2017-2018 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know the break down of OOS vs IS interview/acceptance?

When I went there most were OOS (ESPECIALLY Cali)

Edit: Not much has changed since 2002 apparently Home States of Our Students - College of Medicine

Over half from OOS, with Ca, NY and NJ being top 3.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone tell me how bad traffic is in Philadelphia? Interview lasts until 4:30 (Tuesday) & I was planning on my returning flight to be at 8:30. Is this a realistic time window or am I gonna be in trouble? Sorry, I'm from the South haha!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone tell me how bad traffic is in Philadelphia? Interview lasts until 4:30 (Tuesday) & I was planning on my returning flight to be at 8:30. Is this a realistic time window or am I gonna be in trouble? Sorry, I'm from the South haha!

It can be awful getting to the airport around that time. Try investing in TSA precheck and your security wait goes down by so much!

But if you're driving, 76E is a nightmare like all the time. But with an 830 flight you should be okay.

take SEPTA regional rail airport line from 30th street station south to Airport. Really easy.

Correction: from center city get on at Suburban Station...I was thinking about Drexel undergrad campus

My letter writer went here, such an awesome school. Good luck to everyone on this thread!

take SEPTA regional rail airport line from 30th street station south to Airport. Really easy.

Correction: from center city get on at Suburban Station...I was thinking about Drexel undergrad campus

You'd have to travel from QL via Chestnut Hill West Line to get to 30th street and then transfer to an airport train.

I was gonna take Uber? How long do you think it will take from the campus to the airport?

You'd have to travel from QL via Chestnut Hill West Line to get to 30th street and then transfer to an airport train.
haha philly resident and I didn't even know Drexel wasn't in center city. Shows how much I know. Definitely uber!

haha philly resident and I didn't even know Drexel wasn't in center city. Shows how much I know. Definitely uber!

Drexel actually has three campuses! Hahnemann is in center city blocks from Suburban (nursing school also there). But the med school is tucked away in East Falls

Drexel actually has three campuses! Hahnemann is in center city blocks from Suburban (nursing school also there). But the med school is tucked away in East Falls

*the more you know* Yeah I figured Hahnemann = med school. Guess I should step out of my UCity bubble ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
It can be awful getting to the airport around that time. Try investing in TSA precheck and your security wait goes down by so much!

But if you're driving, 76E is a nightmare like all the time. But with an 830 flight you should be okay.
Do you happen to know what traffic near the school to PHL is like in the early hours of morning (as in before 6am)? I have an early morning flight after the interview and want to gauge when I should get up to catch the uber. Thanks in advance!

Do you happen to know what traffic near the school to PHL is like in the early hours of morning (as in before 6am)? I have an early morning flight after the interview and want to gauge when I should get up to catch the uber. Thanks in advance!

6 am? Not bad at all.

II! OOS, LizzieM 70.5

TBH I don't remember the complete date LOL.

Reactions: 1 users
I just wanted to share my experience in case its helpful for anyone. I'm currently a 1st year at Drexel med. I didn't receive an acceptance until my 4th time applying to med and Drexel was my first and only ever acceptance. I wrote the MCAT three times and my best overall score was a 34 (14/08/12) but my best overall for each section collectively was a 33 (11/10/12). I had around a 3.66 GPA. MSc completed in 2014. 8 publications (3 primary). I had a decent amount of volunteering but honestly not really anything since 2012...

I think my main motivation for posting on the message board is for people who are considering not applying because of the number of applicants (~14000 last year). I felt exactly the same way. After having received 70+ rejections collectively over the course of 4 years applying to Drexel and getting an interview did not seem likely at all considering the number of applicants. But it worked out for me somehow. If you have killer stats all around and amazing volunteering experiences I'm sure you'll get an interview somewhere but if you're struggling to just get one interview...just go for it. Drexel worked out for me. I hope it works out for you. There are so many incredible people here. I wish everyone good luck.

Reactions: 31 users
Is it too late to submit secondary for this school now? (given that Drexel receives 10k apps)

II today. 3.7 gpa, 515 MCAT, complete 7/14. (A couple dates available in October, mostly November dates currently open.)

Is it too late to submit secondary for this school now? (given that Drexel receives 10k apps)
I am wondering about this too... I just submitted my primary anyway. This cycle is turning out nothing like I'd planned! lol

Can someone tell me a little bit about what to expect on interview day?

I am wondering about this too... I just submitted my primary anyway. This cycle is turning out nothing like I'd planned! lol

How many schools did you apply? how many secondaries have you completed?

How many schools did you apply? how many secondaries have you completed?
Not that many. My MCAT was below practice scores so I'm kind of hedging my bets in case I need to retake and do another cycle. I submitted 16 primaries. From those, I will have 14 secondaries (including from the 2 schools I added today which don't screen); 10 are done, 4 yet to finish. I didn't get a secondary from the school I used to get verified - no surprise there, as they take almost zero OOS. I am hoping for one more screened secondary. Overall response has been one rejection and no II's.

How about you?

Last edited:
Can someone tell me a little bit about what to expect on interview day?

Well, it depends if you're an AM vs PM interviewee, timing anyway.

BUT, everyone eachs lunch with their student interviewer at noon and then goes on a tour of school from 1-130. Im not 100% on what you do from there but I am pretty sure the PM people go to their faculty interviews and such from that point.

But basically, you get an information session from various admissions people and probably a video (we saw a video when i interviewed) about DUCOM and what it has to offer. Eventually, you break off into groups. You get your faculty interview, your essay, a break time, and you get to sit in on an ongoing class. I had a bunch of interviewees sit in on a few of my classes today. Be aware, and they'll probably tell you, if you're sitting in on a lecture, it is a second year class because the curriculum changed.

The MS1's have exams this week so they won't have any TBLs or anything else going on this week.

@Ms.Pediatrician

BUT, everyone eachs lunch with their student interviewer at noon and then goes on a tour of school from 1-130. Im not 100% on what you do from there but I am pretty sure the PM people go to their faculty interviews and such from that point.

But basically, you get an information session from various admissions people and probably a video (we saw a video when i interviewed) about DUCOM and what it has to offer. Eventually, you break off into groups. You get your faculty interview, your essay, a break time, and you get to sit in on an ongoing class. I had a bunch of interviewees sit in on a few of my classes today. Be aware, and they'll probably tell you, if you're sitting in on a lecture, it is a second year class because the curriculum changed.

The MS1's have exams this week so they won't have any TBLs or anything else going on this week.

@Ms.Pediatrician
So it's only one interview with one faculty member?

So it's only one interview with one faculty member?

One faculty interview (which is the formal kind. Open file and all that jazz) and one student interview. Student interview is super chill, done over the lunch hour and basically you just tell your interviewer more about yourself! And be yourself! Cannot stress that enough.

One faculty interview (which is the formal kind. Open file and all that jazz) and one student interview. Student interview is super chill, done over the lunch hour and basically you just tell your interviewer more about yourself! And be yourself! Cannot stress that enough.
Is the faculty interview conversational or more "I ask you a question and you answer" type of thing?

Is the faculty interview conversational or more "I ask you a question and you answer" type of thing?

My interview was very conversational. But I feel like that's highly dependent on who your interviewer is! But the faculty at DUCOM is really welcoming and I imagine anyone you interview with will present you with a very conversational-type interview.

My interview was very conversational. But I feel like that's highly dependent on who your interviewer is! But the faculty at DUCOM is really welcoming and I imagine anyone you interview with will present you with a very conversational-type interview.
Thank you so much- I appreciate the insight!

Is the student interviewer a MS1/MS2 or a 3rd/4th year?

@Ms.Pediatrician

ESSAY?

Those of you that have IIs, could you please also say if you are URM/ORM. so those that are waiting can have realistic expectations?

Reactions: 2 users