2016-2017 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:

As a future physician, it is important that you are able to communicate in an accurate and concise manner. Please answer 4 out of the 5 essays below. Each answer must be 150 words or less.

Why have you chosen to apply to WVU SOM? What opportunities do you foresee yourself taking advantage of during your time here?

Describe the community in which you spent the majority of your early development. What core values did you receive there and how will these translate into the contributions that you will make in medical school and beyond?

What has been your most humbling experience, and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?

Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. How do you see advocacy linked to your role as a physician?

Describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Current WVU student. Feel free to ask anything; I think a bunch of current students visit SDN too so you can get a lot of opinions one whatever you're curious about.

Reactions: 2 users
It seems as if WVU changes their secondary prompts every year. @pfaction Do you mind giving some information regarding your personal experience with the regional preference of the school, secondary screening process, and why you choose the school?

Regional preference: If you're from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, or Virginia, you have a better chance of acceptance since a significant part of the mission of the school is training healthcare providers for rural Appalachia.

Secondary screening: Be a real person. There are many excellent applicants - over 6,000 applications last year. Once you reach the secondary application, they want to know who you are. Put yourself into your secondary prompts. The interviewers will be using these prompts and your application to ask you questions if you get invited for an interview.

Why I chose the school? Many personal reasons, but even if I didn't, I'd choose the school again. I love small towns, and Morgantown has a small town feel, but the convenience of Walmart, a mall, etc... If you like big city living, you won't like Morgantown. My classmates from New York and other large cities are looking forward to going back. The educators genuinely care and are good people. Research isn't a big priority here, but if you have interest it means there are more opportunities for you to pick a mentor and pursue what you want to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the secondary and HOLY CRAP. Not the time that I needed this many essays.

As a future physician, it is important that you are able to communicate in an accurate and concise manner. Please answer 4 out of the 5 essays below. Each answer must be 150 words or less.

Why have you chosen to apply to WVU SOM? What opportunities do you foresee yourself taking advantage of during your time here?

Describe the community in which you spent the majority of your early development. What core values did you receive there and how will these translate into the contributions that you will make in medical school and beyond?

What has been your most humbling experience, and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?

Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. How do you see advocacy linked to your role as a physician?

Describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician.

@WedgeDawg

Ugh. Pre-writing backfire. This is the first secondary I've got that switched up the questions.

Ugh. Pre-writing backfire. This is the first secondary I've got that switched up the questions.
This once changes their apps every year. But I am sure they will come in use for other colleges?? I hope so at least. This secondary is going to be rough.

Are they sending the secondary to everyone this year? Screen?

Hi,

Does anyone know just how strict the word count is? I've written 160 words for one of the questions and cannot think of any way to cut it down. 150 is a few sentences and it's hard to be concise when you're answering 2 questions with 150 words

Hi,

Does anyone know just how strict the word count is? I've written 160 words for one of the questions and cannot think of any way to cut it down. 150 is a few sentences and it's hard to be concise when you're answering 2 questions with 150 words

I think they are very clear when they say each answer must be 150 words or less.

Secondary received. OOS Applicant (Virginia - no ties).

Regional preference: If you're from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, or Virginia, you have a better chance of acceptance since a significant part of the mission of the school is training healthcare providers for rural Appalachia.

Secondary screening: Be a real person. There are many excellent applicants - over 6,000 applications last year. Once you reach the secondary application, they want to know who you are. Put yourself into your secondary prompts. The interviewers will be using these prompts and your application to ask you questions if you get invited for an interview.

Why I chose the school? Many personal reasons, but even if I didn't, I'd choose the school again. I love small towns, and Morgantown has a small town feel, but the convenience of Walmart, a mall, etc... If you like big city living, you won't like Morgantown. My classmates from New York and other large cities are looking forward to going back. The educators genuinely care and are good people. Research isn't a big priority here, but if you have interest it means there are more opportunities for you to pick a mentor and pursue what you want to do.

Are you saying there were 6,000 primary applications last year, or secondaries? I'm assuming you mean primaries, but I just wanted to clarify. Also, can you validate the notion in previous years threads about secondary application = II? Thanks!

Hi, just wanted to make sure, if I have the OLD mcat score will they not take it? i looked at their admissions site and it says "We will only consider the new MCAT scores from April, 2015 through September 30, 2016." but i took mine summer 2014 :(

also is there a screen for secondaries or do they send it to anyone and everyone?

Hi, just wanted to make sure, if I have the OLD mcat score will they not take it? i looked at their admissions site and it says "We will only consider the new MCAT scores from April, 2015 through September 30, 2016." but i took mine summer 2014 :(

also is there a screen for secondaries or do they send it to anyone and everyone?

I believe they screen. Received secondary today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm a current 4th year at WVUSOM! Let me know if you have any questions throughout the cycle! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Current WVU student. Feel free to ask anything; I think a bunch of current students visit SDN too so you can get a lot of opinions one whatever you're curious about.

Hey guys, I'm a current 4th year at WVUSOM! Let me know if you have any questions throughout the cycle! Good luck!!

Was wondering I don't have a letter of rec yet from one of my science professors, but I have really good letters of rec from one science professor, one non-science (English) professor, one physician from my clinic, and my Research PhD lead project scientist.

Since the letters of rec requirement is that:
A Committee Letter provided by your undergraduate institution is preferred or 3 letters of recommendation of your choice. We will accept a maximum of 4 letters. Please submit all letters of recommendation to AMCAS.

Would it be OK if I didn't send the standard two science, one non science professors?

Seems as though no one has been rejected this year early, so maybe they are not screening (or not as hard). Looking at previous year's threads, people got the cut early and then many of the people who got the secondary were invited for interview. Can anyone confirm or deny with a rejection or inside information?

Was wondering I don't have a letter of rec yet from one of my science professors, but I have really good letters of rec from one science professor, one non-science (English) professor, one physician from my clinic, and my Research PhD lead project scientist.

Since the letters of rec requirement is that:
A Committee Letter provided by your undergraduate institution is preferred or 3 letters of recommendation of your choice. We will accept a maximum of 4 letters. Please submit all letters of recommendation to AMCAS.

Would it be OK if I didn't send the standard two science, one non science professors?

I'm not speaking with any authority at all, but if it says you can pick 3-4 letters of your choice, I'd pick the letters that will best boost your application regardless of their profession. I think that group of people you have there would be a nice combination of people from different fields! Since they say the letters are of your choosing, I wouldn't throw in an extra science letter at the expense of an excellent letter just because it's what you feel like your supposed to do.

Seems as though no one has been rejected this year early, so maybe they are not screening (or not as hard). Looking at previous year's threads, people got the cut early and then many of the people who got the secondary were invited for interview. Can anyone confirm or deny with a rejection or inside information?
I know they just got a new secondary application system this year and this week was their first week using it... they're probably still figuring it out.

holy MOLY, I just added WVU to my application on a whim 20 minutes ago and I have a secondary already. I'm not prepared for this... (but very excited nonetheless!)

Does anyone know if they are still screening this year or does everyone get a secondary?

Does anyone know if they are still screening this year or does everyone get a secondary?

A lady told me that they have a preliminary screen and then they meet again to offer interviews after they've received secondaries.

Also guys, when it says most humbling experience? I have always seen two ways to look at humbling. And experience that you did well and you feel good about yourself for, and an experience that made one less arrogant.

Overall what are your thoughts on this prompt?

Holy crap, what was your secret to getting in here with a 58.8 LizzyM????? Are you IS?
i'm non-traditional with several interesting life experiences and pretty good real world extracurriculars. also my post-bacc gpa was a 4.0, so with the large time gap between undergrad gpa and post-bacc gpa i guess they figured i got my stuff straight

i did apply as is as well, which i am sure did not hurt my cause any

Also guys, when it says most humbling experience? I have always seen two ways to look at humbling. And experience that you did well and you feel good about yourself for, and an experience that made one less arrogant.

Overall what are your thoughts on this prompt?

this one: "an experience that made one less arrogant" is how i would approach it

i'm non-traditional with several interesting life experiences and pretty good real world extracurriculars. also my post-bacc gpa was a 4.0, so with the large time gap between undergrad gpa and post-bacc gpa i guess they figured i got my stuff straight

i did apply as is as well, which i am sure did not hurt my cause any
Well, congrats. Huge accomplishment. Not easy to turn everything around like that. Good luck on your future endeavors!

What do you all think this prompt is referring to? Taking someone's side? Listening to someone? Helping people out?

What do you all think this prompt is referring to? Taking someone's side? Listening to someone? Helping people out?

I took it as describing a time where I stuck my neck out for someone in an effort to help them better their situation.

I took it as describing a time where I stuck my neck out for someone in an effort to help them better there situation.
That's quite the unique prompt. Will probably end up thinking a lot about this. Thank you.

Are you saying there were 6,000 primary applications last year, or secondaries? I'm assuming you mean primaries, but I just wanted to clarify. Also, can you validate the notion in previous years threads about secondary application = II? Thanks!

Around 6,000 primary applications. Secondary application used to = II, but I think last year this was less true than before due to the number of applications. Still, if you get the secondary, there's a really, really good chance of a II.

Around 6,000 primary applications. Secondary application used to = II, but I think last year this was less true than before due to the number of applications. Still, if you get the secondary, there's a really, really good chance of a II.
I really hope you are right. That would be GREAT news.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been rejected pre-secondary? I am not sure they are even screening this year.

Has anyone been rejected pre-secondary? I am not sure they are even screening this year.
Would it be an automatic screen? I got a secondary 20 minutes after I added WVU in amcas.

Would it be an automatic screen? I got a secondary 20 minutes after I added WVU in amcas.
This same situation happened to me which is why I don't think getting a secondary means you have a good chance of an II this year. They probably have an automatic screen for GPA less than 3.0 and MCAT less than 500 though. Hopefully I am wrong though and we all get II!

How soon after submitting the amcas app does it take for them to send out secondaries? And does it send it to the same email that AMCAS has on record?

Also, would it be wise to explain why I got a low CARS section in the prompt where it asks to mention additional things about yourself? My MCAT was fine other than my CARS so I didn't feel there was a need to retake but my CARS score was incredibly low, which doesn't even make sense to me and should not reflect my actual reading skills

How soon after submitting the amcas app does it take for them to send out secondaries? And does it send it to the same email that AMCAS has on record?

Also, would it be wise to explain why I got a low CARS section in the prompt where it asks to mention additional things about yourself? My MCAT was fine other than my CARS so I didn't feel there was a need to retake but my CARS score was incredibly low, which doesn't even make sense to me and should not reflect my actual reading skills

I submitted and was verified before AMCAS sent out applications to schools on 6/24, received my secondary from here 6/28. yes they send it to the email address you listed in AMCAS.

I think whether you want to explain your CARS score is up to you, schools usually just leave that as an open-ended question. there are probably two schools of thought: 1. explain because they'll see it and wonder anyway, or 2. don't explain because it'll draw more attention to it. personally I think if you feel like it's enough for concern, it might make sense to explain it.

I received my MCAT score back on 7/6 and was sent the secondary the same day.
I'm OOS, but I lived in WV until I was five, then moved a town over across the border into PA. All my extended family lives there still and I attend church and have worked in WV (like i said 5 min drive) do you think this will help my chances more than other OOS?

I received my MCAT score back on 7/6 and was sent the secondary the same day.
I'm OOS, but I lived in WV until I was five, then moved a town over across the border into PA. All my extended family lives there still and I attend church and have worked in WV (like i said 5 min drive) do you think this will help my chances more than other OOS?

These ties will definitely help you! Make sure you emphasize them as much as possible in your interview!

secondary received!

EDIT: secondary submitted! let the waiting begin

Last edited:
Keep in mind that although a lot of people get IIs here, the fraction of applicants they ultimately accept post interview is a lot lower than most places. As in, even when you have an II, you are still far from accepted. I interviewed here last year. In case anyone is wondering I was interviewed by two people simultaneously, everyone's interviews were extremely short (~10-15 minutes) and, at least in my case, I think during the interview they were doing some sort of good cop bad cop routine since the woman was very friendly and laid back while the man had his arms crossed and just looked bored/ angry the entire time. I did horribly. They seem to focus in on people that will ultimately practice in a rural setting. I am a NY resident, but I went to undergrad in a far away midwest state, so I think that helped me get the II.

I believe I've heard that this year they're doing two separate interviews, each with one person. So don't be shocked if that happens! I don't think they purposely tried to do "good cop, bad cop", maybe that guy was just having a bad a day of maybe he's just super friendly. It's a bit of luck when it comes down to who interviews you. From who I know on the admissions committee, they're all very nice.

Does anyone know when interview invites start to be sent out?

Curious as to what your reasoning is for the CARS score?

Curious as to what your reasoning is for the CARS score?
I've been reading threads to see things I should not say but there's so much contradicting information out there that I decided to just be honest. I'm planning on saying something along the lines of "I do not know what happened with CARS. Although I knew it was my weakest section when studying, I do not think it as weak as I made it out to be on the MCAT. For a better understanding of where I stand in reading comprehension, please look over my grades from my English courses. As for critical analysis, the new MCAT is designed to be this for all sections. Since I did well on the other sections, I believe my CARS score should not reflect on either my reading comprehension or critical analysis. I am ready and eager to take on the course load given to students by medical schools"

If you have a better idea of what to include or not include, any help is greatly appreciated. Time was also a problem for me but others were like don't mention that you ran out of time.