2017-2018 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year?
(if yes, the following question appears)
Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 characters max)

Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (optional)

Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (optional)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a letter from them saying I should apply because of my MCAT performance or something. Can schools see your MCAT before application transmission?

Members don't see this ad :)
For ref, I was 95th percentile and got nothing :)

Still applying, though :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure it won't mean anything in WashU's decisions- they're just trying to get more applicants

Yea, its just one part of the app. I got one and still not sure if its worth applying because my GPAs are low for them.

I have a hard believing time any school does not appreciate a 95th percentile score ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure it won't mean anything in WashU's decisions- they're just trying to get more applicants
Lol but it sure made me feel good. Before I hadn't really considered WashU too heavily and then as the month went on I found myself thinking, "hmmm, there is something I really like about WashU". They GOT ME.

Reactions: 4 users
Lol but it sure made me feel good. Before I hadn't really considered WashU too heavily and then as the month went on I found myself thinking, "hmmm, there is something I really like about WashU". They GOT ME.
I am not ashamed to admit that I am swayed by their "fan mail" (I am calling it that now before their rejection;) )

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not ashamed to admit that I am swayed by their "fan mail" (I am calling it that now before their rejection;) )
Totally. When I got it I texted my dad and said "WashU sent me fan-mail". Would have never imagined...

Did anyone receive any emails confirming receipt of primary?

I am a current student at WashU SOM and wanted to pass on a little info from the admissions office that I received about this upcoming application cycle. The secondary application website that we used for many years has changed and an updated system will be used. Please do not try and apply through the old web address (some applicants have mistakenly found and done so already). They will not receive your information if you do not apply through the new system.

The admissions office has told me: "We have a new supplemental that will open July 10th. The link is mdapply.wustl.edu."

I never get on here so if you reply with a question, I 100% will not be answering them. Good luck with this upcoming application season!

Reactions: 3 users
WashU is known to be a "stats *****". They LOVE a high MCAT. So if you have a high MCAT, give it a go.

Hey all, joining this thread to answer any questions I can. I attended WashU for undergrad and worked at the med school during my gap year, and also was admitted to the MD program. Any questions about the area, application, interview day, financial aid, whatever I might know!

Does Washington university give merit scholarships

Does Washington university give merit scholarships
Yes, they and Penn are the two tip-top programs that throw around a ton of merit money. If I recall correctly, they hand out at least a dozen full-tuition merit offers per year, as well as some partial-tuition. Whenever someone turns one down, it then gets offered to another person until all the merit funds for that year are used up.

I should note however that it is a merit* scholarship, they are really recruitment/yield scholarships. For example in May last cycle, people were called on the waitlist and offered full scholarships, meanwhile there were many directly admitted people that were not given the offer. This obviously goes against the scholarships being purely for merit. But makes sense from a recruitment standpoint - after April 30 has passed, your direct admits that are still holding a seat are now locked in to attending WashU, and the money is more useful when used to convince someone on your waitlist to give up their other seat(s) and switch to you.

TL;DR They give merit scholarships which factor in things other than merit.

Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year?
(if yes, the following question appears)
Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 characters max)

Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (optional)

Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (optional)
@gyngyn

Secondary received just now...

Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? (Yes/No)
If yes:
Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 char)
(If no: Nothing)
Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (optional) (3000 char)
Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (optional) (3000 char)
Have you been convicted of any criminal offense (excluding speeding and non-moving traffic offenses)?
If yes: Please explain (1000 char)

Thoughts on whether to answer the optional failure essay? I don't think I have a compelling example. Could talk about my current struggle to lose weight and be healthier, but that may be pretty weak/lame, but also could probably be written well.

Thoughts on whether to answer the optional failure essay? I don't think I have a compelling example.
I'm in the camp that thinks optional truly means optional. However just as a heads up, you're going to have to write an essay that fits this prompt soon anyways - a lot of places have an essay prompt about a time you struggled or failed that is not optional!

Thoughts on whether to answer the optional failure essay? I don't think I have a compelling example. Could talk about my current struggle to lose weight and be healthier, but that may be pretty weak/lame, but also could probably be written well.

I think you should answer and take every opportunity to give them more information about yourself! You could definitely tie in weight loss challenges to your future career as a doctor, i.e. relating to the large portion of patients who struggle with weight

I'm in the camp that thinks optional truly means optional. However just as a heads up, you're going to have to write an essay that fits this prompt soon anyways - a lot of places have an essay prompt about a time you struggled or failed that is not optional!

Would you say that the "experiences and obstacles" prompt is also truly optional if we have nothing groundbreaking to add beyond what is covered in the primary?

Would you say that the "experiences and obstacles" prompt is also truly optional if we have nothing groundbreaking to add beyond what is covered in the primary?
This one I 100% think is truly optional. It's there to give you a chance to talk about major disruptions in your academic timeline, disadvantages from your family background, that kind of thing, not a getting-to-know-you type essay. Some peer schools have the same type of prompt and are very explicit about it being optional.

Example Hopkins: You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity), or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it.

Example Harvard: If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.

This one I 100% think is truly optional. It's there to give you a chance to talk about major disruptions in your academic timeline, disadvantages from your family background, that kind of thing, not a getting-to-know-you type essay. Some peer schools have the same type of prompt and are very explicit about it being optional.

Example Hopkins: You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity), or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it.

Example Harvard: If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.

Thank you so much for the comprehensive answer!

Hey guys, just got my secondary. Any opinions on whether it would be a good/bad idea to talk about growing up gay in a family with strong religious and east asian cultural values in the "unique experiences and obstacles" prompt?

Hey guys, just got my secondary. Any opinions on whether it would be a good/bad idea to talk about growing up gay in a family with strong religious and east asian cultural values in the "unique experiences and obstacles" prompt?
If it had an impact on your path so far and isn't described elsewhere in your app, then yeah, that's the kind of thing this space is for.

Submitted earlier today... but under the "Application Status" tab it lists my Letter of References as "Not received" and my application as being incomplete -- yet under the "Document Status" tab my letters are listed and marked as received. Anyone else have this?

Is anyone else having trouble getting their photo to upload? It won't work for me but I'm not sure if it is my internet connection or a problem with their site. If it worked for you, what type of file did you use? Thanks!

Submitted earlier today... but under the "Application Status" tab it lists my Letter of References as "Not received" and my application as being incomplete -- yet under the "Document Status" tab my letters are listed and marked as received. Anyone else have this?

Mine is showing the same thing.

Is uploading a CV or research portfolio required since they have specific sections for that in the document section or is it only if we want to?

Is uploading a CV or research portfolio required since they have specific sections for that in the document section or is it only if we want to?
It really seems like those would both be optional, but I'm just guessing...

For the optional essays, is it necessary to hit 3000 char?

MSTP applicant here. Submitted AMCAS on 6/2. Got WUSTL secondary on 7/10.

In the "Welcome" page of the secondary application, it says "The Supplemental Application should be completed within 6 weeks of your AMCAS application submission and no later than 12/31/2017."

This means I should have submitted my secondary by 7/14. I plan to submit only Tuesday 7/18 - within a week of getting the secondary.

How strict are they with their 6 weeks of AMCAS submission to submit the secondary?

Has anyone's application been marked complete yet?

Has anyone's application been marked complete yet?

Mine was marked complete the day after submitting my secondary! It seems that many schools take a while to download your letters of recommendation from AMCAS (it took BU about a week to mark mine as recieved, for example).

MSTP applicant here. Submitted AMCAS on 6/2. Got WUSTL secondary on 7/10.

In the "Welcome" page of the secondary application, it says "The Supplemental Application should be completed within 6 weeks of your AMCAS application submission and no later than 12/31/2017."

This means I should have submitted my secondary by 7/14. I plan to submit only Tuesday 7/18 - within a week of getting the secondary.

How strict are they with their 6 weeks of AMCAS submission to submit the secondary?

I initially took that sentence to mean 6 weeks upon recieving your Wash U secondary. Even if it's 6 weeks upon Wash U recieving your AMCAS application on June 29, you should still be safe submitting within a week. It's nonsensical for them to ask applicants to submit 6 weeks from the literal time of AMCAS submission, considering some applicants may take more than 6 weeks for verification and the fact that Wash U sent their secondaries about 1.5 weeks after the initial application transmission. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Was about to ask the same question. Pity - wanted to submit today.
Yup same here. It's been the "magical" 2 weeks since I got their secondary invite so I was going to send this one out today.

I have actually been really bad about the 'two week' guideline - I am still not entirely satisfied with my unique experiences essay, but it has been 3 weeks -,-

So has anyone's app been marked complete yet? If so, how long did it take?