2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for MCW, does the CASPer carry as much weight as GPA and MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Current M1 at MCW.
Hit me with any questions here or in a pm.

General advice: relax and enjoy the cycle :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So for MCW, does the CASPer carry as much weight as GPA and MCAT

Doubt it... its probably to catch the closet sociopaths @_@ or people with 0 social skills and grew up in a basement.

Frustration about it can be dealt with in healthier ways than being negative.
Frustration isn't what I'm feeling. You shouldn't make bold assumptions. I believe I performed very well on it. But if the school has no way to utilize it...other than to weed people out on social skills...something that could be done in the interview...

It was a waste of my time. Period.

Also lecturing me is completely unnecessary. My "negative" opinion had absolutely no effect on my health, but I apologize if my expression somehow affected your health.

Last edited:
Frustration isn't what I'm feeling. You shouldn't make bold assumptions. I believe I performed very well on it. But if the school has no way to utilize it...other than to weed people out on social skills...something that could be done in the interview...

I can understand that. I think it's a good idea because an interview is not the most effective way to ensure choosing the candidates with the best personality.

Also if a school is doing something that you consider a waste of time, but seems important to them...

Also lecturing me is completely unnecessary. My "negative" opinion had absolutely no effect on my health, but I apologize if my expression somehow affected your health.

Aye yai yai. Your profile picture is very fitting. Guaranteed to come through on the Casper test...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

I'm here to give advice, not worry about your feelings.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 10 users
Uh... lets change the subject to something more positive perhaps, guys? Last year, there was a big batch of II's right after Labor Day, so that's something to look forward to!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II. OOS. Only interviews are next week gonna have to quickly book a flight.

Reactions: 3 users
Nice work! Regional or MKE?

MKE. My stats are in the interview tracker. This is a throwaway, so I probably wont respond to messages often. Just thought people should know there is movement here for IS and also at UWSMPH for IS applicants, since people probably are not looking to post if they are IS.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who has done the interview have more information about it? Did you guys do student housing or where did you stay?

Anyone who has done the interview have more information about it? Did you guys do student housing or where did you stay?

It starts at 11ish in the alumni center (make sure you don't go on the balcony lol) it's pretty chill and interviews are different for everyone, for me it was a laid back conversation about my app and just med school life in general, you have a student interview and a phd or md interview, I think we had lunch with m1s and m2s and tours from m1s. I personally didn't do the host program but I would've if I were to do it again. I stayed in Brookfield but try to find a hotel if you must in Wauwatosa.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Received this email today (initially thought it was a rejection since it was so short...my heart sunk until I forced myself to read it :)):

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application, and your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission. That group is still significantly larger than our interview schedule can accommodate. Candidates are selected from this group throughout the cycle to receive an interview invitation on the basis of strength of credentials and completion date of application.

Has anyone else received this or know what it means?

Received this email today (initially thought it was a rejection since it was so short...my heart sunk until I forced myself to read it :)):

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application, and your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission. That group is still significantly larger than our interview schedule can accommodate. Candidates are selected from this group throughout the cycle to receive an interview invitation on the basis of strength of credentials and completion date of application.

Has anyone else received this or know what it means?
I believe you are what they have previously referred to as their "small pool." Historically, they have offered II's to the most competitive candidates early on, or rejected those not deemed competitive. The remainder of competitive candidates go to the small pool where they are reviewed to determine if they get an II. Basically, you still have a shot as far as I'm aware.

When were you complete, if you don't mind me asking?

I believe you are what they have previously referred to as their "small pool." Historically, they have offered II's to the most competitive candidates early on, or rejected those not deemed competitive. The remainder of competitive candidates go to the small pool where they are reviewed to determine if they get an II. Basically, you still have a shot as far as I'm aware.

Okay, thanks for the insight! It's nice to know I'm still in the running. I was complete mid-July.

Has anyone interviewed yet? How was it? Do they have a quick turnaround time?!

It usually is the next Thursday after your interview. However, since its before admissions decisions are made if you interview now it would be by oct.16

If anyone could give me some insight that'd be great. Been completed since first week of July and haven't heard anything yet. I know they don't sent out "completed" emails, so I check my portal but seeing others get IIs way after me is a bit curious. Can I assume that they just put my app on hold for later review? Or is this is a silent rejection?

Not sure how MCW's process normally works.

Honestly guys, there is no one formula for this stuff. Adcoms take into account different things when reviewing us, but if you have a pressing concern about your application, pick up the phone and call them to find out. Yes, posting here is cool and all, but let's all be proactive about this. Don't assume that you will be annoying them (unless you call every day for absolutely no reason), because that's their job; they are willing and happy to help us all.
So @keunglh , call them and ask about your application man.. it has now been 2 months.

It usually is the next Thursday after your interview. However, since its before admissions decisions are made if you interview now it would be by oct.16

So is the earliest date that you can hear back from schools October 16th? Is this true for DO and MD?

What about candidates who aren't rejected, offered IIs, or placed into the small pool?

If anyone could give me some insight that'd be great. Been completed since first week of July and haven't heard anything yet. I know they don't sent out "completed" emails, so I check my portal but seeing others get IIs way after me is a bit curious. Can I assume that they just put my app on hold for later review? Or is this is a silent rejection?

Not sure how MCW's process normally works.

First off, don't worry too much! No news is good news! I don't believe there are silent rejections. They usually send out rejections immediately to those they don't think are competitive. It's still extremely early in the whole process. I submitted everything as soon as the secondary came out and I still didn't get an interview until the end of November. You still got plenty of time. I wish you and everyone else here all the best of luck. :clap:

Rainbows&Waterfalls said:

The turnaround time was about 3 weeks.

First off, don't worry too much! No news is good news! I don't believe there are silent rejections. They usually send out rejections immediately to those they don't think are competitive. It's still extremely early in the whole process. I submitted everything as soon as the secondary came out and I still didn't get an interview until the end of November. You still got plenty of time. I wish you and everyone else here all the best of luck. :clap:

The turnaround time was about 3 weeks.
Thanks so much! While I'm not normally so neurotic, I was just curious since it has been a while. I know it's still extremely early but I was done with the secondary and completed very early on.

I mainly wasn't sure if they did silent rejections or not, in terms of stats I'm pretty average so I understand not receiving any updates early on as i'm not a power scorer or anything.

Hi Everyone,

I checked the MSAR but it only has matriculated students. Does anyone know the number who interview versus the number of accepted students?

II just now. OOS, LizzieM 70.5 :)

II just now! Pumped to visit Milwaukee! OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to those of you with IIs! Does it show up in your portal?

I checked the MSAR but it only has matriculated students. Does anyone know the number who interview versus the number of accepted students?

Based on the 2-3 acceptances per matriculant trend that several adcoms have quoted:

For OOSers:
(2 acceptances per seat * 129 matriculated students)/363 interviewees = 71%
(2.5 acceptances per seat * 129 matriculated students)/363 interviewees = 88.8%

I'd say 75%+ is a safe estimate.

2-3 wow thats super high and i feel like 363 interviews is low

MSAR lists 646 interviews for 261 seats w/ 50 people coming off the wait list. That would put total odds at 48%.

MSAR lists 646 interviews for 261 seats w/ 50 people coming off the wait list. That would put total odds at 48%.
The 261 are matriculants, not acceptances. Schools on average accept 2-3x their desired number of matriculants.

This doesn't tell us much. Keep in mind that roughly 50% of all matriculating students have multiple acceptances. Let's look at a hypothetical scenario:
It's entirely possible that 400 of the 646 were accepted, but 189 of them chose to attend other schools. This leaves us with 211 matriculants, so the last 50 may have been pulled from the waitlist. Overall, this would be a ~69% acceptance rate.
It's impossible to determine post-interview acceptance rate based only on MSAR.

I see your point, but a 71 - 88% acceptance rate feels way high (My internal gauge on this may need calibrating).

Last edited:
US News puts out a report with interview/acceptance data for a good number of schools. Someone on reddit put it in a google doc. 60+% is not uncommon, though it varies wildly from school to school. MCW did not share their data unfortunately.

I don't think schools send out 2-3x their number of seats and just hope it all works out. I imagine it happens in waves. Send out a few, see what plays out, send out a few more, repeat.

I don't think schools send out 2-3x their number of seats and just hope it all works out. I imagine it happens in waves. Send out a few, see what plays out, send out a few more, repeat.
It's a tough spot for schools to be in. Even an applicant that puts in their money and reserves their seat can change at the 11th hour to another school that they prefer more. They need to have a large list of acceptances and waitlisted applicants to make sure they hit their enrollment target. Like goro says, its one of the dark arts.

Yeah, that seems way too high. I don't believe they only send out so few IIs either.