2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Peehaps it is too early to lose hope for the WL, but 20+ people have been added to the FB group since May 1. Not looking very good :unsure: Really hoping that there is more space in the class this year.
lolwut nooooooooooooo, way too early to lose hope. Group is open to all medical students, my classmates are coming into the group left and right. Many people also turn down their WL offers and there's no way to know how many are doing that this year. WL keeps moving until mid-June in the average year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think anon meant the deposit refund since they've withdrawn.

Some of those people could also be folks who have taken a fifth year and are being bumped into our graduating class. There is still time!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not sure if this makes sense since the people being bumped would be first-year students who haven't decided if they want to take a fifth-year or not. Unless you mean people who deferred last year?

More likely, it could be people who are trying to sell furniture to new students. ;) It's that moving time of year, y'all. I wouldn't worry about the Facebook group size much. Current students from other classes will continue to join at some point, so it'll be >200 people, even though there's only 104 per class.

~20% of the class comes from the waitlist, but as a fraction of the entire waitlist pool it is hard to say beyond what is reported in MSAR.

Silverman will be in touch in a few weeks regarding waitlist ranking, if last year is any guide.

Most years I would say that it's above that anecdotally. I haven't gone through and asked every member of my class, but I wouldn't worry too much yet. People only had to have their decisions in at the end of April, so the movement from that is still shaking out. You have to remember that people who are accepted at YSM may end up matriculating elsewhere after getting of WLs at other schools. Why they would leave who knows, but they do. Every year there's stories of students who move into school at Stanford and get the WL call from HMS the day before and leave, so there's a lot of movement for a bit of time. Director Silverman normally lets people know when the movement is trickling down if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to note that both this thread and the Yale med c/o 2021 Facebook group are much quieter than some of the other school threads/groups that I've observed. I wonder why.

I just want to note that both this thread and the Yale med c/o 2021 Facebook group are much quieter than some of the other school threads/groups that I've observed. I wonder why.

The mellowness of Yale translates online.

Anybody else psyched for MOOT?

MOOT is great! Would highly recommend to anyone else if it's still open for registration. Great way to get to know a few of your classmates really, really well before you get thrown into the 104 person pool.

lolwut nooooooooooooo, way too early to lose hope. Group is open to all medical students, my classmates are coming into the group left and right. Many people also turn down their WL offers and there's no way to know how many are doing that this year. WL keeps moving until mid-June in the average year.

THANKS @avgn !! Got the email on Friday evening, and the call on Saturday morning!!! :D

Idk...count the number of active student users ITT this year. It's like 6-8? I believe plenty of people have go on SDN but how many of them actually have accounts and post who knows

Idk...count the number of active student users ITT this year. It's like 6-8? I believe plenty of people have go on SDN but how many of them actually have accounts and post who knows

I didn't join sdn until this February, but now I'm hooked. I'm easily identifiable by my posts, so I'm just curious who I might run into who has also been here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't join sdn until this February, but now I'm hooked. I'm easily identifiable by my posts, so I'm just curious who I might run into who has also been here.

People will sometimes figure it out. Depends on how identifiable you are / whether or not you share it with people / how many people are dedicated to figuring it out. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

People will sometimes figure it out. Depends on how identifiable you are / whether or not you share it with people / how many people are dedicated to figuring it out. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

Nah, I'm not worried. I try not to say anything on here I wouldn't say in real life. I think it's good practice to never feel too anonymous online.

Hey does anyone know when the waitlist movement typically ends? Does the process continue all the way into July, or is it reasonable to expect it to be over in June?

Richard will be emailing you in 2 weeks or so with how everything looks so far (# spots filled and your place in the waitlist). That's the best information you're gonna get

Richard will be emailing you in 2 weeks or so with how everything looks so far (# spots filled and your place in the waitlist). That's the best information you're gonna get
Just got this waitlist email. It's nice how transparent they are compared to other schools!

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Just got this waitlist email. It's nice how transparent they are compared to other schools!
#Richard4Prez2020

..or should we stick to Tricky Dick? Unsure :shifty:

#Richard4Prez2020

..or should we stick to Tricky Dick? Unsure :shifty:

lol I had a question for admissions last month and Richard answered the phone with just "what's up?"

Reminded me why I chose Yale.

Wow the email said only <10% of the waitlisted ppl were in Group 1. If the waitlist is indeed ~75-85 ppl, that means there are only ~8 Group 1 ppl?!?!

This is pretty small!

So for those who are at Yale. What are the realistic chances for group 2, also when I call in during call hours what should I say/do?

So for those who are at Yale. What are the realistic chances for group 2, also when I call in during call hours what should I say/do?
Just an additional question to this post -- what we said or asked about during the call hours will (hopefully) not be counted in our admissions decision... right?

Judging from previous years' threads, not sure if there is a group 1 or 3. What's the best way to not give unrealistic hope and not come off as insulting? Place everyone in tier 2 in a "3 tier" system.
I'm pretty sure I saw someone from Group 3 from a thread from one of the previous years. As for Group 1, one of my college roommates who applied last cycle was placed in Group 1.

I don't think Dean Silverman needs to lie about these things.

Group 1 is already in. People from group 2 are next on the block. Group 3 is tapped in case of unexpected reductions in retention.

Reactions: 3 users
Wishing the best to those on the wait list, and hopefully you guys will join us here in August! (I never fully appreciated how difficult waiting can be until this year. I was pulled from the WL on May 20, so keep your heads up!):happy:

A few questions to current students, or anyone who may be able to answer:
1. Is family allowed to stay with us in Harkness for a few days before and after the White Coat Ceremony? (Trying to save some money on hotels and Airbnb).
2. If yes to Q1, do you think we would be allowed to borrow the cots that are typically used to host interviewees?
3. Would I be charged an additional rate for an early move in at Harkness if I choose to participate in MOOT? (I would really love to go, but $100 participation fee+ about $200 for early move in would be quite steep).
4. Is there a cap on the number of guests we can bring to the White Coat Ceremony?

Last edited:
Group 2 has a realistic chance of getting in. How big that group is or how many people get off varies widely by year. We couldn't even guess if we were to and we definitely don't know the answer. Sucks I know, but that's the best you're gonna get and it's already way better than what you know from your WLs at other schools. Honest Richard is honest, but he ain't Tricky Dick for no reason right, every admissions guy has aces up his/her sleeve ;)

Wishing the best to those on the wait list, and hopefully you guys will join us here in August! (I never fully appreciated how difficult waiting can be until this year. I was pulled from the WL on May 20, so keep your heads up!):happy:

1. Is family allowed to stay with us in Harkness for a few days before and after the White Coat Ceremony? (Trying to save some money on hotels and Airbnb).
2. If yes to Q1, do you think we would be allowed to borrow the cots that are typically used to host interviewees?
3. Would I be charged an additional rate for an early move in at Harkness if I choose to participate in MOOT? (I would really love to go, but $100 participation fee+ about $200 for early move in would be quite steep).
4. Is there a cap on the number of guests we can bring to the White Coat Ceremony?

1. yes
2. yes (almost definitely, you can email housing office if you want to make sure.
3. No. no early moving charge as far as I remember.
3. no.

Normally, Group 2 is pulled into.

Agree with above. Just beware the rooms are small.

Did anyone who got through during the calling hours today find out how many spots are available?

Very important question:

Is the wifi in harkness legit enough to support Xbox live without lag?

Very important question:

The wifi is very good in my room. Over 50 Mbps when I last tested it.

Very important question:

Yes. Very rarely it craps out for a little bit but it's very good

to WL people - not insanely great/widely-applicable news *but* I'll be withdrawing my acceptance here in the next few days and I really hope at least one of you gets in off the WL, y'all have been awesome :)

Why you leavin?

upload_2017-6-21_22-25-13.png

Very important question:

This was from last year Harkness.

What do you guys use for air conditioning in Harkness?

What do you guys use for air conditioning in Harkness?
You suffer for around 3 weeks in August and then the winter darkness sets in so you'll never need it again. If you stay the next year, you exact bodily harm upon those who were able to get the 4th floor rooms in the housing lottery and then enjoy your AC during the summer (if you're here for research, that is).

You suffer for around 3 weeks in August and then the winter darkness sets in so you'll never need it again. If you stay the next year, you exact bodily harm upon those who were able to get the 4th floor rooms in the housing lottery and then enjoy your AC during the summer (if you're here for research, that is).

I'm considering getting a portable AC unit. Does anyone do that?

Anyone pulled off the wait list recently?

I called in today - Silverman said at this point class is full and short of a "July surprise" we should carry on not expecting any movement. Apparently they were expecting some people to defer and nobody did.

It's almost time!