2017-2018 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
spicyboi- Mind sharing your stats and complete date pls?

Members don't see this ad.

What do they mean by "any gaps in your post-graduate history"? If I took a gap year between undergrad and med school, this is where I'd explain?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted here last cycle. Let me know if you have any questions.

(No I will not violate my NDA for the MMI)

Congrats on your acceptance!

I'd like some input on how I'm going to approach my explanation of my "gap" in post-graduate history and whether you would even consider my situation a gap worth explaining.

So I earned my MS right out of undergrad. As I was finishing up my thesis (8/2015), I began scribing full time. I continued scribing full time and began studying to take the first round of the MCAT right before my girlfriend of six years broke up with me. I was forced share a living space with her during the 5 months I was studying and working full time due to financial constraints on breaking the lease. I ended up getting a 504, and was faced with the decision to apply to medical school with a very borderline score in an emotionally traumatized state. I decided to delay applying until this year in order to get a better score (got a 506 second time), and most importantly, to adequately cope with the breakup before jumping into a huge life transition. Continuing to work full time scribing and studying to get that score of a 506, I went through cognitive behavioral therapy and employed a lot of great lasting behavioral strategies that have helped prepare me to take on the rigors of med school as my best self.

I believe I made a wise decision because jumping into applying right after the breakup would have made the quality of my application suffer; it could have also put me at risk for poor performance in med school if I didn't take time and energy not available during medical school to cope with CBT.

Longwinded, so your consideration and feedback is hugely appreciated!

Question: Because I am paranoid, I wish to submit my primary application NOW to Albany medical school. Would you guys advise against it? Two days ago, I submitted my primary to Geisenger commonwealth and they immediately sent me a secondary (which i submitted the same day) Thoughts?

Question: Because I am paranoid, I wish to submit my primary application NOW to Albany medical school. Would you guys advise against it? Two days ago, I submitted my primary to Geisenger commonwealth and they immediately sent me a secondary (which i submitted the same day) Thoughts?

I don't understand the question. Are you backed up with secondaries so you don't want to submit right away...?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know a ballpark time frame for when Albany tends to send out some of their earlier interview invites?

I interviewed here last year, and got an offer for an interview on 9/7, and could interview as early as some day in the first week in October, but I think interviews start before that.

I don't understand the question. Are you backed up with secondaries so you don't want to submit right away...?
Nope, I already submitted secondaries to 17 schools. Just wanted to add this to my list. Would that be advised?

Nope, I already submitted secondaries to 17 schools. Just wanted to add this to my list. Would that be advised?
If you like the school and have the money and time to apply here, then why not?

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT can offset my gpa. How important is research exp to albany?

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT can offset my gpa. How important is research exp to albany?
PLEASE STOP. you have a 97th% mcat, apply wherever you want.

Reactions: 8 users
PLEASE STOP. you have a 97th% mcat, apply wherever you want.
I'm sorry, I've been getting replies like this for a while- it didnt occur to me that everyones notifications would blow up. I was hoping that these more specific threads might offer insight into whether the school valued gpa more vs mcat more. does albany have a preference or are they pretty balanced?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, I've been getting replies like this for a while- it didnt occur to me that everyones notifications would blow up. I was hoping that these more specific threads might offer insight into whether the school valued gpa more vs mcat more. does albany have a preference or are they pretty balanced?
Get the MSAR. Look at each school you are interested in applying to and examine their MCAT scores and GPAs. You are going to want to find schools to apply to where your cGPA is no lower than the 10th percentile. Your MCAT is amazing, so I'm sure you have a good chance. Also, create a thread in the "What are my chances" forumof this site. Adcoms like @Goro are known for helping you create a school list that will garner some interview invites.

Reactions: 6 users
Did it take you guys a little while to get the secondary? I've been verified since 7/21 but added here 7/31 and no secondary still

For those with upcoming interviews: How are you preparing for Albany's specifically?

Reactions: 4 users
how long did it take you guys for your application to be processed? I was complete 8/7 with everything showing up as "yes" except the ready for review line still says "no"

how long did it take you guys for your application to be processed? I was complete 8/7 with everything showing up as "yes" except the ready for review line still says "no"
I think a couple days. I submitted my secondary on 7/31 and my committee letter was uploaded on AMCAS on 7/31 but I was not complete and ready for review till 8/6.

I think mine didn't change to "yes" for like a week after I submitted my secondary

Rejected just a few minutes ago.

Rejected just a few minutes ago.
Oh man, so sorry to hear that! What were your stats and submission dates? Also, was it post-secondary, but pre-interview?
Hope the other schools show you some love.

Reactions: 1 users
Also rejected. Wompity womp! All good, though. Good luck everyone!

II!!! OOS - submitted secondary early August.

Reactions: 6 users
II! OOS, complete in July

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected as well :(. Better luck next time!

Reeeejected, good luck to everyone who received interviews!

Congrats to everyone getting IIs this morning!

Submitted secondary July 10th and didn't hear anything today. Hoping no news is good news.

Rejected. Probably has something to do with my verbal score. At least this school gets back to you though.

What was your verbal score if you don't mind me asking? Mine was also not terrific.

MCAT was 128/123/128/128. It was a retake from 127/123/128/126. This is no excuse, but I had to start working at 17/18 to pay my own bills and I feel it really took away from my verbal development. I guess my plan would be to read 2-3 hours + 1 hour passages/4-5 days a week. I work full time, so my days off was (edit: off days were...see..haha!0 the practice mcats. Hope that helps. Thanks for asking :)
We pretty much have the same score, so what was your GPA?

First Rejection :) Cheers to many more

Stats 511(127/126/128/130)
sGpa 3.93
cGpa 3.9

Attachments

• Rejected-Stamp-PNG.png
    Rejected-Stamp-PNG.png
    237 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
II this morning! So so happy. Congrats to everyone else as well! To those still waiting, hold on to hope! Many more II to come. LizzyM ~67, OOS, Non-URM, complete mid-July. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone getting IIs this morning!

Submitted secondary July 10th and didn't hear anything today. Hoping no news is good news.
My thoughts exactly lol

Rejected! It was a reach and I had no connection to the state or school. Best of luck everyone :)