2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals. 3000 characters

Describe your motivation for pursuing a community-based medical education program and how it will prepare you for your future career in medicine. Identify experiences in which you have lived or otherwise interfaced with rural or medically under-served communities and how they have influenced you. 3000 characters

Describe the community in which you envision yourself ultimately living and practicing medicine. Address the benefits and challenges of life in your specified community. 1500 characters

Describe a time when you found a creative solution to a challenging or unfamiliar situation. Include what you learned from the experience. 2000 characters

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Secondary Received!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received! My first one. Breathing massive sighs of relief. Ugh.

Does applying to all campuses give you any advantage? May sound like a dumb question, but if all three are selected that's a **** ton of essays lmao

Does applying to all campuses give you any advantage? May sound like a dumb question, but if all three are selected that's a **** ton of essays lmao
pretty sure only if you're interested in studying primary care in those specific regions

Prompts??

Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals. 3000 characters

@Lucca

For the "Letters" section, what is the difference between "Premedical Advisory Committee Letter" and "Undergraduate Institution Packet of Letters"?

For the "Letters" section, what is the difference between "Premedical Advisory Committee Letter" and "Undergraduate Institution Packet of Letters"?

My undergrad school doesnt have a formal premed committee but we have a prehealth advisor that writes us a cover letter to go along with our individual letters that the school compiles into one letter packet. So I will send that whole "packet" together and use that option instead of the committee option.

If your school has a committee then that's your answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad school doesnt have a formal premed committee but we have a prehealth advisor that writes us a cover letter to go along with our individual letters that the school compiles into one letter packet. So I will send that whole "packet" together and use that option instead of the committee option.

If your school has a committee then that's your answer.
To clarify, is it the "Premedical Advisory Committee Letter"?

To clarify, is it the "Premedical Advisory Committee Letter"?

Yeah if you have a committee then designate "Premedical Advisory Committee Letter"

If your school does something like mine does then put "Undergraduate Institution Packet of Letters"

Yeah if you have a committee then designate "Premedical Advisory Committee Letter"

If your school does something like mine does then put "Undergraduate Institution Packet of Letters"
Thank you!!

Which 2 recommendation letters should I list first?

Here's what I have...

1. Chem prof - strong letter
2. Bio prof - probably strong letter
3. Music conducting prof - probably strong letter
4. Scholarship coordinator - very strong letter

Also, does anyone have a sense of the culture on the 3 campuses?

What is CASPer and how do we study for that...? Also can I submit this secondary and take CASPer later?

www.takecasper.com

You can submit the secondary, but it won't be considered complete until your CASPer test has been scored (3-4 weeks after the exam date). Studying is apparently not necessary, but it is advised to be familiar with the format of the test. They have some examples on their website, and you can find some other free examples by googling. I'm personally trying to find example of questions that also have recommended answers, but I'm coming up short. It's an ethics test, in short.

So this secondary is about 9000 characters long? Lol smart on MCW, Im not doing that **** and they know many others like me won't

I'm OOS and not particularly interested in "committing" myself to the Wisconsin (Hey I might get there and decide I want to spend my life there, so who knows)... So I chose Milwaukee only. I got the vibe that the regional campuses were for those dedicated to those communities, as mentioned above. It's tempting to think "more campuses, more chances," but I imagine they might see through that. I'm actually really interested in this school... I say "actually" because before I started all this, I'd never heard of MCW.

Was thrilled to receive first secondary from them yesterday :)

Okay am I going crazy or did I see some sort of request for a picture on this secondary? I've looked everywhere this morning and haven't found anything about uploading a photo so I must've been up a little bit too late last night....

FWIW I haven't received a secondary either

Is talking about my community banding together after being hit by a tornado and how that developed my commitment to community service a little off-base for this secondary?

Odd mine verified 6/2 maybe it is my numbers I have a 70 Lizzy M.

Apparently secondaries aren't distributed in order that they are received, even if the school has all applicants complete secondaries. I wouldn't worry. You'll get one.

If I had to guess I would say they are either sending secondaries out in alphabetical batches, or possible by descending MCAT or GPA since your LizzyM is a 70 and mine is a 73. Plus, I'm sure the weekend followed by the 4th of July are interfering with timing as well. Either way when you get yours I'm sure you'll be at the front of the pack since you submitted your primary this early.

No joke just received mine too! So coincidental and here I am worrying for nothing :)!!

So is the secondary essentially asking two questions (explain your diversity, explain why MCW)?

So is the secondary essentially asking two questions (explain your diversity, explain why MCW)?

Pretty much. I wish they'd just made it 2 separate essays since it's kind of difficult to smoothly combine the two topics.

So for their letter of rec, it says one has to be from a biology, chemistry, or physics teacher. Is it strictly those subjects or can it be any of the courses classified under those subjects that AAMC does? So like a biochem professor for example?

Secondary received!

Dumb question: What's the difference between Classroom Professor and Undergrad Institution Packet letter? Is the latter just a differently named (or DIY) premed committee letter, and the former any letter you get by specifically asking a professor?

EDIT: Read earlier in the page, oops. So the UIP letter is a collection of CP letters, with a cover letter. (How do I strike out here again?)

Hey all!

I am an incoming OOS M1 at MCW (Milwaukee campus) who will be starting in a few weeks. Although I don't have as much insight as someone who has already been attending MCW (I'll obviously have more to provide once classes start) I'd be more than happy to answer whatever questions there are about the application process, the school, or anything else in general!

Best of luck to all of you this cycle :)

Reactions: 2 users
So I am applying to MCW and for the Graduate Program Enrollment question I am unsure as to what to put because I am entering a SMP this fall. I obviously have no way of getting a recommendation letter before I start classes, so I feel like if I put down that I am currently enrolled it will screw my app up and/or delay it until I can somehow convince someone at my SMP to write me a LOR after only a month or two, essentially killing my chances.

What should I do?

So I am applying to MCW and for the Graduate Program Enrollment question I am unsure as to what to put because I am entering a SMP this fall. I obviously have no way of getting a recommendation letter before I start classes, so I feel like if I put down that I am currently enrolled it will screw my app up and/or delay it until I can somehow convince someone at my SMP to write me a LOR after only a month or two, essentially killing my chances.

What should I do?

You are required to have at least 1 letter from your undergraduate institution anyway. Use the one(s) that you submitted to your SMP. Also, at my SMP any student applying during it had a letter written by the dean around August (provided that they informed them a month in advance). Check if your program does this.

Secondary received 6/30, CASPer taken 6/28 (though I'll never know results :dead:), plan to submit secondary 7/9.

Anyone else applying Regional campuses only?

why did you choose the Milwaukee campus?

The Milwaukee campus is the school's main campus as well as the largest (approx. 200 incoming students). The Milwaukee campus also has a traditional 4-year curriculum while both the GB and CW campuses are 3 year programs. I got the notion that the GB and CW campuses are much more geared towards students who are interested/committed to working in Wisconsin (particularly rural areas), and I believe each incoming class has around 30 students. Since I'm OOS, I'm not yet sure that Wisconsin is the place I want to practice, so I elected for the more urban and larger Milwaukee campus. Hopefully that answers your question!