2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A parent on the ARCOM parent’s Facebook page said that their daughter was accepted yesterday, so it looks like the waitlist is still moving...

Good to know, thanks!
I'm debating on contacting admissions about being accepted to a master's program. If I could, i'd rather start med school this fall than in 2019!

I do need to know if I have a chance to get off the waitlist cuz the other school has had me complete all the pre-mat paperwork, approved my financial aid, background check, etc...Literally just need to find a place to live and move there...

Members don't see this ad.

Good to know, thanks!
I'm debating on contacting admissions about being accepted to a master's program. If I could, i'd rather start med school this fall than in 2019!

I do need to know if I have a chance to get off the waitlist cuz the other school has had me complete all the pre-mat paperwork, approved my financial aid, background check, etc...Literally just need to find a place to live and move there...
they wont tell you. im in the same position as you have already done everything for a smp just need to sign a lease. i contacted them about a week or so ago asking them where i stood on the waitlist and if there was still movement, how much they expected things like this and all they said was that they still are seeing movement and nothing about the other questions.

Reactions: 1 user
they wont tell you. im in the same position as you have already done everything for a smp just need to sign a lease. i contacted them about a week or so ago asking them where i stood on the waitlist and if there was still movement, how much they expected things like this and all they said was that they still are seeing movement and nothing about the other questions.

Ok, I won't ask. But I don't see what the big deal is. Why not tell us where we stand? Especially if the list is large or if we are on the bottom of the waitlist. Other schools will say if you're ranked high, med, low...so I am not understanding the secretiveness.

One school I was waitlisted at released me from the waitlist about a week ago. And that school has had no waitlist movement. I assume they released a bunch of us because they knew they'd never get to us to offer a seat. I'm happy they gave me that courtesy. :rofl:

Which SMP are you potentially attending this fall??

The one i'm doing is intense. They gave me 4 modules and quizzes to complete about the standards of conducting research on animal models and humans. And they call it part of my pre-matriculation requirements. :laugh: Homework before orientation!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I won't ask. But I don't see what the big deal is. Why not tell us where we stand? Especially if the list is large or if we are on the bottom of the waitlist. Other schools will say if you're ranked high, med, low...so I am not understanding the secretiveness.

One school I was waitlisted at released me from the waitlist about a week ago. And that school has had no waitlist movement. I assume they released a bunch of us because they knew they'd never get to us to offer a seat. I'm happy they gave me that courtesy. :rofl:

Which SMP are you potentially attending this fall??

The one i'm doing is intense. They gave me 4 modules and quizzes to complete about the standards of conducting research on animal models and humans. And they call it part of my pre-matriculation requirements. Homework before orientation!
The thing is they don't rank their waitlist, so there's no way they can tell you where you're rank. But I'm sure they could have told you guys how many are actually on the waitlist at the moment, but I guess they might have their reasons.

But just so you guys know, I have been seeing a few new faces on the Facebook group that were recently accepted (some as recently as last Thursday).

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Has anyone called recently in regards to the waitlist??

When I called for the first time a few weeks ago they were not very transparent unfortunately, as many others have described. So I personally don’t think I plan on calling again because they don’t really share much information :(

I would do anything to be able to know how many people remain on the waitlist. Or even how many spots they have left. I really wish admissions was willing to share this information

I would do anything to be able to know how many people remain on the waitlist. Or even how many spots they have left. I really wish admissions was willing to share this information

Agreed. Every time I call they give the same generic response. At this point, I have given up, time to start re-applying :lame:

Admissions said the waitlist is still moving, but slowed down last week. Also said something about being patient and to wait till end of July. Still won’t disclose how many of us are still waiting.

The suspense! :lol: I’m going to continue to have happy thoughts and wait and see.

Admissions said the waitlist is still moving, but slowed down last week. Also said something about being patient and to wait till end of July. Still won’t disclose how many of us are still waiting.

The suspense! :lol: I’m going to continue to have happy thoughts and wait and see.

Thank you so much for the information! I wish there was more details than that but at least knowing that it is still moving even a little bit is refreshing. Hopefully we can get some good news soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for the information! I wish there was more details than that but at least knowing that it is still moving even a little bit is refreshing. Hopefully we can get some good news soon!

I don’t think they would have said to wait till the end of the month if there was not a chance.

I was on the WL at WesternU and they released me (and others) from their list. I presume because they had too many on the list so the fact we have not been released yet is still good. I hope so...

I feel blessed I have gotten this far since I interviewed on the last day. I saw only 2 gals accepted at ARCOM but at least 5 others in my group that were rejected. So fingers crossed!

And I know waitlist movement can be last minute because my cousin’s friend was accepted the day of orientation at a school last year. He, of course, accepted the offer.

So let’s all think happy positive thoughts

Reactions: 1 users
This may not be the most appropriate place to post, but I am still looking for a roommate to house with me and my 30 kg puppy this upcoming semester. The school year is upon us and I am a bit nervous about arriing without housing. Anyone else out there still looking? Please respond via email or facebook.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may not be the most appropriate place to post, but I am still looking for a roommate to house with me and my 30 kg puppy this upcoming semester. The school year is upon us and I am a bit nervous about arriing without housing. Anyone else out there still looking? Please respond via email or facebook.
I know the feeling, I was scrambling to find a roommate where I am going to school. I had four people message me this week looking ( I had already secured a 3b/2br house right across from the school)

Hey everyone,
I just got off the waitlist but I'm having second doubts on whether or not to matriculate. I really want to become a doctor but, due to my past history with taking the MCAT and other standardized exams like the SAT, I'm not sure if I will be able to pass the boards. I had to take the MCAT twice and was only able to improve by a point, from 498 to 499. My last MCAT score breakdown was: C/P: 128, CARS: 121, B/B: 127, P/S: 123. I'm really scared of failing the boards and ending up with a huge debt with nothing to show for. I graduated college with a 3.9 GPA so I'm not really worry about lecture exams. So, my question is should I proceed and matriculate now? OR should I first work on being a better standardized test taker and then reapply to medical school?
Thank you!

Hey everyone,
I just got off the waitlist but I'm having second doubts on whether or not to matriculate. I really want to become a doctor but, due to my past history with taking the MCAT and other standardized exams like the SAT, I'm not sure if I will be able to pass the boards. I had to take the MCAT twice and was only able to improve by a point, from 498 to 499. My last MCAT score breakdown was: C/P: 128, CARS: 121, B/B: 127, P/S: 123. I'm really scared of failing the boards and ending up with a huge debt with nothing to show for. I graduated college with a 3.9 GPA so I'm not really worry about lecture exams. So, my question is should I proceed and matriculate now? OR should I first work on being a better standardized test taker and then reapply to medical school?
Thank you!
Well I guess that would depend on how you plan to get better at standardized tests. But even as a person on the waitlist who would love to see you decline your seat, in general, I would never turn down a seat in a medical school just because there is no guarantee you’ll ever get that acceptance again

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,
Thank you!
Got off the waitlist today? Also I don’t think anyone can really help you. If you feel you’re not ready ask to defer until next year or work on it. If you think you’ll be able to figure it out along the way, although that’s a pretty big gamble go for it best of luck

Hey everyone,
Thank you!
You have two years to become a better test taker. The school has a vested interest in you passing boards

You might not have another chance at medical school.

DC1010 - What school? I noticed that you posted the same question on PCOM, BCOM, and ARCOM's SDN pages.

Hey everyone,
Thank you!
First of all, MCAT and USMLE/COMLEX are very different exams, and though you still need to have good test taking skills, people with your MCAT score do fine in them all the time. Now, If you feel you can increase your next retake significantly (510+), so you could have a chance at MD then yes by all means do, it'll at least be worth it. But if you hit lower than that, your chance will still be at a DO school, and there's really no reason delaying medical school just to increase MCAT and then back to a DO school. Some schools won't even accept you next time around if they learn you were previously accepted somewhere (unless you lie which I DO NOT recommend doing at any cost). Your time and money would be better invested in trying to get better in the next 2 years of medical school.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Can someone comment on how long the orientation is. I am trying to schedule internet and cable installation on Monday but am not sure what time we get off from orientation. Do we spend the whole day 8-5pm doing orientation stuff?

Can someone comment on how long the orientation is. I am trying to schedule internet and cable installation on Monday but am not sure what time we get off from orientation. Do we spend the whole day 8-5pm doing orientation stuff?

It's Monday-Thursday 8AM-4PM. So yeah pretty much all day.

Any current students able to share about their experience at ARCOM? Pros and cons?

yup! Took me from 0.001 % hope to about 0.01%. :shrug:

Reactions: 3 users
anybody hear anything after that email. id imagine the last of any acceptance would have been given out by the end of the day today

Havent heard anything. Good luck to those who made it. Here's to next year :bang:

anybody hear anything after that email. id imagine the last of any acceptance would have been given out by the end of the day today

Yesterday financial aid emailed about making sure ARCOM was on my FAFSA because it will take a week to process. uh ok, but I did not get accepted there (yet/ ever). I'm leaving for my other school on Monday.

And to all that were not accepted, remember: Everything happens for a reason. A better opportunity awaits you. Good luck! xoxo