2017-2018 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody figured out what the deal is with the grayed out interview dates is?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they give you a confirmation for your room in Olin Hall if you indicate on the travel tab that you need lodging? I saved my preferences, but I have no confirmation...

Anyone know the structure of the interview? how many? one on one? open or closed?

Two faculty interviews, open and closed, and potentially a closed MS4 interview (about half of the applicants got one). All interviews are one-on-one.

Do they give you a confirmation for your room in Olin Hall if you indicate on the travel tab that you need lodging? I saved my preferences, but I have no confirmation...

Nope, just go to the front desk at Olin when you arrive.

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone who has already interviewed here receive more scheduling info before the interview? The interview confirmation email says they will send more info 3 days beforehand but I haven't gotten anything. Mostly asking because the times listed on the portal (7:45am optional breakfast/8:15am check-in) don't match the confirmation email (8:00am optional breakfast/8:30am check-in). I don't want to show up at the wrong time!

Did anyone who has already interviewed here receive more scheduling info before the interview? The interview confirmation email says they will send more info 3 days beforehand but I haven't gotten anything. Mostly asking because the times listed on the portal (7:45am optional breakfast/8:15am check-in) don't match the confirmation email (8:00am optional breakfast/8:30am check-in). I don't want to show up at the wrong time!
7:45am breakfast at Olin Link. Then check-in is at 8:15am at the admissions office. The medical students at the breakfast will take you there so no need to worry where to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all

Just chiming in as a current student here; happy to answer any questions you might have! (And yes, the optional breakfast starts at 7:45am, and we will walk you to the admissions office by 8:15).

Does anyone know what days of the week Wash U interviews its candidates? Any people with an II know the earliest dates still available? Thanks

Does anyone know what days of the week Wash U interviews its candidates? Any people with an II know the earliest dates still available? Thanks
Wash U interviews candidates from Monday - Friday. The earliest date is Mid-December, and there are also spots open in January and February.

Has anybody else had issues with letters being marked as incomplete on the portal? I assigned them through AMCAS, but the portal still says incomplete.

Has anybody else had issues with letters being marked as incomplete on the portal? I assigned them through AMCAS, but the portal still says incomplete.

That happened to me when I applied, and then my status changed from incomplete to complete within the next two weeks. I think they have to manually download them or something, so don't worry about it!

I called awhile back and was told its can be up to 4 weeks to fully have the app submitted with the letter checks, mine were complete about 3 weeks after so no worries

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I applied last cycle and deferred until 2018. Was wondering if any current students know when second look weekend is. I’m doing some scheduling for the spring and want to make sure I don’t miss it!

II today! The only available interview dates were on Fridays in February, though, which will be rough for me. Super excited to see the campus, though!

Reactions: 1 users
So they have essentially given out all their interview spots then if Everything gone till Feb right? Damn :(

Hi all. I applied last cycle and deferred until 2018. Was wondering if any current students know when second look weekend is. I’m doing some scheduling for the spring and want to make sure I don’t miss it!
Why would you go to SLW? You're already committed to attending there...

So they have essentially given out all their interview spots then if Everything gone till Feb right? Damn :(

Considering how they gave out about a 1000 interviews last year for approx. 4000 applicants, it would be very strange if they're already done giving out interviews.

Complete 9/23, II received 10/11! I'm so excited! LizzyM is 80+.

The portal just updated with more interview dates. The first available date was later this month. So it looks like there's still plenty of time! :)

Complete 9/23, II received 10/11! I'm so excited! LizzyM is 80+.

The portal just updated with more interview dates. The first available date was later this month. So it looks like there's still plenty of time! :)
Wait, really? I should give them a call and try to reschedule, then, since I really can't make the date I had to pick.

Do most interviewees stay at Olin? I was looking through last year's thread and saw some negative remarks regarding the residence. But then, hotel's another $150...

Do most interviewees stay at Olin? I was looking through last year's thread and saw some negative remarks regarding the residence. But then, hotel's another $150...

Everyone in my interview group stayed at Olin. It's like a typical college dorm room and was perfectly fine for the night (except for adjusting the AC, which was kind of tricky). It's also like two steps away from the admissions office, so that was convenient. The vast majority of medical students live off-campus, however.

Everyone in my interview group stayed at Olin. It's like a typical college dorm room and was perfectly fine for the night (except for adjusting the AC, which was kind of tricky). It's also like two steps away from the admissions office, so that was convenient. The vast majority of medical students live off-campus, however.
I stayed at olin also. The room is very bare. If you run cold bring heavy pajamas, you only get a light blanket. Also bring flip flops, it's a communal bathroom and you probably don't want to have to put on real shoes every time you run out to the bathroom / don't shower barefoot there. But it was nice not having to travel anywhere and I slept comfortably.

Also current med student here.
Random tips:
*Go to second look if you have a chance! They will treat you VERY well. Open bar!
*DO NOT worry about giving the /right/ answers at your interviews. Take a xan or a shot of your favorite rum with the applicant breakfast. Interviews are to make sure you're relatively chill, friendly, and excited about medicine.
*Take the metrolink from the airport. Way cheaper than an uber and just about as fast.
*Really FOCUS on Why Wash U / Why St Louis. As already mentioned, they have problems with yield, so they only will accept people who show a lot of interest. If you have family in the area-big boost. If you're a midwesterner- big boost. If you have friends/acquaintances who are med students here (not students on the undergrad/non-medical campus) - big boost. If you know the names of some researchers who are working on things in your demonstrated area of interest- big boost. If you're prepared and excited to talk about socioeconomic issues and healthcare - especially in reference to the protests/"riots" (as the news calls them) that st louis is famous for in recent years - big boost.

RE: Yield. I think people are scared away by St Louis. It definitely has a lot of issues in some parts of the city, but I couldn't imagine a better place to study for someone interested in health disparities. Unlike for manhattan, chicago, and california schools, wustl is THE name in town. You're not easily lost in the crowd of the city. People are actually friendly here, unlike other big cities. If you get in and are worried about liking St Louis, I would really consider coming down for a weekend and exploring places outside the central west end. Go to olive street, cherokee street, little bosnia, west county, downtown etc. It's extremely diverse and there's never an end to the opportunities for work and play around here.

Also the administration seems to downplay the new dorms/gym theyre building for the upcoming class. They look like theyre off the HOOK.

Reactions: 16 users
Does anyone know how we forward thank you emails to our interviewers? Thanks :)

I was originally dismayed from applying to this school due to a lack of calculus. However, I now see that this can be substituted with statistics. Would it be completely insane to apply at this stage?
I guess that depends on your app? If you are a stellar candidate and money is not a problem, then I think you will still have a decent chance.

Definitely took some agonizing, but I withdrew from WashU today post-II. Good luck to everyone here, you guys are going to kill it! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Things I never expected to say, either... Hence the agonizing. :p

I bet it was! Out of curiosity, why did you withdraw post-II and not wait to see if you got an acceptance with a scholarship, or just an acceptance in general?

I bet it was! Out of curiosity, why did you withdraw post-II and not wait to see if you got an acceptance with a scholarship, or just an acceptance in general?
Oh it's post-invite, not post-interview! Apologies if that wasn't the clearest way to word it.

I was accepted with a full scholarship at UChicago and just can't see myself choosing WashU over that offer, so I'd rather have someone else able to take my interview slot. :)

Reactions: 6 users
Oh it's post-invite, not post-interview! Apologies if that wasn't the clearest way to word it.

I was accepted with a full scholarship at UChicago and just can't see myself choosing WashU over that offer, so I'd rather have someone else able to take my interview slot. :)

Oh whoops that was clear, my brain just skimmed over it! But that's huge, congrats - I'm sure it was well deserved :)

II! I was complete way back in mid-July, so there's still hope! The two dates I saw were in early/mid-December.

INTERVIEW!!!! Earliest date available was 11/2. Complete 8/1

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
Just got my first II. Extremely happy. Complete 9/16.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol. I wish I can reschedule my interview here. Got the II three weeks ago and foolishly set it for end of November
The end of Nov is still pretty good. Earliest interview option for MD is in January 2018

The end of Nov is still pretty good. Earliest interview option for MD is in January 2018
There's no way that was true. There were a ton of spots open in November and I got the invite only like an hour before you. You should call the office and see if they can schedule you for earlier.

There's no way that was true. There were a ton of spots open in November and I got the invite only like an hour before you. You should call the office and see if they can schedule you for earlier.
This is very interesting, the calendar I can view the earliest appointment is on Jan 12, 2018. It has MD labeled in the available spot. May be they have different calendars for specific candidates? Oh. I just saw one open on oct 31. Someone cancelled it, may be.

This is very interesting, the calendar I can view the earliest appointment is on Jan 12, 2018. It has MD labeled in the available spot. May be they have different calendars for specific candidates? Oh. I just saw one open on oct 31. Someone cancelled it, may be.
Oh hey, that might be my spot, considering I just got my "thanks for withdrawing" email. Hope someone can schedule it :)

Oh hey, that might be my spot, considering I just got my "thanks for withdrawing" email. Hope someone can schedule it :)
Unfortunately this spot goes away almost immediately. May be many interview invites were out today.

Why you withdrawing? Already get in somewhere you prefer more?
Yep! I heard back from UChicago and they offered me a full tuition scholarship, and I realized I couldn't see myself picking WashU over them even with similarly generous offer.