2017-2018 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw this too. This is another reason I was so shocked that they sent me one.

I think we all have to remember that the MSAR is a compilation of last year's data, so we can only use it as a guideline at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
I think we all have to remember that the MSAR is a compilation of last year's data, so we can only use it as a guideline at this point.
That's true for information about last year's class, but information about when IIs and acceptances come out is for this current cycle since the dates are for this year.

That's true for information about last year's class, but information about when IIs and acceptances come out is for this current cycle since the dates are for this year.

Good point! Although it sounds like many of the schools are basing that on last year, so they may actually change their policies for this year. I figure it's a good guideline, but I've heard of a few people who have gotten interviews before they expected to.

Reactions: 1 users
I saw this too. This is another reason I was so shocked that they sent me one.

I'm certainly not calling you a liar for reporting your II. But you can't really blame others for questioning the validity of posts claiming interview invites considering the significant amount of trolling lately.

I'm certainly not calling you a liar for reporting your II. But you can't really blame others for questioning the validity of posts claiming interview invites considering the significant amount of trolling lately.

I don't blame you for questioning. As I've said, even I am surprised. However, I do have an interview scheduled in September and, like everyone else, I'm just hoping for the best. It's up to you to decide if you want to believe me or not. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself.

Reactions: 3 users
II yesterday! Makes n=2 to hopefully convince people it's true. LizzyM 77, IS, ORM, decent research experience.

Edit: complete 7/11

Reactions: 4 users
People already getting II and I keep F5ing my email to see if I'll get a secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
haha he means it in the sense of a sample size. Two cases of interviews is an n=2. three interviews would be n=3. Idea being the larger a sample size the more generalizable it is. Of course in this case it's more of a funny stats reference than useful.

People already getting II and I keep F5ing my email to see if I'll get a secondary

Same :( I know friends with similar stats and ECs to me who got a secondary weeks ago. I'm about to give up hope.

Don't worry. UCSF actually reads the primary applications, that's why it takes them so long to extend secondaries/interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't worry. UCSF actually reads the primary applications, that's why it takes them so long to extend secondaries/interviews.

Do you (or anyone) know if they look at LOR's when deciding who to send a secondary to?

I think this may have been previously asked, and I'm assuming maybe the numbers are not made public, but does anyone know approximately how many secondaries UCSF extends relative to the entire applicant pool?

And if it's of any help to anyone, I added UCSF 7/20; received secondary 8/7. LizzyM 74. OOS. Regular MD. Research definitely wasn't the highlight of my app (an arts major), but I do have some experience.

Do you (or anyone) know if they look at LOR's when deciding who to send a secondary to?

Someone in the office told me to send mine in and I got a secondary within 2 hours. I'm not sure if it is a coincidence but it might help (unless your LORs are bad)

Secondary just received!!! So stoked/surprised about this because I was 100% ready for this rejection.
OOS. Primary sent to them 7/19.

Someone in the office told me to send mine in and I got a secondary within 2 hours. I'm not sure if it is a coincidence but it might help (unless your LORs are bad)

I got a secondary before submitting LORs, but maybe it could help?

LORs aren't needed for screening. But maybe they'll consider them if they're already in.

I attended their admission workshop a few months ago. As far as I can remember, they said they look at LOR's only after you submit your secondary. But they look at your activities, grades, and PS before they send extend secondary applications.

Is there historical data on how many of the ~8000 applicants receive secondaries? Sorry if this question has been asked.

Is there historical data on how many of the ~8000 applicants receive secondaries? Sorry if this question has been asked.
I think it's around 2500.

II received today. LizzyM 71. so pumped. definitely my dream school.

Reactions: 5 users
I think it's around 2500.

Thanks for the response! Source though?
I think on their website they have the MSTP numbers, but I couldn't find the numbers for MD only.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks for the response! Source though?
I think on their website they have the MSTP numbers, but I couldn't find the numbers for MD only.

Correct me if I'm wrong!
I think US news has the numbers if you pay. I saw it on Reddit.

Anyone know how UCSF goes about screening between secondary and II? I just got my secondary and noticed that you technically don't have to write a single essay for it, which means that they potentially just screen you again based on your primary?

Anyone know how UCSF goes about screening between secondary and II? I just got my secondary and noticed that you technically don't have to write a single essay for it, which means that they potentially just screen you again based on your primary?
That plus LORs I think. They probably take a more in depth review of our primaries though

I can imagine how hard it would be to review our primaries again more in depth... What percentage of those who submitted secondaries is selected for the interviews?

I can imagine how hard it would be to review our primaries again more in depth... What percentage of those who submitted secondaries is selected for the interviews?
I thought I'd read somewhere that the numbers go something like 8000 (primary) -> 2500 (secondary) -> 500 (II) -> ~200 (accept)

Based on last year, 500 out of 2500 are interviewed.

are they done sending out secondaries? I didn't get one