2017-2018 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any II's recently? haven't seen much activity with regards to that...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very much interested in St. Louis, over the summer/Fall semester I visited several times. Really got to know the city, and even know some current med students that I've gotten plenty of good information confirming my interest in attending.

Only issue is my homestate, university, and family technically have no connections to STL. And since this interest in St. Louis is so recent I'm not sure how I can convey to the school pre-II that I would be very likely to matriculate if accepted.

Are they receptive to LOI?
Should I send out a ITA email, when I go visit again in Jan?

Stats wise I match Ok or at least on par with them, LizzyM: 79
WashU is definitely receptive to letters of interest. Not sure about ITA. But then I can guarantee that it won’t hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
same! II just now and complete in mid july! interview days are mid jan onwards

Reactions: 5 users
Interview Invite! Super excited; it's a great school! Dates are in January

Reactions: 2 users
Havent heard anything yet from both MSTP and MD :(

For anyone still waiting to hear from here, they will be interviewing till the end of February....so good luck

Are they okay with thank you cards? Apprently some schools are not receptive, bur can't find anything on WashU

Are they okay with thank you cards? Apprently some schools are not receptive, bur can't find anything on WashU
I mailed in my my thank you cards last year. My big sib (M2) apparently emailed them in. We were both fine.

Reactions: 1 user
hi all! I have an interview here coming up and was wondering if anyone had any tips or information about how interview day goes? Also, during 1 on 1 interviews, will I need a portfolio to take notes or write down my interviewer's emails for thank you letters afterwards? thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all! I have an interview here coming up and was wondering if anyone had any tips or information about how interview day goes? Also, during 1 on 1 interviews, will I need a portfolio to take notes or write down my interviewer's emails for thank you letters afterwards? thanks so much!
I didn't bring a portfolio. I personally do not recommend taking notes during your interview since that can break the flow of your conversation. You will be provided with a folder with school information (which should contain a small notepad/sticky + a pen), so you definitely will not need to use a portfolio to write down your interviewer's emails.

Interview day is pretty chill. I recommend going to the pizza party the night before to destress and chat with med students.

I didn't bring a portfolio. I personally do not recommend taking notes during your interview since that can break the flow of your conversation. You will be provided with a folder with school information (which should contain a small notepad/sticky + a pen), so you definitely will not need to use a portfolio to write down your interviewer's emails.

Interview day is pretty chill. I recommend going to the pizza party the night before to destress and chat with med students.

ok thanks so much! i've only done MMI's so far; any tips on traditional interview style?

ok thanks so much! i've only done MMI's so far; any tips on traditional interview style?
Traditional interviews are like laid-back conversations. You talk to fewer people for longer durations. At WashU you get 2 or 3 one-to-one interviews. MMIs, as you have already experienced, are more like speed dating. Relax and be yourself. You will shine!

Traditional interviews are like laid-back conversations. You talk to fewer people for longer durations. At WashU you get 2 or 3 one-to-one interviews. MMIs, as you have already experienced, are more like speed dating. Relax and be yourself. You will shine!
thanks so much! do you mind if i PM you with a couple more questions?

Did you remember seeing any Friday dates? When I checked my account last night, there was only one date available 1/30/18.
When I first logged on after my invite, there were a bunch of dates, including Fridays. But when I went to go sign up for a date a couple days later, there were only two left that didn't fall on Fridays.

They got filled up quickly I guess. When I first looked, it had a mid-Jan date which was not a Friday and when I went to sign up, only one day was available. It appears that they interview 1000 people.
Yes, I believe they interview around 25% of their applicant pool. That's a lot!

They have like 30% acceptance to Enrollment do they have to accept more and interview more. Mostly cos they accept the same students that a lot of the top East coast/West coast schools do and young people in general appear to prefer those locations over the Midwest.

Does anyone know if WashU is receptive to LOI's? I interviewed but have not yet received an admission decision. It is without any doubt my top choice, so I'd like to send it now.

Does anyone know if WashU is receptive to LOI's? I interviewed but have not yet received an admission decision. It is without any doubt my top choice, so I'd like to send it now.
did they say how quickly they would get back to you with a decision?

II last night after an ITA request (these things are magical, apparently)! I keep hearing great things about WashU, excited to visit

Reactions: 1 users
If I live close to Wash U is an ITA Request a good idea if Im returning for winter break?

II last night after an ITA request (these things are magical, apparently)! I keep hearing great things about WashU, excited to visit
Did you send an ITA request via email or phone call? Also, do you mind sharing how long it took to hear back after sending it? I sent one too and am just curious.

Looks like last year there was silence between the pre-thanksgiving acceptance release date until pre-winter break

eek!

Did you send an ITA request via email or phone call? Also, do you mind sharing how long it took to hear back after sending it? I sent one too and am just curious.
Emailed, a few days later received a response saying it had been forwarded to Dean Ratts, and received the II 2 weeks after that. When'd you send yours?

have any of y'all who sent thankyou emails after interview gotten any responses? idk what is the norm here. thanks! :)

have any of y'all who sent thankyou emails after interview gotten any responses? idk what is the norm here. thanks! :)
I didn't and was accepted :)

These people are busy -- I really wouldn't sweat if you don't get a response.

Emailed, a few days later received a response saying it had been forwarded to Dean Ratts, and received the II 2 weeks after that. When'd you send yours?
I sent mine just over a week ago, probably bad timing with thanksgiving, and still haven't heard that they received it/forwarded it to the dean. I just sent it via the portal communication tab. Happy to hear that it worked for you!

when do y'all think the next little batch of acceptances is going to be?

when do y'all think the next little batch of acceptances is going to be?
Last years thread seems like they can be kinda randomly sent in December then some in January after break.

In regard to Olin Hall - I thought the temperature was fine, but the heater was a little hard to adjust (You have to access it by the side panel as opposed to the top). I also had more than enough hangers. YMMV with advice, it seems. Except for shower shoes - always bring them.

In regard to Olin Hall - I thought the temperature was fine, but the heater was a little hard to adjust (You have to access it by the side panel as opposed to the top). I also had more than enough hangers. YMMV with advice, it seems. Except for shower shoes - always bring them.
I agree with all these points

Got a II today I applied sometime in August.

Also accepted today! Interviewed mid October

Does anyone know much about what type of students they accept?

I recently interviewed with a 519 MCAT, 3.7x GPA, strong research, and decent volunteering, ECs, & shadowing. I felt extremely under-qualified compared to the other students, like I couldn't have been accepted to any of the colleges the other students at my interview were from. I definitely felt great about the interviews but part of me feels like its too much of a long shot and I don't want to get attached before a rejection.

Accepted this afternoon. Interviewed like mid November.

Edit - by phone, got no email yet and no change in portal

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Interviewed on Halloween haha

Reactions: 2 users