2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, but then what happens when they send out 3X acceptance and 1.9 or even 2.2 accepts. They can't possibly take on that many students.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, but then what happens when they send out 3X acceptance and 1.9 or even 2.2 accepts. They can't possibly take on that many students.
It doesn't happen often, but when it does its apparently a big deal. From what I've seen they usually offer a few students large discounts in tuition if they defer for a year.

It's a tough spot for schools to be in. Even an applicant that puts in their money and reserves their seat can change at the 11th hour to another school that they prefer more. They need to have a large list of acceptances and waitlisted applicants to make sure they hit their enrollment target. Like goro says, its one of the dark arts.
Not exactly, amcas has those traffic rules where you can only hold one acceptance after a certain date. So schools probably start out pretty conservative until that date passes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not exactly, amcas has those traffic rules where you can only hold one acceptance after a certain date. So schools probably start out pretty conservative until that date passes.
Correct, but you can be accepted off the waitlist at another school after that date and choose to matriculate at those programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, that seems way too high. I don't believe they only send out so few IIs either.

The 2-3x acceptance per matriculant rule applies to most schools, but there's little available data on MCW so we cannot really give a good estimate. Schools have to report interview invites to AMCAS, so the number of II on MSAR is correct.

Last edited:
Correct, but you can be accepted off the waitlist at another school after that date and choose to matriculate at those programs.
That scenario sounds like it would contribute to an underenrollment issue, not over. In that case I assume the school would have little issue calling somebody up from the practice squad.

That scenario sounds like it would contribute to an underenrollment issue, not over. In that case I assume the school would have little issue calling somebody up from the practice squad.
Yep, that's why they accept so many and still waitlist on top of that. It's a giant game of musical chairs

Reactions: 1 users
II just now to the central campus!!! Only one date given by e-mail, call to confirm. OOS, complete late July. Super excited!!:biglove::love:

Reactions: 4 users
II just now to the central campus!!! Only one date given by e-mail, call to confirm. OOS, complete late July. Super excited!!:biglove::love:
I got invite today too for September 26th. I am an in-state with average stats, but got my app in early.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else having a problem accessing the secondary portal? Whenever I try to login it says wrong username/password then I tried clicking I forgot my password then it tells me I'm not registered. Even though i have already accessed it a couple of times and filled it out.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this! I was wondering if anyone is in a similar situation as I am. I submitted my MCW secondary 7/16 and Casper was on 7/26 and have not received a II. I see a lot of people who were after are already interviewing. I'm not sure how to feel, should I expect a rejection? I am IS and have a 507 MCAT, 3.6 GPA.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this! I was wondering if anyone is in a similar situation as I am. I submitted my MCW secondary 7/16 and Casper was on 7/26 and have not received a II. I see a lot of people who were after are already interviewing. I'm not sure how to feel, should I expect a rejection? I am IS and have a 507 MCAT, 3.6 GPA.

Thought I should give you some solace and tell you that MCW works relatively slowly! As much as people say it, submitting early isn't a drastic difference. All that means is you may be reviewed earlier, which may give you better chances, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Submitting early doesn't mean you get a II, if you look at the acceptance data from last year on MSAR, only about 9% of all of the verified applications get an II. Your stats are also a little below their average so it might mean that they reviewed your app but they just put you aside for later review. They don't have to make a decision after one glance and can keep your app on the side as they continue to compare you to the rest of the incoming applicant pool. So no, it doesn't mean a rejection. People that get such early IIs are usually pretty spectacular in some regards and they were offered an II regardless of how the rest of the applicant pool would turn out. Doesn't mean anything, keep your head up and keep on trucking.

Reactions: 6 users
Thought I should give you some solace and tell you that MCW works relatively slowly! As much as people say it, submitting early isn't a drastic difference. All that means is you may be reviewed earlier, which may give you better chances, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Submitting early doesn't mean you get a II, if you look at the acceptance data from last year on MSAR, only about 9% of all of the verified applications get an II. Your stats are also a little below their average so it might mean that they reviewed your app but they just put you aside for later review. They don't have to make a decision after one glance and can keep your app on the side as they continue to compare you to the rest of the incoming applicant pool. So no, it doesn't mean a rejection. People that get such early IIs are usually pretty spectacular in some regards and they were offered an II regardless of how the rest of the applicant pool would turn out. Doesn't mean anything, keep your head up and keep on trucking.

Thank you :) I really needed that. I hope very good things are on their way to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for this post. My stats are below average. I am glad they are comparing me to their incoming applicant pool instead of rejecting me straight off the bat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I got invite today too for September 26th. I am an in-state with average stats, but got my app in early.

Would you mind sharing approximate stats by chance? Curious, my stats are a bit lower (non-trad, upward trending GPA), complete 7/31 with top choice listed as GB campus.

II for Green Bay sent today for int. date 10/23 or 10/24

Hi guys, I just finally submitted my secondary (I know it's a bit late) and I just completed the casper test today. Would that consider my application complete? Or they have to wait for my casper score? If so, how long does that usually take? Thanks y'all

Hi guys, I just finally submitted my secondary (I know it's a bit late) and I just completed the casper test today. Would that consider my application complete? Or they have to wait for my casper score? If so, how long does that usually take? Thanks y'all

In one of their secondary emails:
"4. If you have not yet taken the CASPer test, please make sure to register for an upcoming date. Your score is required for application completion. Learn more about CASPer here.'

Has anyone that took Casper on 8/10 received a completion email? I received one from another Casper school last week but not from here yet.

Has anyone that took Casper on 8/10 received a completion email? I received one from another Casper school last week but not from here yet.

I did not receive a notification that they received my Casper. However, when I logged into the portal, it said "received".

II about an hour ago! Really excited!!

Reactions: 4 users

No completion email for CAPSER, and its not updated on the portal.

Is there a way to know if your CASPER score has been sent to MCW? There is no notification next to that section on the secondary app.

Also do they send a complete email? Because i still havent gotten one evem though i completed the secondary in august.

Is it too late to submit a secondary here?

II today!! My first one, I'm so excited...I loved exploring MCW's website while I wrote my secondary!! OOS, LM ~68

II today!! My first one, I'm so excited...I loved exploring MCW's website while I wrote my secondary!! OOS, LM ~68
when did you submit your secondary?

Just received notification of being put on hold :( really bummed since this was IS for me but hoping I still have a shot!

So the email stating, "The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application, and your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission..." is a hold? I'm super confused about what to do next.

Yes I do think this is essentially a hold. I wonder how many off of this list eventually will get IIs?

Yea I also just got that email..pretty confusing wording

Hey those of you that have interviewed--

Do you remember what email address we were supposed to send the thank you letters to? I think it's the one on the sticker but my memory tells me otherwise. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I should've wrote it down.

Thanks in advance.

This is so bizarre: I interviewed here and was rejected last cycle; started but didn't complete a primary for this cycle (accepted off the waitlist elsewhere), and then I got this email today:

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School!

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application, and your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission. That group is still significantly larger than our interview schedule can accommodate. Candidates are selected from this group throughout the cycle to receive an interview invitation on the basis of strength of credentials and completion date of application.

If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive communication via email. Additional review of your application or updates you provide will occur only if you are interviewed.

Thank you for your interest, and please contact the Admissions Office with any questions.

MCW wyd???

Hey those of you that have interviewed--

Do you remember what email address we were supposed to send the thank you letters to? I think it's the one on the sticker but my memory tells me otherwise. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I should've wrote it down.

Thanks in advance.
[email protected]

Does anybody know...if we haven't gotten that hold email and we haven't been rejected or interviewed, is that just a silent rejection?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if MCW is receptive to updates??

Someone said on a previous page that it's a "small pool"? Not sure what that means though. I'm just gonna treat it as a hold.

I thought they said that the "small pool" refers to folks who have received that explicit on hold email.

I thought they said that the "small pool" refers to folks who have received that explicit on hold email.
I'm in the same boat. I'm assuming they just haven't made a decision regarding our applications yet.