2016-2017 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted unfortunately, does anyone know if there is alot of waitlist movement at wvu som

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted unfortunately, does anyone know if there is alot of waitlist movement at wvu som
There likely won't be any movement until April, but they do apparently accept a decent chunk from their WL who haven't withdrawn by then (I think I remember hearing ~50 spots are filled by WLers.) Chances are probably less than 50% but are likely still good!

To those OOS who flew in the Pittsburg airport, what time did you schedule your incoming and outgoing flights. Also, how did you get to morgantown from there?
I arrived the evening before and rented a car. Flew out the following evening around 8pm, but definitely could have scheduled earlier.

Reactions: 1 user
To those OOS who flew in the Pittsburg airport, what time did you schedule your incoming and outgoing flights. Also, how did you get to morgantown from there?
Arrived 4:55pm in Pittsburgh the day before the interview. Flew out at 5:15pm the day after the interview. Rented a car and drove 1.5 hours.

So you had enough time after the interview to drive 1.5 hrs back to Pittsburgh and make a 5:15pm flight?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I flew out the day after my interview. Though my interview ended at around 2:30, so I guess it wouldve possible if I was super lucky with traffic and breezed through security.

You can request to interview early if you have a flight to catch.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any info on how many students from the wait list got pulled last year for a seat? I'm also wondering how many were oos students. I'm on the wait list and am an oos student so I'm hoping for the best!

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Anyone have any info on how many students from the wait list got pulled last year for a seat? I'm also wondering how many were oos students. I'm on the wait list and am an oos student so I'm hoping for the best!

I heard about 50ish from earlier in the forum! From discussing with past students, they are really interested in update letters.

I heard 50% of last year's admitted class were off the waitlist

Damn that's not bad odds then!

Not necessarily. IIRC according to the MSAR (correct me if I'm wrong), the class size is approximately 170 students with ~600 oos students interview. Assuming that no IS students are wait listed and 90% of oos students are, your chances of getting off the wait list would be roughly 85/540 or 16%. Of course, percentages and numbers will vary from year to year but I'm guessing it's still low :(

Not necessarily. IIRC according to the MSAR (correct me if I'm wrong), the class size is approximately 170 students with ~600 oos students interview. Assuming that no IS students are wait listed and 90% of oos students are, your chances of getting off the wait list would be roughly 85/540 or 16%. Of course, percentages and numbers will vary from year to year but I'm guessing it's still low :(
Even worse, class size is 110 lol I keep going back and forth with attending my interview for this reason, especially since I am international.

Hey, here's to hoping!

Even worse, class size is 110 lol I keep going back and forth with attending my interview for this reason, especially since I am international.
Yikes. In that case, it'll be closer to 10%. Though that's still better than Duke or USC where wait list is pretty much a rejection. If you have the means, I'd go for it. Though unless you really match their mission or have ties, you're likely to end up on the wait list with the rest of us :/

Hey, here's to hoping!

It's not a rejection!

Even the strongest ties to the school or state do not necessarily mean acceptance. They want high OOS stats for a seat. Not saying you guys don't have a shot just most definitely have a back up plan.

In case anyone knows, why does this school interview almost 800 for 110 seats? Just seems odd to interview and then waitlist so many

In case anyone knows, why does this school interview almost 800 for 110 seats? Just seems odd to interview and then waitlist so many

My guess is they either want to pick the cream of the crop OOS students or they have low yield posts acceptance. Possibly a combination of both.

I don't know about other med schools, but at least for residency that seems perfectly reasonable. Most programs I'm applying to take 5-10% of the people they interview so 110/800 is actually much better odds than that. I think they just want to be able to find about 200-250 or so people who really fit in with the school so they get a good final class.

I don't know about other med schools, but at least for residency that seems perfectly reasonable. Most programs I'm applying to take 5-10% of the people they interview so 110/800 is actually much better odds than that. I think they just want to be able to find about 200-250 or so people who really fit in with the school so they get a good final class.

From what I've seen, most schools accept a third of the students they interview. Never knew residency programs accepted so little people :O

From what I've seen, most schools accept a third of the students they interview. Never knew residency programs accepted so little people :O

Oh okay, then 13% is quite different lol. Yeah, the match is oh so fun! Haha

The way I read what people have said is that when they say 90% of OOS students are waitlisted they are saying that, of those that matriculate 90% were at one point on the waitlist. They're not saying that 90% of OOS interviewees are waitlisted, many are rejected. So I would imagine that the waitlist isn't as large as what you are saying, so the odds are probably a little better than what you are saying.

(This is just my understanding, I could be incorrect.)

The way I read what people have said is that when they say 90% of OOS students are waitlisted they are saying that, of those that matriculate 90% were at one point on the waitlist. They're not saying that 90% of OOS interviewees are waitlisted, many are rejected. So I would imagine that the waitlist isn't as large as what you are saying, so the odds are probably a little better than what you are saying.

(This is just my understanding, I could be incorrect.)
Huh. I never thought of it that way! I don't recall reading of anyone on the forum being rejected post interview (sorry if I missed your post!) but it could be due to sampling bias.

Huh. I never thought of it that way! I don't recall reading of anyone on the forum being rejected post interview (sorry if I missed your post!) but it could be due to sampling bias.
That and not everyone is on SDN!

I was actually accepted OOS back in October. But that was just my understanding from the thread/talking to current students.

Greetings and Happy New Year!! Does anyone know what type of computer we are given as first year students? Do we get to keep it? Also, of those accepted have you guys received the invoice in the mail already? I received the information package but not the invoice. Accepted way back in October.

Greetings and Happy New Year!! Does anyone know what type of computer we are given as first year students? Do we get to keep it? Also, of those accepted have you guys received the invoice in the mail already? I received the information package but not the invoice. Accepted way back in October.
I was accepted back in october and got the invoice a few weeks later. You should probably call and get that figured out. (There was something on the portal you had to do before they send the invoice if i remember correctly)

the computer you get to purchase (fee charged in addition to your tuition) is a macbook air, which you get to keep once you graduate. note, you must purchase the laptop from the WVU IT dept, as it comes with special exam taking software and a warranty to cover you the entire 4 years of school.

the computer you get to purchase (fee charged in addition to your tuition) is a macbook air, which you get to keep once you graduate. note, you must purchase the laptop from the WVU IT dept, as it comes with special exam taking software and a warranty to cover you the entire 4 years of school.

Is it still a MacBook air even for this year's incoming class? Apple discontinued those this year :/

Is it still a MacBook air even for this year's incoming class? Apple discontinued those this year :/
well, to be honest, i don't know. we haven't yet had the meeting with the different classes to get feedback on the new laptops, and i wasn't aware that the air had been killed off.

Our class got MacBook Pros before they started getting the Airs, hopefully they'll go back to that. L

did anyone get accepted off the waitlist yet? OOS? :( DYING TO GET INTO THIS SCHOOL.

For anyone that interviewed here OOS and flew into the PIT airport, any recommendations on how to get to Morgantown? I am currently planning on renting a car as it seems they grey line bus schedule the school recommends doesn't line up with my flight times. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of any other options. Thanks

For anyone that interviewed here OOS and flew into the PIT airport, any recommendations on how to get to Morgantown? I am currently planning on renting a car as it seems they grey line bus schedule the school recommends doesn't line up with my flight times. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of any other options. Thanks

I drove from Pittsburgh. It was an easy drive in early November. No idea what it's like right now, however.

I drove from Pittsburgh. It was an easy drive in early November. No idea what it's like right now, however.

Thanks for feedback and right, hopefully the weather holds up in the coming weeks

There's also the Megabus, but it doesn't offer many times and doesn't stop at the airport. Renting a car is almost certainly the easiest thing to do.

I took the bus recommended. It's definitely the cheapest option, but you're right - the times offered are terrible. I had to spend six hours in the Pittsburgh airport waiting for my flight on the way home...so it depends on whether you value your time or your money more! ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks I'll stick to renting a car.

Just got waitlisted...absolutely devastated. OOS but with very strong ties to the state. I absolutely loved the school and their mission, and thought I had a pretty good chance of outright acceptance.

Just got waitlisted...absolutely devastated. OOS but with very strong ties to the state. I absolutely loved the school and their mission, and thought I had a pretty good chance of outright acceptance.

I'm sorry but don't take it too hard I'm right there with you. It seems pretty common to be OOS and waitlisted even with amazing ties. Keep your head up.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry but don't take it too hard I'm right there with you. It seems pretty common to be OOS and waitlisted even with amazing ties. Keep your head up.

Thanks for the support! Wishing you all the best for your application cycle as well!

Reactions: 1 users

Keep your head up.. it is a long cycle. I will most likely be withdrawing my acceptance soon, I hope it goes to you :) Good luck

It seems that WVU likes to stay updated on if you are still interested if on the wait list... I would continue to keep them updated on what you are doing in the next couple of months!