2017-2018 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
on a previous year's thread i recall seeing these numbers:

(from a current student's report based on what was said during interview day)
~7,000 applications
~2,500 secondaries
~ 500 interviews
~ 270 acceptances

--
the number of acceptances seems too high considering that the enrolled class is usually ~150/yr
I would think the number of acceptances was likely more like ~170

other stats from the mstp page on UCSF's own site:

AMCAS applications indicating MSTP: 635
Secondary applications: 522
Interviewed: 60
Matriculated: 11

I disagree - an 88% yield is astronomical. 270 sounds about right - remember that the caliber of applicant they are typically accepting usually has acceptances to other top schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
on a previous year's thread i recall seeing these numbers:

(from a current student's report based on what was said during interview day)
~7,000 applications
~2,500 secondaries
~ 500 interviews
~ 270 acceptances

--
the number of acceptances seems too high considering that the enrolled class is usually ~150/yr
I would think the number of acceptances was likely more like ~170

To echo the poster above me - keep in mind that UCSF (unlike a few of its peer institutions) doesn't give out merit aid. There's absolutely no way that we could have an 88% yield with Geffens and other funding sources out there.

I can also confirm that those were the numbers they gave during my application cycle. I doubt they've changed significantly in a few years, though, so they should still be accurate.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To echo the poster above me - keep in mind that UCSF (unlike a few of its peer institutions) doesn't give out merit aid. There's absolutely no way that we could have an 88% yield with Geffens and other funding sources out there

I can also confirm that those were the numbers they gave during my application cycle. I doubt they've changed significantly in a few years, though, so they should still be accurate.

Ah, I had not accounted for that. Thanks for clarifying.

Can you share the prompts?Thanks
Mstp essays in addition to the MD only:

Please describe your most recent research project, its importance and how it captured your interest. (500 words)

Describe honors, publications, etc (500 words)

Describe your reasons for applying to UCSF's mstp. (250 words)

Mstp essays in addition to the MD only:

Please describe your most recent research project, its importance and how it captured your interest. (500 words)

Describe honors, publications, etc (500 words)

Describe your reasons for applying to UCSF's mstp. (250 words)
Thanks. Are you saying you just got those for MSTP application, or for MSTP your received these prompts in addition to the prompts for MD?

Thanks. Are you saying you just got those for MSTP application, or for MSTP your received these prompts in addition to the prompts for MD?
Those are prompts only for mstp applicants so md peeps won't have those

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this for their MD program? Can you share the prompts? Thanks.

Yeah for regular MD

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

If you are 2017 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree (350 words)

is anyone having an issue saving their personal info page on the secondary app?

secondary received! VA resident, plain old vanilla MD applicant

for people that have received the secondary -- when was your AMCAS verified?

Anyone have thoughts on how to approach this Q on the secondary: "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below." (500 words)

Is this meant to expand on work/activities if there are other things that didn't fit in or function as an update (in the month or so since you submitted a primary)? Any insight is much appreciated!

Anyone have thoughts on how to approach this Q on the secondary: "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below." (500 words)

Is this meant to expand on work/activities if there are other things that didn't fit in or function as an update (in the month or so since you submitted a primary)? Any insight is much appreciated!

I was going to use that prompt to update them on my gap year plans (that is, if I ever get their secondary... :rolleyes:).

Reactions: 1 user
for people that have received the secondary -- when was your AMCAS verified?

6/27

I'm not sure if I did it right, but I used it as a way to lead into my diversity statement that is strongly tied to one of my activities. I finished it off with an update of a new activity I recently started.

I used the second essay to tell them what I've been doing since graduating (work and volunteer stuff).

Anyone know if some UCs review LORs before sending out secondaries? My committee packet is taking a while to get through... I received UCI and UCR secondaries though

Anyone know if some UCs review LORs before sending out secondaries? My committee packet is taking a while to get through... I received UCI and UCR secondaries though

I got UCSF and UCLA secondaries without having any LORs in!

Also received secondary

EDIT: Im OOS

Last edited:
Just received and submitted the secondary tonight. In state, 3.62 GPA, 519 MCAT, good ECs. Primary processing was complete June 28th.

I know this is all just speculation, but should I have any hope for an II? My GPA gives me little to none.

Your GPA is right below the 10th percentile (3.64) and MCAT above the median. There is hope. Also it seems about a fifth of the people who receive the secondary get an interview, so your chances are good!

Allow me to elabotate. I am wondering if anyone reached out to the office to ask specifically, but I do appreciate your sass.

FWIW i was accepted this past cycle, and I had 6 letters, though they were sent as one committee packet

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is the consensus that leaving this box blank is ok?

Is the consensus that leaving this box blank is ok?

Based on advice I heard from a UCSF student, if you don't have anything truly important to write, it's better to leave it blank.

Reactions: 3 users
MSTP applicant still waiting on the secondary. This is making me insane and giving me a headache. Making me really doubt my entire application if I don't even get a secondary from here :(

MSTP applicant still waiting on the secondary. This is making me insane and giving me a headache. Making me really doubt my entire application if I don't even get a secondary from here :(
Same here. still waiting on the secondary. I was wondering if their prescreening process requires our recommendation letters.

did somebody say UCSF has a non-stats based screen? and they really only give 2500 secondaries out of 7000 applicants?

did somebody say UCSF has a non-stats based screen? and they really only give 2500 secondaries out of 7000 applicants?

Yes, someone posted that they send ~2500 secondaries and interview ~500 (it's on the top of this page).

And yes someone also described UCSF's screen as non stats based. But by that I think they meant that it's not ONLY about stats. I think they meant that the admissions committee look at your entire app, stats included. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Any re-applicants receive the UCSF secondary? I am wondering if my status as a re-applicant auto-screened me out as the rest of my application is competitive.