2017-2018 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm pretty sure its separate but it takes a while here. The school looks through each one and verifies them in terms of headers, signitures ect. If there are problems, they will reach out to you which is nice, which happened to me and it was fixed accordingly.

Okay, that makes sense!! Thanks.

My letters were in by mid to early July, which is why I was a bit confused as to why they were still no marked as "received" yet...but it just seems that they weren't processed.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, that makes sense!! Thanks.

My letters were in by mid to early July, which is why I was a bit confused as to why they were still no marked as "received" yet...but it just seems that they weren't processed.

For reference: in the Documents tab, I have a "received by Admissions office" date, but no "approved by Admissions office" date.
However, in the Status tab, "Letter of References" is marked as "Not received."

Anyone in the same boat, or should I call?

Thanks for any help!

For reference: in the Documents tab, I have a "received by Admissions office" date, but no "approved by Admissions office" date.
However, in the Status tab, "Letter of References" is marked as "Not received."

Anyone in the same boat, or should I call?

Thanks for any help!
email them. I had to do that and found out there was a problem with the letters. They will eventually reach out to you, but better to be proactive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which email did you send your inquiry to?
[email protected]
seems to be the one I found.
I actually had a specific person reach out to me, but I also sent an email to that address after and the same person replied to me to deal with the problem and follow up. That should be fine, they are very receptive.

II!! Complete 7/20. Dates in late Oct and early Nov

Reactions: 1 users
II its so nice they give you free lodging in Olin hall. TY!!! $100 saved. Does anyone know if you get your own room? I know the bathroom is shared, but bedrooms are private correct?

Reactions: 4 users
II its so nice they give you free lodging in Olin hall. TY!!! $100 saved. Does anyone know if you get your own room? I know the bathroom is shared, but bedrooms are private correct?

Yea, you get your own room and your own sink.

Also II! When I logged on the earliest available date is late November. Shall I call to ask if they'll open up earlier dates?

How long after submitting your secondary did you guys have 'complete' on your apps? Just called admissions and they said they have NO ACCESS to your recommendations until you hit SUBMIT on your secondaries. From that moment, they say it takes up to 4 weeks to process your recs.

How long after submitting your secondary did you guys have 'complete' on your apps? Just called admissions and they said they have NO ACCESS to your recommendations until you hit SUBMIT on your secondaries. From that moment, they say it takes up to 4 weeks to process your recs.

It took me around 2 weeks between submitting and being marked complete

I'm an ORM, right at WashU's MCAT median but only 25%ile GPA. Do y'all think it's too late to add this school and submit the secondary? I'm unfamiliar with whether they are rolling or no.

Just got my first interview invite! Complete 8/28, II 9/7, ORM+OOS :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's been hiding in my spam folder for the past 10 days :D
You may want to save the WashU admissions email to your contacts. Last year my secondary from WashU went straight to spam and I didn't even realize it was there till five days later.

Current 4th year checking in. Happy to answer any questions.

When were you complete? What are your stats? Weird, I called them and they told me it could take up to 4 weeks from receiving your secondary + letters
I submitted crazy late, so not sure how they processed so fast, but I got a complete email two hours after submitting my secondary.

Wait... I took like 20 minutes to talk to my family and look at flights and now all the October dates are gone?

Is the portal acting weird for anyone else? Every time I refresh the page the available dates change.

II earlier today! Complete 8/12.

II earlier today as well! Of course on the day I'm not checking my email constantly haha. Complete 7/13

For those that have interviewed/have interviews coming up soon... Did you ever receive some sort of confirmation about staying in Olin the night before? I selected my dates in the portal and clicked save but I'm not sure if we're supposed to see a confirmation screen/get an email about it? Wouldn't want to show up the day before without any housing lol

For those that have interviewed/have interviews coming up soon... Did you ever receive some sort of confirmation about staying in Olin the night before? I selected my dates in the portal and clicked save but I'm not sure if we're supposed to see a confirmation screen/get an email about it? Wouldn't want to show up the day before without any housing lol
I had the exact same question

I had the exact same question

I went through my emails from last year and didn't see a confirmation email. I remember being confused as well. As long as you indicated it when you scheduled the interview, you should be fine.

II! Complete 8/9. Super excited as this is my first from a top ten school and WashU seems incredible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Got II late today! Complete 7/30/17.

Got II as well. complete mid Aug. but im seeing no dates available from now till April - anyone else seeing the same thing? guess ill give them a call tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
Got II as well. complete mid Aug. but im seeing no dates available from now till April - anyone else seeing the same thing? guess ill give them a call tomorrow.
I see some in October too

Last edited:
Same here. I don't see any dates available so I can't schedule. They seem to anticipate that in the email and say to call them.

So they expected some portal problems?? Guess I'll find out tomorrow. Still love WashU for inviting me.

II! Complete 9/3. URM, lived in the undeserved ghetto throughout the majority of my life. My numbers (3.7, 514) aren't even close to WashU's (3.9, 522-525) :wideyed:
However I do have a decent amount of clinical and research experience including
-7 months of clinical research in the emergency department of a well known inner city level-1 trauma center hospital in Minneapolis
-3 years of research in the U of M medical school (no pubs, multiple presentations at conferences)
-Currently working as a lab tech in a well known inner city level-1 trauma center hospital in Minneapolis (4 months)
-Currently working as a medical scribe in a well known inner city level-1 trauma center hospital in St. Paul (4 months)
-1.5 year volunteering in the surgery lounge of another inner city hospital in Minneapolis
-1.5 years research assistant in the department of Genetics, Cell Bio, and Development

Anyone know the structure of the interview? how many? one on one? open or closed?

I saw that Wash U interviews 1/4 of applicants which is pretty high, but they also accept about 1/3 which is very typical. Does anyone know why this is.... maybe applicants are very high achievers, location preferences, something else entirely ect.??

II! Completed Mid-July. LM ~76

@The8, i think people look at the MSAR data and see the MCAT/GPA numbers of WashU and a lot of them are turned away. I would imagine that the applicant pool that applies here are fairly in range. From my experience, WashU doesn't seem to be a "dream school" for some applicants with lower numbers (unlike say Harvard, UCLA or UCSF).

I saw that Wash U interviews 1/4 of applicants which is pretty high, but they also accept about 1/3 which is very typical. Does anyone know why this is.... maybe applicants are very high achievers, location preferences, something else entirely ect.??

They tend to struggle with yield. It was talked about a bit in last years thread, but only 30% of people accepted end up matriculating. Here is the yield data from other top 20s that was posted last year.

II! Completed Mid-July. LM ~76

@The8, i think people look at the MSAR data and see the MCAT/GPA numbers of WashU and a lot of them are turned away. I would imagine that the applicant pool that applies here are fairly in range. From my experience, WashU doesn't seem to be a "dream school" for some applicants with lower numbers (unlike say Harvard, UCLA or UCSF).
Yeah, maybe the high stats scare people who would otherwise choose it as a dream school.... the stats scared me.... but NYU (maybe not yet) and UChicago you think would also end up with this problem. New York location I could see being a huge factor, but the location of UChicago isn't that great as far as I know.

Do you know if they take 3x matriculants or so for acceptances?

They tend to struggle with yield. It was talked about a bit in last years thread, but only 30% of people accepted end up matriculating. Here is the yield data from other top 20s that was posted last year.
That's an intriguing chart, thanks for sharing.