2017-2018 Mercer University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else tried to schedule a tour at Savannah and not gotten a reply? I have tried twice now with no luck! Starting to think it's me

Hey! I'm a first year student at Savannah, and can help you with this. If you're still looking for a tour, shoot me a message and I'll be more than happy to help you with that. This offer also stands for any other future students out there.

Also, in response to the person asking about the FB group, here it is:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting but I have followed the board for years now. I just wanted to let everyone that is waiting and wondering know that I interviewed in October 17, got waitlisted Feb 23, and got pulled off the waitlist for acceptance on Monday. Two other people were accepted as well on Monday! ( I asked lol) so alot of movement is happening! I've been waiting for this moment for years and I'm just thankful I finally did it! Good luck everyone. I will be at the Macon campus ☺️

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting but I have followed the board for years now. I just wanted to let everyone that is waiting and wondering know that I interviewed in October 17, got waitlisted Feb 23, and got pulled off the waitlist for acceptance on Monday. Two other people were accepted as well on Monday! ( I asked lol) so alot of movement is happening! I've been waiting for this moment for years and I'm just thankful I finally did it! Good luck everyone. I will be at the Macon campus ☺️
Thanks for the hope. I interviewed in Oct as well. Hope more movement is coming!

Reactions: 1 user
Did Mercer's match list have lots of the competitive specialties? I.E. derm, ortho, etc.

Thanks for the hope. I interviewed in Oct as well. Hope more movement is coming!
Well they stated after April 30th then spots will begin to open. I honestly was shocked to get that call this soon. Their may have been more movement before as well. Just not everyone will post. If I can do it, you can do it for sure!!! Good luck to everyone, I hope everyone gets a chance to get in!

Reactions: 1 users
Did Mercer's match list have lots of the competitive specialties? I.E. derm, ortho, etc.

I don't think so, but obv the list posted above is more objective. My opinion, based on nothing but impressions I've gotten here, is that we could be in those specialties but aren't for two main reasons related to this being a very mission-focused "Georgia primary care" school:

1. More students here are genuinely interested in primary care, and that was what helped them get admitted... and that doesn't have to change, and Mercer does its best to nurture that interest.

2. Our clerkships are all centered around primary-care (even neuro is tied up in IM). More effort would than normal would be required to get exposure to some of these other specialties.

I also think we are competitive for them. Our step scores are normal for a US MD school despite lower entry level MCAT. ECs are pretty abundant, and there is adequate opportunity for research (at least for presentations/posters) despite our ranking for NIH funding.

So just to clarify, you think if we want competitive specialties, then we are perfectly able to get them?

So just to clarify, you think if we want competitive specialties, then we are perfectly able to get them?
I think that if you were capable of getting into a competitive specialty by attending another US allo school, you would be perfectly capable of getting into one if you went to Mercer as well.

I don't think so, but obv the list posted above is more objective. My opinion, based on nothing but impressions I've gotten here, is that we could be in those specialties but aren't for two main reasons related to this being a very mission-focused "Georgia primary care" school:

1. More students here are genuinely interested in primary care, and that was what helped them get admitted... and that doesn't have to change, and Mercer does its best to nurture that interest.

2. Our clerkships are all centered around primary-care (even neuro is tied up in IM). More effort would than normal would be required to get exposure to some of these other specialties.

I also think we are competitive for them. Our step scores are normal for a US MD school despite lower entry level MCAT. ECs are pretty abundant, and there is adequate opportunity for research (at least for presentations/posters) despite our ranking for NIH funding.
Do you have any insight if you’re at a disadvantage trying to get a residency outside the Southeast? Seems like a vast majority stay local, but unsure if that’s due to personal preference/alignment with mercer’s mission vs maybe the school not being as well known in other parts of US?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any insight if you’re at a disadvantage trying to get a residency outside the Southeast? Seems like a vast majority stay local, but unsure if that’s due to personal preference/alignment with mercer’s mission vs maybe the school not being as well known in other parts of US?

My understanding is that it is a combination of the two, but I haven't gone through that part so I have no first hand experience. They do push hard for people to stay in Georgia, and a lot of people here seem to genuinely want to stay local. I'm not sure it is a disadvantage to any degree that translates at a practical level (no one seems to have a problem with where they end up)... but I have to believe that our relative "not-knownness" certainly doesn't help in this regard. If you are dying to get out Georgia, you probably would want to look more at MCG or the state's schools where you want to end up.

Just got an email from one of my interviewers saying I got accepted! When will I get the official offer so I can accept it?!?!?

How long do we have to accept or decline waitlist acceptances? I was accepted but have been offered a full scholarship to a DO program, so I am extremely paralyzed with indecision right now lol

How long do we have to accept or decline waitlist acceptances? I was accepted but have been offered a full scholarship to a DO program, so I am extremely paralyzed with indecision right now lol

I believe it's a week, it should say on the email. That's going to be a tough choice! No debt sounds wonderul congrats on everything!

OH MY GOD

I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
If you would choose Mercer over the DO program if money were not an issue, and assuming you are at least honesty considering primary care (as you were accepted DO and Mercer), one thing is to consider is that we have multiple scholarship programs (at least two different ones with numerous spots) that are available to those willing to commit to a primary care track in GA for at least a few years. They are also very, very, available, at least to my understanding, and it might be worthwhile contacting the school here to see if they would give you someone to talk to about that to see just what your chances are for obtaining such (I.e. my guess would be 75% or greater if you wanted it).

Congrats! Was rooting for you. Nothing for me still
Thank you so much!!! If you really want to go to Mercer, send a letter of intent and try to share your interest. I don't think I would have gotten in without doing that.

Reactions: 2 users
Can't wait to meet my awesome classmates for the MUSM class of 2022! Good luck to everyone out there still waiting to hear back!

If you would choose Mercer over the DO program if money were not an issue, and assuming you are at least honesty considering primary care (as you were accepted DO and Mercer), one thing is to consider is that we have multiple scholarship programs (at least two different ones with numerous spots) that are available to those willing to commit to a primary care track in GA for at least a few years. They are also very, very, available, at least to my understanding, and it might be worthwhile contacting the school here to see if they would give you someone to talk to about that to see just what your chances are for obtaining such (I.e. my guess would be 75% or greater if you wanted it).
Yeah, I'm definitely interested in primary care, but the commitment to Georgia specifically does make me nervous since who knows what the future holds. The scholarship opportunity mentioned in the acceptance email entails a 4-year commitment, which is a pretty long time. I'm going to call the school and ask them what my options are. All things equal, I'd go with Mercer, but of course, all things aren't equal right now. I also want to give it a little while to think it through because I feel like I'm a little shocked about the fact that I got in and not thinking completely clearly right now. I was SO sure I wouldn't come off the waitlist and would be going to the DO school since one of my Mercer interviews went pretty badly, so now I'm just kind of like, "...What just happened?" haha

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in primary care, but the commitment to Georgia specifically does make me nervous since who knows what the future holds. The scholarship opportunity mentioned in the acceptance email entails a 4-year commitment, which is a pretty long time. I'm going to call the school and ask them what my options are. All things equal, I'd go with Mercer, but of course, all things aren't equal right now. I also want to give it a little while to think it through because I feel like I'm a little shocked about the fact that I got in and not thinking completely clearly right now. I was SO sure I wouldn't come off the waitlist and would be going to the DO school since one of my Mercer interviews went pretty badly, so now I'm just kind of like, "...What just happened?" haha
I was sooo in shock. I saw you guy's posts this morning, but I was so sure I didn't get accepted that I didn't even check my email. I was actually going to send some new LOR's today, so I had opened up AMCAS and was about to send them, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a limit. So I logged on to the portal to reread the waitlist email in the status area and... "ACCEPTANCE OFFER"

Same aahhaha! I thought my Mercer interview went bleh, so I literally put a $1500 deposit into a DO school, got accepted to Mercer less than 24 hours later, and frantically called my bank to cancel the $1500 deposit.

I was sooo in shock. I saw you guy's posts this morning, but I was so sure I didn't get accepted that I didn't even check my email. I was actually going to send some new LOR's today, so I had opened up AMCAS and was about to send them, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a limit. So I logged on to the portal to reread the waitlist email in the status area and... "ACCEPTANCE OFFER"
Haha, same! I'm a reapplicant as well and had completely accepted that MD schools just weren't interested in me. I was just checking my email looking for an update on a situation at work not even thinking about the fact that schools would start seeing WL movement soon. I feel bad because it was so unexpected that I didn't even get excited at first. I just stared at it like, "Wait...really? Am I still asleep?"

Same aahhaha! I thought my Mercer interview went bleh, so I literally put a $1500 deposit into a DO school, got accepted to Mercer less than 24 hours later, and frantically called my bank to cancel the $1500 deposit.
Dang, I wish I could get mine back! I would be getting the $1500 back if I went with the DO school since my scholarship covers all tuition, so losing that money is going to doubly hurt if I go with Mercer haha. What can you do, though.

Congrats to everyone who got in today!!

Mine is may 7 and I was accepted last Monday so two weeks essentially

It's confirmed that I will be spending all four years in Macon! Anyone else???

Still extremely conflicted about which school to choose. I spoke with financial aid, and they said there is a chance that I could be eligible for the Nathan Deal scholarship, but it's pretty unlikely since I'm not from a rural area. So that doesn't make the decision any easier. It's just really hard to go back to signing up for so much debt when I spent months thinking I was coming out of medical school with so little. That said, thinking about taking a spontaneous trip to Macon to get a feel for the atmosphere up there. I didn't give that much thought to which campus I would request because I never thought I'd get accepted lol.

Still extremely conflicted about which school to choose. I spoke with financial aid, and they said there is a chance that I could be eligible for the Nathan Deal scholarship, but it's pretty unlikely since I'm not from a rural area. So that doesn't make the decision any easier. It's just really hard to go back to signing up for so much debt when I spent months thinking I was coming out of medical school with so little. That said, thinking about taking a spontaneous trip to Macon to get a feel for the atmosphere up there. I didn't give that much thought to which campus I would request because I never thought I'd get accepted lol.
So if you're not from a rural area you're basically out of luck for the scholarship?

So if you're not from a rural area you're basically out of luck for the scholarship?
She said that she's seen students from Atlanta get selected, so you're not 100% out of luck, but yeah, the chances seem pretty slim without direct ties to a rural area.

Tough choice. I was accepted there too but no full ride. Just ask yourself how important an MD is to you

Edit: oops that was for @naway

No worries...I was also accepted there, but withdrew after I got a few MD acceptances that I thought were significantly better options.

Tough choice. I was accepted there too but no full ride. Just ask yourself how important an MD is to you

Edit: oops that was for @naway
It's not really an MD vs. DO thing for me so much as that I just really feel uneasy about a few aspects of the program like the lack of dedicated board studying time and all of the uncertainty surrounding the rotation sites. I also have some chronic pain issues that make me wory about whether OMM will take a toll on my body. But is not having to put up with those things really worth taking on $200k more in debt? I feel like that's not a question I can answer without first literally going through the program haha. I'm going to call admissions tomorrow since financial aid suggested I speak with them about the situation to see if they might have a better sense of whether any scholarships may become available at any point. Tried calling today but got sent to voicemail.

It's not really an MD vs. DO thing for me so much as that I just really feel uneasy about a few aspects of the program like the lack of dedicated board studying time and all of the uncertainty surrounding the rotation sites. But is not having to put up with those things really worth taking on $200k more in debt? I feel like that's not a question I can answer without first literally going through the program haha. I'm going to call admissions tomorrow since financial aid suggested I speak with them about the situation to see if they might have a better sense of whether any scholarships may become available at any point. Tried calling today but got sent to voicemail.
Yeah I mean I will say, I have been really unimpressed with PCOM-GA's correspondence. I was accepted October 2 from PCOM and I literally never heard a peep from them except to pay my tuition deposit a couple weeks before the deadline. Meanwhile other schools I got accepted to kept a really active communication and made me feel really welcomed.

Also, PCOM gives no health insurance. I am 99% Mercer has health insurance. :)

Yeah I mean I will say, I have been really unimpressed with PCOM-GA's correspondence. I was accepted October 2 from PCOM and I literally never heard a peep from them except to pay my tuition deposit a couple weeks before the deadline. Meanwhile other schools I got accepted to kept a really active communication and made me feel really welcomed.

Also, PCOM gives no health insurance. I am 99% Mercer has health insurance. :)
I've overall felt pretty welcomed by PCOM, but I was accepted several months later than you and, of course, was in communication regarding the scholarship. I can definitely understand feeling like that after going months with no communications. Yes, the health insurance is another one of my concerns! Apparently they tell their students to sign up with the ACA right now, but with so many plans pulling out or threatening to pull out of the exchanges, who knows what options will be available over the next four years.

It's not really an MD vs. DO thing for me so much as that I just really feel uneasy about a few aspects of the program like the lack of dedicated board studying time and all of the uncertainty surrounding the rotation sites. I also have some chronic pain issues that make me wory about whether OMM will take a toll on my body. But is not having to put up with those things really worth taking on $200k more in debt? I feel like that's not a question I can answer without first literally going through the program haha. I'm going to call admissions tomorrow since financial aid suggested I speak with them about the situation to see if they might have a better sense of whether any scholarships may become available at any point. Tried calling today but got sent to voicemail.

I went through something similar in choosing schools (except I had to make mine by April, 30th, lol) so here's my 2c. I had a full scholarship offer one place, so I went and asked some of the ED docs where I used to work what were the important heuristics, etc. They all acknowledged that debt matters...but all said the quality of training matters more. For me, that meant taking a smaller scholarship(and going oos) at the school where I felt the training (especially in the ER, my primary interest) was the best. Anyways, my thought with Mercer is that all your training at either campus is at flagship hospitals with level one trauma accreditation. One of my mentors did his residency with Mercer and he LOVES the program and students there. You may have that at PCOM, but you probably won't. Added to which, if you aren't sure you want to practice in primary care...it's still usually harder to go DO than MD. Either way, good luck

I went through something similar in choosing schools (except I had to make mine by April, 30th, lol) so here's my 2c. I had a full scholarship offer one place, so I went and asked some of the ED docs where I used to work what were the important heuristics, etc. They all acknowledged that debt matters...but all said the quality of training matters more. For me, that meant taking a smaller scholarship(and going oos) at the school where I felt the training (especially in the ER, my primary interest) was the best. Anyways, my thought with Mercer is that all your training at either campus is at flagship hospitals with level one trauma accreditation. One of my mentors did his residency with Mercer and he LOVES the program and students there. You may have that at PCOM, but you probably won't. Added to which, if you aren't sure you want to practice in primary care...it's still usually harder to go DO than MD. Either way, good luck
Thank you for sharing your perspective as someone who had to make a very similar decision and what the ED doctors had to say! I remember the level 1 trauma center being a big selling point on interview day but just didn't know how important it was to have access to that since I've never had experience in such an environment.

I'm leaning very heavily towards Mercer at this point. I just...need a few days and also don't know how to even go about declining such a massive scholarship lol. I feel like I should send something in writing or something after they were so generous to select me, but I don't really know the proper etiquette for such scenarios.