2017-2018 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are interested in obtaining the MD/Ph.D. or the MD/MBA degrees, please check the corresponding box. The application for the Ph.D. is submitted after the second year of the MD program; the application for the MBA is submitted after acceptance to the MD program. Please note that admittance to the MD program does not guarantee admittance to either of these programs.
MD/Ph.D. MD/MBA

If you have previously applied to the Albany Medical College, indicate the year(s) and the disposition of your application. (Check all boxes that apply)

If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then?
(1,000 character limit)

Describe yourself:
(1,000 character limit)

Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.
(1,000 character limit)

Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history.
(1,000 character limit)

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.
(1,000 character limit)

EXPERIENCES

In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.

(1,000 character limit)

+ additional personal info/ letters of rec info

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
MSAR says you can submit the secondary 06/01/2017. Has anyone gotten the secondary yet?

MSAR says you can submit the secondary 06/01/2017. Has anyone gotten the secondary yet?

I don't believe AMCAS transmits verified primary apps to schools until ~6/30. Most likely, nobody will get secondary apps until early July. Feel free to start pre-writing for it, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming the prompts don't change... I'm confused how to go about the academic inconsistencies question. I have a 124 in CARS I could mention or maybe my sGPA of 3.51 during my second-to-last year in undergrad. My only thing is that my cGPA / sGPA are ~3.80 and a 124 in CARS is w/in AMC's range. Advice?

Assuming the prompts don't change... I'm confused how to go about the academic inconsistencies question. I have a 124 in CARS I could mention or maybe my sGPA of 3.51 during my second-to-last year in undergrad. My only thing is that my cGPA / sGPA are ~3.80 and a 124 in CARS is w/in AMC's range. Advice?
A 124 will raise eyebrows, but do not draw attention to negativity if you can avoid it. A 124 isn't something "horrible" so don't bring it up in the secondary.

If your score breakdown is 132-124-132-132 then it will be an inconsistency worth discussing - what is your score breakdown (inbox me if you don't want to post it publicly)

Hello everyone! For the question: " Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores."

If one has for instance 3.95 GPA and 506 MCAT, do you think this individual needs to explain the inconsistency of MCAT with her academic performance?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! For the question: " Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores."

If one has for instance 3.95 GPA and 506 MCAT, do you think this individual needs to explain the inconsistency of MCAT with her academic performance?
+1, I have 506 and 3.90, would like to know as well!

+1, I have 506 and 3.90, would like to know as well!

506 is the 25th percentile for matriculants, so I wouldn't think you would need to explain anything. Just my two cents, though. Now if you have a subsection that is like a 122 then that's a different story.

What is the difference between question 1 and question 4?

1. If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then? (1,000 characters)

gap year?

4. Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history. (1,000 characters) gap year?

What is the difference between question 1 and question 4?

1. If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then? (1,000 characters)

gap year?

4. Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history. (1,000 characters) gap year?

One question asks about previous application, the other asks about your time spent regardless of a previous app. The two have overlap but don't necessarily mean the same thing. You might have applied once, got rejected, and done specific things after to improve yourself, whereas question #4 you might have never applied but need to explain a gap year or two.

What are the prompts that you guys are pre-writing?

Members don't see this ad :)
One question asks about previous application, the other asks about your time spent regardless of a previous app. The two have overlap but don't necessarily mean the same thing. You might have applied once, got rejected, and done specific things after to improve yourself, whereas question #4 you might have never applied but need to explain a gap year or two.

Still doesn't make sense if you applied once, didn't get in, and then attended a SMP. My answers would be the exact same....

Applied the year I graduated from undergrad --> worked in the meantime --> didn't get in --> SMP

Still doesn't make sense if you applied once, didn't get in, and then attended a SMP. My answers would be the exact same....

Applied the year I graduated from undergrad --> worked in the meantime --> didn't get in --> SMP

Fair, I'd assume you're answering only one then really, maybe the only difference is the box?

Also, when the secondary comes out you could just call the school and clarify (best option right here)

Looking forward to filling out this school's secondary. Good luck everyone!

Does Albany require Calculus? On MSAR it says so, but on their website I can't find anywhere that says it does.

I was accepted here last cycle. Let me know if you have any questions.

(No I will not violate my NDA for the MMI)

Has anyone received a secondary? Seems delayed this year (or its just me).

Still Nothing. . .

Secondary received about 10 min ago

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got the secondary, but everytime I log-in it and click on the secondary, it says:

The Deadline has expired for this request.
Please contact the Admissions Office with any issues regarding this matter

Not like I really wanted to do this secondary anyway...

@gyngyn

If you are interested in obtaining the MD/Ph.D. or the MD/MBA degrees, please check the corresponding box. The application for the Ph.D. is submitted after the second year of the MD program; the application for the MBA is submitted after acceptance to the MD program. Please note that admittance to the MD program does not guarantee admittance to either of these programs.
MD/Ph.D. MD/MBA

If you have previously applied to the Albany Medical College, indicate the year(s) and the disposition of your application. (Check all boxes that apply)

If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then?
(1,000 character limit)

Describe yourself:
(1,000 character limit)

Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.
(1,000 character limit)

Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history.
(1,000 character limit)

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.
(1,000 character limit)

EXPERIENCES

In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.

(1,000 character limit)

I'm confused; I thought our mini-essays on 'most meaningful' experience on our primary app answered this already.

After submitting the secondary, my application status page looks like this:

yes All MCAT scores received
yes
spacer.gif
MCAT planned
yes
spacer.gif
MCAT scores received

I took the MCAT in May and didn't put down any future dates in my primary. Is anyone else having this issue?

Incoming M1 here. Let me know if you have any questions!

Secondary Received just now. Check yo inboxes!

Reactions: 3 users
Should I fill out my secondary with a 501 MCAT? No urm, no 4.0 gpa :(.

MD/Ph.D. MD/MBA

(1,000 character limit)

Describe yourself:
(1,000 character limit)

(1,000 character limit)

(1,000 character limit)

(1,000 character limit)

EXPERIENCES

(1,000 character limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

When secondaries say "1,000 character limit", do they mean "characters with spaces", same as during the primary application? Or does it depend on the school?

My friends wife goes here and she likes it. I think she just finished first year.

Any advice on how to go about the "Describe Yourself" prompt? I feel like I always bomb these by rambling and don't have a good protocol to follow.

Any advice on how to go about the "Describe Yourself" prompt? I feel like I always bomb these by rambling and don't have a good protocol to follow.
I picked two qualities that kind of define who I am and I talked about them.

For the question asking about 'inconsistencies' would it be good to talk about my upward trend and why my first semester was rough (first gen, thought about math but switched)? Also, it says MCAT scores can be discussed. I didn't score as well on the real than on practice exams but I could only really attribute it to situational factors and that sounds inherently wrong to me. Any advice?

For the question asking about 'inconsistencies' would it be good to talk about my upward trend and why my first semester was rough (first gen, thought about math but switched)? Also, it says MCAT scores can be discussed. I didn't score as well on the real than on practice exams but I could only really attribute it to situational factors and that sounds inherently wrong to me. Any advice?
General advice I've heard from SDN is to avoid attracting attention to any negatives about your app, so I wouldn't discuss low performance on your MCAT. Also, it'll just sound like you're making excuses for yourself if you blame it on situational factors. This advice is coming from someone in the same shoes as you...I know it's tempting to want to explain a low score, but it'll just make us look bad in the end. Let your app speak for itself.

General advice I've heard from SDN is to avoid attracting attention to any negatives about your app, so I wouldn't discuss low performance on your MCAT. Also, it'll just sound like you're making excuses for yourself if you blame it on situational factors. This advice is coming from someone in the same shoes as you...I know it's tempting to want to explain a low score, but it'll just make us look bad in the end. Let your app speak for itself.
I appreciate the advice and agree with it. If the prompt, however, is asking specifically for an inconsistency in a low MCAT score, would it look bad if I choose today nothing about my score? Is the GPA thing a better route?

I appreciate the advice and agree with it. If the prompt, however, is asking specifically for an inconsistency in a low MCAT score, would it look bad if I choose today nothing about my score? Is the GPA thing a better route?
I think choose whatever route sounds less like you're making excuses. If all you can say about the low MCAT is "I did better on practice exams, I had a bad day", it'll look bad. If you have genuine reasons for your GPA, like "I had a rough semester because xyz happened in my life and it affected my performance and focus on school" it'll definitely sound better.

For the question regarding "inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores", would I have to explain a W on my transcript or is this referring to bigger gaps in education like taking a semester off?

For the question regarding "inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores", would I have to explain a W on my transcript or is this referring to bigger gaps in education like taking a semester off?

I think it warrants withdrawals. But the way I see it, unless you have multiple W's on your transcript which might raise some eyebrows, then 1 or 2 don't really need to be explained unless there is a specific prompt asking about W's. I think the adcoms will understand.