2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Harlem Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received secondary recently. Will they review the secondary and possibly invite for interview if I haven't completed the CASPer test yet?

I believe CASPer is required.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the earliest interview date available? 10/17 was the earliest one that was offered to me, but a mid-week interview date was not ideal due to work since I'm coming from the West Coast.

I'm interviewing on 10/22. :)

When are other people interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone getting interviews! Has anyone gotten an interview from the Harlem campus yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Really hoping for a Harlem interview...is there a way to know if my casper/secondary is in???? i'm like second guessing myself bc i sent in my secondary agesssss ago and still no word on II?!

Really hoping for a Harlem interview...is there a way to know if my casper/secondary is in???? i'm like second guessing myself bc i sent in my secondary agesssss ago and still no word on II?!

Have you gotten a complete email? You could try emailing them about the status of your application, they are pretty responsive

People that received interviews...Mind sharing stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any insights on the panel interview for Harlem campus ??

For those that interviewed at Harlem, what was it like? Was it a panel or just one person? Roughly how long was the actual interview and was it open or closed file?

Thanks!

I am a current OMS I at the Harlem campus so I would be happy to answer this!

My interview was with 2 professors, open file. My background, coursework and premedical experiences were definitely brought up, questioned and discussed in the interview.

The interview day is quite long (maybe 6 hours total), but the interview itself is only a short part of that. I was nervous enough to have had difficulty keeping track of the time passed, but I believe my interview was about 10-12 minutes long. I was horrified immediately afterward, imagining an interview that short spoke volumes of what they thought of me, but hey look at me now! The interview sits in the middle of a day in which you will meet many Deans, administrators, students. As part of the day you will have breakfast and lunch provided and receive a tour of the school.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in your application!

Reactions: 4 users
Can any current student answer this: Does anyone know the % of students who matched ACGME residencies vs. matching AOA residencies?

Hi fellow applicants! I inadvertently submitted 6 letters of recommendation through AACOMAS instead of 3 as required by Touro. Should I email the admissions to let them know which three letters that I prefer them to take?

Has everyone who has gotten an interview submitted before October?

Reactions: 1 users
So... I never got a secondary... I guess its over? lol

I have 2 MD IIs so I'm not a terrible applicant. I also have strong connections to NYC and Harlem (URM as well).

Should I send an email/letter of interest or just accept the R?

Thanks.

So... I never got a secondary... I guess its over? lol

I have 2 MD IIs so I'm not a terrible applicant. I also have strong connections to NYC and Harlem (URM as well).

Should I send an email/letter of interest or just accept the R?

Thanks.

I would contact admissions. It doesn’t hurt to ask. Did you check your spam?

I canceled my interview! I hope it goes to someone who wants it. Good luck everyone!

Wednesday will be the 4th week for those that interviewed 10/17

Received secondary recently. Will they review the secondary and possibly invite for interview if I haven't completed the CASPer test yet?

Hi What is CASPer Test and where can i find this test?

Are there any current students who can comment/put me at ease?

I have 2 main concerns:

1. I've heard talk of Touro "losing" rotation sites - what is up with this? It also seems multiple rotation sites are outside NYC/Brooklyn. What's the approximate ratio of students rotating in/outside of the city? Do the students rotating outside the city need a car?

2. I know it's well known that Touro's administration has not always been... top notch. I'm fine with compromises assuming that the school is otherwise stable and will prepare me for residency, etc. But I had a weird interaction on my interview day with someone in the administration where they were basically super rude to me for no discernable reason. Every school I've ever been to has had random students and faculty trip over themselves to welcome interview applicants - offering help/to answer questions, etc. It gives me serious doubts about Touro if staff feel comfortable berating random interviewee's.

I really want to love Touro and there are several qualities about it that I really like, but I have other options.

Are there any current students who can comment/put me at ease?

I have 2 main concerns:

1. I've heard talk of Touro "losing" rotation sites - what is up with this? It also seems multiple rotation sites are outside NYC/Brooklyn. What's the approximate ratio of students rotating in/outside of the city? Do the students rotating outside the city need a car?

2. I know it's well known that Touro's administration has not always been... top notch. I'm fine with compromises assuming that the school is otherwise stable and will prepare me for residency, etc. But I had a weird interaction on my interview day with someone in the administration where they were basically super rude to me for no discernable reason. Every school I've ever been to has had random students and faculty trip over themselves to welcome interview applicants - offering help/to answer questions, etc. It gives me serious doubts about Touro if staff feel comfortable berating random interviewee's.

I really want to love Touro and there are several qualities about it that I really like, but I have other options.

Don’t force yourself to love a school if you aren’t legit feeling it. Especially if you have other options. I got an interview invite and turned it down after I found out that the Harlem campus was “office space”, as described by others, the housing is expensive as heck, and from what I read it’s almost independent study. I would never pay $50k a year to do independent study. I need guidance and assurance that I’m learning the right way, so that I don’t get out into the real world doing things incorrectly.

This is my experience with the Harlem campus and the feedback I’ve gotten from it. I’m not a student so I could be wrong about somethings. However, I had other options too, so I decided to withdraw my application from here.

I totally get your point. I think it all does come down to personal fit. I just think that this school does have the potential to be a great fit for me.

The campus is just as nice as my current university and I'd rather the typical DO tuition than raising it so they can have nice real estate in NYC. I really love the independent study aspect because lectures aren't efficient for me. Per housing costs, it's NYC. I don't love the housing costs, but I do love the city, so I'd have to accept the housing costs.

I totally get your point. I think it all does come down to personal fit. I just think that this school does have the potential to be a great fit for me.

The campus is just as nice as my current university and I'd rather the typical DO tuition than raising it so they can have nice real estate in NYC. I really love the independent study aspect because lectures aren't efficient for me. Per housing costs, it's NYC. I don't love the housing costs, but I do love the city, so I'd have to accept the housing costs.

Sounds like this is potentially the school for you! I wish you the best of luck. I’m from Illinois so I can’t relate to the NYC prices haha!

Does anyone know where touro harlem ranks with other DO schools?

Also, is there parking available for interview day?