2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@AAAmeds LCE is here to stay. Website has not been updated so far. However, note that many many schools have included this early clinical exposure in their curricula, so it's not exactly a uniquely Yale thing. Doesn't mean you can't include it, but many schools have the same thing.

Do you know if there is anything unique about it at Yale that I can point out. I find it pretty fascinating that they have a simulation room for students, but I do not want to sound generic and boring. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know if there is anything unique about it at Yale that I can point out. I find it pretty fascinating that they have a simulation room for students, but I do not want to sound generic and boring. Thanks :)
Google Yale system of medical education. Requires a lot of self motivation, maturity, etc. By far the most unique thing about the school

Google Yale system of medical education. Requires a lot of self motivation, maturity, etc. By far the most unique thing about the school

I have included stuff about the Yale System already. I meant anything unique about LCE specifically. Thank you though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't really tell you much more than what is available online, but as avgn says, it would be fine to talk about it as a point that interests you. Even if other medical schools offer similar programs, it doesn't invalidate your interest!

FYI most all medical schools will have some sort of simulation in their curriculum for medical students. I currently work in Surgical Simulation at a medical school/teaching hospital. So if you do write about it, I would suggest writing about why the one at Yale is of particular interest to you because it's not that uncommon.

Received secondary! Also, re: unique things about Yale, they have a medical school symphony orchestra. As a musician that is actually a big plus for me.
That's so cool of them! (a plus for me as well as a fellow musician) What instrument do you play?

I have included stuff about the Yale System already. I meant anything unique about LCE specifically. Thank you though :)
The most unique thing I have heard about LCE is that it sucks compared to what we used to have. Good news I know right lmao

It says Yale does not have rolling admissions - how much of a disadvantage would I be if I don't submit its app in the generally recommended "two week turnaround" period? I haven't written its essay yet, and there are a few other schools I'd like to prioritize....

It says Yale does not have rolling admissions - how much of a disadvantage would I be if I don't submit its app in the generally recommended "two week turnaround" period? I haven't written its essay yet, and there are a few other schools I'd like to prioritize....

Where does it say that?

Where does it say that?
The two week turnaround idea is just a general guideline to make sure you don't procrastinate to much. I've only heard of a couple schools which actually have a hard rule on how much time you have to complete the secondary after they send it to you.

I meant where does it say that Yale doesnt have a rolling admission

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted! I hate when the secondary asks for lists of activities that are already on AMCAS lol

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted! I hate when the secondary asks for lists of activities that are already on AMCAS lol
Just filled out miami's. It's like they aren't even going to look at the primary. Had to list out all my grades for pre-reqs, categorize and write dates for every EC, ALONG with the standard 3 essays. GUH

Miami better be like what will smith promised me

I prewrote Miami and it still took well over an hour.

Trumpet! You?

Fellow trumpeteer checking in. If we both get accepted, let's start a brass quintet? We'll have to come up with some nerdy medical name for it of course...

Fellow trumpeteer checking in. If we both get accepted, let's start a brass quintet? We'll have to come up with some nerdy medical name for it of course...
I played the tuba!

Reactions: 1 users
Please?! I have been so worried about not being able to continue playing in medical school.

As far a music goes I personally would love to join Yale's Acapella group.

As far a music goes I personally would love to join Yale's Acapella group.
It's funny that there's only 1 group for grad/prof students but there are like 20+ for undergrads...

It's funny that there's only 1 group for grad/prof students but there are like 20+ for undergrads...

20+ undergrad a capella groups? Really?

@avgn So for the snapshot, in the example that Yale provides, it only includes Year of the activity. Is that sufficient? From the prompt, it sounds like they want actual dates because it says "please use actual or projected dates".

Also, should I list my Honors and Awards as well? @avgn

Edit: just saw the Achievement box.

Last edited:
Usually people think like 3.0 but that's blind guess...if you're more than 0.2 less than the 10th percentile at Yale though, it's gonna be a long road
Oh sorry I meant for MCAT! What do you think the cutoff is percentile-wise?

http://yalesgc.com/
The 15 top-tier ones form a council. There are at least 5 other more casual ones, so yeah 20+

That is weird. They have rush for getting into these groups??? I wish I could be in the "Whiffenpoofs" but I'm not a Yale undergrad or a man.

@avgn So for the snapshot, in the example that Yale provides, it only includes Year of the activity. Is that sufficient? From the prompt, it sounds like they want actual dates because it says "please use actual or projected dates".
Don't think it matters. It's a snapshot so it's meant to be quick and dirty. I would follow the example and only use years unless the activity was <1 yr, for which you should put the months

Oh sorry I meant for MCAT! What do you think the cutoff is percentile-wise?
Again, I'd be blindly guessing. But below 30/508 and you'll have a bad time...maybe cutoff is 28/505 but who really knows. Yale looks like the kind of caring place to read every single application, though. Admin very very nice :shrug: I wouldn't worry too much, apply if you can afford it

Not gonna lie, I'm definitely not getting in here; I applied because if I went, the first letter of the schools I've attended would spell out "WHY" and I like the idea that my degrees question the universe

Reactions: 6 users
Should I include CT residency in my answer to Why Yale? I know they don't care about IS vs. OOS but it is a factor for me.

Should I include CT residency in my answer to Why Yale? I know they don't care about IS vs. OOS but it is a factor for me.

Maybe mention it, but only 1-2 lines max.

Seriously that thing was monstrous.

Ooh pick me! I play the saxophone.

Ooh I play saxophone too! I'm primarily a piccolo player but everyone hates me for it, so I think I'll leave that one at home

Ooh I play saxophone too! I'm primarily a piccolo player but everyone hates me for it, so I think I'll leave that one at home
Gasp! A piccolo?! My eardrums!!!

Seriously though I like piccolos when theres like one of them.

Gasp! A piccolo?! My eardrums!!!

Seriously though I like piccolos when theres like one of them.

Hey thanks! I like it besides the hearing loss in my right ear lol

Hey thanks! I like it besides the hearing loss in my right ear lol
Would any current students be willing to read my Yale Secondary essay response?

3.9 gpa 518 MCAT at a little no name school in Florida. Desperately trying to escape this place and need all the help I can get!

@SteyrSteven you can PM me and email. Same goes for everyone else in this thread. This offer only stands for Why Yale essays

Got an email that said "sale" in the subject line and I thought for a split second that it said "Yale". How disappointing.

Reactions: 4 users