2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's an update for those still waiting: there are currently 192 members on the facebook page, although ~60 of them are current students/faculty. So I'm guesstimating about 20-25 spots are still available and it seems like they are calling people daily based on how the FB page has grown over the last few days.
I am fully committed to be a physician, which is why I am going the extra mile, and waiting for the right school for me to ensure competence for my future patients.

You do you boo.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone take the personality assessment yet? I thought it's such a great idea for them to send it out to form our groups :) I am so excited to meet everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone take the personality assessment yet? I thought it's such a great idea for them to send it out to form our groups :) I am so excited to meet everyone!
INTP here. So I am the quiet guy in the back thinking about everything, even the irrelevant stuff lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
INTP here. So I am the quiet guy in the back thinking about everything, even the irrelevant stuff lol.

ENFJ Here. Almost your polar opposite. Lol Apparently I'm very charismatic and loud

Hi, what kind of health insurance did you all get? ARCOM don't offer students health issurance, correct?

Hi, what kind of health insurance did you all get? ARCOM don't offer students health issurance, correct?
I ask a current student, and he told to just apply to medicaid. It should be easy to get as a student with no income. But I was also wondering if there was any other better options than medicaid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
And no, ARCOM doesn't offer students health insurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have HMO under my mother until I'm 26 (in Illinois), but unfortunately HMO isn't covered out of state.
My options: try to switch over to PPO which is often difficult if it's not open enrollment, apply for Medicaid, or buy private health insurance from the area from a company like Blue Cross Blue Shield (yikes)!

Members don't see this ad :)
INTJ here. Seems we are getting an idea about who will be hiding out in the back of the classroom...

I ask a current student, and he told to just apply to medicaid. It should be easy to get as a student with no income. But I was also wondering if there was any other better options than medicaid.

Arkansas will have work requirements attached to Medicaid for able-bodied individuals (80 hours/month, I believe, when it takes effect), so this may not be an option.

Interesting. At a different school they had us take a personality test as part of the interview. I also had to take a similar test in a job interview.

Both times: ENTJ-A

Anymore movement this week? Wish I could call em and ask whether not I'm close or there's no chance that way I could quit 1) stalking this site and 2) move on to next years cycle!

Anymore movement this week? Wish I could call em and ask whether not I'm close or there's no chance that way I could quit 1) stalking this site and 2) move on to next years cycle!
Hold on don't lose hope, the call will come, just trust the process (god, good vibes, or whatever it is that you believe in) and when you least expect it, the phone will ring and you'll be accepted.

Hold on don't lose hope, the call will come, just trust the process (god, good vibes, or whatever it is that you believe in) and when you least expect it, the phone will ring and you'll be accepted.
I like your style! I shall sit back and believe in the process!

I like your style! I shall sit back and believe in the process!
I know it's easier said than done because I was in your shoes last week, but I kept envisioning my phone ringing, and on Tuesday it finally happened. I believe that we can will ourselves into either good or bad outcomes, so please be positive and never lose hope. I will be sending good vibes your way!!

Just withdrew from the wait list. Good luck to everyone - don't give up yet!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys for those of you that will not be staying at the Residents, where do you plan to live at? I'm looking for an apartment, condo, or town home that is pet friendly and in a safe location, does anyone have any suggestions??

Hey guys for those of you that will not be staying at the Residents, where do you plan to live at? I'm looking for an apartment, condo, or town home that is pet friendly and in a safe location, does anyone have any suggestions??
First of all, are you on our class Fb group? I ask because there are current students and people in our class that have had pretty good suggestions/answers to questions we had in the past. I found it pretty helpful.

Second, from what I've heard, people living off campus went mostly at the Reserves which is like 3 minutes away.

First of all, are you on our class Fb group? I ask because there are current students and people in our class that have had pretty good suggestions/answers to questions we had in the past. I found it pretty helpful.

Second, from what I've heard, people living off campus went mostly at the Reserves which is like 3 minutes away.

Yes I am part of the group already but I haven't had time to really read through the previous posts because I currently work full time and have a tiny little baby boy that ties up any free time I have lol

I'll try to check it out and see what others have suggested. Thank you!

Yes I am part of the group already but I haven't had time to really read through the previous posts because I currently work full time and have a tiny little baby boy that ties up any free time I have lol

I'll try to check it out and see what others have suggested. Thank you!
I would put in 'apartments' in the search box of the fb group on the left so you don't have to read through every single post.

How much does your pet weigh, is it an aggressive breed, and how many pets do you have?
Looking at our fb group, it sounds like most off campus people live in The Reserves and the Haven. Both are pet friendly but The Reserves have restrictions to nonaggressive dog breeds <25pounds and only 1 dog and cat. It sounds like the Haven is more pet friendly but you would have to call them to make sure they don't have any restrictions either. Someone said the Haven also have a fenced yard which would be nice for a pet.

@DOStudentDad I somehow missed the Haven when looking for housing on google maps

Last edited:
@Noni Mousse Thanks so much!! My dog is actually pretty small, he probably weighs less than 15 lbs. As for the breed, well I'm sure it's not an aggressive one, he's a mutt, but if I had to guess he's probably a mixture of poodle with Chihuahua lol

@Noni Mousse Thanks so much!! My dog is actually pretty small, he probably weighs less than 15 lbs. As for the breed, well I'm sure it's not an aggressive one, he's a mutt, but if I had to guess he's probably a mixture of poodle with Chihuahua lol
Both apartments should work then! I think The Reserves is also getting full and may already have a waitlist too the last time I talked to them though. At least they made it sound like I got their last 1 bedroom with other people waiting behind me to get it if I didn't take it. They might still have 2 bedrooms to offer but I didn't inquire about them so Idk

If any girl is looking for a roommate for living off campus, let me know!

Does anyone know if the stethoscopes we will be receiving will be engraved with our names or initials?
Also, has anyone bought any of the supplies from the list we got in the email-any feedback on the scrubs and coat sizes and if they are accurate in their size listings?

Does anyone know if the stethoscopes we will be receiving will be engraved with our names or initials?
Also, has anyone bought any of the supplies from the list we got in the email-any feedback on the scrubs and coat sizes and if they are accurate in their size listings?
I don't know about the stethoscopes. Maybe @Faustian or @bethygean could answer that. I've only bought 2 books for now FA and Netter's Atlas, and nothing else. I plan to buy the other supplies for anatomy lab, but I will probably buy scapel blades and dissection kit way later because once we have our anatomy groups we'll only need like 2 of those per table (according to a 1st year student on our FB group). Also, I was wondering if I could use my old lab coat from undergrad for anatomy. It's still pretty much in great condition lol. Scrubs need to be surgical green that's all, and it doesn't matter where you get them. For their coat sizing, I don't know how accurate they are (again one of the 1st-years above could answer that), but I just used my regular coat size from my suits.

I don't know about the stethoscopes. Maybe @Faustian or @bethygean could answer that. I've only bought 2 books for now FA and Netter's Atlas, and nothing else. I plan to buy the other supplies for anatomy lab, but I will probably buy scapel blades and dissection kit way later because once we have our anatomy groups we'll only need like 2 of those per table (according to a 1st year student on our FB group). Also, I was wondering if I could use my old lab coat from undergrad for anatomy. It's still pretty much in great condition lol. Scrubs need to be surgical green that's all, and it doesn't matter where you get them. For their coat sizing, I don't know how accurate they are (again one of the 1st-years above could answer that), but I just used my regular coat size from my suits.

I used an old lab coat from undergrad and old scrubs from my previous place, so I can’t comment about sizing.

Edit: The engraving will be whatever you submit when you receive an email about checking the spelling of what is on your stethoscope. People did full names and middle initials.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Remain patient you guys I know the waitlist is hard!!! It's so easy to get discouraged during the waiting period.... Today I got the call, and I'm going to be a Doctor! Can't wait to see you all in July!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Remain patient you guys I know the waitlist is hard!!! It's so easy to get discouraged during the waiting period.... Today I got the call, and I'm going to be a Doctor! Can't wait to see you all in July!!!!
Congrats! Welcome to the class of 2022 and see you in July. Make sure you join our FB group lots of good information there.

Congrats!!! See you in July!!

Just an update for the folks on the waitlist. Per admissions the class of 2022 is not full yet and they are anticipating movement through July. The waitlist is not ranked and they will not tell you where you stand unfortunately. I would assume the committee is still meeting to select applicants off the waitlist or they are trying to match applicants with similar profiles.

Reactions: 2 users
Did they tell you it’s not ranked?

Yes, everything I said they told me. I tried to fish for a ranking or where I stand as best as I could without being annoying. I was ultimately told that the list is not ranked and they could not tell me where I stand...

Yes, everything I said they told me. I tried to fish for a ranking or where I stand as best as I could without being annoying. I was ultimately told that the list is not ranked and they could not tell me where I stand...
Well what you found out is more concrete information than I had before today, so thank you for sharing. I really hope and honestly feel like the majority of us will get in, we just have to stay patient and trust the work I know we have all put in!

Just an update for the folks on the waitlist. Per admissions the class of 2022 is not full yet and they are anticipating movement through July. The waitlist is not ranked and they will not tell you where you stand unfortunately. I would assume the committee is still meeting to select applicants off the waitlist or they are trying to match applicants with similar profiles.
I confirm what @FutureGeorgiaDoc says. They told me they "do not use a numbered or ranked list" couple months ago
do you know how that works then. How do they decide who to pull?

do you know how that works then. How do they decide who to pull?
Usually if they don't rank, then they convene every so often to rereview each applicant and discuss which applicants to accept at that time. Arcom haven't told me this is how they specifically do it but that's how schools who don't rank typically do it.

I got off the waitlist this morning!!!!!!! I interviewed early February! See you all in July!!

Reactions: 5 users