2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an email that said "sale" in the subject line and I thought for a split second that it said "Yale". How disappointing.
lol the pain

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Not gonna lie, I'm definitely not getting in here; I applied because if I went, the first letter of the schools I've attended would spell out "WHY" and I like the idea that my degrees question the universe
Love it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a secondary!

For the Why Yale essay (and generally for any longer secondary essay), are you guys approaching it like you would the personal statement? Not as in content obviously, but as in having an interesting hook for the intro, incorporating a story or something into the body, and a conclusion? I was planning on just diving in with "Yale SOM attracts me because..." and discussing the few specific reasons that I like Yale SOM and think that I would be a good fit/contribute, but I wasn't sure.

Just got a secondary!

For the Why Yale essay (and generally for any longer secondary essay), are you guys approaching it like you would the personal statement? Not as in content obviously, but as in having an interesting hook for the intro, incorporating a story or something into the body, and a conclusion? I was planning on just diving in with "Yale SOM attracts me because..." and discussing the few specific reasons that I like Yale SOM and think that I would be a good fit/contribute, but I wasn't sure.

I don't think it needs to (or should) be approached like a personal statement. I focused solely on what I liked about yale, and why I would be a good fit. If possible, you should include personal activities/experiences that show why/how you are a good fit, but I don't think it should be set up like a personal statement. just my $0.02. Good luck writing!

I just got right into it. "My primary reason for applying to the Yale....."

Reactions: 1 users
Same as everyone above! It wasn't flowery writing or anything like that but I tried to connect everything I was interested in at the medical school to my AMCAS activities so my interest in Yale made more sense than "it's a good school and has good facilities"

I did pretty much the same as everyone else, but with an anecdote about how I ended up sleeping on a bench in New Haven's Amtrak station during a huge snow storm tying it all together:D

Similar experiences to everyone here. First sentence was about how Yale is a place where I can be free. First paragraph about freedom I had starting a business. 2nd paragraph about freedom I had being a student ambassador. third paragraph about freedom I want out of my medical education. conclusion about how I want to be at yale.

Also, does this sound too aggressive to you guys? this is the end of my essay.

"My experiences have taught me that I am at my best when I am free. Yale is a place where I can be free. Your dedication to fostering creativity and responsibility have made Yale my number one choice; and if you invite me on campus, I will show you just how right your school is for me"

Similar experiences to everyone here. First sentence was about how Yale is a place where I can be free. First paragraph about freedom I had starting a business. 2nd paragraph about freedom I had being a student ambassador. third paragraph about freedom I want out of my medical education. conclusion about how I want to be at yale.

Also, does this sound too aggressive to you guys? this is the end of my essay.

"My experiences have taught me that I am at my best when I am free. Yale is a place where I can be free. Your dedication to fostering creativity and responsibility have made Yale my number one choice; and if you invite me on campus, I will show you just how right your school is for me"

That's good that you have a common thread/theme in your essay! I would probably reword the last sentence because it comes off as a tad aggressive. I would make it a little softer. I don't think you have to say "if you invite me...right your school is for me" because that's a given, right?

Just my two cents! Best of luck to ya!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good that you have a common thread/theme in your essay! I would probably reword the last sentence because it comes off as a tad aggressive. I would make it a little softer. I don't think you have to say "if you invite me...right your school is for me" because that's a given, right?

thanks!

Hi all,

Just finished my first year. Been out of the country, so I haven't been checking. Looks like Director Silverman was right when he mentioned to me that the 2017 season was off to a start.

Anyone know how Yale handles incomplete requirements when applying? I took AP Chem and Bio and used those credits to get out of Gen Chem and Intro Bio. It's not a problem for bio, since I'm a biology major and have taken plenty of advanced biology classes. However, the extent of my college chemistry is organic (2 semesters plus a separate 3 credit lab course) and biochemistry (1 semester plus lab). Will they reject my app because I don't have advanced classes in Inorganic Chem to fulfill the requirement? Or will they just ask (if I'm invited for an interview) how I plan on completing the requirement?

You just have to have your classes finished by the time you matriculate at Yale. Technically, you could take them the summer before you enroll (after you graduate) if you wanted. I don't think Yale checks thoroughly. You're expected to know what you need to get done.

Hey guys, I have included some stuff about the early clinical exposure at Yale due to the Longitudinal Clinical Experience pilot. However, I have realized that this is a pilot program, and therefore was wondering if it is still going on and if it is safe to be included in the secondary essay. Thanks,

LCE is confusing. It is a FULL pilot program this year, meaning all of the entering class of 2016 will be in it. In essence, they have already switched over so feel free to write about it. (You've probably already submitted your secondary so sorry...)

Just got a secondary!

Just be careful! We're referred to as YSM and not Yale SOM, which is the business school (School of Management). There's no possible way you could know this, but it might confuse a few of your readers! (They would eventually figure it out, though, so don't worry if anybody else has done this.) Yale is confusing sometimes...

Anyway, I did START last summer, so I've been here for over a full year now. Feel free to ask questions, and I'll be happy to answer. I don't think that there's much students can do to answer GPA/MCAT, to be honest, other than be anecdotal. Plus, I have no idea what the new MCAT is! (The old 45 scale is the only one I'll ever know...)

Good luck to all, and hope to see you around for interview season!

+2

But would be careful working your essays out with SDN and such. (Not that I don't trust you all as exceptional people.) The AdCom really does want to hear from you! I'm sure that you'll write a good ending :) I always found that the best people to help edit were my friends who knew me really well and tried to bring my voice out of my pieces.

Good luck!

Hi all,

Just finished my first year. Been out of the country, so I haven't been checking. Looks like Director Silverman was right when he mentioned to me that the 2017 season was off to a start.

You just have to have your classes finished by the time you matriculate at Yale. Technically, you could take them the summer before you enroll (after you graduate) if you wanted. I don't think Yale checks thoroughly. You're expected to know what you need to get done.

LCE is confusing. It is a FULL pilot program this year, meaning all of the entering class of 2016 will be in it. In essence, they have already switched over so feel free to write about it. (You've probably already submitted your secondary so sorry...)

Just be careful! We're referred to as YSM and not Yale SOM, which is the business school (School of Management). There's no possible way you could know this, but it might confuse a few of your readers! (They would eventually figure it out, though, so don't worry if anybody else has done this.) Yale is confusing sometimes...

Anyway, I did START last summer, so I've been here for over a full year now. Feel free to ask questions, and I'll be happy to answer. I don't think that there's much students can do to answer GPA/MCAT, to be honest, other than be anecdotal. Plus, I have no idea what the new MCAT is! (The old 45 scale is the only one I'll ever know...)

Good luck to all, and hope to see you around for interview season!

Ahh I didn't know that (the YSM vs Yale SOM). Thanks! I was also wondering if you knew anything about/have been involved with the Haven Free Clinic? I've volunteered at a free clinic before and I'm planning on writing about being interested in Haven in my secondary, but I was wondering what role med students actually play there (aka what kind of work students do)? Thanks in advance!

Ahh I didn't know that (the YSM vs Yale SOM). Thanks! I was also wondering if you knew anything about/have been involved with the Haven Free Clinic? I've volunteered at a free clinic before and I'm planning on writing about being interested in Haven in my secondary, but I was wondering what role med students actually play there (aka what kind of work students do)? Thanks in advance!

Hello! HAVEN is a free clinic that many students work at on Saturday. People do all sorts of things from management to clinical work (JCTM aka junior clinical team member and SCTM) to lab testing. It's a huge variety, and I'm sure there's probably a more thorough description online than what I can offer.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that there are other similar programs like the Neighborhood Health Project (NHP), so it's not just HAVEN. It's a long line of Yale, here the School of Medicine, trying to form a relationship with the community that we exist in. There's a clear divide between Yale and New Haven although it's better than what it was 20-30 years ago.

Hello! HAVEN is a free clinic that many students work at on Saturday. People do all sorts of things from management to clinical work (JCTM aka junior clinical team member and SCTM) to lab testing. It's a huge variety, and I'm sure there's probably a more thorough description online than what I can offer.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that there are other similar programs like the Neighborhood Health Project (NHP), so it's not just HAVEN. It's a long line of Yale, here the School of Medicine, trying to form a relationship with the community that we exist in. There's a clear divide between Yale and New Haven although it's better than what it was 20-30 years ago.
That was very informative! Thanks for also letting me know about the Neighborhood Health Project. I'll be sure to look that up too!

What end date should we be using if the activity is ongoing? Lets say you've been playing a sport for most of your life and plan on continuing without an expected end date?

What end date should we be using if the activity is ongoing? Lets say you've been playing a sport for most of your life and plan on continuing without an expected end date?

I would just say the start date. Maybe do ACTIVITY, 2015 - ongoing

I would just say the start date. Maybe do ACTIVITY, 2015 - ongoing

Normally I would do that, but the instructions specifically state not to put down anything resembling "current" or "present." I might just put down 2017 for lack of a better choice :/

Normally I would do that, but the instructions specifically state not to put down anything resembling "current" or "present." I might just put down 2017 for lack of a better choice :/

It's been a while since I had to answer the question, but I wouldn't worry too much about the question. It's one answer in a sea of information, so as long as you indicate something that gives them the gist of what you want. If it's something you've been doing for a long time, I don't think they'll doubt your dedication and passion regardless of what date you end up deciding upon. I'm sure that, if they put that stipulation, they're used to being able to read the dates well, too.

TL;DR: Don't worry to much, IMO.

It's been a while since I had to answer the question, but I wouldn't worry too much about the question. It's one answer in a sea of information, so as long as you indicate something that gives them the gist of what you want. If it's something you've been doing for a long time, I don't think they'll doubt your dedication and passion regardless of what date you end up deciding upon. I'm sure that, if they put that stipulation, they're used to being able to read the dates well, too.

TL;DR: Don't worry to much, IMO.

Got it. Thanks!

Very likely an incoming MS1 here. Ask away to the extent I can answer!

Requirements are required for matriculation, not acceptance. This applies for all schools, though some can be more picky about what needs to be done by when and why. Yale doesn't give a ****

Is there anything unique to yale that cannot be found at other schools? Is there anything that yale provides very well to its students? Are there any special programs that yale offers its students (service wise, or other)

@WesternBlot

Last edited:
Is there anything unique to yale that cannot be found at other schools? Is there anything that yale provides very well to its students? Are there any special programs that yale offers its students (service wise, or other)

@WesternBlot

This strikes me as a very lazy question, especially since you've posted similar questions in multiple school threads now. We can help but we're not here to write your secondaries or do your research homework for you

Reactions: 9 users
This strikes me as a very lazy question, especially since you've posted similar questions in multiple school threads now. We can help but we're not here to write your secondaries or do your research homework for you
There's that Yale System independence and initiative in action!

where can i find out that juicy stuff that's not on the website then? Trying to get into yale fam help me out

where can i find out that juicy stuff that's not on the website then? Trying to get into yale fam help me out
The website is more than sufficient. There are lists of clubs, research groups, and extensive curriculum descriptions. Don't forget that Yale as a university has a ton of ECs going on from sports to arts to quiz bowl. You don't need an extra leg up like that

The website is more than sufficient. There are lists of clubs, research groups, and extensive curriculum descriptions. Don't forget that Yale as a university has a ton of ECs going on from sports to arts to quiz bowl. You don't need an extra leg up like that

Quiz bowl?! That's it. I'm sold. Yale automatic first choice.

Totally feel free to ask about anything specific, but I think that it's always best when students hone in on what they find interesting from a school. (I wrote about things that ended up not being that interesting to me, so it'll all change when you get here, too!) The important part is that it reveals something about you--not the other way around.

The Graduate & Professional student only bar has trivia on Mondays. :D

Yale jumped waaaay up my list when I found out about the Medical School Symphony Orchestra. +pity+ (Also yes, I know that emoji is technically "pity," but it's the only one with an instrument in it.)

Reactions: 3 users
There's a big difference between coming here to ask about something specific you're interested in or that you wonder if it exists at Yale and taking the lazy route to ask for unique things about the school so your secondary can be stronger and you can get in. I, for one, am more than happy to help with the former but I will not condone the latter. (Especially for a new member who hasn't made much contribution to these forums)

Guys what are your thoughts on the optional CV? I feel like the majority of it is already on my primary, but it might be good to give the AdCom a refresher?

Guys what are your thoughts on the optional CV? I feel like the majority of it is already on my primary, but it might be good to give the AdCom a refresher?
The CV part was optional?

Yeah CV is optional. If you have one made, just put it in. I mean a real CV, not a professional style resume. If you don't have one made and need to spend a lot of time putting it together, between the snapshot and primary there's big no reason to do it

Oh god, wrote 'Yale Medical School' instead of 'Yale School of Medicine' on my secondary. Whoops.

Oh god, wrote 'Yale Medical School' instead of 'Yale School of Medicine' on my secondary. Whoops.
Not the worst thing you could do. On one of mine I accidentally wrote the correct name of the school in one place and then farther down I wrote another schools name. Not expecting an interview there anymore.

Even people here say Yale Medical School from time to time. You're okay. But it's annoying, it's like...we're not Harvard

Submitted my secondary today, really hoping to at least get an interview!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I'm just looking for a little help with expectation management. I received my secondary a few days ago, I'm from Texas and was waiting for my MCAT scores to come in before I sent off the AMCAS (didn't want to waste money if it wasn't great). But I ended up with a 516--also graduated in May with a 3.88 in Neuro from UT austin. I'm still not sure how available that makes a school like Yale so I wanted to get some input before I get too excited. I keep bouncing between hope and "am I just kidding myself?". Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance!

You sit right about the accepted average stats for Yale (3.9, 31) so I'd definitely throw my hat in if I were you!

Edit: your MCAT is more like a 35 so even better

You sit right about the accepted average stats for Yale (3.9, 31) so I'd definitely throw my hat in if I were you!

Edit: your MCAT is more like a 35 so even better
I don't believe the average accepted MCAT is 31, where are you getting that number?

@verum sanatore

Mmm... I can't remember if the number in the MSAR is the accepted class or the matriculated class. I think that it is the accepted, which means that it tends to be inflated compared to the matriculated number. When I was looking at the packet that Yale hands out this past admissions cycle when I was giving tours, I think that the median MCAT was somewhere around 35 or 36. I don't know anything about the new MCAT since I took mine 3 years ago now, but I would say that if you're close then go for it (notwithstanding considerations like finances). From what people are saying, it doesn't sound unreasonable, and I think that the interview process is a huge part of the process at Yale. Not to mention that if you find yourself loving the school's philosophy and truly want to go here, you should apply.

Honestly, medical school admissions, especially at the top schools, is a crap shoot since there are so many qualified applicants. As for expectation management, don't expect to get in, but I do think that you have a chance that merits applying!!

@verum sanatore

Mmm... I can't remember if the number in the MSAR is the accepted class or the matriculated class. I think that it is the accepted, which means that it tends to be inflated compared to the matriculated number. When I was looking at the packet that Yale hands out this past admissions cycle when I was giving tours, I think that the median MCAT was somewhere around 35 or 36. I don't know anything about the new MCAT since I took mine 3 years ago now, but I would say that if you're close then go for it (notwithstanding considerations like finances). From what people are saying, it doesn't sound unreasonable, and I think that the interview process is a huge part of the process at Yale. Not to mention that if you find yourself loving the school's philosophy and truly want to go here, you should apply.

Honestly, medical school admissions, especially at the top schools, is a crap shoot since there are so many qualified applicants. As for expectation management, don't expect to get in, but I do think that you have a chance that merits applying!!

Wow. You all are awesome. I didn't expect to get such a quick response. I genuinely appreciate the encouragement and I did a lot more research to start tailoring the secondary essay.

Yale seems to have a strong emphasis on training physicians for the "art" of Medicine in addition to the science. They really drove home their course work and opportunity for interdisciplinary work. This is something that I was heavily involved with during undergrad (Interdisciplinary program for Social Inequality & Healthy Policy: i.e. research that combined my neuroscience research on "food addiction" with public health research on potential directions for policy change.), so I genuinely feel like the school is a great fit for what I'd like to do...

Again, thank you for the encouragement! I didn't expect to do as well as I did on the MCAT, so this has all been quite the head game.

You're statistically qualified for Yale but there is other hocus pocus that goes on. You're well within striking distance, though, which is more than most can say. Apply

Wow. You all are awesome. I didn't expect to get such a quick response. I genuinely appreciate the encouragement and I did a lot more research to start tailoring the secondary essay.

Yale seems to have a strong emphasis on training physicians for the "art" of Medicine in addition to the science. They really drove home their course work and opportunity for interdisciplinary work. This is something that I was heavily involved with during undergrad (Interdisciplinary program for Social Inequality & Healthy Policy: i.e. research that combined my neuroscience research on "food addiction" with public health research on potential directions for policy change.), so I genuinely feel like the school is a great fit for what I'd like to do...

Again, thank you for the encouragement! I didn't expect to do as well as I did on the MCAT, so this has all been quite the head game.

Yup! Yale certainly has a great program there. We have many faculty members who focus on the art rather than the science of medicine, which I've truly appreciated. (Our Hematology Section, in particular, seems to be exceptional.) Definitely check out the Humanities in Medicine program that's directed by Dr. Reisman. Plus, we have elective coursework like US Health Justice that might be right up your alley, based on your major.

Your interests are a good fit, so I hope that all goes well!

Has anyone had any issues with letters being received from the admissions office? I've had all my letters submitted to AMCAS for several weeks now, but the secondary still has my letters listed as "Incomplete" and each individual letter as "Not Received"

D0 you guys think I should contact AMCAS about this? Or is this normal?

Has anyone had any issues with letters being received from the admissions office? I've had all my letters submitted to AMCAS for several weeks now, but the secondary still has my letters listed as "Incomplete" and each individual letter as "Not Received"

D0 you guys think I should contact AMCAS about this? Or is this normal?
I've had this problem for other schools. I just contacted each individual school to get the letters processed. They usually responded fairly quickly.