2017-2018 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They are the only school that didn't get back to me, event though I am in an in state. Only received a secondary for the accelerated Primary Care. Also just updated them about my new MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

They are the only school that didn't get back to me, event though I am in an in state. Only received a secondary for the accelerated Primary Care. Also just updated them about my new MCAT.

I am in the same boat :/

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an email II for Nov 3 with an invite to the Thursday Nov 2 extra for DO/PhD dual degree. The portal says I've been selected for an interview but the text weirdly says for the class of 2016. Is this normal?

Looks like they've gotten to you a couple years late, but I'm pretty sure it's normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those who are in-state, have submitted secondaries, and haven't heard back, I'm curious as to what your stats are, if you don't mind.

I just got an email II for Nov 3 with an invite to the Thursday Nov 2 extra for DO/PhD dual degree. The portal says I've been selected for an interview but the text weirdly says for the class of 2016. Is this normal?

My portal also says 2016 haha

3.7c, 3.6s 500-505 mcat, tons of clinical experience, over 5000h, and one international mission

yes, i have both shadowing a DO, and a letter from from him

Those who are in-state, have submitted secondaries, and haven't heard back, I'm curious as to what your stats are, if you don't mind.
I'm not sure how they do it, but I think I should have a great chance of getting into OUHCOM and nothing yet. I don't think timing of II correlates to their interest in applicants.

I'm not sure how they do it, but I think I should have a great chance of getting into OUHCOM and nothing yet. I don't think timing of II correlates to their interest in applicants.

I'm definitely curious because there are some with interviews with stats lower than those who've posted.

yeah, I'm wondering that too. What are they looking for in a potential candidate, besides strong ties to Ohio and strong stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, how long did it take for your page to switch to "complete and under review"? Mine has said "Thank you for submitting your application" for a good while now, though they've checked off all my LORs.

Just curious, how long did it take for your page to switch to "complete and under review"? Mine has said "Thank you for submitting your application" for a good while now, though they've checked off all my LORs.
Mine says thank you for submitting for a while now, and they have all the information and letters.

Mine says thank you for submitting for a while now, and they have all the information and letters.
I emailed them yesterday and they said they are trying to work through uploading everyone's applications. I submitted a little over a month ago and my status still did not change to complete. They just said to be patient and to keep checking the portal to see when I am complete. Once it is complete it moves to the review committee!

For reference, I submitted my secondary 10/2 and was complete within the week. I received an II on 10/24. I think it helps to call their office rather than email. Jill is extremely helpful!

For reference, I submitted my secondary 10/2 and was complete within the week. I received an II on 10/24. I think it helps to call their office rather than email. Jill is extremely helpful!
I was complete back in August, still nothing. I emailed them abbot me new MCAT but didn't get a response back.

I second that! i called jill after not being complete for over 5 weeks, she got my letters up, I asked when my app would be reviewed and i got that II here soon there after. Also they said that ~1/2 the class is filled by December so don't worry yet, unlike other schools who dont give a **** n will fill the class before december! Remember, the process isnt linear so a 3.5/508 IS could get an II in like feb here and a 3.2 492 OOS could get one tm. We will all be fine and I hope to see yall at summer orientation!

Reactions: 3 users
I got the call at 10 am this morning that I am into the Athens campus! Could not be more thrilled! This was my first choice school and the interview was an amazing experience!

Reactions: 6 users
Really frustrated that I have heard nothing from OUHCOM been complete for a while now :( I am instate and I have 8 interviews at other DO schools and nothing from my state school :( I have called several times and no word, def complete before others who are getting II so getting worried now :(
Same here

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the interview? This is my first one and it's my top choice. I've done 3 mock interviews but I'm not sure how else to prepare.

I posted on here a little while back asking about when people got interviews so I thought I would share that I received my interview on 10/18 and interviewed on 10/27 so don't lose hope! I haven't heard back on my decision yet but I didn't think my interviews went very well so i'm not really expecting good news tomorrow. As a lot of people have already said, the interview day is pretty relaxed and everyone is very nice. So if you have an interview coming up I wouldn't stress out about it like i did hahaha

Accepted as of 9 a.m. into the Cleveland Campus!!

I posted on here a little while back asking about when people got interviews so I thought I would share that I received my interview on 10/18 and interviewed on 10/27 so don't lose hope! I haven't heard back on my decision yet but I didn't think my interviews went very well so i'm not really expecting good news tomorrow. As a lot of people have already said, the interview day is pretty relaxed and everyone is very nice. So if you have an interview coming up I wouldn't stress out about it like i did hahaha

I am sure it went better than you thought! Although I do not know your actual identity, it seemed everyone in our group on 10/27 was a great candidate. Did you hear your decision yet?

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the interview?
I just interviewed 10/27 and the best advise I got was just to relax and be yourself. The interviewers I had were fantastic and we had great conversations. Good luck!

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the interview? This is my first one and it's my top choice. I've done 3 mock interviews but I'm not sure how else to prepare.

I also interviewed on 10/27 and OU was my first choice. I was so very fortunate to receive acceptance! As everyone else has said, it is the most relaxed interview I have ever been a part of. I prepared for my interview my writing down possible questions and answers, but they did not ask me any "interview questions." I would say to prep just re-read your application. They just wanted to get to know me as a person. We talked a lot about my research and medical mission work. Only prep tip I actually have is to prepare a list of questions to ask the interviewers. One of the three interviews I had, we spent over half the time with me asking questions and then discussing that question for 5 minutes. It is seriously just a conversation between two people. There is 0 reason to be nervous. Just talk and let your personality shine through and you'll have good news in your inbox the Monday after :) good luck! You'll do great!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted as of 9 a.m this morning!! I guess my interviews went better than I thought hahah. Really excited to apart of the OU-HCOM family

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys, new to this page. I just got an interview invite a week ago for Nov. 17 and was wondering if you guys have any advice going into it. This will be my first interview, and OU-HSOM is my number 1 school choice, so I'm a bit nervous. Also is it me or has the majority of the people on here that have received interviews also gotten accepted?

Reactions: 1 users
Completed 8/19, 3.5, 501, years of clinical experience, IS, and strong letters of recommendation, really down I haven't received an interview invite yet. Is there anyone else with similar stats that has received an interview? Only holes in my app is that I haven't shadowed a DO. Is there a pre-screen for interviews my app doesn't make?

Completed 8/19, 3.5, 501, years of clinical experience, IS, and strong letters of recommendation, really down I haven't received an interview invite yet. Is there anyone else with similar stats that has received an interview? Only holes in my app is that I haven't shadowed a DO. Is there a pre-screen for interviews my app doesn't make?
OU-HCOM seems to really value a D.O. Rec letter

At what point should I give up on this school? radio

Having a DO letter is so difficult in the area I am in. There is a huge waiting list to shadow a DO, you don't get many hours with them, and I feel like they don't get to know you well enough to write a decent letter other than checking off that box for having a DO letter. The other DOs in the area are either related to or work with a family member of mine and I see that as a conflict of interest. I only have MD letter (that MD i was able to shadow for a sig. amount of time ) but have shadowed several DO physicians.

I really hope OUHCOM would consider an applicant that has taken the time to seek out and shadow several DO physicians in multiple specialties...but had an MD letter
I wouldn't give up until the cycle is over. Sure that sounds like a long and daunting process but the only thing you'll be wasting is time and times going to pass anyway. In terms of the letter, I'm not sure there is anything you can do about the letter. It's unfortunate that it's hard to get a letter in your area but keep pushing!

Hello! I would not give up hope yet. I was interviewed and accepted with a 500 and 3.73 cumulative and 3.5 science. I also had tons of clinical experience, much of which was with DOs. I worked internationally, had letters of rec from a DO and MD, research experience, founded a medical mission trip group on campus, worked multiple jobs including full time scribe. You never know what attracts them to your application. All of the students I spoke with on interview day did not interview until December or January and interviews are only offered a week and a half prior to. Do not worry yet. It is still so very early!

Hey guys, new to this page. I just got an interview invite a week ago for Nov. 17 and was wondering if you guys have any advice going into it. This will be my first interview, and OU-HSOM is my number 1 school choice, so I'm a bit nervous. Also is it me or has the majority of the people on here that have received interviews also gotten accepted?
Only advice I have like other people on here is be yourself. It is very relaxed and they just want to get to know you! Super low pressure and very conversational. Good luck!

At what point should I give up on this school? radio

Having a DO letter is so difficult in the area I am in. There is a huge waiting list to shadow a DO, you don't get many hours with them, and I feel like they don't get to know you well enough to write a decent letter other than checking off that box for having a DO letter. The other DOs in the area are either related to or work with a family member of mine and I see that as a conflict of interest. I only have MD letter (that MD i was able to shadow for a sig. amount of time ) but have shadowed several DO physicians.

I really hope OUHCOM would consider an applicant that has taken the time to seek out and shadow several DO physicians in multiple specialties...but had an MD letter
I wouldn’t see that as a conflict of interest. If you can get in to shadow a DO and get to know them I would certainly ask them to write you a letter. From what I’ve seen, most people have an “in” through the physicians they shadow. I certainly did.

Accepted! I interviewed today and got the call at 6:30! Beyond ecstatic.

Congrats! Seems like a great place to study. Also seems like you have the chops for MD or DO. Mind PM-ing your thoughts behind going all out DO?

Ahhhh what number did they call you from??? I had a phone call from the new franklin area at 6:25 but it wasn't from Athens so I didn't think it was them and I was driving home

Ahhhh what number did they call you from??? I had a phone call from the new franklin area at 6:25 but it wasn't from Athens so I didn't think it was them and I was driving home
It was a 740 number that said Athens, OH on my iphone.

At least you had an interview date... I have been complete forever and no II :(
Honestly, don't stress about that. They just started interviewing in mid-September. They only gave me a week's notice and I think they interviewed me a bit earlier than they would have because I was interested in research. Keep the faith <3

I got accepted this morning to Athens as well! Just posting on here to let everyone know that just because someone is called on Friday after the interview rounds doesn't mean you won't get accepted Monday via e-mail :) I was really upset all weekend and thought I got waitlisted because of it.

Reactions: 7 users
I was just wondering but does anyone know the interview vs. Acceptance rate?

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I am an incoming 1st year, starting in a few weeks, who will be attending the Dublin Campus. If anyone has questions throughout the cycle I am more than willing to help you out.
I recently talked to the admissions office at a conference attended and the school sounded really great, they made me want to attend there for medical school. Can you talk about your process and how you were able to get in i.e. cGPA, sGPA, EC, MCAT. Also what type of surgery opportunities there are.

I recently talked to the admissions office at a conference attended and the school sounded really great, they made me want to attend there for medical school. Can you talk about your process and how you were able to get in i.e. cGPA, sGPA, EC, MCAT. Also what type of surgery opportunities there are.
I applied early in the cycle and didn't interview until April for OU-HCOM. I had been accepted to a few different Osteopathic schools prior in the cycle, but OU-HCOM-Dublin was my first choice school since I grew up in Columbus. As far as stats if you have a 3.5 GPA and up with a 500+ MCAT you have a chance. The lower your stats are the longer you may wait for an interview, but don't give up hope. They also take a lot of students from the waitlist every year. I can't really speak to any specific surgery opportunities since I am just a first year, but if you go to this link you can look at the match lists for the past few years. Match Results

Reactions: 1 users