2017-2018 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can we assume rejection if we haven't received a secondary or is it still too early?
No No No. Christ, man. Have some chill.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Can you share the MSTP prompts? Thanks

Bruh, you need to chill. You're blowing up several threads constantly asking for the secondary prompts.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• 1se41a.jpg
    1se41a.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: 5 users
got the secondary! mstp applicant here

Reactions: 1 user
mstp essays for those interested:
1. Please describe your most recent research project, its importance and how it captured your interest (500 word limit).
2. Please list publications, honors and presentations resulting from your research experiences (500 word limit).
3. Please briefly describe your reasons for applying to the UCSF MSTP (250 word limit).

Just received the secondary. Will you fill out the space with opportunity to expand on your activities? I don't feel the need but always hesitate to leave space blank.

Last edited:
Just received the secondary (3.62, 514, excellent EC's). Will you fill out the space with opportunity to expand on your activities? I feel the need but always hesitate to leave space blank.
If you have something to add then fill it out. I left it blank.

Members don't see this ad :)
mstp essays for those interested:
1. Please describe your most recent research project, its importance and how it captured your interest (500 word limit).
2. Please list publications, honors and presentations resulting from your research experiences (500 word limit).
3. Please briefly describe your reasons for applying to the UCSF MSTP (250 word limit).
Greatly appreciated!

Just received the secondary (3.62, 514, excellent EC's). Will you fill out the space with opportunity to expand on your activities? I don't feel the need but always hesitate to leave space blank.

You will not be penalized for leaving the space blank (as in, plenty of people who write nothing are interviewed/accepted). Personally, I'd think you're better off not writing an essay than trying to make something up, but that's just how I approached the secondary.

Is anyone interested in applying for the PRIME program? I'm thinking about applying for it because urban health is something i'm really interested in...but if I don't get in the PRIME program, will that mean I won't get into the MD program either? does anyone know how this works?

Generally, you get accepted into the regular MD program first before they'll even more carefully look at your app for PRIME since getting into the regular MD is a pre-requisite for PRIME admission. So just to clarify, applying for PRIME doesn't impact your MD decision negatively or positively

MS-2 (PRIME) here, happy to be a resource to those with questions while I have time before school starts again lol

Reactions: 1 users
Generally, you get accepted into the regular MD program first before they'll even more carefully look at your app for PRIME since getting into the regular MD is a pre-requisite for PRIME admission. So just to clarify, applying for PRIME doesn't impact your MD decision negatively or positively

MS-2 (PRIME) here, happy to be a resource to those with questions while I have time before school starts again lol

Do you know what makes the difference between II and post-secondary rejection :')

Do you know what makes the difference between II and post-secondary rejection :')

lol wish I could tell you. That's a secret for the folks on the admissions committee.

Some people leave the secondary prompt blank and that suffices for their app if they don't have anything new to add. If you have any meaningful updates such as starting a new position since submitting your primary, I'd encourage you to use the space as you see fit. I used the space to discuss my service in AmeriCorps (secondary received in Aug/Sept!!) since I technically hadn't started it by the time I submitted my primary in late June.

No secondary yet. Primary submitted on 6/2 and verified on 6/13. OOS mstp applicant. Not in a hurry as I still have many secondaries to finish.

secondary submitted! dream school right here

No secondary yet. Primary submitted on 6/2 and verified on 6/13. OOS mstp applicant. Not in a hurry as I still have many secondaries to finish.

I'm waiting, too ...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Submitted secondary!

Does anybody know UCSF's view of health committee letters?

I have my individual letters ready in Interfolio, but my health committee letter (with all my individual letters attached) will not be ready until August. Unsure if I should just submit my individual letters to UCSF (which will meet their requirements) or wait because my letters might be significantly stronger attached to a HCL.

Submitted secondary!

Does anybody know UCSF's view of health committee letters?

I have my individual letters ready in Interfolio, but my health committee letter (with all my individual letters attached) will not be ready until August. Unsure if I should just submit my individual letters to UCSF (which will meet their requirements) or wait because my letters might be significantly stronger attached to a HCL.

I'd wait as you'll still be very early in August and you want the strongest application possible while still being as early as reasonable.

IS MSTP applicant, just got the secondary! :)

MSTP - Got the secondary an hour ago.

It's like UCLA where they don't favor it but somehow it turns out that there is more CA matriculants anyways due to factors outside of admissions..
if there any consensus on what it means if I haven't received a secondary yet?

if there any consensus on what it means if I haven't received a secondary yet?

best way to read the minds of adcoms at UCSF specifically is to read last year's thread...which I did... secondaries were being sent throughout the whole app cycle alongside rejection decisions, interview invites, and acceptances. Everyone was at different stages throughout the whole cycle, 'twas a mess.

So this is what everyone in previous years meant when they talked about the agonizing waiting time and suggested for others to do something healthy in the meanwhile lol.

edit: football season is coming up so im already doing some OTAs and training camp for the regular season ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
It's like UCLA where they don't favor it but somehow it turns out that there is more CA matriculants anyways due to factors outside of admissions..
i would agree with you. except in the case of mstp admissions where the playing field seems level.
secondary submitted. best of luck to everyone!

I'd wait as you'll still be very early in August and you want the strongest application possible while still being as early as reasonable.
personally i think that strong letters are just that, strong regardless of whether they are attached to a health committee letter.
unless you have seen examples of your school's health committee letters and believe that they substantially add to the strength of your application, i would say just submit if you are ready.
but if you want to wait, i dont think that would hurt (based on the secondary completion dates listed in the mstp thread for ucsf and the corresponding II and actual interview dates).

If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your primary?

i've been waiting anxiously to hear back from them...:D
have you gotten your secondary yet? i submitted 6/1 but didn't get verified til 6/23. received UCSF's secondary earlier this week and submitted today.

have you gotten your secondary yet? i submitted 6/1 but didn't get verified til 6/23. received UCSF's secondary earlier this week and submitted today.
I have not :(

I submitted 6/12, verified 6/30, MSTP applicant, Lizzy M 78

This school is the top choice for me and this is making me sad haha :(

I have not :(

I submitted 6/12, verified 6/30, MSTP applicant, Lizzy M 78

This school is the top choice for me and this is making me sad haha :(
i wouldn't worry too much yet :) according to a previous mstp thread, there were people completing their ucsf secondary as late as september so you still have time to receive yours.
are you OOS?

i wouldn't worry too much yet :) according to a previous mstp thread, there were people completing their ucsf secondary as late as september so you still have time to receive yours.
are you OOS?
IS. Fingers crossed haha

Secondary received this evening, sent primary on 7/8, OOS

best way to read the minds of adcoms at UCSF specifically is to read last year's thread...which I did... secondaries were being sent throughout the whole app cycle alongside rejection decisions, interview invites, and acceptances. Everyone was at different stages throughout the whole cycle, 'twas a mess.

So this is what everyone in previous years meant when they talk about the agonizing waiting time and suggesting for others to do something healthy in the meantime lol.

edit: football season is coming up so im already doing some OTAs and training camp for the regular season ;)
Dude, I love literally all of your comments. Also, I admire the way you throw the pigskin.

For what it's worth, I didn't get a secondary today. OOS, LizzyM 74.

Dude, I love literally all of your comments. Also, I admire the way you throw the pigskin.

For what it's worth, I didn't get a secondary today. OOS, LizzyM 74.

much appreciated! :p come over to wisconsin sometimes, i'll give you the game ball

Anyone have any approximate numbers on how many apply, how many get secondaries, and how many interivew?
on a previous year's thread i recall seeing these numbers:

(from a current student's report based on what was said during interview day)
~7,000 applications
~2,500 secondaries
~ 500 interviews
~ 270 acceptances

--
the number of acceptances seems too high considering that the enrolled class is usually ~150/yr
I would think the number of acceptances was likely more like ~170

other stats from the mstp page on UCSF's own site:

AMCAS applications indicating MSTP: 635
Secondary applications: 522
Interviewed: 60
Matriculated: 11