2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how Yale handles incomplete requirements when applying? I took AP Chem and Bio and used those credits to get out of Gen Chem and Intro Bio. It's not a problem for bio, since I'm a biology major and have taken plenty of advanced biology classes. However, the extent of my college chemistry is organic (2 semesters plus a separate 3 credit lab course) and biochemistry (1 semester plus lab). Will they reject my app because I don't have advanced classes in Inorganic Chem to fulfill the requirement? Or will they just ask (if I'm invited for an interview) how I plan on completing the requirement?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I am not mistaken, they do issue a secondary to everyone who applies.

You are required to fill out your final year expected classes when you file your app.

There are two ways most schools handle requirements - 1. check your transcript to see completion and 2. check your future plan to see expected completion.

If they don't see it in either area, they can decide not to interview you.

Very likely an incoming MS1 here. Ask away to the extent I can answer!

Requirements are required for matriculation, not acceptance. This applies for all schools, though some can be more picky about what needs to be done by when and why. Yale doesn't give a ****

Btw everybody gets a secondary and it's always the same: Please explain your interest in the Yale School of Medicine. 500 words, enforced by text box word count. Also an option to upload CV as well

Dream school. Yale probably 2 kool for me though.

Would you know how many applicants upload a CV? And what utility would a CV have beyond the AMCAS work/activities?

The CV is unnecessary for most applicants, do not fuss over it. If you have one ready to go, upload it if you want. If you don't have one, don't waste time making one.

How does Yale view low overall GPAs wth a very strong upward trend? (Assuming good MCAT score, etc)?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does Yale view low overall GPAs wth a very strong upward trend? (Assuming good MCAT score, etc)?
No one here is going to be able to give you a good answer to that. As long as the GPA is not below conventional cutoff screens, your app should get a full read holistically.

Strong +1 game going on here

can someone please tell me some unique things about Yale. I am not from the States, and therefore do not know the area/school that well. Thanks

can someone please tell me some unique things about Yale. I am not from the States, and therefore do not know the area/school that well. Thanks
They have a pretty heavy focus on research and require that their med students publish a research thesis. They also have an optional 5th year and allow you to take classes for free from other schools within the university, although I have seen those last two at a few other med schools as well. They try to create a non-competitive environment among their students with no grades in their 2 pre-clinical years and optional exams. That's just all info that I found on their website, I'm not from the area at all either. Also, I'd double check any of my previous statements against info on their site before you include any of it in your essay, it's been a while since I've written mine and so some of that info might have some slight inaccuracies to it.

Reactions: 1 users
Received and submitted!

Still not verified....
This is getting old.

Received secondary! Also, re: unique things about Yale, they have a medical school symphony orchestra. As a musician that is actually a big plus for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone explain what they want in your snapshot? Do they only want a few activities that show who I am (hence the "snapshot") or do they want EVERYTHING. Just listing out all my shadowing experiences will be a hassle. Also, for the "any other information," should we fill it out?

Can someone explain what they want in your snapshot? Do they only want a few activities that show who I am (hence the "snapshot") or do they want EVERYTHING. Just listing out all my shadowing experiences will be a hassle. Also, for the "any other information," should we fill it out?
What's the actual wording? Trying to see if it's the same thing I had last year or if it changed.

Any other info is exactly what it sounds like. Is there anything that is not in your app that you would like to discuss. Do not put meaningless filler

In this section of the Supplemental Application, please provide a synopsis of your activities, achievements, and distinctions. You may include as many activities, achievements, and distinctions as you wish, whether or not they were included in the "Experience Description" section of your AMCAS application.

To be clear, you do not need to repeat the detailed passages from the "Experience Description" section of your AMCAS application. Instead, we are looking for a bullet-point list that will provide a "snapshot" of your activities, achievements, and distinctions.

Please list your activities and achievements in priority order, starting with the ones most important to you. When creating this list, please use actual or projected future dates. Do not say "present" or "current," as these terms are often ambiguous or misleading at the time your application is being read. Also, please specify the location of your activity if it is not obvious from context. For example, "Shadowing neurosurgeon, Yale New Haven Hospital" is more informative than "Shadowing neurosurgeon" without the name of the hospital.

Example "Snapshot" List
Molecular Biology thesis research, 2015-2016
Varsity Crew, 2013-2016 (Captain, 2015-2016)
2nd Author, paper published in Cell Biology
Nursing Home Volunteer, New Haven, CT, 2012-2014
Shadowing Neurosurgeon, Yale New Haven Hospital, summer 2015
Teaching Assistant, freshman biology, 2014-2015
Camp Counselor, Memphis (home) summers 2012-2014
Sales Assistant, Banana Republic, Memphis (home) summer 2013

One of the main reasons I am applying to Yale is because my girlfriend will be living in New Haven next year. Would this be appropriate for inclusion in the Why Yale essay or better left in the additional information section?

One of the main reasons I am applying to Yale is because my girlfriend will be living in New Haven next year. Would this be appropriate for inclusion in the Why Yale essay or better left in the additional information section?

Focus on the school in the Why Yale essay - additional information is best for social considerations

In this section of the Supplemental Application, please provide a synopsis of your activities, achievements, and distinctions. You may include as many activities, achievements, and distinctions as you wish, whether or not they were included in the "Experience Description" section of your AMCAS application.

To be clear, you do not need to repeat the detailed passages from the "Experience Description" section of your AMCAS application. Instead, we are looking for a bullet-point list that will provide a "snapshot" of your activities, achievements, and distinctions.

Please list your activities and achievements in priority order, starting with the ones most important to you. When creating this list, please use actual or projected future dates. Do not say "present" or "current," as these terms are often ambiguous or misleading at the time your application is being read. Also, please specify the location of your activity if it is not obvious from context. For example, "Shadowing neurosurgeon, Yale New Haven Hospital" is more informative than "Shadowing neurosurgeon" without the name of the hospital.

Example "Snapshot" List
Molecular Biology thesis research, 2015-2016
Varsity Crew, 2013-2016 (Captain, 2015-2016)
2nd Author, paper published in Cell Biology
Nursing Home Volunteer, New Haven, CT, 2012-2014
Shadowing Neurosurgeon, Yale New Haven Hospital, summer 2015
Teaching Assistant, freshman biology, 2014-2015
Camp Counselor, Memphis (home) summers 2012-2014
Sales Assistant, Banana Republic, Memphis (home) summer 2013
Ok it's the same then. It's pretty self-explanatory what they want, "include as many [things] as you wish." I took my CV and listed all the positions I've had using the format they gave. For your question about multiple shadowing, just do like "Shadowing multiple physicians, [hospital name], [time period]" If you've got multiple hospitals you could probably combine it too or just list each location in its own line.

Ok it's the same then. It's pretty self-explanatory what they want, "include as many [things] as you wish." I took my CV and listed all the positions I've had using the format they gave. For your question about multiple shadowing, just do like "Shadowing multiple physicians, [hospital name], [time period]" If you've got multiple hospitals you could probably combine it too or just list each location in its own line.
Perfect. You're very helpful :)

Can someone please post the exact secondary prompt?

Can someone please post the exact secondary prompt?
Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in Yale School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 500 words

Secondary submitted and it says that my application is now in review. Now to hope for an interview.

No one here is going to be able to give you a good answer to that. As long as the GPA is not below conventional cutoff screens, your app should get a full read holistically.

What is likely the conventional cutoff screen for Yale?

What is likely the conventional cutoff screen for Yale?
Usually people think like 3.0 but that's blind guess...if you're more than 0.2 less than the 10th percentile at Yale though, it's gonna be a long road

Hey guys, I have included some stuff about the early clinical exposure at Yale due to the Longitudinal Clinical Experience pilot. However, I have realized that this is a pilot program, and therefore was wondering if it is still going on and if it is safe to be included in the secondary essay. Thanks,

So I found it weird that I still hadn't gotten the secondary. I went to yale's website and it said that some applicants have problems using hotmail. Should I email them asking for the link to the secondary?

@AAAmeds LCE is here to stay. Website has not been updated so far. However, note that many many schools have included this early clinical exposure in their curricula, so it's not exactly a uniquely Yale thing. Doesn't mean you can't include it, but many schools have the same thing.

@PeruvianMD You can't really just say "gimme the link." I can give you the link right here: https://application.med.yale.edu/Security/Login.aspx but you need login information from Yale. So if it's not set up, having the link does no good. Do not worry about this now...everyone will get the secondary with plenty of time to submit. IIs don't come until late August so it is plenty early