2021-2022 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when waitlist movement typically "significantly slows down"? I'm trying to figure out when I should give up and start looking at signing leases for another school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Down, down to 102 GroupMe members (everyone in here is an accepted student). 145 in the FB group (plenty of current students in here). But yeah save us.

Afternoon Edit: Four new people just joined the FB group and three new people (plus one late joiner) joined the GroupMe. I am not sure if they came off the waitlist or were prodded by the email to accepted students that just came out.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Down, down to 102 GroupMe members (everyone in here is an accepted student). 145 in the FB group (plenty of current students in here). But yeah save us.

Afternoon Edit: Four new people just joined the FB group and three new people (plus one late joiner) joined the GroupMe. I am not sure if they came off the waitlist or were prodded by the email to accepted students that just came out.
Appreciate all the updates! These are awesome

Reactions: 1 users
they probly just tryna figure out which of us they wanna call first

Reactions: 3 users
& how they're gonna fund the massive schollies we're all getting /w that phone call.

• Love
Did you all (within the last 10 minutes) get an email from WashU stating that WL movement has begun? I wonder if this is because they actually started taking people off the waitlist (just too few to see a post on here) or if they will begin today - and they are just sending this email to denote that they are beginning today.
I just got the email

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the email about 10 minutes ago, I'm guessing they're coming through piecemeal

Edit: it was immediately followed by an email with the subject line "Congratulations! You've got an offer" with a great deal on credit card balance transfers :rolleyes:

• Haha
"An Update to Your Waitlist Status". These emails are not good for my cardiovascular health 😂. Whoever's in charge of these emails clearly has a dark sense of humor.

• Haha
I also just got it a couple of minutes ago. I think it's being sent in batches so I wouldn't worry if you still haven't gotten it yet!

I got the email about 10 minutes ago, I'm guessing they're coming through piecemeal

Edit: it was immediately followed by an email with the subject line "Congratulations! You've got an offer" with a great deal on credit card balance transfers :rolleyes:
Lmao will they allow me to transfer a student loan balance onto a cc & just cancel it... that's how debt works right?

• Haha
Did you all (within the last 10 minutes) get an email from WashU stating that WL movement has begun? I wonder if this is because they actually started taking people off the waitlist (just too few to see a post on here) or if they will begin today - and they are just sending this email to denote that they are beginning today.
I feel like they have already taken people off based on the past-tense phrasing in the email, but who knows. I like the idea of being transparent but these emails with no real useful info just kinda force me to think more about something I have no control over

Hey Everyone! I was accepted off the WL last week. I received an email followed by a phone call.

Reactions: 5 users
When they courage you to submit an LOI but you have already sent 3 and have to CTE on Friday

• Sad
Summer rotation starts in 3 weeks
That is so nervewracking. I am sorry you're in this situation ❤️ I know at least one person who dropped their MSTP A at WUSM so hopefully they will accept you ASAP. Sending you love NonTrad

Hey Everyone! I was accepted off the WL last week. I received an email followed by a phone call.
Thanks for sharing! If you don't mind, what deadline did they give you to decide by? Wondering if we might see more movement after they give the first wave of people some time to think on it

Thanks for sharing! If you don't mind, what deadline did they give you to decide by? Wondering if we might see more movement after they give the first wave of people some time to think on it
Anytime! And It wasn’t mentioned in the email

They did say in the email that they expect the waitlist movement to continue for a couple of weeks! So hopefully there will be more spots for us 😬

also do we have to do anything if we want to stay on the waitlist? The email said to verify that our waitlist status is correct on the admissions portal but that just means going online and checking our status right?

They did say in the email that they expect the waitlist movement to continue for a couple of weeks! So hopefully there will be more spots for us 😬

also do we have to do anything if we want to stay on the waitlist? The email said to verify that our waitlist status is correct on the admissions portal but that just means going online and checking our status right?
I believe so! That's all I did too.

How do we join the GroupMe and FB page? I was just accepted off the waitlist so idk if I got the email that has the info.

So it looks like a few people got off the waitlist. But isn't there supposed to be a big movement like last year?

Was anyone who came off the waitlist PTE or CTE to another school when they got in?

Was anyone who came off the waitlist PTE or CTE to another school when they got in?
CTE would be a hard no, since you are required to withdraw from all WLs when you CTE. Plus, if WashU is playing by the rules, they won't call anyone CTE elsewhere.

PTE is pretty much a guarantee, since it is highly unlikely, but certainly not impossible, that anyone would make it to the WL at a school like WashU and not have any As, anywhere.

Last edited:
CTE would be a hard no, since you are required to withdraw from all WLs when you CTE. Plus, if WashU is playing by the rules, they won't call anyone CTE elsewhere.

PTE is pretty much a guarantee, since it is highly unlikely, but certainly not impossible, that anyone would make to the WL at a school like WashU and not have any As, anywhere.
I have a friend whose only interview the cycle was Yale MD PhD… Weirder things have happened.

I have a friend whose only interview the cycle was Yale MD PhD… Weirder things have happened.
Sure, nothing is impossible, and I am not familiar with MD/PhD. But, I have now known a lot of people over the past few years who were on multiple T20 WLs. Plenty of them never got into a T20. None of them had no As on 4/30 each year.

This is very different once you get below T30 or so. But, it is REALLY hard to get T20 IIs as compared to the rest of the field. The people good enough to get them usually do not get shut out everywhere. I'd honestly be shocked if anyone called off a WL at a T20 had that be their first A.

Sure, nothing is impossible, and I am not familiar with MD/PhD. But, I have now known a lot of people over the past few years who were on multiple T20 WLs. Plenty of them never got into a T20. None of them had no As on 4/30 each year.

This is very different once you get below T30 or so. But, it is REALLY hard to get T20 IIs as compared to the rest of the field. The people good enough to get them usually do not get shut out everywhere. I'd honestly be shocked if anyone called off a WL at a T20 had that be their first A.
Well if I ever get off this god forsaken waitlist I'll let you know so you can experience that feeling of shock :). Then again I am a Canadian applicant so circumstances are a little different in my case.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Well if I ever get off this god forsaken waitlist I'll let you know so you can experience that feeling of shock :). Then again I am a Canadian applicant so circumstances are a little different in my case.
Fair enough, and I'm really rooting for you! :) As you know, though, you're in a unique class because you face hurdles at most schools that domestic candidates do not, so it's not really a fair comparison. You just have much more difficult time getting accepted anywhere, and, relatively speaking, an easier time at the top schools than at the lower tier ones, assuming you are a strong candidate.

Last cycle I got one II only at a T10, but nothing else. It was weird and surprising to me then, but looking back my app was severely underdeveloped. This cycle has been much kinder to me.

I know someone who just got off a T5 WL and it's their first A of the cycle, so it definitely happens!

Attachments

• 6348369B-0E67-4A5E-B631-6764DD724235.jpeg
    6348369B-0E67-4A5E-B631-6764DD724235.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
This actually happens not too uncommonly. Some people may be waitlisted/rejected/screened from lower ranked schools due to concerns about mission fit, perceived lack of interest, etc. Research-heavy institutions and/or stats brothels may also be more likely to overlook a relative deficiency in someone's app if they can compensate for it in other areas. And by pure luck or misfortunate, someone with a compelling application on paper may mess up on one interview (non-T20) but not the other (T20), or through luck of the draw, get paired with interviewer(s) who are a better match for their personality and/or interests. So lots of different scenarios can lead to an applicant having only one acceptance at a T5/T10/T20 school. Just my thoughts.

This actually happens not too uncommonly. Some people may be waitlisted/rejected/screened from lower ranked schools due to concerns about mission fit, perceived lack of interest, etc. Research-heavy institutions and/or stats brothels may also be more likely to overlook a relative deficiency in someone's app if they can compensate for it in other areas. And by pure luck or misfortunate, someone with a compelling application on paper may mess up on one interview (non-T20) but not the other (T20), or through luck of the draw, get paired with interviewer(s) who are a better match for their personality and/or interests. So lots of different scenarios can lead to an applicant having only one acceptance at a T5/T10/T20 school. Just my thoughts.
Yes, of course, strange things can and do happen in a data set with 60,000+ individuals. And strong candidates absolutely do get screened out at many lower tier schools.

The fact remains, however, that it is pretty rare for someone to be called off a WL at a T20 and not have any other acceptances, T20 or otherwise.

Yes, of course, strange things can and do happen in a data set with 60,000+ individuals. And strong candidates absolutely do get screened out at many lower tier schools.

The fact remains, however, that it is pretty rare for someone to be called off a WL at a T20 and not have any other acceptances, T20 or otherwise.

Do you have any stats to back that up? If not how can you possibly say that it is pretty rare when you have multiple people telling you they know several people who were in that exact situation. I personally know many people like this. And it’s not shocking. It’s likely a mix of being yield protected and not being too great at interviews.

Do you have any stats to back that up? If not how can you possibly say that it is pretty rare when you have multiple people telling you they know several people who were in that exact situation. I personally know many people like this. And it’s not shocking. It’s likely a mix of being yield protected and not being too great at interviews.
No, I don't have stats. I only have my personal anecdotes, just like everyone else.

then I wouldn’t call it a fact lol
Fair enough, but I'll stick with what I said. It's objectively pretty rare to be called off a T20 WL, period. Those being called with zero other As are a small subset of the already small number, everyone's n=1 stories notwithstanding.

Last edited:
I am begging y’all to please keep this thread relevant to waitlist movements at WashU for now - I logged in to see if any waitlist movements occurred & not to comb through the posts for yet another essay for a point that ultimately does not matter

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 28 users