2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've had this problem for other schools. I just contacted each individual school to get the letters processed. They usually responded fairly quickly.
Thanks for the advice, I'll go ahead and do this! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I woke up in the middle of the night and threw in my application at 3:00AM

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone had any issues with letters being received from the admissions office? I've had all my letters submitted to AMCAS for several weeks now, but the secondary still has my letters listed as "Incomplete" and each individual letter as "Not Received"

D0 you guys think I should contact AMCAS about this? Or is this normal?

My letters went on AMCAS Aug 3 and I got a complete email from Yale that same day, so I'd go ahead and contact them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had any issues with letters being received from the admissions office? I've had all my letters submitted to AMCAS for several weeks now, but the secondary still has my letters listed as "Incomplete" and each individual letter as "Not Received"

D0 you guys think I should contact AMCAS about this? Or is this normal?

same thing happened to me! I just sent a polite letter asking them if there was anything I could do to help them receive my letters and they replied the next day saying they had them.

I woke up in the middle of the night and threw in my application at 3:00AM
I woke up in the middle of the night and threw up in my bed at 3:00AM

I was not mentally prepared for the stress of applying

Reactions: 4 users
I woke up in the middle of the night and threw up in my bed at 3:00AM

I was not mentally prepared for the stress of applying
You're not alone! Hang in there :) We'll get through this soon enough

Reactions: 1 user
FYI guys, in case there was any doubt, heartbreak really sucks during application season. Luckily I was blessed to have interviews and I think some traveling to get out of my town will be beneficial.

Reactions: 1 users
For the additional info prompt, did people treat it as a diversity essay or as a space for post-AMCAS updates? The prompt seems accommodating of both approaches

For the additional info prompt, did people treat it as a diversity essay or as a space for post-AMCAS updates? The prompt seems accommodating of both approaches
I treated it as a diversity essay but since the prompt is so open-ended I'd do whatever you think would help adcom understand you the best...they want to see how you approach these kinds of questions to see your thought process and your perspectives on things, at least that's how I look at these vague, general questions.

It's supposed to be for like special circumstances normally but treating it as a diversity essay isn't too crazy. Just don't feel any pressure to write something...it's really just a "do you think there is anything we NEED to know about you in order to evaluate you as a person?" sort of question.

What do people usually put in the Achievements and Distinctions box? I haven't received any state/national scholarships, haven't done any academic competitions, no research publications. All I've got is Dean's List (which probably everyone who's applying + their moms have this), undergrad-granted research stipends, and maybeee how one of the clubs I'm in fundraised $1500...

Do I just leave that blank?

What do people usually put in the Achievements and Distinctions box? I haven't received any state/national scholarships, haven't done any academic competitions, no research publications. All I've got is Dean's List (which probably everyone who's applying + their moms have this), undergrad-granted research stipends, and maybeee how one of the clubs I'm in fundraised $1500...

I think it's better to just leave it blank if you don't feel like you have anything significant to put there. I left it blank.

Members don't see this ad :)

You could put the undergrad granted research stipends in that category right? Those are awarded to you based on competence, achievement etc--but if you feel like that's stretching it a bit, I wouldn't put it.

I put very similar things in mine, including deans list, graduating with honors, and raising money for a project by winning a competition.

Short and succinct always works well in conveying modesty (in my opinion) along with allowing faculty to quickly read through it.

Reactions: 2 users
II just now.. unbelievably excited about this one

Reactions: 5 users
Yep, via email. Secondary submitted (and complete) on July 7th.

Just FYI for those with II's, there are two surveys on the website you have to fill out, one for lunch choices and one for travel plans. They could be easy to miss in the excitement.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congratulations to all of you!!

II!!! Ahhhh so pumped! Only my second invite so also feeling relieved. Congrats to everyone else! My LizzyM is 78, but a little skewed (super high MCAT, average GPA).

Just FYI for those with II's, there are two surveys on the website you have to fill out, one for lunch choices and one for travel plans. They could be easy to miss in the excitement.

Where do you see these surveys?

Ah nevermind, found them. Thanks for the heads up though!

Congrats on the early IIs!! Very good sign, hope y'all are excited to visit New Haven and all that we have to offer. There always seems to be some questions about travel so look in previous years' threads first for help and if you're still confused, post here and I'll answer when I have time. School's started so I don't check SDN quite as much anymore but I'll still see it relatively quickly.

Congrats on the early IIs!! Very good sign, hope y'all are excited to visit New Haven and all that we have to offer. There always seems to be some questions about travel so look in previous years' threads first for help and if you're still confused, post here and I'll answer when I have time. School's started so I don't check SDN quite as much anymore but I'll still see it relatively quickly.
Please help! I see that not many flights come into New Haven's Airport. Do you recommend flying to Hartford and taking a taxi to New Haven?

Please help! I see that not many flights come into New Haven's Airport. Do you recommend flying to Hartford and taking a taxi to New Haven?

You can fly to New York and take a bus/train to new haven. Check out amtrak

This is what I did, although it was not my original plan, I missed my connection to New Haven and was rerouted to Hartford, but it worked out fine.

You can fly to New York and take a bus/train to new haven. Check out amtrak

If you're going to do the train, take metro north, it runs constantly all day. Train from NY (Grand Central) to New Haven is $18 and then you can catch an uber to campus for $10. The Amtrak is like $88.

Do not fly into Tweed. There is only one way to get to Tweed and that's through PHL, which is annoying. Fly to BDL and take CT Limo. Or fly to JFK/LGA and take GO Shuttle that drops you off right in New Haven. If you're going to do public transit after landing in NYC, the answer is as said above, get to Grand Central then take Metro-North. But if you have the $60 to spend, just do GO Shuttle. It's faster and easier, pretty reliable.

If you're going to do public transit after landing in NYC, the answer is as said above, get to Grand Central then take Metro-North.

The faster route if you're comfortable with mass transit- If you're coming into laguardia, take the M60 SBS bus to Harlem 125th St. and you can pick up Metro North there. Harlem isn't that scary anymore.

Congrats you guys!!

Last edited:
II! :D Complete end of July.

Should I be worried if I submitted early July and haven't gotten an II yet

Should I be worried if I submitted early July and haven't gotten an II yet
No, today I'm pretty sure is the first day Yale has given out IIs. They may not have even seen your application yet, they have a lot to look through and schools send out IIs throughout the application cycle. You're fine.

Interview invite, completed Aug 1st.

For those of you who got IIs did your portal update from "application complete" to "application complete and under review"?

Hey guys, so for some reason I'm having a really tough time understanding yale's admissions requirements.

It reads:
"U.S. Advanced Placement credits from high school do not themselves satisfy premedical requirements, but advanced college, university courses or institute of technology courses (for which students are made eligible by AP credits) may be substituted for introductory-level courses in each of these subjects."

Does this mean if your university gave you college credit from AP scores, that credit can be used? Physics really messing me up right now....
I know I can call them, but wanted to submit the secondary over the weekend instead of later on Monday/Monday night.