2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Harlem Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any averages on how long after submitting until you hear about interviews? Do they do them just on a rolling basis?
I’m a current OMS I at Middletown and I sent my secondary in mid August and got an II in early September. There isn’t a huge gap between their secondaries and II. They accept a large percentage of students from early interviews (easily 60-70%). I spoke to the admissions director a few weeks ago and he basically said they know who they want from the secondaries but do get surprised sometimes about how some interviewees were not at all what they were on their app.

I’ll be happy to answer any questions you guys have. I was really skeptical about this school because of the hate Touro NY ( im guessing it applies more towards Harlem but idk) has but I’ve really ended up liking this school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m a current OMS I at Middletown and I sent my secondary in mid August and got an II in early September. There isn’t a huge gap between their secondaries and II. They accept a large percentage of students from early interviews (easily 60-70%). I spoke to the admissions director a few weeks ago and he basically said they know who they want from the secondaries but do get surprised sometimes about how some interviewees were not at all what they were on their app.

I’ll be happy to answer any questions you guys have. I was really skeptical about this school because of the hate Touro NY ( im guessing it applies more towards Harlem but idk) has but I’ve really ended up liking this school.

Our stats are super similar, in fact I remember stalking your profile on the underdog thread last year while studying for the mcat (I thought you went to ARCOM lol). I submitted my app in August as well—hoping to get some love from this school.

I applied to both Harlem and Middletown with no preference marked on my secondary, is that what you did as well?

I’d be okay with going to either but I’m worried because of all the hate Harlem gets.

Last edited:

Would you happen to know how much the deposit is to hold a seat as well as the amount of time we have to submit it?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's wrong with the Harlem campus???

Would you happen to know how much the deposit is to hold a seat as well as the amount of time we have to submit it?
You have two weeks after an acceptance to pay a 2k deposit. Then you have until May to pay a 1k deposit. Atleast that’s how it was for me last year.

Reactions: 1 user
What's wrong with the Harlem campus???
From my experience at Middletown, I haven’t heard anything bad about the Harlem campus. From sdn, the complaints are about the building (everyone says it looks rundown), the low COMLEX 2 scores, and the overaccepting debacle they got themselves into a few years back.

Last edited:
Our stats are super similar, in fact I remember stalking your profile on the underdog thread last year while studying for the mcat (I thought you went to ARCOM lol). I submitted my app in August as well—hoping to get some love from this school.

I applied to both Harlem and Middletown with no preference marked on my secondary, is that what you did as well?

I’d be okay with going to either but I’m worried because of all the hate Harlem gets.
I also checked both under preference. I really have no idea what they look for in candidates. They don’t really seem to be big on the “we want our students to practice in this state” mentality or even primary care. If anything, they are big on OMM but I didn’t have any experience with it when applying so who knows if that helps. Really wish I could give you advice on what they look for in applicants. The preclinical dean is really big on data driven research on COMLEX pass rates so maybe they focus more on MCAT than GPA. During orientation the preclinal dean said undergrad gpa has very little correlation with COMLEX 1 scores and pass rate.

As for the Harlem hate here, it all started with the overacceptance from a few years ago that made them look really shady. The Middletown campus faculty doesn’t really mention anything about the Harlem campus so I can’t really say anything good about that campus. Overall, the Middletown campus is great and I really can’t complain about anything other than the high secondary cost lol.

When do they start sending out II?
The first interview of last year was 9/11/17 on a Monday. I got my II on 9/1/17, interviewed 9/18/17 and received an acceptance on 10/18/17. They are closed for Jewish holidays which are coming up so I’m surprised that they have not sent out invites already.

Reactions: 1 users
The first interview of last year was 9/11/17 on a Monday. I got my II on 9/1/17, interviewed 9/18/17 and received an acceptance on 10/18/17. They are closed for Jewish holidays which are coming up so I’m surprised that they have not sent out invites already.
Yeah, I'm Jewish and would love to celebrate the Jewish new year on sunday knowing i have an II haha

Yeah, I'm Jewish and would love to celebrate the Jewish new year on sunday knowing i have an II haha
Make sure to wear a Yamaka if you get an interview. You’ll definetly get bonus points for that! If I see the admissions dean around campus I’ll ask him when they expect to send out interview invites. My guess would be today or tomorrow since the office is closed Monday and Tuesday.

Make sure to wear a Yamaka if you get an interview. You’ll definetly get bonus points for that! If I see the admissions dean around campus I’ll ask him when they expect to send out interview invites. My guess would be today or tomorrow since the office is closed Monday and Tuesday.
I'm a girl, so no yamaka, but i'll wear my star of david necklace :p haha

and thanks!! :)

Anyone hear back from Harlem yet? Saw someone get an II to Middletown today!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda guessing this school does silent rejections? Haven't received a secondary yet lol

How would you say student morale is like? Are you guys happy? Or just eh about the school. I have one friend who graduated and said he was miserable throughout. Felt like he was in isolation

How would you say student morale is like? Are you guys happy? Or just eh about the school. I have one friend who graduated and said he was miserable throughout. Felt like he was in isolation
I can’t speak for Harlem but everyone at Middletown seems to be pretty happy there. Some students don’t like the flipped classroom (I love it) but that’s really it. Haven’t heard any complaints about the professors. I don’t live on campus so I can’t say if the dorms are any good.

I can’t speak for Harlem but everyone at Middletown seems to be pretty happy there. Some students don’t like the flipped classroom (I love it) but that’s really it. Haven’t heard any complaints about the professors. I don’t live on campus so I can’t say if the dorms are any good.

what exactly is a flipped classroom? Does the Harlem campus also do flipped classroom?

what exactly is a flipped classroom? Does the Harlem campus also do flipped classroom?
At Middletown, all the lectures are recorded and posted online. You watch the lectures at home (some people just choose to study the book or read the PowerPoint notes from the lecture). Each class has a “clicker session” for an hour each week where they basically review the material from that weeks online lecture. You still have to go to labs, but as far as on campus schedule, it’s pretty much 8am-5pm Tuesday-Thursday. There are a few people that don’t like it but most people (myself included) love it. Harlem and Middletown have the same curriculum/exams and they are both flipped classroom.

Did they send a complete email when everything was received?

I got a “Supplemental Application Received” email that said I was complete and no further action needed on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At Middletown, all the lectures are recorded and posted online. You watch the lectures at home (some people just choose to study the book or read the PowerPoint notes from the lecture). Each class has a “clicker session” for an hour each week where they basically review the material from that weeks online lecture. You still have to go to labs, but as far as on campus schedule, it’s pretty much 8am-5pm Tuesday-Thursday. There are a few people that don’t like it but most people (myself included) love it. Harlem and Middletown have the same curriculum/exams and they are both flipped classroom.

actually that sounds good to me. The clicker sessions seem a little unnecessary though? But still better than mandatory lectures.

I'm stressing! I put Harlem as my preference, no II yet. Anyone get one for harlem?

actually that sounds good to me. The clicker sessions seem a little unnecessary though? But still better than mandatory lectures.
Well the clicker sessions aren’t technically mandatory but those questions account for 10% of your grade. Idk about other people in my class, but the clicker sessions really help solidify the info from the lectures.

Hey everyone. For the supplemental application, the top of the form that we have to fill out states "
he e-application will have a section requesting names for your recommenders – just add the names, list as being delivered offline, save and proceed."

I can't seem to find this section they mention lol

II to Harlem today.

Reactions: 1 users
Well the clicker sessions aren’t technically mandatory but those questions account for 10% of your grade. Idk about other people in my class, but the clicker sessions really help solidify the info from the lectures.

what is the interview format like?

sorry to bother you again, but why do some people not like the flipped classroom?

elective options for third year?

Last edited:
sorry to bother you again, but why do some people not like the flipped classroom?

elective options for third year?
They think it’s a lot of wasted time watching the lectures so those students just study from the book and the lecture PowerPoints. Not sure about third year options I’ll let you know when I get there lol

II received 9/17, secondary complete Aug. 23.

Hey everyone! I received my secondary for this school, and was excited, but ive been reading that the secondary fee is 200? Thats ridiculous. I thought 100 for Touro cali was ludicrous. So I wanted to ask, should I even bother finishing this secondary? I'm OOS, 505 MCAT, 3.4cGPA. Should I just save my money and apply to like 2 more schools for the same price?

Hey everyone! I received my secondary for this school, and was excited, but ive been reading that the secondary fee is 200? Thats ridiculous. I thought 100 for Touro cali was ludicrous. So I wanted to ask, should I even bother finishing this secondary? I'm OOS, 505 MCAT, 3.4cGPA. Should I just save my money and apply to like 2 more schools for the same price?[/QUOII yesterday We have very similar stats and I’m OOS too.

II yesterday and we have almost identical stats. I’d say if you truly love the school, do it!

Hey everyone! I received my secondary for this school, and was excited, but ive been reading that the secondary fee is 200? Thats ridiculous. I thought 100 for Touro cali was ludicrous. So I wanted to ask, should I even bother finishing this secondary? I'm OOS, 505 MCAT, 3.4cGPA. Should I just save my money and apply to like 2 more schools for the same price?
I’m a current oms1 at Middletown. I applied with a 3.1, 3.4 and 505. Got an II within a week or two.

Reactions: 2 users
Received secondary recently. Will they review the secondary and possibly invite for interview if I haven't completed the CASPer test yet?