

Just for the record, I’m not criticizing the curriculum just because clickers aren’t a good fit for me. If others people prefer clicker sessions over independent study, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. It would be great for clicker sessions to be an option for students who feel they’d benefit from them. My only concern is that clicker sessions are, in effect, MANDATORY, in that they are 10% of your grade.

The widely accepted wisdom on both SDN and Reddit from current and former medical students is that mandatory attendance is an unpleasant burden in med school. Maybe they’re all wrong. I’m not a current med student, so I can’t know from my own experience. I’m just going off of what I’ve read and heard from people who’ve been in the trenches.

I’m glad that you and others have a positive attitude about it, though, and I hope you’re right and that the current student who posted above is wrong.
I didn't mean to say that you are bashing the curriculum as it would be silly since youre not a current student, rather, that post was for the person who initially posted "the curriculum is deeply flawed". As to anything in this day of age, take anything you read online with a grain of salt. Those who posted their hatred comments/negative remarks online are far few from the majority. It is always best to keep our filter in check when reading these online forums.

I think the problem with the clicker sessions is that it should work in theory, but practically it doesn't. Yes, a successful med student should be able to budget their time correctly. However, there seems to be a disconnect between the amount of time in the classroom with the outcome. I mean the person with the optional attendance school is hours ahead in study time if they budget it effectively. And if you want to compare mandatory attendance schools CUSOM had a 100% rate with COMLEX 1, meaning TOURO NY definitely needs to tweak its curriculum. And one can argue that the COMLEX 2 CE low pass rate is on the students (not reading up on cases on their own), but there is no reason to explain the low PE pass rate.

I think the problem with the clicker sessions is that it should work in theory, but practically it doesn't. Yes, a successful med student should be able to budget their time correctly. However, there seems to be a disconnect between the amount of time in the classroom with the outcome. I mean the person with the optional attendance school is hours ahead in study time if they budget it effectively. And if you want to compare mandatory attendance schools CUSOM had a 100% rate with COMLEX 1, meaning TOURO NY definitely needs to tweak its curriculum. And one can argue that the COMLEX 2 CE low pass rate is on the students (not reading up on cases on their own), but there is no reason to explain the low PE pass rate.

Very true. A majority of the most reputable DO schools seem to have optional attendance—no mandatory lecture or mandatory review sessions... KCU, DMU, Western, even the CA and NV Touros. All of these schools have great board scores and match lists, and they haven’t needed time-consuming graded clicker sessions. Idk what Touro-NY’s rationale for having them is.

Also exams "3-4 a week"? They said one a week during my interview...
Wrong. Exams are usually on Mondays but during busier times of the year, there may be 3-4 tests within a 7 day time frame if you include practicals. For example: Monday-anatomy written/practical, Wednesday - OSCE, Friday OMM written, Monday - Immunology written. This is not an unrealistic exam schedule at all at this school. Tell me, how are you supposed to watch the lectures for class AND study for all these exams? Some weeks, there are six hours of video lecture for anatomy alone. I haven't met a student yet who can do it all. It's not as if one hour in clickers translates to one hour less you need to study for a test. Clickers are nothing more than an added responsibility for which we simply haven't got the time. And once you do get behind, you tend to spiral further and further and it becomes very difficult to catch up. As mentioned above, it's the fact that we don't have the option to come that is the main problem. Some people like to go to class, I get it. One person above mentioned that this sounds like it could work in theory. So did communism and that's all I'll say about that. If you want to be an idealist and say "if you manage your time effectively, you'll be fine" go ahead. But the reality is that this is like having your hands tied behind your back and thrown into the ocean.

I can't wait for you to try it.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, I'm not trying to bash anything. I'm simply giving people a realistic picture of what it's like at Touro. People are getting fed up. I think it's going to start harming this school's reputation if they don't change something soon.

Also, I'm not trying to bash anything. I'm simply giving people a realistic picture of what it's like at Touro. People are getting fed up. I think it's going to start harming this school's reputation if they don't change something soon.

Do students complain to the administrators? If so, what's usually the response? Given the state of Touro-NY's current board passage rates, how can the administrators justify requiring clicker sessions when most of the best-performing DO schools across the US (INCLUDING TOURO-NV AND TOURO-CA) have no mandatory review sessions?

Wouldn't these classes help you for exams, because you're learning material relevant to your studies? Or do the clicker sessions and exams contain seperate material?

Wouldn't these classes help you for exams, because you're learning material relevant to your studies? Or do the clicker sessions and exams contain seperate material?

I think it’s been said that the exams (every Mon) and the clicker sessions (Tues through Thurs) can be on different topics... so over the weekend, you have to sometimes study different stuff for the exams and the clickers, or you prep solely for the exams and take the L on the clickers.

And if you completely mastered the content of the clickers, you still have to sit around and click for hours instead of independently studying to cover your weaknesses and doing board prep using supplemental resources. The clicker questions projected on the board are switched rapidly, and you have to concentrate on clicking on time.

Some people only learn by going to class and engaging in discussion. I totally get that. But I don’t see why the clicker sessions have to be graded/non-optional.

But wouldn’t you have done clickers on Monday’s exam the (T-Th) prior, and decreasing the amount of time you have to study the weekend prior? Of course, theoretically. I completely understand what your concerns are about the mandatory part. I think there’s a lot of mandatory class time here that I’m not crazy about.

While attendance is mandatory and a percent of the class grade, what percent of your grade are the clicker sessions? Is it a huge enough percent that you’ll take a hit if not prepared or can it serve as a preview of the material so long as you at least skim the material?

Musculo said:
While attendance is mandatory and a percent of the class grade, what percent of your grade are the clicker sessions? Is it a huge enough percent that you’ll take a hit if not prepared or can it serve as a preview of the material so long as you at least skim the material?

10%, which is a pretty big chunk, considering I heard the exams are hard and the average exam grades are low.

10%, which is a pretty big chunk, considering I heard the exams are hard and the average exam grades are low.
So basically 20% of the grade is based on mandatory lectures. Yikes, that’s quite a bit! They said that exams are graded on a curve based on the previous year IIRC. So students this year aren’t performing as well as previous years??

So basically 20% of the grade is based on mandatory lectures. Yikes, that’s quite a bit! They said that exams are graded on a curve based on the previous year IIRC. So students this year aren’t performing as well as previous years??

Wait, attendance is mandatory? I thought attendance was technically optional, but that the clickers are 10% (and you obviously have to attend the classes in order to do the clickers)

Idk about how people are performing on exams relative to past years... but unless you’re a superstar who aces every exam, the 10% from clickers can be the difference between a B and a C

But wouldn’t you have done clickers on Monday’s exam the (T-Th) prior, and decreasing the amount of time you have to study the weekend prior? Of course, theoretically. I completely understand what your concerns are about the mandatory part. I think there’s a lot of mandatory class time here that I’m not crazy about.

Clickers are 10% of your grade, not 20%. That 10% comes from the number of questions you answer correctly during the semester. Attendance is "mandatory" because you will be marked as having gotten every question wrong if you don't show up. You will likely answer most of the clicker questions correctly because you and your classmates will have the PowerPoint slides on your computer and you will frantically Ctrl F for key words to find the answer. The main point I am trying to drive home is that it becomes impossible to show up to clickers prepared because there are NONSTOP exams and practicals. It is barbaric. You simply cannot watch all the lecture content and adequately prepare for exams simultaneously. The time simply isn't there. The schedule allows you no freedom whatsoever and you are merely responding to the next crisis. We all sit in clickers CLUELESS because we've either just had a huge exam or have practicals/OSCEs/written exams within the next day or two. We calculated an average of one test every 2.3 days during the last two weeks of October. The spring semester is worse. Believe me, I'm not some pissed off, failing medical student who's just bitter at the curriculum (although I truly do hate it). I am telling you the facts as myself and most of my classmates have come to learn them. These are things people need to know before they make a decision to come here. Nobody at the school will tell you this when you interview. You will only see the positive side. Whenever an interviewee asks me "how do you like it?" I respond with "it is extremely challenging but I'm grateful to be here". And that's true. The reason I don't tell the whole truth is because I don't want to fill someones head with this sad reality on the day of his interview. Neither am I trying to rob anyone the joy of having gotten into medical school. If this is your only acceptance, congratulations, you made it into a US school and you'll be a doctor soon enough. But I hope you are are good at cramming because you will be doing plenty of it unless something changes.

Reactions: 4 users
Clickers are 10% of your grade, not 20%. That 10% comes from the number of questions you answer correctly during the semester. Attendance is "mandatory" because you will be marked as having gotten every question wrong if you don't show up. You will likely answer most of the clicker questions correctly because you and your classmates will have the PowerPoint slides on your computer and you will frantically Ctrl F for key words to find the answer. The main point I am trying to drive home is that it becomes impossible to show up to clickers prepared because there are NONSTOP exams and practicals. It is barbaric. You simply cannot watch all the lecture content and adequately prepare for exams simultaneously. The time simply isn't there. The schedule allows you no freedom whatsoever and you are merely responding to the next crisis. We all sit in clickers CLUELESS because we've either just had a huge exam or have practicals/OSCEs/written exams within the next day or two. We calculated an average of one test every 2.3 days during the last two weeks of October. The spring semester is worse. Believe me, I'm not some pissed off, failing medical student who's just bitter at the curriculum (although I truly do hate it). I am telling you the facts as myself and most of my classmates have come to learn them. These are things people need to know before they make a decision to come here. Nobody at the school will tell you this when you interview. You will only see the positive side. Whenever an interviewee asks me "how do you like it?" I respond with "it is extremely challenging but I'm grateful to be here". And that's true. The reason I don't tell the whole truth is because I don't want to fill someones head with this sad reality on the day of his interview. Neither am I trying to rob anyone the joy of having gotten into medical school. If this is your only acceptance, congratulations, you made it into a US school and you'll be a doctor soon enough. But I hope you are are good at cramming because you will be doing plenty of it unless something changes.

How well do people score on these weekly exams on average?

Do you know why the board passage rates are so low? I’ve asked several current students, and nobody seems to know. One out of five students failing COMLEX 2 is pretty concerning.

Ahh ok. But if you get 50% (which is failing) you get 5 points to your overall grade. Ehh not bad. I do think schools that have non-mandatory lectures have a huge advantage. Stinks they have not caught on yet here. Cramming for 2 years does not sound fun! Being in the middle of it sucks and is hard. But it certainly prepares you for a life in healthcare!! (at least from my viewpoint right now)

The low pass rates are definitely concerning, especially with the residency merger. If you fail your boards the first time around you might lose your spot to an IMG that didn't... As to being "prepared for a life in healthcare", I think that's kind of a foolish mindset. Residency will prepare you best for your chosen specialty. You'll be at a disadvantage when it comes to applying for residency if you do worse on boards because of a bad curriculum, less time to master the material, etc.

The low pass rates are definitely concerning, especially with the residency merger. If you fail your boards the first time around you might lose your spot to an IMG that didn't... As to being "prepared for a life in healthcare", I think that's kind of a foolish mindset. Residency will prepare you best for your chosen specialty. You'll be at a disadvantage when it comes to applying for residency if you do worse on boards because of a bad curriculum, less time to master the material, etc.
I’m saying “the prepared for a life in healthcare” from the prospective of a PT who’s in management and the work is always there because of documentation requirements, and constantly changing insurance, federal and state regulations. I never feel caught up and feel similar to a student constantly cramming for a test. I definitely agree with you with regard to the clinical stuff and residency being what prepares you the most.

Right, and I’d feel better about this situation if the faculty or administrators actually acknowledged it on interview day—if they said, “hey, we’ve got some stuff to try to work on as a new school, and here’s our plan.” But there was nothing like that. I’ve wondered if they’re just in denial of the fact that their board passage rates are some of the lowest among all the DO schools in the country.

And I have trouble believing that it’s a coincidence that the board scores are low at both the Harlem campus and the Middletown campus. They have an entire curriculum in common, and to my mind, that seems to be the culprit.

I’m grateful to have been accepted to med school, and Touro-Middletown has some really great qualities that appeal to me... but this is something that’s truly disturbing. Board scores are king, and board passage is truly a necessity.