2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of us out-of-state (including myself), can any current students or in-staters comment on whether there are some apartments which come furnished that are either downtown or close to the school?

For those of us out-of-state (including myself), can any current students or in-staters comment on whether there are some apartments which come furnished that are either downtown or close to the school?
Haven't come across anything furnished but there is plenty of options. Just use the normal apartment searching its super easy to get around Des Moines. Try using the classified ads on pulse I know some people put their places up there when they go for rotations

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the polo apartments have furnished options. Idk why there aren’t more. My city has tons of furnished options

Anyone interested in starting a PM group for pros/cons of schools? Made an excel spreadsheet comparing some schools and would love to collaborate and get new ideas/perspectives.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid award letter? I finished the checklist a week or so ago and it just says you should receive an email of your award but I’m not sure what kind of time frame to expect with that.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid award letter? I finished the checklist a week or so ago and it just says you should receive an email of your award but I’m not sure what kind of time frame to expect with that.

I don't have mine yet and I have been accepted since October. . . Are there things I should be filling out?? I should really pay more attention to these things.

Does DMU award scholarships/grants or is it strictly loans?

I don't have mine yet and I have been accepted since October. . . Are there things I should be filling out?? I should really pay more attention to these things.

I was told that the financial aid paperwork on Pulse technically doesn't technically have a due date, but it is still good to get it done sooner rather than later. One of the ladies in the financial aid office at DMU told me they don't even start looking at most financial aid applications for incoming med students starting in the fall until June.

I was told that the financial aid paperwork on Pulse technically doesn't technically have a due date, but it is still good to get it done sooner rather than later. One of the ladies in the financial aid office at DMU told me they don't even start looking at most financial aid applications for incoming med students starting in the fall until June.
Got it :) I’ll look into it then!

Anyone on the WL think they’ll send out rankings today?

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished my stuff in February and haven't gotten it. I think it could take until June before we get it.

I am wondering if I can still start my financial aid checklist on pulse even though I am waitlisted at my top school?

I am wondering if I can still start my financial aid checklist on pulse even though I am waitlisted at my top school?

I believe you can, even if you were to pay the tuition it is refundable if I am not mistaken to a certain date minus the deposit.

I will be withdrawing my seat. Best of Luck everyone this is an Amazing school!!

Reactions: 3 users
I know it was posted earlier in the thread, but 2018 match data is now available on the DMU website!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m also withdrawing my seat! Hopefully it contributes to some waitlist movement!

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry to spam this thread, but can any students comment on what the inpatient medicine rotation during 4th year is exactly? Is it just learning to treat admitted patients? I can't seem to find any information anywhere.

When do students have to take level 1 by?
Before starting third year rotations. So usually late July-ish. The only bad part about waiting that long is it takes 6-8 weeks to get your score. If you fail it and you’re out on rotations, they pull you out of them.

Sorry to spam this thread, but can any students comment on what the inpatient medicine rotation during 4th year is exactly? Is it just learning to treat admitted patients? I can't seem to find any information anywhere.

It’s a graduation requirement. All the inpatient part means is that it has to be a rotation with >50% inpatient exposure, there’s a long list of things that qualify including cardiology, gastroenterology, etc. This comes about mostly because some people end up with an outpatient rotation for their 3rd year IM.

I'm not sure how prevalent they are but they def exist. I'm renting a fully furnished place (all I had to bring / buy were TVs and kitchenware) that's really close to campus (prob 5 min walk). I found it through DMUs classifieds page on pulse.

Does anyone know the tentative date for the white coat ceremony?

Does anyone know the tentative date for the white coat ceremony?

I called them and asked. They said they have not decided yet whether it will be in September of our first year or with our rites of passage ceremony at the end of our second year.

Last edited:
I called them and asked. They said they have not decided yet whether it will be in September of our first year or with our rites of passage ceremony at the end of our second year.

FWIW the Fb page says Sept.

Before starting third year rotations. So usually late July-ish. The only bad part about waiting that long is it takes 6-8 weeks to get your score. If you fail it and you’re out on rotations, they pull you out of them.

It’s a graduation requirement. All the inpatient part means is that it has to be a rotation with >50% inpatient exposure, there’s a long list of things that qualify including cardiology, gastroenterology, etc. This comes about mostly because some people end up with an outpatient rotation for their 3rd year IM.
What things can qualify for the community medicine rotation? Can you do cardiology for that or would it be a general IM?

What things can qualify for the community medicine rotation? Can you do cardiology for that or would it be a general IM?

Community medicine is a whole different beast. That rotstion is usually done at something like a youth shelter for myself, STD clinics, prison health facilities, something along those lines. Its weird what does and doesnt qualify, but all international rotstions count as a community med rotation.

Cardiology or general IM will fit the inpatient as long as there is >50% inpatient exposure.

Community medicine is a whole different beast. That rotstion is usually done at something like a youth shelter for myself, STD clinics, prison health facilities, something along those lines. Its weird what does and doesnt qualify, but all international rotstions count as a community med rotation.

Cardiology or general IM will fit the inpatient as long as there is >50% inpatient exposure.
Can all students do an international rotation or are there certain requirements you need to meet? Are the international rotations a lottery system or do higher ranked students get priority?

Can all students do an international rotation or are there certain requirements you need to meet? Are the international rotations a lottery system or do higher ranked students get priority?

Not all students, there arent enough spots but i know a significant amount that have this year. Some have requirements that you speak spanish. Its an application process but no formal ranking system and you just have to be in good academic standing when you apply.

Probably been covered or was discussed on interview day but I can’t remember... what is the testing schedule like over the first 2 years? I seem to remember biweekly exams or something but I can’t remember exactly.

Probably been covered or was discussed on interview day but I can’t remember... what is the testing schedule like over the first 2 years? I seem to remember biweekly exams or something but I can’t remember exactly.

First semester, I don't think we had any tests during the first month of classes. After that we probably averaged 1 per week except for the month of October which was basically all 2 per week.

Second semester, has mostly been 2 per week with the occasional one per week and maybe 1 or 2 weeks with 3 tests. I wouldn't stress too much about it, overall the profs / DMU try to be mindful about other classes and don't often schedule two difficult tests in the same week. Our class had some concerns about a few test dates during the second semester and the administration was pretty quick to move things around.

Edit: I can't really speak about 2nd year though, haven't really asked much about it yet. Some say the second semester of the first year is the most difficult, others have said second year can be just as bad. No clue who's right.

It seems to change slightly year to year, but for our class it was roughly 25 exams last fall and 37 this semester. This includes the simulated patient encounters and some stuff that I don't really consider "exams" per se. You start out at a little slower pace with a couple/few weeks before the first exam, then you'll start having one a week and occasionally two a week. Second semester so far we've had two exams a week pretty consistently with probably 4 or 5 weeks of one exam, and we've had maybe one week with no exams. If you have an unhealthy interest in the exam schedule, I can PM you the actual schedules.

It seems to change slightly year to year, but for our class it was roughly 25 exams last fall and 37 this semester. This includes the simulated patient encounters and some stuff that I don't really consider "exams" per se. You start out at a little slower pace with a couple/few weeks before the first exam, then you'll start having one a week and occasionally two a week. Second semester so far we've had two exams a week pretty consistently with probably 4 or 5 weeks of one exam, and we've had maybe one week with no exams. If you have an unhealthy interest in the exam schedule, I can PM you the actual schedules.

First semester, I don't think we had any tests during the first month of classes. After that we probably averaged 1 per week except for the month of October which was basically all 2 per week.

Second semester, has mostly been 2 per week with the occasional one per week and maybe 1 or 2 weeks with 3 tests. I wouldn't stress too much about it, overall the profs / DMU try to be mindful about other classes and don't often schedule two difficult tests in the same week. Our class had some concerns about a few test dates during the second semester and the administration was pretty quick to move things around.

Edit: I can't really speak about 2nd year though, haven't really asked much about it yet. Some say the second semester of the first year is the most difficult, others have said second year can be just as bad. No clue who's right.

Are the exam questions in Step 1 style format?

Are the exam questions in Step 1 style format?

It depends on the class, really. Some of our professors are question writers for USMLE/COMLEX, and they will frequently write questions in step 1 format. I would say it's probably something like 60/40 boards style to non-boards style. There's not a ton of first order that I've noticed, except for maybe one or two classes. The real meat and potatoes classes like biochem, phys, micro and path are the ones I've noticed being close to board material I've seen. Then again, I haven't done many boards questions...so yea, take that for what it's worth.

Appreciate the info. I am actually a fan of frequent exams from a volume and long term retention standpoint so that sounds great. This additional $500 deposit due this week I am certainly not a fan of.

Appreciate the info. I am actually a fan of frequent exams from a volume and long term retention standpoint so that sounds great. This additional $500 deposit due this week I am certainly not a fan of.
If you are then you definitely need to keep up with everything. Because it moves fast...at times its more of a memorize and purge thing from what I've noticed. Don't ever fall behind but thats a lot easier said than done

2nd year is less testing, but more material per exam. For example you may have 20 lectures covered in one week and an exam that next Monday. They try to have at least one day's break from that course's material prior to an exam, but you have multiple courses going at once and sometimes you don't get that extra day. 2nd year also involves a lot of labs and required things based on your last name letter.

I will say that DMU is great about students fighting to make things better for the classes below them. My class fought hard to change the testing schedule for 2nd semester of 1st year (we routinely had 3 exams/practicals per week), and now this year's 1st years are benefitting. The classes above mine fought hard for an extra vacation month (so 2 total) during 4th year, and now my class will benefit.

Barely missed the online talk with DO students. Did anyone attend and get any of these questions answered by chance?
1. Are lectures mandatory with the exception of OMM?

2. How much class time is there per week? How much of this class time is for OMM labs? Anatomy labs?

3. How much time will the c/o 2022 receive for dedicated level 1/step 1 study time?

Barely missed the online talk with DO students. Did anyone attend and get any of these questions answered by chance?
1. Are lectures mandatory with the exception of OMM?

2. How much class time is there per week? How much of this class time is for OMM labs? Anatomy labs?

3. How much time will the c/o 2022 receive for dedicated level 1/step 1 study time?

Lectures are not mandatory (except for a few random ones), OMM is mandatory

Usually lectures 8am-noon every day (5o min each) with labs scattered in the afternoons. Anatomy is 3 hours 1-2x a week (most people stay for about 2.5 hours). OMM is 1.5 hours (rarely go full time) usually once sometimes twice a week.

Not sure about dedicated, 1) because I'm an MS1 and 2) because it seems to change a bit. but I've heard our students do great on boards so I dont think it should be an issue regardless

Again probably been covered so excuse my ignorance. Are lectures recorded?
yeah we've covered most of the generic first year questions in here haha but I mean I was in the same place last year chomping at the bit. Yeah they are and are usually up 15 min or so after lecture ends

Again probably been covered so excuse my ignorance. Are lectures recorded?

Lectures are recorded 99% of the time. The other 1% is due to technical issues and even then 99% of those times they're re-recorded in an office or last year's lecture is posted instead. I can't think of a time that a lecture was completely unavailable.

Lectures are recorded 99% of the time. The other 1% is due to technical issues and even then 99% of those times they're re-recorded in an office or last year's lecture is posted instead. I can't think of a time that a lecture was completely unavailable.
If they went down I'd be done for. Today was the first time I left my house in two days for OMM lecture haha

Lectures are not mandatory (except for a few random ones), OMM is mandatory

Usually lectures 8am-noon every day (5o min each) with labs scattered in the afternoons. Anatomy is 3 hours 1-2x a week (most people stay for about 2.5 hours). OMM is 1.5 hours (rarely go full time) usually once sometimes twice a week.

Not sure about dedicated, 1) because I'm an MS1 and 2) because it seems to change a bit. but I've heard our students do great on boards so I dont think it should be an issue regardless
Would you say approximately 7 hours per day of class time (lectures and labs) is accurate?

Would you say approximately 7 hours per day of class time (lectures and labs) is accurate?
3/5 days its 4 hours max. Then sometimes you have labs that can make it 7. Definitely not 7 hours every day. Most days 4-5