2017-2018 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, really? I should give them a call and try to reschedule, then, since I really can't make the date I had to pick.
Were you able to reschedule your interview? Wondering whether I should call to see if there is any open spot earlier.

Members don't see this ad.

Were you able to reschedule your interview? Wondering whether I should call to see if there is any open spot earlier.
I was! They’ll want you to have a pretty good reason to do it—I couldn’t actually attend any of the dates that were listed on my original calendar, so they gave me a few options of dates that were open November through December. It’ll totally depend on your need and on their availability, I think, since they may be both filling dates and opening new ones, dependent upon their interviewers’ schedules.

I was! They’ll want you to have a pretty good reason to do it—I couldn’t actually attend any of the dates that were listed on my original calendar, so they gave me a few options of dates that were open November through December. It’ll totally depend on your need and on their availability, I think, since they may be both filling dates and opening new ones, dependent upon their interviewers’ schedules.
Thank you very much for the information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone tried an in the area email with Wash U? or heard how they view them?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, received an II here just yesterday. Super excited and I wanted to ask if you guys had any tips for WashU interview??

My interviews were really conversational (most interviews at top schools have been). Also, I had three interviews (I think they said ~30% will have three whereas the majority will have two); two closed file, one open. Lunch was at a restaurant, which was really nice of them.

My interviews were really conversational (most interviews at top schools have been). Also, I had three interviews (I think they said ~30% will have three whereas the majority will have two); two closed file, one open. Lunch was at a restaurant, which was really nice of them.
When did you interview? On my interview day, everyone had 3 interviews (2 closed, 1 open).

When did you interview? On my interview day, everyone had 3 interviews (2 closed, 1 open).
I think they are giving 3 interviews to the early interviewees so that they can analyze if the student interviewers correlates well to the faculty interview. I imagine that they're trying to scale down future interviews to possibly only 1 faculty.

They told our cohort at the end of the day that assignment to three interviews is random

Anxiety is coming soon! I think they said first decisions come out in November at my interview date!

Reactions: 2 users
Also current med student here.
Random tips:
*Go to second look if you have a chance! They will treat you VERY well. Open bar!
*DO NOT worry about giving the /right/ answers at your interviews. Take a xan or a shot of your favorite rum with the applicant breakfast. Interviews are to make sure you're relatively chill, friendly, and excited about medicine.
*Take the metrolink from the airport. Way cheaper than an uber and just about as fast.
*Really FOCUS on Why Wash U / Why St Louis. As already mentioned, they have problems with yield, so they only will accept people who show a lot of interest. If you have family in the area-big boost. If you're a midwesterner- big boost. If you have friends/acquaintances who are med students here (not students on the undergrad/non-medical campus) - big boost. If you know the names of some researchers who are working on things in your demonstrated area of interest- big boost. If you're prepared and excited to talk about socioeconomic issues and healthcare - especially in reference to the protests/"riots" (as the news calls them) that st louis is famous for in recent years - big boost.

RE: Yield. I think people are scared away by St Louis. It definitely has a lot of issues in some parts of the city, but I couldn't imagine a better place to study for someone interested in health disparities. Unlike for manhattan, chicago, and california schools, wustl is THE name in town. You're not easily lost in the crowd of the city. People are actually friendly here, unlike other big cities. If you get in and are worried about liking St Louis, I would really consider coming down for a weekend and exploring places outside the central west end. Go to olive street, cherokee street, little bosnia, west county, downtown etc. It's extremely diverse and there's never an end to the opportunities for work and play around here.

Also the administration seems to downplay the new dorms/gym theyre building for the upcoming class. They look like theyre off the HOOK.
This really puts things in perspective, appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview coming up soon at SLU and have to pay $700 to fly into St. Louis. I was wondering if it would be worth asking ADCOM if they would be able to let me know the decision on my application sooner? I submitted mid August so I think in terms of review, they must be close to the date? If someone could help me out with this, I would really appreciate it :)

I have an interview coming up soon at SLU and have to pay $700 to fly into St. Louis. I was wondering if it would be worth asking ADCOM if they would be able to let me know the decision on my application sooner? I submitted mid August so I think in terms of review, they must be close to the date? If someone could help me out with this, I would really appreciate it :)

Hey man I don’t think it’s worth it. I tried this at GWU and Georgetown, when I had an II for another East Cost school, and they told me they don’t expedite the review process

Every school reviews apps differently, so your best bet would be to call the admissions office and see if they accept ITA emails. And if they do, just make sure your email is polite and succinct!

My flight was around the same price. Before I interviewed at WashU I emailed SLU asking them, and they never responded to me. I can also attest to Georgetown/GWU. I interviewed at Georgetown and George Washington just said "thanks for letting us know," and then never acted on it.

Anyone know approximately when they make their decisions?

Hey guys, I'll be interviewing at WashU pretty soon. I just had a few questions ... 1) Do you find out who'll be interviewing you? I don't see any names on the portal yet ... 2) How many people/how large is the pizza party/breakfast out of curiosity (are there alot of med students/interviewees??) 3) How important is it to understand ethical scenarios/policy-related things, I get that this is really important for other schools and in general but I'm just wondering if the interview, especially the 20 min one, includes alot of tough specific questions like those? Thank you so much guys for all the tips + info!!!

Hey guys, I'll be interviewing at WashU pretty soon. I just had a few questions ... 1) Do you find out who'll be interviewing you? I don't see any names on the portal yet ... 2) How many people/how large is the pizza party/breakfast out of curiosity (are there alot of med students/interviewees??) 3) How important is it to understand ethical scenarios/policy-related things, I get that this is really important for other schools and in general but I'm just wondering if the interview, especially the 20 min one, includes alot of tough specific questions like those? Thank you so much guys for all the tips + info!!!
You don't see who's interviewing you anymore.
Id say there s about 10 applicants and 10 m1's, depending on the night. Certainly no faculty.
I don't think I was ever asked a policy question in any MD interview, and maybe just a couple light ethical questions. I'm sure this depends heavily on the school and individual interviewer.

FYI somebody was asking about 2nd look dates a while back; it's been confirmed to be April 13th/14th

Does Washu actually emphasize high number stats? Still have not heard anything from here since late July.

Reactions: 1 users
Does Washu actually emphasize high number stats? Still have not heard anything from here since late July.
+1, complete since early august with LM > 76 sooooo no clue. but the cycle hasn't been going the way I thought it would so who knows..

+2, complete late july. Kinda bummed tbh, thought WashU would like me :( From last year's thread it looks like there was even a large number of applicants getting interviews in mid-January so there's still hope! I'm probably gonna send an ITA soon - we'll see if it works

Last edited:
You don't see who's interviewing you anymore.
Id say there s about 10 applicants and 10 m1's, depending on the night. Certainly no faculty.
I don't think I was ever asked a policy question in any MD interview, and maybe just a couple light ethical questions. I'm sure this depends heavily on the school and individual interviewer.
Night with the students is casual right? aka can I wear jeans?

If we mentioned a new job/an anecdote during our interview, should we still submit a formal update letter (with more details) to make sure it will be fully represented in our file? I'm not even sure where to ask if this is appropriate or not haha

If we mentioned a new job/an anecdote during our interview, should we still submit a formal update letter (with more details) to make sure it will be fully represented in our file? I'm not even sure where to ask if this is appropriate or not haha
I actually was curious of this too, so I discussed this with my interviewer at the end of my open file interview. She encouraged me to include such updates as the ones you mentioned in an update letter. I figured it would also be a good idea because you can elaborate more in a letter than in an interview about how your experiences make you a better med school candidate or a better fit at a particular school.

I actually was curious of this too, so I discussed this with my interviewer at the end of my open file interview. She encouraged me to include such updates as the ones you mentioned in an update letter. I figured it would also be a good idea because you can elaborate more in a letter than in an interview about how your experiences make you a better med school candidate or a better fit at a particular school.
Great, thank you!

I know I’m grasping at straws but I’m wondering if this has happened to anyone else: after my interview day, I sent my thank yous and received pretty extensive responses from both of my faculty interviewers. Should I take this to mean anything, or is WashU just really professional and send responses to every interviewee?

I'm pretty sure that's just luck of the draw - those interviewers decided to respond.

That being said, if past years are anything to go by, you may find out tomorrow if it means anything. Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
II a few days ago. Complete early August. Dates were basically all of January. MCAT 516, GPA 4.0

Anyone have an idea when first set of decisions are coming out?

The call was yesterday, and sometime in late September/early October I believe!

Silence here, but not expecting much due to my lower GPA. Giving it a try just in case my MCAT + essay wins me over LOL. Anyway congrats to everyone with IIs and acceptances!

Interviewed here today, just want to say this school blew my socks off and is definitely in my top 2 choices right now. Wow. The interviews were awesome (I had 3) and the way they treat their students is incredible. Food was fantastic too. Probably one of the most friendly and inspiring atmospheres I have ever been in.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed here today, just want to say this school blew my socks off and is definitely in my top 2 choices right now. Wow. The interviews were awesome (I had 3) and the way they treat their students is incredible. Food was fantastic too. Probably one of the most friendly and inspiring atmospheres I have ever been in.
3 interviews? were they with faculty?

When will October-end interviews have decisions released? Probably in December, right?

When will October-end interviews have decisions released? Probably in December, right?

I think it's quite rolling... got a VERY surprise acceptance call from WashU this week after interviewing in November. When I answered the phone I was pretty sure it was a solicitor or something and then I was confused/astonished/at a loss for words when I realized it was from WashU. Hope they excuse my awkwardness on that phone call haha

Reactions: 8 users
Also current med student here.
Random tips:
*Go to second look if you have a chance! They will treat you VERY well. Open bar!
*DO NOT worry about giving the /right/ answers at your interviews. Take a xan or a shot of your favorite rum with the applicant breakfast. Interviews are to make sure you're relatively chill, friendly, and excited about medicine.
*Take the metrolink from the airport. Way cheaper than an uber and just about as fast.
*Really FOCUS on Why Wash U / Why St Louis. As already mentioned, they have problems with yield, so they only will accept people who show a lot of interest. If you have family in the area-big boost. If you're a midwesterner- big boost. If you have friends/acquaintances who are med students here (not students on the undergrad/non-medical campus) - big boost. If you know the names of some researchers who are working on things in your demonstrated area of interest- big boost. If you're prepared and excited to talk about socioeconomic issues and healthcare - especially in reference to the protests/"riots" (as the news calls them) that st louis is famous for in recent years - big boost.

RE: Yield. I think people are scared away by St Louis. It definitely has a lot of issues in some parts of the city, but I couldn't imagine a better place to study for someone interested in health disparities. Unlike for manhattan, chicago, and california schools, wustl is THE name in town. You're not easily lost in the crowd of the city. People are actually friendly here, unlike other big cities. If you get in and are worried about liking St Louis, I would really consider coming down for a weekend and exploring places outside the central west end. Go to olive street, cherokee street, little bosnia, west county, downtown etc. It's extremely diverse and there's never an end to the opportunities for work and play around here.

Also the administration seems to downplay the new dorms/gym theyre building for the upcoming class. They look like theyre off the HOOK.

I'm very much interested in St. Louis, over the summer/Fall semester I visited several times. Really got to know the city, and even know some current med students that I've gotten plenty of good information confirming my interest in attending.

Only issue is my homestate, university, and family technically have no connections to STL. And since this interest in St. Louis is so recent I'm not sure how I can convey to the school pre-II that I would be very likely to matriculate if accepted.

Are they receptive to LOI?
Should I send out a ITA email, when I go visit again in Jan?

Stats wise I match Ok or at least on par with them, LizzyM: 79