2017-2018 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this for MSTP? Can you share the prompts? Thanks
No, I'm an MD only applicant. there were two optional prompts;

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below.

If you are 2017 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
If helpful: Decided to apply and submitted primary July 10th. Received secondary July 18th.

Reactions: 1 user
Those receiving the secondary--are you all MSTP or some MD only?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received and submitted last week! Wanted to join the fun

Got a secondary today...which totally surprised me, since I have a ~3.6 gpa and 510 on the MCAT. Makes more sense now that I read that their primary screening process is not just stats based!

Got a secondary today...which totally surprised me, since I have a ~3.6 gpa and 510 on the MCAT. Makes more sense now that I read that their primary screening process is not just stats based!
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were verified? :)

Feel free to PM me questions. MS4 here. Don't know much about the new preclinical curriculum that started 1-2 years ago but can answer questions about clinical rotations, the culture here, etc.

"I am arranging for the submission of letters of recommendation through the AMCAS Letter Service. I verify that I am submitting the minimum of three letters of recommendation, at least two of which are from instructors." I have a committee letter and I don't know exactly what is in it. Is this an issue?

Checking in. I have not submitted my primary yet...

Last edited:
"I am arranging for the submission of letters of recommendation through the AMCAS Letter Service. I verify that I am submitting the minimum of three letters of recommendation, at least two of which are from instructors." I have a committee letter and I don't know exactly what is in it. Is this an issue?

For anyone who was wondering this also, I got in touch with UCSF and they said that committee letters are fine.
best of luck everyone!

For anyone who was wondering this also, I got in touch with UCSF and they said that committee letters are fine.
best of luck everyone!

Committee letters are fine anywhere in the country unless I am mistaken.

For clarification: did you mean the "update on activities" box or something else? Thanks!
I was referring to the "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below" prompt.

Any re-applicants receive the UCSF secondary? I am wondering if my status as a re-applicant auto-screened me out as the rest of my application is competitive.

I was on the alternate list from last cycle and received a secondary this cycle

I was on the alternate list from last cycle and received a secondary this cycle
Well I definitely never made it as far as you did to the alternate list. But thanks for the response! Hopefully UCSF shows me some love...

Just got an invitation for a secondary! Super excited as I was almost positive that I got screened out after waiting this long!

SECONDARY RECIEVED <3 thought i was dead in the water with my 511

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary Received. Verified in mid June.
512 MCAT / CA resident. Submitted immediately.

Last edited:
Aight if UCSF stopped screening I'm going ballistic.

Ah, mine's 3.7 but was hoping the fact I am finishing my PhD would help with them being research-heavy
I wouldn't be too worried. I posted that only a few hours after receiving the invite so they are definitely still sending secondaries out!

Does anyone know how screening is done for the MSTP applicants?

Verified second week of July, but still nada :(

Does anyone know how screening is done for the MSTP applicants?
not sure about if there is a difference in terms of the characteristics that they're looking for when screening mstp applicants. but i'm applying mstp and LizzyM ~71, verified in 6/23, received secondary 7/12. ~4000 research hrs, 5 pubs on primary.

For MD, if it has been three weeks since verification and I have not gotten a secondary, can I safely assume I am not getting one? LizzyM > 75, but no pubs. (Forgive me for my panicking.)

Edit: Ask and you shall receive lol.

Last edited: