2017-2018 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On hold, via email. Complete 7/11.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Current MS1 here, do not go to this school. This new curriculum is a great idea, but it is terribly organized. They overlap us like crazy and expect us to be across town instantaneously. Whoever is organizing this just throws up whatever they think looks alright and just goes with it, zero regards for the students. I now see why Drexel Med has the reputation it does. Most of the students I know are about ready to protest.

I will say that most of the faculty are great.

Reactions: 1 users
Current MS1 here, do not go to this school. This new curriculum is a great idea, but it is terribly organized. They overlap us like crazy and expect us to be across town instantaneously. Whoever is organizing this just throws up whatever they think looks alright and just goes with it, zero regards for the students. I now see why Drexel Med has the reputation it does. Most of the students I know are about ready to protest.

I will say that most of the faculty are great.

Could you elaborate on the bolded? I'm not aware of the reputation

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s the day that many medical schools are allowed to let us know about their first acceptances.

Do they accept many or only a few on this date? Do you know? Are most placed on hold or wait list? Just wondering.

Could you elaborate on the bolded? I'm not aware of the reputation
See:
Because:

1. Drexel has an unstable hospital system
2. Drexel is generally a bad school in Philly (and I think PCOM is a lot better in many aspects)
3. Drexel is completely overcrowded. Jefferson and Temple also have too many students but the feelings of overcrowdedness are usually maintained suitably.
4. Drexel main teaching hospital looks like an abandoned warehouse in Center City
5. Drexel medical school is okay provided it wasn't a 20-30 min. drive from the teaching hospital
6. Drexel residency seems to recruit a lot of Caribbean/offshore IMGs
7. Drexel interviews give a bad vibe to many applicants
8. Drexel has an inadequate, insufficient, and improper secondary screening and evaluation process.

Generally, if you want to go to a medical school in Philadelphia outside of the elite Penn, you should go for Temple or Jefferson. Others can add in if they want, but I think I summarized it pretty well given what I have seen.

For what it's worth, I interviewed here in September and I did not get the impression that the school is in any way inferior to any other medical school. All the Drexel students were happy, facilities were nice, and admission staff seemed friendly. The only negative thing about my interview experience was that the interview day did not seem to be very well structured and there were a lot of random gaps in the schedule. As far as the new curriculum goes, I'm sure there will be some issues with it - especially since this is the first year that it's being used. I was told by my student interviewer that the school takes student feedback very seriously so I am confident that the school will work to try to resolve these issues. Obviously, my opinion is limited to what I saw in one day but remember that everything is always exaggerated on SDN. There are a lot of bitter people on this forum so you gotta learn to take everything with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't think that Drexel had THAT bad of a reputation. As someone who lives in the area, I've never heard that it is terrible. Generally, it is regarded as a pretty good institution that maybe be a little "easier" (by medical school standards, of course) to get into than say Jefferson or Temple. I feel that a lot of people in the area respect it, but maybe that is just the sentiment here in South Jersey. Preferences are preferences however, so if you interview there and don't like it, it is up to you to decide what to do.

anyone know for us who interviewed early october if were hearing back on the 16th?

Hey guys, does anyone know what percentage of IS vs OOS applications get interview invites?

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I interviewed here in September and I did not get the impression that the school is in any way inferior to any other medical school. All the Drexel students were happy, facilities were nice, and admission staff seemed friendly. The only negative thing about my interview experience was that the interview day did not seem to be very well structured and there were a lot of random gaps in the schedule. As far as the new curriculum goes, I'm sure there will be some issues with it - especially since this is the first year that it's being used. I was told by my student interviewer that the school takes student feedback very seriously so I am confident that the school will work to try to resolve these issues. Obviously, my opinion is limited to what I saw in one day but remember that everything is always exaggerated on SDN. There are a lot of bitter people on this forum so you gotta learn to take everything with a grain of salt.

I didn't think that Drexel had THAT bad of a reputation. As someone who lives in the area, I've never heard that it is terrible. Generally, it is regarded as a pretty good institution that maybe be a little "easier" (by medical school standards, of course) to get into than say Jefferson or Temple. I feel that a lot of people in the area respect it, but maybe that is just the sentiment here in South Jersey. Preferences are preferences however, so if you interview there and don't like it, it is up to you to decide what to do.

Listen. Just keep in mind that SDN was saying the same stuff about Drexel in 2002 when it was MCP Hahneman, the same when I was a student there and the same stuff when myself and about twenty of my colleagues matched into orthopaedics.

In spite of the stuff said here that makes Drexel sound like one of the offshore schools, they still somehow manage to graduate physicians every year who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG, less than 6%? Is it even worth that I applied as an OOS at this point? lol Haven't heard back yet

Half of my class is OOS. Majority are from California.

I'm having second thoughts, is it too late to submit secondary even if I receive one at this point? I'm OOS with 66 LizzyM (not the cream of the corn, I know)

I feel like I would be wasting $100. Any thoughts?

Yeah I think Drexel is more OOS friendly. I'm from New York, which is one of the more heavily represented states.

When I went there, there were more students from California than Pennsylvania.

Silent treatment. Submitted mid August.

So I called admissions regarding silence since I sent my primary and I got a secondary just hours later. But at this point in the cycle, is it too late to send secondary? Would I just be wasting $100?

Interviewing here monday. Can anyone give feedback on their experience and how they prepared?

So I called admissions regarding silence since I sent my primary and I got a secondary just hours later. But at this point in the cycle, is it too late to send secondary? Would I just be wasting $100?

I'm sorry that sounds rough. You probably should have emailed them a long time ago about receiving a secondary since they send them to every applicant. At this point it is pretty late in the application cycle to submit. But if you have the extra cash and have high stats you might still be okay.

I'm sorry that sounds rough. You probably should have emailed them a long time ago about receiving a secondary since they send them to every applicant. At this point it is pretty late in the application cycle to submit. But if you have the extra cash and have high stats you might still be okay.

Thank you for being honest with me. I had my essays pre-written so I could submit within 5 min. But with LizzyM of 66, it's probably not a good idea.... right?

Thank you for being honest with me. I had my essays pre-written so I could submit within 5 min. But with LizzyM of 66, it's probably not a good idea.... right?

Again if you have the money and you feel like you fit the mission of the school then go for it. I probably would if I were you the average lizzym score for accepted applicants it around a 68, yours is not to far off, but again I don't really know the rest of your app. Also, I am only another lowly applicant trying to get into medical school as well so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 2 users
I say go for it and apply. If you don't, you will end up regretting it later. $100 is a small price to pay for a chance to go to medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
Again if you have the money and you feel like you fit the mission of the school then go for it. I probably would if I were you the average LizzyM score for accepted applicants it around a 68, yours is not to far off, but again I don't really know the rest of your app. Also, I am only another lowly applicant trying to get into medical school as well so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it :)

Hi! Are there examples of the interview day essay? I've tried searching, but I haven't found anything specific yet.

Thanks!