2023-2024 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Middletown Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gotten a secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
so they don't send secondaries till you take the Casper or till they receive the Casper scores?
Do you mind sharing the secondary question?

there is a lack of clarification on literally all details. do we still need to interview? My casper is not even out yet? greatly stressed...
what happens if you decline?

"Good day,

Please disregard previous correspondence for our 22-23 waitlisted candidates. Thank you."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys i got secondaries fro two separate touro locations and im confused, do we need to make two separate accounts with different emails for each? Thanks!

Hi everyone, I'm a current OMS I here and would be happy to answer any questions you guys may have :) feel free to reply or DM me.

Hi everyone, I'm a current OMS I here and would be happy to answer any questions you guys may have :) feel free to reply or DM me.
Hi! Are you at the Middletown campus? If so, why did you choose it? I am debating Harlem v Middletown... How do clinical resources and research opportunities differ between the two?

Hi! Are you at the Middletown campus? If so, why did you choose it? I am debating Harlem v Middletown... How do clinical resources and research opportunities differ between the two?
For the most part, I chose Middletown for the lower cost of living. I also did not want to live in a large city because I'm used to suburban life. Academically, the resources are shared. The recorded lectures are the same across all 3 locations and the curriculum is also the same. The only difference would be the professors who teach the in-person interactive sessions, which are pretty standardized too so you're really not at an advantage or disadvantage compared to the other locations. Also, the student representatives of each class share resources and exam reviews with Harlem and Montana, and they share their resources with us, so again, not much of a difference.

Harlem does have a greater variety of rotation sites for your clinical years, though. If you go to Middletown, you can swap sites with someone at Harlem, but that means someone at Harlem wants to go to a Middletown site (which are mainly in the Hudson Valley or upstate NY). There aren't many clinical oppportunities during the preclinical years but there will be a community OMM clinic that opens up in the Fall if that is something you'd be interested in. If you want to shadow a physician, there's an elective for that but you have to find someone to shadow on your own. On the other hand, there is no shortage of volunteering/community service!

I can't speak to Harlem's research opportunities, but if you want to do wet lab research, Middletown is pretty great with that. Many of us 1st years haven't started doing research yet but our upperclassmen have said that we can reach out to a faculty member here to ask about any projects, or to propose a project of your own. There is also a meeting/networking opportunity in early September for the students to speak to the faculty and become familiar with their current projects.

Reactions: 1 users
For the most part, I chose Middletown for the lower cost of living. I also did not want to live in a large city because I'm used to suburban life. Academically, the resources are shared. The recorded lectures are the same across all 3 locations and the curriculum is also the same. The only difference would be the professors who teach the in-person interactive sessions, which are pretty standardized too so you're really not at an advantage or disadvantage compared to the other locations. Also, the student representatives of each class share resources and exam reviews with Harlem and Montana, and they share their resources with us, so again, not much of a difference.

Harlem does have a greater variety of rotation sites for your clinical years, though. If you go to Middletown, you can swap sites with someone at Harlem, but that means someone at Harlem wants to go to a Middletown site (which are mainly in the Hudson Valley or upstate NY). There aren't many clinical oppportunities during the preclinical years but there will be a community OMM clinic that opens up in the Fall if that is something you'd be interested in. If you want to shadow a physician, there's an elective for that but you have to find someone to shadow on your own. On the other hand, there is no shortage of volunteering/community service!

I can't speak to Harlem's research opportunities, but if you want to do wet lab research, Middletown is pretty great with that. Many of us 1st years haven't started doing research yet but our upperclassmen have said that we can reach out to a faculty member here to ask about any projects, or to propose a project of your own. There is also a meeting/networking opportunity in early September for the students to speak to the faculty and become familiar with their current projects.
Thank you so much!

Has anyone interviewed yet? If so, how was the experience?

Has anyone interviewed yet? If so, how was the experience?
Intro session at 8:30am was cool, interview was 2 faculty, lasted about 20 minutes! Info sessions 12-4 (typical admissions/curriculum/etc.) overall good impressions!!

Update: finished right around 4, info sessions were nice, students had a generally good view of the school

Last edited:
Hey how long did it take for you guys to be complete? I submitted a month ago and it’s been 2 weeks since I received the email about my secondary e-application submission notification.

Could a current student help answer this? Thank you :)

I have a couple questions:
1. Are preclinical and clinical years both P/F?
2. Are clinical rotations based on how you do from preclinical years or is it lottery?
3. How are the professors?
4. How is the prep for boards?
5. How long is dedicated time to study for boards?
6. What is the exam schedule like?
7. What is the remediation policy? Is it only one retake and if you fail another course, you repeat or are you dismissed?
8. Is the student environment competitive or chill?
9. What's your favorite thing about the Middletown campus?
10. Are you happy?

Could a current student help answer this? Thank you :)

I have a couple questions:
1. Are preclinical and clinical years both P/F?
2. Are clinical rotations based on how you do from preclinical years or is it lottery?
3. How are the professors?
4. How is the prep for boards?
5. How long is dedicated time to study for boards?
6. What is the exam schedule like?
7. What is the remediation policy? Is it only one retake and if you fail another course, you repeat or are you dismissed?
8. Is the student environment competitive or chill?
9. What's your favorite thing about the Middletown campus?
10. Are you happy?
1. Currently, preclinical years are ABC graded. Anything below a C (70%) is a U (unsatisfactory, aka failing). Clinical years are graded as HP, P, and U. The curriculum for 1st year is changing next year to systems based but I think they are keeping this grading system.
2. Lottery
3. Professors are generally great. They are all very supportive and make themselves available to help you out. Some just aren't great at teaching, which is where 3rd party resources can fill in the gaps.
4. Not sure yet because I'm only OMS I.
5. See above.
6. It's pretty much weekly exams for 1st year, but again, this will change next year. It likely will turn into monthly exams after each module next year.
7. It is one retake at the end of the academic year that has to be approved first by the Dean. Failing remediation isn't immediate dismissal, but the recommendation to dismiss will be brought to the Dean, who will make the final decision. Failing 3+ classes in a preclinical year is also a dismissal, I believe. The school does a lot to prevent this, though. You need to meet with your academic advisor and, usually, with the course professor if you fail an exam. They try to help you out to avoid remediation.
8. Very chill. You will run into gunners but most of my classmates help each other out.
9. It's hard to name one favorite thing lol for people coming from large cities, Middletown is boring. But there are also plenty of hiking trails, camping grounds, nice restaurants/breweries/orchards, and we're close to Woodbury Commons if you want to shop. You do need to drive everywhere but it is also apparent that Middletown is becoming more diverse and built-up.
10. For the most part, yes. I don't have any other medical schools to compare Touro to but I have accepted many of the drawbacks (i.e., grading, mandatory attendance for most classes, small "campus") and will just make the best of it. Also, there is a close-knit community here and people have been very inclusive.

How long did it take yall to be complete lol? It's been like 6 week mark for me at this point since submission. I am instate.

How long did it take yall to be complete lol? It's been like 6 week mark for me at this point since submission. I am instate.
My secondary was submitted on September 7th and complete on September 14th. II Oct 2. I'm actually shocked with how quick that happened.

My secondary was submitted on September 7th and complete on September 14th. II Oct 2. I'm actually shocked with how quick that happened.
Oh wow lmao do you think I should reach out at this point? Anyone else stuck in processing as well but submitted a few weeks ago?

Any 9/18 interviewers get a decision yet? Ik the email said 4-6 weeks but I remember the dean saying something about it being sooner bc we were the first cohort?

Any 9/18 interviewers get a decision yet? Ik the email said 4-6 weeks but I remember the dean saying something about it being sooner bc we were the first cohort?

Have not heard anything yet but am hoping the same thing! I have a deposit for another school due early next week and was hoping to hear back from Touro because if im accepted i won’t pay it!