2017-2018 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hoping for some IS love :luck:

Good luck to everybody!

Hello everyone. I am an incoming 1st year, starting in a few weeks, who will be attending the Dublin Campus. If anyone has questions throughout the cycle I am more than willing to help you out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email saying that they're beginning to process primaries!

^got that email, as well! hoping to get more promising emails later on:)

Hello everyone. I am an incoming 1st year, starting in a few weeks, who will be attending the Dublin Campus. If anyone has questions throughout the cycle I am more than willing to help you out.

Is it worth applying here if you're out of state?

Is there a large difference between the campuses in regards to their curriculum and rotations offered?

Is there a large difference between the campuses in regards to their curriculum and rotations offered?

98%+ are IS, so the odds are heavily against you. With that said, if you're an above average applicant you could get some love if you have ties to the state.

There is no difference in curriculum as we're ONE class separated into 3 campuses following the same exact curriculum.

Hope that helps.

There is a huge instate bias at OU-HCOM, but out of state students do get accepted. I believe there is a contract that you have to sign saying that you will practice medicine in Ohio for 5 years though. As far as the curriculum it is identical. All 3 campuses listen to the same lectures at the same time. They are all interconnected.

It's the same as last year's:

Required Essay:
"Please upload a Word or PDF document describing why you wish to become an osteopathic physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine; and any additional information you feel the selection committee should know about you. Please format your essay as single-spaced with a font-size no less than 10 pt or greater than 12 pt. Please clearly identify at the top right corner of the page your name and the title of the essay being submitted (e.g. Required Personal Statement or Dublin Campus Statement)"

Campus Essays:
An additional campus essay is required if you ranked the Dublin or Cleveland campus in the "Enrollment Questions" section on the "My Profile" tab
Dublin Campus Statement
"Please upload a Word or PDF document detailing essay detailing your interest in studying and training in central Ohio; desire for primary care medicine; and intent to remain in central Ohio for practice. Please format your essay as single-spaced with a font-size no less than 10 pt or greater than 12 pt. Please clearly identify at the top right corner of the page your name and the title of the essay being submitted (e.g. Required Personal Statement or Dublin Campus Statement)"

Cleveland Campus Statement
"Please upload a Word or PDF document detailing essay detailing your interest in studying and training in northeast Ohio; desire for primary care medicine; and intent to remain in northeast Ohio for practice. Please format your essay as single-spaced with a font-size no less than 10 pt or greater than 12 pt. Please clearly identify at the top right corner of the page your name and the title of the essay being submitted (e.g. Required Personal Statement or Cleveland Campus Statement)"

Reactions: 1 user
I just got mine today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my secondary today!! OUHCOM is my first choice.

Does anyone know if it is easier/harder to get into this school depending on which campus you prefer? If I rank Cleveland and Dublin #2 or #3, do I still need to fill out the corresponding essay?

Edit: See above (duplicate message)

Just got my secondary today!! OUHCOM is my first choice.

Does anyone know if it is easier/harder to get into this school depending on which campus you prefer? If I rank Cleveland and Dublin #2 or #3, do I still need to fill out the corresponding essay?
I would suggest only ranking Cleveland or Dublin if you have ties to those areas. Family, went to school in the area or grew up in that area

I would suggest only ranking Cleveland or Dublin if you have ties to those areas. Family, went to school in the area or grew up in that area
I grew up in Cleveland and went to college in Columbus. However my states are below average and I feel Cleveland/Dublin would be slightly more competitive than Athens. Do you know if that is true?

I grew up in Cleveland and went to college in Columbus. However my states are below average and I feel Cleveland/Dublin would be slightly more competitive than Athens. Do you know if that is true?
My MCAT was slightly below average and I got into Dublin. Stats get you the interview and then from there its about your experiences and how the interviewers think you fit in at their school. If I were you I would rank all 3 with either Dublin or Cleveland #1, Athens #2 and then the remaining campus #3. In this case you would have to do the essays for both Dublin and Cleveland. Also heads up every person who receives an interview invite is interviewed in Athens. I was not aware of this. I think in some cases there are Skype interviews for the Cleveland campus, but I am not positive.

Is anyone using a fee waiver? I finished the secondary but it said to email them a copy of your AACOMAS waiver before submitting. I emailed them but they haven't responded and there's no option I see to get past submitting without entering a credit card.

got my secondary but not sure how to rank them... my permanent residence in Cleveland, went to school and currently live in Columbus

Hi prospective OU-HCOM students! I wanted to share that our Admissions Office recently launched its Facebook page to keep you all updated on the latest information, news, and events of our Admissions Office! You can also send us direct messages with your admissions questions! Follow us @ouhcomadmissions (OU-HCOM Admissions)

Best of luck during this application cycle!

Im having a hard time finding a do to shadow. Anyone else have any luck?

How did you find a DO to shadow?

got the secondary today and submitted it immediately....hope I can get an interview in August!

How did you find a DO to shadow?
Best way is to reach out to as many offices as you can and hope that someone will give you the chance to shadow. Call the office and leave your contact info. If you are persistent then you might get an email back from a DO.

My permanent residence is in Cleveland and I went to school and currently live in Columbus. Would it be beneficial to rank the campuses? Or should I just do the required essay and let it be up to the admissions committee to decide?

My permanent residence is in Cleveland and I went to school and currently live in Columbus. Would it be beneficial to rank the campuses? Or should I just do the required essay and let it be up to the admissions committee to decide?
You should rank them based on where you believe you would be the happiest.

I finished the two essays for OUHCOM, and I tried to upload them (Word file) but I keep getting the message:
"Error:
Please upload all required documents"

I have no idea why...

I finished the two essays for OUHCOM, and I tried to upload them (Word file) but I keep getting the message:
"Error:
Please upload all required documents"

I have no idea why...

By two essays you mean the required and one of the campus ones right? I was getting the same error at first. If you ranked Dublin or Cleveland at all under your profile (even if you ranked one of them as 3) then it makes you submit the additional essay for that campus. So you can just unrank one of them and then you should be good!

By two essays you mean the required and one of the campus ones right? I was getting the same error at first. If you ranked Dublin or Cleveland at all under your profile (even if you ranked one of them as 3) then it makes you submit the additional essay for that campus. So you can just unrank one of them and then you should be good!

I only have Cleveland ranked and the other two as 'no preference', but I'm still getting that error message... :(

I only have Cleveland ranked and the other two as 'no preference', but I'm still getting that error message... :(

After you browse for/upload your files, are you pressing the Upload File button? Because you have to do that in addition to just uploading the file.

If that's not the issue then I'm not sure and your best bet would probably be contacting them!

After you browse for/upload your files, are you pressing the Upload File button? Because you have to do that in addition to just uploading the file.

If that's not the issue then I'm not sure and your best bet would probably be contacting them!

Thank you, I got the problem fixed! :D

when is the earliest OUHCOM interviews? i was hoping to get an interview in august

What's the biggest difference between the 3 campuses besides location?

The only differences between each campus is the number of students in each location. That's the only difference. We are one class and receive the same lectures everyday!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any idea when II started going out last year?

Dublin and Cleveland get guaranteed clinical rotations in their respective cities/ surrounding areas. In Athens you can get placed across the state. Also the dress code "business causal" in Athens seems to be more relaxed than Dublin for sure and I believe Cleveland as well. The facilities differ with Dublin and Cleveland being newer than Athens, but they are in the works of planning to build new medical school buildings in Athens. As far as pre-clinical education is concerned we are one class as @BoroPreMed92 said.

If I'm an in-state resident of Ohio, do I need to sign the contract? The application won't let me submit unless I upload the out-of-state contract. Is there anyway to bypass this requirement if I'm instate?

If I'm an in-state resident of Ohio, do I need to sign the contract? The application won't let me submit unless I upload the out-of-state contract. Is there anyway to bypass this requirement if I'm instate?
i dont remember signing any contract when i sent in my secondary....maybe im forgetting its been like 2 weeks

Last edited:

I'm IS and I did not submit any contract. Maybe call admissions?

I'm IS and I did not submit any contract. Maybe call admissions?
Thanks I called, and figured out I needed to change my permanent address. I was using my parent's out-of-state address for the permanent one. It's fixed now

Hey everyone, I am a current student at OUHCOM and went through this process last year. If you have any questions about anything, please post them on the board and I can help out as much as I can (please remember there is an Honor code I must follow, so no asking for answers!)

Just an fyi to OOS applicants, there were 19 of us that were OOS and got for the class of 2021.

Hey everyone, I am a current student at OUHCOM and went through this process last year. If you have any questions about anything, please post them on the board and I can help out as much as I can (please remember there is an Honor code I must follow, so no asking for answers!)

Just an fyi to OOS applicants, there were 19 of us that were OOS and got for the class of 2021.
Thanks for the info! Which campus are you at? How does the video screening go for lecture...is it actually 50% live from athens, 25% from cle, 25% from dublin? And do you like or dislike not having live profs for each class?
Thanks!