2016-2017 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh I just got an email from someone's first name with the subject "WMed...." and had a heart attack thinking it was someone to schedule an interview with. It wasn't.

The fact that we got this e-mail means that our application status is 'experiences review,' right? For some reason my application status on the portal just says when I submitted the secondary, nothing about review. But I did get that e-mail saying they were going to review it...

Members don't see this ad.

The fact that we got this e-mail means that our application status is 'experiences review,' right? For some reason my application status on the portal just says when I submitted the secondary, nothing about review. But I did get that e-mail saying they were going to review it...

I got two separate emails a day apart. One basically just said my app was complete, the next said I made it to experience review.

If you submitted your secondary, it will be reviewed, unless you don't meet the minimum score cutoff (I think thats still a thing?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email that my experience review was finished and I am now under consideration for a phone interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like I have the Experience Review email too, but the way it's worded it looks like a routine review of everyone who submits the secondary?

They certainly don't phone interview every person who submits a secondary right? That would be an incredible amount of resources to spend.
No I meant the Experience Review, was asking how do you know if that's another level of selection . Ofcourse they won't telephone interview everyone .
Anyways it doesn't really matter we will find out eventually :)

Any tips on how to get on the secondary? I am having trouble viewing it. I've tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox. My javascript is enable. I have a MAC. Help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the experiences review email today as well. I wonder how selective they are for this?

Helpful numbers from the website:

"For the class of 2019, we received 3,993 applications for the class of 60 students. We conducted 661 phone interviews, and met 321 candidates on campus for interviews." And seated a class of 60.

The number of applicants has steadily gone up each year, So I would guestimate that we'll have 5500-6500 applications, do ~700-750 phone interviews, ~350-400 on campus interviews, and seat a class of 84. The process whittles down quite a bit at each step.

Those numbers are rough estimates based on the trend over the last 3 years, so take them with a grain of salt. Still, I hope that's helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
It was fairly easy compared to NYMC's CASPer test, which isn't hard either. You don't need to prepare for it. It looks at personality, motivation and behavior in various situations. Not that different NYMC's CASPer test, but at least it's multiple choice instead of open response.

Hi would you mind sharing how the test was easy? I've heard its supposed to be a hard test because it ranks you (rather than just pass/fail), so it's not just about being able to answer the questions half decently, it's about being able to answer the questions BETTER than other applicants which I think makes it a very hard test. I've been studying for CASPer for the last several weeks and feel my performance has improved significantly so we'll see.

Anybody having trouble with the secondary? I logged in but the page became blank. It was working last night. :(

I received the confirmation that they had received my primary a week ago and said they would be reviewing it as to whether or not I would receive a secondary. Kind of weirded out that it's taken a week at this stage in the game. I'm a LizzyM 71 (OOS but MSAR doesn't seem to indicate that should be sufficient to bar me pre-secondary). Did anyone else wait this long recently? I know, I know, neuroses fully engaged here.

Hi would you mind sharing how the test was easy? I've heard its supposed to be a hard test because it ranks you (rather than just pass/fail), so it's not just about being able to answer the questions half decently, it's about being able to answer the questions BETTER than other applicants which I think makes it a very hard test. I've been studying for CASPer for the last several weeks and feel my performance has improved significantly so we'll see.

there's no "passing" or "failing". It's just like a personality test and there's not one right or wrong answer. You literally do not need to study for this. Shouldn't even call it a test. It's more like a survey, like one of those Myers-Briggs personality tests.

Has anyone received a phone interview invite yet? If so how far apart from the "under review" e-mail did you receive it?

Has anyone received a phone interview invite yet? If so how far apart from the "under review" e-mail did you receive it?
In last years thread it looked like about a 1 week turnaround between review started and review completed, then at least a week after that before any phone IIs.

I can type fairly quickly so I can provide solid answers within the time limit given. In comparison to other tests I have taken, the CASPer test is very easy.

just received the experiences review email

does this mean if we don't hear back regarding a phone interview in about a week that it's quite possibly a silent rejection?

I can type fairly quickly so I can provide solid answers within the time limit given. In comparison to other tests I have taken, the CASPer test is very easy.

hahah you should check out the NYMC thread and see what people are saying about the CASPer..

Reactions: 1 user

does this mean if we don't hear back regarding a phone interview in about a week that it's quite possibly a silent rejection?
+1 complete yesterday

I hope not! I'm nearing a week from when I went into review.

+1 complete yesterday

I applied this cycle, and when I was wondering about the process, I always just looked at the previous year's thread. I seem to remember that there were definitely people that got phone interviews weeks or even months after their initial experience review. (But you may wanna look back and double check)

Am I missing something?? I didn't see a CASPer requirement anywhere on the WMU app. Or was that the survey we had to fill out after we submitted the secondary?

Am I missing something?? I didn't see a CASPer requirement anywhere on the WMU app. Or was that the survey we had to fill out after we submitted the secondary?
They're talking about the post secondary personality test. When they receive your secondary, WMed sends you a link to take the test.

They're talking about the post secondary personality test. When they receive your secondary, WMed sends you a link to take the test.

yup! no CASPer here, thank goodness. just a nice multiple choice personality test, which in my opinion was much less stressful than the CASPer required for other schools.

yup! no CASPer here, thank goodness. just a nice multiple choice personality test, which in my opinion was much less stressful than the CASPer required for other schools.
Gotcha, gotcha. I knocked that out. The only school I'm applying to that looks like they want to CASPer is CMU.

Just got an email. Apparently I have "Completed the experiences review and am now under consideration for a telephone interview"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was complete 7/22 and am got an email today saying I was complete with experience review and am now considered for a telephone interview

I was complete 7/22 and am got an email today saying I was complete with experience review and am now considered for a telephone interview
Do you know when you started experience review , you must have gotten an email then .

My experience review start 7/21. No word since.

Did u get an email notifying u abt the telephone interview or was it a portal update

I got an email notifying me that the experiences review is over and I'm now under consideration for a telephone interview. It explains a little bit about the telephone interview but no dates or times were given.

I got an email notifying me that the experiences review is over and I'm now under consideration for a telephone interview. It explains a little bit about the telephone interview but no dates or times were given.

Ok thanks

"NAME"

Our application has completed the Experiences Review step in the application review process at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine and is now under consideration for a Telephone Interview. The Telephone Interview is unique to WMed and is designed to give you the opportunity to showcase your personal attributes. Telephone Interview invitations are extended on a rolling basis and you could be invited at any time in the cycle. If selected, you will receive an email with instructions. You are welcome to follow the status of your application at: http://wmed.empower-xl.com or to review the process at http://med.wmich.edu/app.

Experience review finished 7/26
Still no word on the phone interview

Experience review started 7/20....still no word :(
I'm thinking thats probably not a good sign.