2017-2018 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For MD, if it has been three weeks since verification and I have not gotten a secondary, can I safely assume I am not getting one? LizzyM > 75, but no pubs. (Forgive me for my panicking.)
It is still only freaking July!!! You can assume nothing at this point. They will be sending out secondaries for many months to come. You will either get one or you won't. Not every school loves every applicant...regardless of your stats. No amount of panicking going to change that. Relax and enjoy the ride...it's gonna be a LONG one!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
For MD, if it has been three weeks since verification and I have not gotten a secondary, can I safely assume I am not getting one? LizzyM > 75, but no pubs. (Forgive me for my panicking.)

Definitely not! I have a similar LizzyM and was kind of starting to wonder if something went wrong (especially seeing as others who were complete later recieving secondaries), but just got mine on Tuesday!

Reactions: 1 user
It is still only freaking July!!! You can assume nothing at this point. They will be sending out secondaries for many months to come. You will either get one or you won't. Not every school loves every applicant...regardless of your stats. No amount of panicking going to change that. Relax and enjoy the ride...it's gonna be a LONG one!
lol, sound advice. at least the secondary shouldn't take too long to fill out, if I do get one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not! I have a similar LizzyM and was kind of starting to wonder if something went wrong (especially seeing as others who were complete later recieving secondaries), but just got mine on Tuesday!
That's comforting, thanks!

Hey guys I was looking over my primary again and I feel I didn't talk up my lab experience as much as I could have, and I know in the secondary they gave space to elaborate more on any of your experiences( and I didn't). Do you guys think its okay if I send them an update them regarding this? Like just tell them more about my lab work, group structure, etc? Thanks

Hey guys I was looking over my primary again and I feel I didn't talk up my lab experience as much as I could have, and I know in the secondary they gave space to elaborate more on any of your experiences( and I didn't). Do you guys think its okay if I send them an update them regarding this? Like just tell them more about my lab work, group structure, etc? Thanks

That's exactly what I did.

IIRC UCSF doesn't accept updates outside of the secondary, so if you've already submitted that, you'll have to wait for an interview to give any updates.

Reactions: 1 users
How competitive is the prescreening process at UCSF?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent in my Primary to UCSF separately from other schools (verified 6/25) on July 14th and got the secondary July 28th!

Reactions: 1 users
Still waiting on this bad boy. Submitted June 13. Verified June 29. Added school on June 29. Hope it comes this week.

Secondary received just now! OOS, LM 73.1, verified 7/20 and applied here a few days after.

I was borderline not gonna apply here because I thought I had no chance. Super stoked about this!!

Still waiting on this bad boy. Submitted June 13. Verified June 29. Added school on June 29. Hope it comes this week.

Verified roughly same time as you and received secondary just now :thumbup: I'm OOS

Just got the secondary. Verified June 8, added school on July 19. CA resident.

Last edited:
I was on the alternate list from last cycle and received a secondary this cycle

If you don't mind me asking, how come you're a reapplicant if a place like UCSF put you on their waitlist? I would imagine other schools gave you acceptances if you're awesome enough to have interviewed at UCSF.

I'm sorry if this is a rude question, I don't mean to be. I'm just genuinely curious and don't know what's the most polite way to ask this. No worries if you don't wanna answer. Just trying to understand this process that seems so random at times.

If you don't mind me asking, how come you're a reapplicant if a place like UCSF put you on their waitlist? I would imagine other schools gave you acceptances if you're awesome enough to have interviewed at UCSF.

I'm sorry if this is a rude question, I don't mean to be. I'm just genuinely curious and don't know what's the most polite way to ask this. No worries if you don't wanna answer. Just trying to understand this process that seems so random at times.
**** happens. Med school acceptances are such a crapshoot that sometimes good applicants just don't get in on the first try.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm starting to feel like I will not get a secondary from UCSF. :( Verified 6/27 and had them on my first submission. 513/4.0 OOS.

I'm starting to feel like I will not get a secondary from UCSF. :( Verified 6/27 and had them on my first submission. 513/4.0 OOS.

+1, but what will be will be.

+1, but what will be will be.

Yeah, I kind of gave up on it a while back. I'm definitely not pre-writing. I applied for MSTP, though, which gives secondaries to nearly everyone, so I'm feeling even more bummed. I may call and switch to MD only.

Yeah, I kind of gave up on it a while back. I'm definitely not pre-writing. I applied for MSTP, though, which gives secondaries to nearly everyone, so I'm feeling even more bummed. I may call and switch to MD only.
MSTP does not give secondaries to everyone I believe. The prescreening is still done by the MD committee. Since MD/PhD applicants are overall more competitive and have high stats, more mdphd applicants pass the prescreening. In fact, near half of 600 or so initial AMCAS applicants receive the secondaries.

MSTP does not give secondaries to everyone I believe. The prescreening is still done by the MD committee. Since MD/PhD applicants are overall more competitive and have high stats, more mdphd applicants pass the prescreening. In fact, near half of 600 or so initial AMCAS applicants receive the secondaries.

I think the website indicated something like 90% of the MSTP applicants received secondaries last year. Is it the same screening process? I was assuming it might be different So I thought to go straight MD. If the screening is the same, I'll just stick it out.

All that worry for nothing. Secondary received just now - about an hour after I sent them my letters of recommendation =)

Hi everyone! MS1 here, available for questions :)

Was accepted into MD, MD-PRIME, JMP, and JMP-PRIME, so can answer questions and give feedback on all of the programs.

Please quote or @ me so I get a push to my phone.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

All that worry for nothing. Secondary received just now - about an hour after I sent them my letters of recommendation =)

So I guess the LORs are taken into account for screening? Or is it just completion?

Hi everyone! MS1 here, available for questions :)

Was accepted into MD, MD-PRIME, JMP, and JMP-PRIME, so can answer questions and give feedback on all of the programs.

Please quote or @ me so I get a push to my phone.

Good luck!

Where can I find a match list for PRIME? I'm interested but it seems like it's geared towards primary care and I don't want to limit myself, especially since I'm leaning more towards some of the specialties.

So I guess the LORs are taken into account for screening? Or is it just completion?
Not in screening. I didn't send my LORs until after I received the secondary

Where can I find a match list for PRIME? I'm interested but it seems like it's geared towards primary care and I don't want to limit myself, especially since I'm leaning more towards some of the specialties.

As someone in PRIME and interested in neurosurgery, PRIME absolutely does not limit you. It just so happens that most people interested in working in underserved communities or addressing health care disparities are also corely interested in primary care. To address healthcare disparities however, we need people in all areas of medicine working to achieve health equity.

PRIME puts no limitations on you or have no requirements for your specialty choices.

Additionally, your Clinical Microsystems Clerkship, which runs through the first two or so years of school can be based in any field, in any hospital/clinical system. That is where the bulk of your early clinical exposure will occur. PRIME tries to get you placed in an underserved hospital system like the general hospital or VA but you can be placed outside of those. And they don't constrict the specialty of your medical preceptor, it can be any field. Ex. I have a very specialized field at a tertiary center.

Edit: Re-match list. These are given out with your interview packet. It's a 20 year period, since it's only 15 students per year, 11 at UCSF, 4 at Berkeley.

As someone in PRIME and interested in neurosurgery, PRIME absolutely does not limit you. It just so happens that most people interested in working in underserved communities or addressing health care disparities are also corely interested in primary care. To address healthcare disparities however, we need people in all areas of medicine working to achieve health equity.

PRIME puts no limitations on you or have no requirements for your specialty choices.

Additionally, your Clinical Microsystems Clerkship, which runs through the first two or so years of school can be based in any field, in any hospital/clinical system. That is where the bulk of your early clinical exposure will occur. PRIME tries to get you placed in an underserved hospital system like the general hospital or VA but you can be placed outside of those. And they don't constrict the specialty of your medical preceptor, it can be any field. Ex. I have a very specialized field at a tertiary center.

Edit: Re-match list. These are given out with your interview packet. It's a 20 year period, since it's only 15 students per year, 11 at UCSF, 4 at Berkeley.

Thank you :)

I talked with someone in the office and asked if I should send my letters in, and she said it might help with the screening process. I sent them in right after that and received the secondary two hours later. I am not sure she knows that much about the process, and it could have been a coincidence. But I have been told i have a strong letter packet, so I am taking every opportunity to send those on!

Last edited:
So ... What are we supposed to write for these prompts? I have an activity that feeds into my diversity essay - do I expand upon that? I have tons of stuff I can talk about for the post-graduation thing. This seems too simple, which makes it more complicated.

Completely unexpected.. II!!! I'm shaking right now

Reactions: 15 users
Lol thank you! I have 0 research to my name. That's why it's unexpected.
That gives me a lot of hope. :) I've done a lot of work in various labs, but I don't have any publications or the like. Good luck to you with you interview!

That gives me a lot of hope. :) I've done a lot of work in various labs, but I don't have any publications or the like. Good luck to you with you interview!
Thank you. Never count yourself out

Any re-applicants receive the UCSF secondary? I am wondering if my status as a re-applicant auto-screened me out as the rest of my application is competitive.
Yes, I am a reapplicant and got a secondary.

MSAR states that UCSF doesn't send out IIs until September 1st at the earliest...they must have changed their minds

MSAR states that UCSF doesn't send out IIs until September 1st at the earliest...they must have changed their minds
Yea, that's a bit strange. There's also only 1 reported II so I'm pretty skeptical.

Last edited:
Really? During a Q&A session with a UCSF admissions officer this spring, she said they are speeding things up this cycle and plan to start interviews in early-mid August.